Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If Saiss signs . . .

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
then we will have a glut of players who can play CM. Clearly Prince and Saiss (and Tex) will stay, but how would you prioritise keeping the CM lads still here from last season?
  • Jack Price - young, can improve, plays at tempo and keeps it moving, leader on the pitch and loves the club (a bonus nowadays)
  • Connor Coady - also young & shows signs of developing, great athlete and offers the best defensive cover
  • Dave Edwards - hard worker though age against this now, contributes some valuable goals, great ambassador for the club (again, not to be sniffed at)
  • Lee Evans - young but largely untried, capable of a defence-splitting pass and learning to play the more simple stuff
  • George Saville - young, can improve, left footed (we don't have many of them) and has an eye for goal
Tricky one since they all bring something to the Wolves table. If we keep (say) three, I would go for Price, Coady and Saville.

Views?

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would agree, however would still keep Evans and give him another loan, to a champ club.

Edwards has been a great servant but i think his best time is behind him, and a fresh start at a new club might reinvigorate his career

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd send Saville and Evans out on loan. Both still young and a lot of room to improve, but both very error prone and would do well with a season out on loan ideally to another Championship club.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't lose any permanently. Evans could go out on loan.

We play 3 in midfield, so we'd have Saiss, Prince, Edwards, Coady, Price and Saville.
That's fine.

All have different qualities and would IMO compliment each other well.

Tex for me will play wider.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When have we ever seen Evans pull off a defence splitting pass?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Price has performed well and seems to have Walter's approval. Coady has come on a lot so far and offers crucial defensive cover. Saville has a spark about him and Dave is well.. Dave.

Only one I'd ship out is Evans on loan till January.

D

Deleted member 4309

Edwards, Evans and Saville can go for me.

Out the three I would give Saville another season. The other 2 just ain't good enough. Edwards has looked more like a chicken this season than previous seasons. He really looks lost. Time for him to move on now. I think he needs it for himself. Evans I've never ever seen anything of him he just trys 40 yard passes and has looked poor since day one.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Evans out on loan again and a transfer with thank you for all your years of service and for being generally a good guy to Edwards. That leaves us with 5 into a midfield 3 with the scope to bring in a Bjarnason now or in Jan

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Edwards hasnt had much of a rest and I thought stablized the team well on Tuesday.

He's also experienced and loves the club. Can't under edit mate this right now

Evans has talent but for me needs games at a higher level than Bradford. Loan move?

Saville has really come on, surprise of the season so far.

B

Benson

Keep them all. We need backups in the squad and when the winter period starts they might all be better than the foreign players. Some of them are qualified to play for the U23 team if they dont make the XI or bench in periods.

Edwards are a bit behind because of the Euros but will be useful later on when back in form.
Evans injured at the moment and can play himself back in the U23 team.
Price and Coady looks in form.
Saville improved a lot last season and can take another step soon.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Edwards hasnt had much of a rest and I thought stablized the team well on Tuesday.

He's also experienced and loves the club. Can't under edit mate this right now

Evans has talent but for me needs games at a higher level than Bradford. Loan move?

Saville has really come on, surprise of the season so far.
I would like to think there'd be a champ club come in for Evans this time, his injury will probably make this unlikely now through

I love Dangerous, and I agree about his value in and around the club. Perhaps I'm impatient to move him on because for me he's always been the benchmark player, the one we need to find better than to be where we want to be, especially when he played as a No.10. If he stays then its no bad thing but for me if it came down to a choice of Dave or an upgrade (not necessary Bjarnason but someone better) then the team would be better off going forward

B

Benson

About Edwards I take the chance to post some stats..
Wolves with Edwards 14/15-16/17: 35 wins, 21 draws, 18 losses.
Wolves without Edwards 14/15-16/17: 3 wins, 9 draws, 10 losses.
Says a lot, in my opinion.

