Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho Surely Deserves a New 1 or 2 year Contract

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on Jeff & Fosun we don't want to lose another Portugal (144 capped) maestro let go out of our midfield squad.
Joao deserves a new 1 or 2 year contract after the last 4 years great service at Wolves. Even if not quite up to it on the pitch in a years time he is crucial for our Wolves team for our other young players in training and in the dressing room with all his experience in world class football. I would like to see him as a coach at WWFC eventually. Or will Fosun mess up Joao's future at Wolves with these on going contract talks?

So please don't take Moutinho away

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have no idea what Joao or his wife feel or want at this point in their lives but it wouldn’t surprise me if Wolves want to keep him at least for another season. He’s too valuable a player for us to at least not try to keep him and although his football days are near an end, him staying buys us some time to focus on bringing in players for other areas in this window.

Plus if Neves leaves, Joao is even more crucial to the team.

I presume at this point it’s all decided and agreed on whether he stays or goes.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely deserves 2 years... and I think he'd take a reduced salary and less minutes if we can show him a route into management (where he's clearly stated he wants to go) and he's also key with Neves leaving and continuity and we may not be able to sign 2/3 central midfielders this summer to even reduce his minutes! Remains to be seen

Player coach now and an apprenticeship into management, and maybe even the hot seat eventually as I think he'd be a top manager one day and a very good coach now

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be swimming against the tide here but we should absolutely not be giving a 35yo (who will be almost 36 when the new season starts) a 2-year contract, no matter how good he's still playing. No other club would do that, especially when you consider he's probably one of our highest earners.

Give him a year and if he earns it then gladly give him another. But at that age form/health can drop off a cliff in just a few months. Wolves can't afford that risk.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be swimming against the tide here but we should absolutely not be giving a 35yo (who will be almost 36 when the new season starts) a 2-year contract, no matter how good he's still playing. No other club would do that, especially when you consider he's probably one of our highest earners.

Give him a year and if he earns it then gladly give him another. But at that age form/health can drop off a cliff in just a few months. Wolves can't afford that risk.
Other than players like Ronaldo and Messi who can demand whatever they want, I don’t think any club in world football would be giving a 36 year old anything longer than a year extension.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another good reason Joao Moutinho should get new contract and stay at Wolves
And you'd imagine a young midfielder, especially from Portugal, would choose us over others if it gave him the chance to play with, and learn from, the great joao Moutinho

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a thought……

Would Wolves allow Neves and Mouthino leave in the same window?

Could cause tons of trouble. If Joao insists that he wants to leave, wouldn’t it be smart business to delay Nieves’s departure until next season?

Unless Jeff is confident he has new proven midfielders lined up to join us.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1 year only for me

He's on £100k a week..
Alternatively give him a 2 year deal
year 1 £70k
year 2 £45k + appearance bonus/incentives

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have no idea what Joao or his wife feel or want at this point in their lives but it wouldn’t surprise me if Wolves want to keep him at least for another season. He’s too valuable a player for us to at least not try to keep him and although his football days are near an end, him staying buys us some time to focus on bringing in players for other areas in this window.

I presume at this point it’s all decided and agreed on whether he stays or goes.
By all accounts he and his family are very happily settled in the area.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With or without Neves Moutinho is less influential each passing week. For me I'd rather see him go as I'm sure he will not want a cut in wages and I can't see him playing so many games, certainly the season after next. Fosun have let things slide so much so that we pretty much need a team re-build now.

MontyR

Reaction score

Can’t remember if I saw it here or on Twitter, but apparently they’re very settled here and the kids love it.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect that Joao will earn more at Wolves in the PL than anywhere else at the age of 35, so even if it is a reduced contract compared to now, surely he would be better off staying here with a route in to coaching?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

2 year deal is madness. And yes Fosun should "penny pinch" on his wages. He isn't worth £5M quid a year.
Would be the sign of a terribly run club to give an 35 year old a 2 year deal to placate the fanbase

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sentimental *******s. Apply some stats and sadly he's not even worth a new 1 year deal. Form is temporary, class is permanent blah, blah, blah. Sadly age is inevitable and while he's been a great player, he is no longer even an average PL midfielder
Just like another Portugal legend Ronaldo now is only just and average PL player and will be playing with him in the World Cup no doubt this winter :)

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 year deal is madness. And yes Fosun should "penny pinch" on his wages. He isn't worth £5M quid a year.
Would be the sign of a terribly run club to give an 35 year old a 2 year deal to placate the fanbase
I'd offer him a 1 year deal on a lower wage and help him with starting his coaching badges and maybe a role at the club.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd offer him a 1 year deal on a lower wage and help him with starting his coaching badges and maybe a role at the club.
This. Great servant, great name to have in order to attract younger talent - but a 1-year deal is surely sensible at his age.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah that could work for sure, half his salary is still £2.5M a year for a 35 year old. Should snap our hands off

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We need a refresh in central midfield and Moutinho should make way. Yes, he is metronomic and in some games that is useful but too often he slows everything down to walking pace. After 1000 top tier games he is not changing for anyone (and neither should he) but we need change.

