Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me too!

Off the ball he's actually really good. Makes clever runs. Gets in behind the line well and pops up in the right place.

I don't know what's happened to him though....he's just forgot the football bit of football.

His performance against Liverpool was up there with the worst I've seen in a Wolves shirt and seemed to be the zenith of 5 very very bad months for him

I've watched way too much football in my lifetime and seen all manner of players, the slow and unfit ones, the ones built of twigs and hay, the ones who can't pass to a teammate if their life depended on it, the ones who get afflicted with sudden blindness the moment they get 20 feet from goal.

Hwang doesn't have these issues. As you say, he's pretty bloody good off the ball, he's fast, he's stronger than you'd think given he goes to ground so easily, and I think he'd be a sharp, instinctive goalscorer if only he was played up front.

The problem is his first touch/close control, which is simply, can't-believe-what-I-just-saw, atrocious. And it's the most basic attribute you need in your locker as a wide forward, because every single time the ball comes to you, you need to control it at pace and either run with it or feed it on, and he just can't do it.

Maybe if we weren't so obsessed with the strategy of wide forwards who get dragged back to the halfway line and then expecting miracles from them on the touchline with facing defenders (see also: Podence, Traore, Jota) we'd actually get more benefit from a player like Hwang, who is surely much better at working a yard of space in the box and stabbing the ball into the net, than he is at collecting the ball on the run and then dribbling and quick precision passing.

He's not a winger. The way we play really drives me up the wall sometimes, and it's no wonder players end up scapegoats when they're not played in their right positions.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage hanging Podence out to dry over a medical issue is another symptom of deeper problems. If you look at how many old pros have massive health problems now arising from playing with jabs then l don't blame Podence one little bit.... The fact is that Lage was trying to save his own neck - think that he's an honorary Scouser - never his fault!
Utter nonsense. The stuff about Podences issue came from Spiers, all Bruno has ever said in press conferences is that Podence is unavailable.

I know you like any excuse to slate our head coach’s character but try and get your facts right first.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utter nonsense. The stuff about Podences issue came from Spiers, all Bruno has ever said in press conferences is that Podence is unavailable.

I know you like any excuse to slate our head coach’s character but try and get your facts right first.
Agreed

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thing is if you don't rate the guy as a manager than that is fine I mean we all have opinions about players, clubs and managers but I do feel some have an agenda against Lage since the day he walked in and will look for anything to twist against him which some can be well over the top and out of order imo...

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is if you don't rate the guy as a manager than that is fine I mean we all have opinions about players, clubs and managers but I do feel some have an agenda against Lage since the day he walked in and will look for anything to twist against him which some can be well over the top and out of order imo...
What a load of Bognor. The huge majority of Wolves fans wanted nothing but success for Lage on ‘the day he walked in’. Why try and twist otherwise? that’s an agenda.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a load of Bognor. The huge majority of Wolves fans wanted nothing but success for Lage on ‘the day he walked in’. Why try and twist otherwise? that’s an agenda.
Hmm okay if you say so I remember seeing the same old faces constantly having a pop since the day he was linked to the job like i said no problem if you don't rate him as a Wolves manager but attacking his character constantly for things we don't really know about is out of order....

Also maybe read again what I put as well for a start :rolleyes:.... Never said anything about the " huge majority" I said SOME!

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmm okay if you say so I remember seeing the same old faces constantly having a pop since the day he was linked to the job like i said no problem if you don't rate him as a Wolves manager but attacking his character constantly for things we don't really know about is out of order....