(and for those who says "but we always win with Price", we actually didnt win with him in 11 straight home games last season.. since that article about him "we never lose with Price".. it all went wrong from there, but thankfully back to "normal" this season)

edit: but last season in Wolves for Edwards. Will play for Shrewsbury next season.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Football is a squad game

I would keep them all until we purchase improvements...more than we have now as our squad has been too thin for years...tight **** Moxey

I would send Evans out on loan and only Evans.....the others have a part to play

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't lose any permanently. Evans could go out on loan.

We play 3 in midfield, so we'd have Saiss, Prince, Edwards, Coady, Price and Saville.
That's fine.

All have different qualities and would IMO compliment each other well.

Tex for me will play wider.

This.

4-3-3 seems to be preferred formation. I think we will play with a holding midfielder in front of a back 4, which is the position Saiss will fill as first choice by the sound of things.

That's 5 defensive positions to fill and a lot of players in the squad who can play in a variety of positions within these 5......

Holding Midfielder - Saiss, Coady, Prince
Full Backs - Iorfa, Doherty, Silvio, CBJ, Coady
Centre Back - Batth, Hause, Iorfa, Saiss, CBJ

Effectively that is 9 players to fill those 5 positions, with EEL and/or Williamson to potentially come in (or a new CB) will leave us with at least 2 players for each of these defensive positions.

Then you've got Edwards, Evans, Saville, Price, Coady and Prince (if last 2 aren't holding) competing for the other 2 midfield slots ahead of the holding player. Tex may also come into the mix for one of these slots at some point but I'd agree that I see him being played further forward.

At most we only have one too many midfield players but Zenga may even choose to keep them all at the club.

You then have 3 forward slots that will be filled with any from........

JDB, Dicko, Mason, Wallace, Costa, John, Tex or Henry with another new player probably on the way and Graham and Zyro to come back into the mix at some point.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with NWW and Edge. Preferably ship Evans out on a loan as he would benefit far more from some regular games under his belt rather than at best a very occasional appearance. We need to keep the rest at least until the position becomes clearer by January.

R

reanswolf

The benchmark is to ask whether the individual players could play a part in a team capable of making the playoffs.

I hope Prince is, but I am not sure any of the others are. But that doesn't make them bad players either. Edwards is a good impact sub, and always has been suited to that role, Saville has come on this year, Evans is not setting the world alight sadly - so a loan makes sense. Price may be capable of making that grade, with better players around him. Coady is not good enough for me, but done better at right-back.

F

Floydstreet

It will change by the week and Walter will rotate

However, pending prince and saiss proving their worth I think price is a must and makes things tick, plus the win ratio is great when he plays. Evans and saville don't convince me, Edwards is a great pro, will crop up with key goals and is a great influence in the squad fir younger players.

Wouldn't be surprised if they all play some part however

W

we8wba

Keep all of them till January then reaccess

All capable back up, plus we need make sure new additions up to it

Tex promising but can he slug it out? Looked weak last two game including cup

Prince and saiss unproven hopefully step up but no garuntee they will

D

Deleted member 3545

Keep all of them till January then reaccess

All capable back up, plus we need make sure new additions up to it

Tex promising but can he slug it out? Looked weak last two game including cup

Prince and saiss unproven hopefully step up but no garuntee they will
I tend to agree with you, i dont think there will be many moving out within the next week. I expect January to be the time there's a big clearout

W

we8wba

We have to remember there is no loan window this season

What is in stock after 31st is stock until January

Long period

Hereford Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need to keep every player we can. It's going to be a long hard season and if we are in a good position with three months to go, then we don't want to mess it up by having a glut of injuries and no players.

W

WanderingWolf

I'd loan out Evans, keep the rest. Edwards experience of the club will be vital and no doubt he'll Nick crucial goals for us.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Winning in the cups and the league needs squad rotation . That is for competition, injury cover and adaptability of plans . Guardiola is making central defenders play in an advanced midfield position.
Most of the midfield guys can get enough games, and of course playing in a winning squad feels good and makes for happier players.

I am sure some will go but hopefully players not good enough to stay here. One thing is for certain we wont be playing one striker up front and nine defence minded players behind him !

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it goes through is he seen more of a defensive midfielder or ball playing centreback?? We have price, prince, Evans who can hold so he could be to sure up the defence??

Back
Top Bottom