Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ipswich Town.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The full first team photo. Back row John Wark, Kevin Beattie, Steve McCall, Kevin O’Callaghan. Middle row Bobby Robson, Arnold Muhren, Paul Mariner, Alan Brazil, Frans Thijssen, Allan Hunter, Bobby Ferguson.
Front row Terry Butcher, Russell Osman, Laurie Sivell, Mick Mills, Paul Cooper, George Burley, Eric Gates.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Not many fans will remember but in 1978 Wolves played Ipswich away on the Tuesday night after they had won the FA Cup on the Saturday.
I travelled down to Portman Road on the Telford Wolves coach, and saw us win 2-1, with the Ipswich players parading the Cup to their fans and us.
They were a great side, so we did very well to win there. We had been in danger of going down but terrifically won our last three matches of the season.

Last edited:

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not many fans will remember but in 1978 Wolves played Ipswich away on the Tuesday night after they had won the FA Cup on the Saturday.
I travelled down to Portman Road on the Telford Wolves coach, and saw us win 2-1, with the Ipswich players parading the Cup to their fans and us.
They had a great side, so we did very well to win there. We had been in danger of going down but terrifically won our last three matches of the season.
I was there too! I skived a day off school and travelled on the Wolves Development coach from behind the north bank. Didn’t Wayne Clarke make his debut?

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I was there too! I skived a day off school and travelled on the Wolves Development coach from behind the north bank. Didn’t Wayne Clarke make his debut?
It was a long trip, so you would need the day off school.
You may recall the Wolves fans were in a block to the left of the goal.
As for Wayne Clarke making his debut, it was a long time ago, he may have done, I would have to look it up.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I said Ipswich were a great side, they had beaten Arsenal in the Cup Final but actually finished below Wolves in the League that 77/78 season.
But they had excellent players, Bobby Robson was magic for them, and went on to further glory, winning the UEFA Cup in 1981.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alan Brazil now weighs as much as that entire Ipswich squad.

Great team though. I remember Shrewsbury turning them over in the Cup in about 1980

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were a great side, so we did very well to win there. We had been in danger of going down but terrifically won our last three matches of the season.
chanting"you`re not playing arsenal now"

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were a wonderful side to watch. They upset the establishment by their achievements. Hence the name Tractor Boys.

Dragonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was at HMS Ganges between 1973 -74 and Ipswich used to train on our grounds. It was a different world back then when the players were so accessible

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say that team picture was taken not long after filming of " Escape to Victory " had finished as John Wark, Russell Osman, Kevin O'Callaghan, Laurie Sivell and Kevin Beattie are all sporting haircuts far shorter than they did usually as Ipswich supplied those players for the film !

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were a very good team in 1980 and played football the Bobby Robson way. Style and flair.

I remember Muhren and Thijssen, both Dutchmen who were consistently 8/9 out of 10 in their performances. Both excellent players with Mariner (RIP) and Brazil in front of them. From memory the Dutchmen arrived at the start of the ‘foreign invasion‘ of players around the same time as Ardiles and Villa at Spurs.

It doesn’t feel like it was 40 years ago does it!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that it was Arnold Muhren who supplied that perfect cross for Marco Van Basten to smash into the roof of the net for one of the all time great goals in the 1988 European Championship Final !

Back
Top Bottom