Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Its our club

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im grateful we have had real success in the last five years and i really enjoyed the first three seasons. But watching jeff shi today was awful. He may want esports, fashion and records and thousands of “fans” that love the brand but i worry that any money generated will not come near the football club.

He consigned me and the other 199,999 legacy fans to the dustbin. He even didnt rate the almost 150 year history. But its not his club its ours. He is only todays custodian. I feel conflicted. Is mid table premier league that much better than mid table championship? The football we saw over the last two seasons wasnt great. So do i want shi out? Not yet but i am sure of one thing. I support a football club not a fashion brand. Its our club and the football matters. He had better remember that or he will regret it one day

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He consigned me and the other 199,999 legacy fans to the dustbin. He even didnt rate the almost 150 year history. But its not his club its ours. He is only todays custodian. I feel conflicted. Is mid table premier league that much better than mid table championship? The football we saw over the last two seasons wasnt great. So do i want shi out? Not yet but i am sure of one thing. I support a football club not a fashion brand. Its our club and the football matters. He had better remember that or he will regret it one day

I'm sure 30 years ago there were fans complaining about the Wolves Superstore - that's not what my club is about! Before that, I'm sure there were fans complaining about the portacabin shop - why do we need that when everyone already has a scarf!

No one is asking you to support a fashion brand, and I doubt the e-sports are aimed at your/our demographic either.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm sure 30 years ago there were fans complaining about the Wolves Superstore - that's not what my club is about! Before that, I'm sure there were fans complaining about the portacabin shop - why do we need that when everyone already has a scarf!

No one is asking you to support a fashion brand, and I doubt the e-sports are aimed at your/our demographic either.
I doubt many were complaining about the 'megastore' or portacabin. They are a bit different to the record label and dodgy fashion brand.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im grateful we have had real success in the last five years and i really enjoyed the first three seasons. But watching jeff shi today was awful. He may want esports, fashion and records and thousands of “fans” that love the brand but i worry that any money generated will not come near the football club.

Oh **** off utter nonsense

He needs better PR that’s all

Club is gonna be mid table Prem and not win the league boo hoo

Football was ****ed a while back

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bang on.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Honestly, that is total *******s. You must have selective hearing to come up with that ****.
Take a look in the Jeff Shi thread for a proper explanation of what he said.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Confirmation bias? You were looking for negatives. Maybe listen to what he is actually saying and judge him on how well they have done for wolves.
I would rather Lage went and I criticise signings like hwang. But fosun and shi overall? They do know what they are doing

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Fosun have written off over one hundred million in money Wolves owed to them. They give us no reason to suspect they're trying to siphon money out.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real success? Come on man, get a grip. We finished 7th and had a bit of a cup run. Ultimately winning the square root of naff all.

Where would we be without these lot? Probably still in the Championship.

The real problem is the system that permits 4-5 teams to feel real success and the rest to wonder round aimlessly until failure hits.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very true and very sad
A lifetime of following Wolves for many many people flushed down the pan

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have written off over one hundred million in money Wolves owed to them. They give us no reason to suspect they're trying to siphon money out.
They won't siphon money out, as you put it.

Fosun will and have leveraged the Wolves brand for the benefit of their diverse portfolio.

They will give their diverse portfolio in this entity (currently including esports, music, fashion....others TBA) the attention they need to maximise the wealth of the investment vehicle (Fosun).

Will they have the best or most profitable fashion label? No
Will they have the best esports outfit? probably not, (I know little about esports)
The most lucrative music label? I doubt it

The best football team around? not likely!

But by leveraging a brand, in time the brand can overtake it's core product.

And when the core product is no longer the core product as such and has served its leverage purpose, then it can be cast aside to an increasing degree as it's no longer the brand definer.

Virgin started with a record store. What is Virgin today? And how important to the Virgin empire is that music store?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What exactly did Shi say which **** all over the long term fans? Genuine question as haven't had time to listen through the interview?