Palhinha and Nico for the double pivot with MGW for the number 10 role. With three up front ahead of them, we would be a very different, much more threatening prospect.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was very good once although never brilliant, time to say thanks but at his age you wouldn't give out a 2 year contract.

Last edited:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
1 year deal on about £75k with a clause that if he plays in more than half the games, he gets the option of exercising a further year.

If he doesn’t then we give him a pay off of £1.25m (the remaining £25k per week vs his current contract at the end of Year One).

Gives the club some protection that he is still able to perform at this level in two years time. If he does well next season, he earns £75k a week for two seasons. If he doesn’t, he leaves having been ‘made whole’ for the season versus his previous earnings. Can’t see him wanting to stick around if he hadn’t played in half the games.

Seems a respectful offer that would suit both club and player.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a refresh in central midfield and Moutinho should make way. Yes, he is metronomic and in some games that is useful but too often he slows everything down to walking pace. After 1000 top tier games he is not changing for anyone (and neither should he) but we need change.

Palhinha and Nico for the double pivot with MGW for the number 10 role. With three up front ahead of them, we would be a very different, much more threatening prospect.
Yes in the championship

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sell Neves & Moutinho in the same summer we are going down IMO.
The ‘we need a box to box snotter’ crowd haven’t a ****ing clue.
In terms of attracting and retaining top Portuguese talent alone it would be insanity, never mind professionalism, drive to succeed etc etc.

If we do that, ‘project’ isn’t just over it might as well be floating in Michael Barrymoore’s pool.

Be careful what you wish for all you ‘average PL player’ merchants.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Joao average? 144 caps for Portugal, called up again for the next matches and no doubt the world cup. Average is Hwang. JM is class personified, and we need to keep him here for 2 years minimum. Like i have said on another thread, when you are trying to bring youngsters through you need experienced players. Anyone who can't see that does not know football, or life.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joao average? 144 caps for Portugal, called up again for the next matches and no doubt the world cup. Average is Hwang. JM is class personified, and we need to keep him here for 2 years minimum. Like i have said on another thread, when you are trying to bring youngsters through you need experienced players. Anyone who can't see that does not know football, or life.
1653337137026.gif

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If he wants 2, give him 2. If there's going to be big changes this summer we need some continuity - and his experience is priceless. So what if he doesn't play as many games in his 2nd year, would still be great in and around the team, especially if he's looking at going into coaching...

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

1 year deal on about £75k with a clause that if he plays in more than half the games, he gets the option of exercising a further year.

If he doesn’t then we give him a pay off of £1.25m (the remaining £25k per week vs his current contract at the end of Year One).

Gives the club some protection that he is still able to perform at this level in two years time. If he does well next season, he earns £75k a week for two seasons. If he doesn’t, he leaves having been ‘made whole’ for the season versus his previous earnings. Can’t see him wanting to stick around if he hadn’t played in half the games.

Seems a respectful offer that would suit both club and player.
Wages way too high, means he is a first team starter on that money. Massively limits us with the wage bill. Not really ***** about making him a respectful offer, he was outstanding when he came here for 18 months and had a terrible 6 moths and has not been too bad at times this season but he's been paid £5M a year since he arrived. I'd say that's more than enough respect, name him the right offer for Wolves

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, not Joao Moutinho FC

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If he left on a free can you give me a Prem club who you'd think would sign him?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just out of interest why do you have such a hard on for his wages? It’s all you bang on about, as if Jeff is borrowing the money from a loan shark just to pay him.
His transfer fee was 2 stellas and some crisps. His total cost of ownership is more than reasonable for what he gives and has given us. He’s been a bloody bargain in all honesty.

Why the constant tantrum about his wages?

D

Deleted member drgr12429

If he left on a free can you give me a Prem club who you'd think would sign him?
He'd go back to Portugal or France. It's not the point, he's going to get a 2 year deal here, and **** off all the mixers who think for some reason a player of his experience is ****. Age has nothing to do with it. Ronaldo is 37, Zlatan is 40 odd! It's how you treat your body that counts.

Back
Top Bottom