Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Integrating Young Signings

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been thinking quite a lot about our transfer strategy this week (obviously!)
Clearly, we are going for the 'unearth a gem, build him up, sell him on, rinse, repeat' strategy. All well and good and it makes sense as a sustainable long term plan (provided you don't spend 35 mill on one of them, but that's another story...).

Yes, it will never deliver the world domination, but it also means we aren't going to do a Sunderland/Derby/Villa once the owners realise it's prohibitively expensive to aim higher than the ceiling established.

So, with that in mind, when do we view Berenguez Bolla as a member of the first team squad? What's the plan for integrating the Swiss contingent? Obviously, Toti has come in and done well this month, but it's fair to say that's led by circumstances, as opposed to a concrete plan. I realise a lot of this is dependent upon the performances of the player in question (in training/matches), but I'd be interested to know when we should realistically expect the young incomings to make an impact.

Take the South Korean Mbappe this month. Many - including myself - have discussed our transfers without mentioning him. We did the same with Kilman (for instance), and look at him now. I'm just curious if there are plans in place for succession or if it's very much suck it and see

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said on another thread earlier tonight, many on here accept that Fosun's policy is pretty much bring 'em in cheap, build them up and sell at a profit. I'm now sure we will see this with Neves in the summer. It's certainly a policy but it is a policy that will see us rumbling along in Prem mid-table and for many Wolves fans that is about where we should be and they will be quite happy with that. Not sure that addresses your question but that is the reality of the situation.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will almost entirely depend on how well they do in Switzerland.

They're mid-table in the Swiss league so the step up is massive. As you say, Toti's return was due to circumstances and the face Bruno Lage said a centre-back was a priority suggests he wasn't thinking Toti could make the step up, which is a slight concern.

Bolla will be a few years away as I can't imagine he is viewed as a higher prospect than Hoever and we obviously have Semedo.

I think Toti doing well might convince them to give a few Grasshoppers players a chance but the main aim for them is to buy players, build the value and sell them off I'd imagine. That's what the aim seems to be at Wolves so Grasshoppers is the same but on a smaller scale.

If any standout players emerge we'd obviously expect to get them.

Not going to do us any harm but also doubt it's something we will be able to regularly rely on.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the fact Bruno didn't really have a clue about Toti and Sanderson was the expected replacement for Saiss tells you all you need to know about the Grasshopper thing. Some seem to think it is a sudden production line to our squad, it really isn't. Maybe we should resign Margreitter given he gets games there.

I have lost count of how many we have sent there?

Herc
Ming Yang
Ronan
Bolla
Toti
Bonatini
Campana
Dadashov
Burr
Kawabe
Jung sang Bin

Hardly a whos who is it?

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In terms of the grasshoppers plan... I doubt we need many of then to be successful to prove a worthwhile investment, there will no doubt be some duds along the way but if a few make it to be established Premier League players then the relatively cheap outlay would be worthwhile.

This is a very interesting article explaining if grasshoppers win the Swiss League then players are able to qualify for a work permit they would otherwise struggle to get.i 'm guessing grasshoppers is part of a longterm plan to sign players we may struggle to get due to work permit rules.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of the grasshoppers plan... I doubt we need many of then to be successful to prove a worthwhile investment, there will no doubt be some duds along the way but if a few make it to be established Premier League players then the relatively cheap outlay would be worthwhile.

This is a very interesting article explaining if grasshoppers win the Swiss League then players are able to qualify for a work permit they would otherwise struggle to get.i 'm guessing grasshoppers is part of a longterm plan to sign players we may struggle to get due to work permit rules.
Totally and the better Grasshoppers are the better Wolves will do

Oliver

Reaction score
If Bruno had no clue who Toti was, then why was he recalled in the first place?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Toti continues playing anything like as he has done, that’s pretty much paid for the Grasshoppers contingent.
A premier league sub CB of his age is worth 10-20m all day long.
That’s the idea here, same as academies in general. Only need 1 out of 5-10 to succeed and be premier league capable, and you’ve saved millions in the market.
Get our dross off the wage bill, try to get them in the shop window, find that odd one that will make the grade.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Bolla and Hoever swap, he seems to be doing well, but the home grown element may be at play.

Back
Top Bottom