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves are in my blood and I’ve seen far worse over the years believe me. Fosun are a business and they’re trying to run the club as such by generating income from various off shoots. It doesn’t bother me and instead of seeing it as a negative I think it’s positive that they’re still committed to growing the club. I’m not entirely sure of Fosun’s intentions and I believe they entered into football with Mendes to make a few quid but nonetheless so far I can’t say they’ve been bad for the club. Do I want top signings costing hundreds of millions with quarter million a week wages? Of course I do but I’m realistic, we are Wolves a medium sized club in the Midlands and without other income streams we will always be up against it when in the Premier.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it's not. It belongs to the owners. The only thing the average followers own is the privilage of pumping in money and support.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
He hasn't **** on local fans, he has stated (correctly) that in order to grow and diversify the club's revenue streams to try and compete with larger (and/or richer) clubs, you need to look beyond the 200,000 local fans, as this is a relatively tapped resource. We need to attract more fans (like the bigger clubs) from more places and have them funnel more money into our brand via merch, e-sports, fashion - so that can fund on-field investment etc.

I repeat again. They're not pumping money into the club willy nilly. We need to make the club sustainable and have revenue streams far broader than at current, for a long period of time.
You cannot have it both ways.
You have to stop being resistant to change if you want the club to actually look to make the next step in the longer term.
If you'd prefer football league obscurity and small time thinking, then so be it.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
While I sort of get esports as a possible diversification (although I've got no idea if there's any real money for the team in it),I don't understand the music or fashion at all. Is anyone buying a record (adapt for 21st Century) on the basis that it's on 'Wolves Records', is anyone buying an item of clothing because it's assosciated with Wolves (except the insane rip-off of club branded stuff)? It's like when people say redevelop and include a hotel. If there was money to be made from a decent hotel in Wolvehampton then there would be one, the number staying because it's 'Hotel Wolves' would be tiny.

On the other hand I'm glad Jeff is doing this and leaving football people to run the football!

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Do you not think £30 million was a tad cheap to buy our club. Written off 100 million lol

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is that even a serious question? Really?

Comparing mid table championship to top half premiership is strange.... we have witnessed the likes of Neves, Moutiniho, Jimenez and others dominate teams like United/Chelsea and others.... in the championship we used to watch the likes of Saville/Edwards get dominated by players like Jonny Howson.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s strange then that every fan I speak to venerates the great man, Sir Jack. Yet when Dave Jones got us promoted, he turned the funding tap off and ultimately collected the Premier League money as a rebate for his previous investments.
Fosun haven’t done that AND they’ve written off over £110m of previous investment.
Shi is right when he says that we have zero chance of competing with the ‘big’ clubs if we don’t increase our international appeal. United, Liverpool and Arsenal have success over the last 40 years, Chelsea and City have had success due to Abramovich’s and the Saudi billions, and Spurs…well, they’re just pretending but they do have a large fan base.
What else is there apart from becoming less parochial and more international?

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let’s say Fosun sold Wolves. What would happen to the e sports, music, fashion etc? Assuming they would not be part of the sale but then what happens with the branding, club logo etc?

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Have say i do not agree with this at all. Jeff is in place to run the business and football is a business. I have brought kits for the kids as they are in to it. I have had two kits in my 56 years. I engage with the commercial side as much i want.

As you say the football has not been great. I think Fosun are intelligent enough to know entertaining football equal big bucks so the ball is in their court. Chicken and egg really.

The underlying current is many people who are so upset that a CEO acts and talks like a CEO. The gripes annoy me as they think their view is the inly one. They seem annoyed because:
a) they a customer with a life time value a this is evident in Jeffs comments
b) there are people who could buy in to concepts like the pack, the wolf, specific player and not yet have a commercially realisable relationship with the club. Get 30%, 10# 3% spending happy days
c) and this for me is the biggest thing that ****es me off; why are Fosun not spending ever penny they have on Wolves.

We can all decide our leave of engagement, and we all can see money needs spending on the pitch but saying mo ey is no object results in higher prices.

If Fosun screw up and are relegated they are the biggest losers. I would rather they make a decent profit as it means one thing- success.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no problem with Shi trying to diversify the fan base and the brand overseas.

I just dont think it's going to work.
I am all for diversifying and "expanding the brand". But no amount of gimmicks will lead to the expansion that they desire until they win a trophy, which requires a staggering amount of capital that they aren't prepared to spend. That's kind of the catch-22 we are stuck with.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I sort of get esports as a possible diversification (although I've got no idea if there's any real money for the team in it),I don't understand the music or fashion at all. Is anyone buying a record (adapt for 21st Century) on the basis that it's on 'Wolves Records', is anyone buying an item of clothing because it's assosciated with Wolves (except the insane rip-off of club branded stuff)? It's like when people say redevelop and include a hotel. If there was money to be made from a decent hotel in Wolvehampton then there would be one, the number staying because it's 'Hotel Wolves' would be tiny.

On the other hand I'm glad Jeff is doing this and leaving football people to run the football!
I was with you right up until the bit where you said "I'm glad Jeff is leaving football people to run the football".

Really? He has said that we are likely to buy Chinese players because they will appeal to the new far-east fanbase, and many here have questioned the logic behind playing Hwang who can't trap a bag of blue circle.

I think our football people - Lage and Sellers - are working under constraints.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have not lost £100m, by way of writing off a loan.

The investment has the same realisable worth to the shareholders before and after the transaction

One thing to point out, as an investor diversifying into various areas, why would you take profits from a profitable area (say hypothetically it was esports) and put it into a less profitable area (say football)?

If your intention is to max profit and wealth, it would make more sense to reinvest in the esports business.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The investment has the same realisable worth to the shareholders before and after the transaction

One thing to point out, as an investor diversifying into various areas, why would you take profits from a profitable area (say hypothetically it was esports) and put it into a less profitable area (say football)?

If your intention is to max profit and wealth, it would make more sense to reinvest in the esports business.
that depends on what you see the future potential growth and profit of the various businesses is. At the moment of areas they are diversifying into are small so have potential for growth with less capital required that where the football side is, after initial growth these may well plateau and at that point the money may make more return in football. Even profit from some diversified areas is going back into those areas it doesn't mean there is no benefit to the other parts of the company. i.e. if overall "brand" is bigger and there is some crossover then bigger market to sell wolves merchandising into and when negotiating sponsorship deals and other commercial deals for the club they maybe able to negotiate larger contract values off the back of that than otherwise.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that depends on what you see the future potential growth and profit of the various businesses is. At the moment of areas they are diversifying into are small so have potential for growth with less capital required that where the football side is, after initial growth these may well plateau and at that point the money may make more return in football. Even profit from some diversified areas is going back into those areas it doesn't mean there is no benefit to the other parts of the company. i.e. if overall "brand" is bigger and there is some crossover then bigger market to sell wolves merchandising into and when negotiating sponsorship deals and other commercial deals for the club they maybe able to negotiate larger contract values off the back of that than otherwise.
Yes it's a whole bunch of hypothecy.

I'm sure Fosun will have their strategy for wealth maximisation in the brand leverage in place..... hopefully the football arm of the conglom fares well.

We will find out in due course

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You’re right that the loans were converted to equity. However, the value of the club the day after the loan was converted, did not mean it increased by the same amount.
Yes, it could be argued that if Fosun wanted to sell the club, having no debt makes it more marketable but it doesn’t guarantee a higher value, or if it does, not to the value of the converted debt.

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I was with you right up until the bit where you said "I'm glad Jeff is leaving football people to run the football".

Really? He has said that we are likely to buy Chinese players because they will appeal to the new far-east fanbase, and many here have questioned the logic behind playing Hwang who can't trap a bag of blue circle.

I think our football people - Lage and Sellers - are working under constraints.

Is that what's its called - I thought they were watching different games to the rest of us

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no problem with Shi trying to diversify the fan base and the brand overseas.

I just dont think it's going to work.
There's little sexy about Wolves as a 'brand'. Yes we've got a cool name and a nice retro badge but that's it; we're a top 12 club from an unfashionable part of the country, we have a slightly crap ground and a boring team. I could theoretically see this approach working somewhere like Chelsea, but at Wolves, nah not a chance.

It makes financial sense to do it, why not - marginal gains and all that, but it won't make much difference. I just think it's something for Shi and his serfs to speak about while we tread water.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am grateful, I dont have any problem being called a legacy fan, its a compliment , almost the opposite of glory hunter.

A badge of honour .

I may have it printed on the back of my shirt .

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s strange then that every fan I speak to venerates the great man, Sir Jack. Yet when Dave Jones got us promoted, he turned the funding tap off and ultimately collected the Premier League money as a rebate for his previous investments.

I agree with that Sir Jack ultimately undid all the good work he did with that, Dave Jones got about 3 million quid to spend I appreciate that times are different in terms of Premier League income but the club recieved a lot of money from promotion and Sir Jack took most of it and also the Parachute payments.... he made as much if not more out of Wolves than what he put in by that promotion.

Back
Top Bottom