Also maybe read again what I put as well for a start :rolleyes:.... Never said anything about the " huge majority" I said SOME!
There is always going to be ‘some’ ..more than one. I said ‘huge majority’ supported him to counteract your pithy ‘some’ ..why bother using a minute number to make a case. As I repeat a load of Bognors.
Why don’t you quote/name ’same old faces’ to make more of a pointed argument than broad brushing the whole board?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is always going to be ‘some’ ..more than one. I said ‘huge majority’ supported him to counteract your pithy ‘some’ ..why bother using a minute number to make a case. As I repeat a load of Bognors.
Why don’t you quote/name ’same old faces’ to make more of a pointed argument than broad brushing the whole board?
What's with you twice now saying a load of Bognor's I mean come on mate you have a bad time in Butlins in the past or something? ;)

I'm not going to go back and look for the posts because:

1. I can't be *****.
2. Yeah same as number one really not worth it.

As for broad brushing the whole message board it really isn't that big...

Anyway have a good rest of your day.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've watched way too much football in my lifetime and seen all manner of players, the slow and unfit ones, the ones built of twigs and hay, the ones who can't pass to a teammate if their life depended on it, the ones who get afflicted with sudden blindness the moment they get 20 feet from goal.

Hwang doesn't have these issues. As you say, he's pretty bloody good off the ball, he's fast, he's stronger than you'd think given he goes to ground so easily, and I think he'd be a sharp, instinctive goalscorer if only he was played up front.

The problem is his first touch/close control, which is simply, can't-believe-what-I-just-saw, atrocious. And it's the most basic attribute you need in your locker as a wide forward, because every single time the ball comes to you, you need to control it at pace and either run with it or feed it on, and he just can't do it.

Maybe if we weren't so obsessed with the strategy of wide forwards who get dragged back to the halfway line and then expecting miracles from them on the touchline with facing defenders (see also: Podence, Traore, Jota) we'd actually get more benefit from a player like Hwang, who is surely much better at working a yard of space in the box and stabbing the ball into the net, than he is at collecting the ball on the run and then dribbling and quick precision passing.

He's not a winger. The way we play really drives me up the wall sometimes, and it's no wonder players end up scapegoats when they're not played in their right positions.
Absolutely spot on. He's not a bad player but he does have a bad touch. He's one of those who I'm sure will just grab goals through positioning, runs, and work rate.

His touch makes him a poor team player further back for me, but what isn't excusable is the constant going to ground and hand waving. Cut that out.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on.

Question is, in what role in Lage’s team, given his strengths and weaknesses, does it work?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on.

Question is, in what role in Lage’s team, given his strengths and weaknesses, does it work?
not with three up top. He is best in a two IMHO. His first touch needs work this summer. Sort that and his confidence will improve. He gets into some good positions, but at times his touch has let him down.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not with three up top. He is best in a two IMHO. His first touch needs work this summer. Sort that and his confidence will improve. He gets into some good positions, but at times his touch has let him down.

The concerning thing is his age. That if he hasn't got it by now, then it's too late. Could it be more confidence than anything else? Though Hwang has recently been the worst we've seen at this level, he wasn't this bad at first? Though thinking back, it started with him dropping that clanger that gave Villa a goal in the one we eventually won 3-2.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Was watching some of our highlights of games at the start of the season to check if my memory of us giving up good chances every game was correct, and his build up play work was so much better than currently. Also got the ball played in behind which helped.

Confidence a thing he is massively low on

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do a MGW with him, send him on loan to a Championship club. I wouldn't write the lad off yet as a Premiership player but he has struggled at that level. The Championship should allow him to re-build his confidence and hopefully come back and prove himself a Premiership player.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do a MGW with him, send him on loan to a Championship club. I wouldn't write the lad off yet as a Premiership player but he has struggled at that level. The Championship should allow him to re-build his confidence and hopefully come back and prove himself a Premiership player.

I think you're missing the most point of why we signed and play Hwang - if he's playing if the Championship it doesn't improve our "fanbase" in Asia, which is Shi's specific aim. It's not about improving us as a team or him as a player, it's about generating media attention for the ****ing "brand"

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He'll be alright as an option off the bench next year, if he is a consistent starter I'd be worried but with a break and his confidence back a bit then he'll do ok - as long as we have a midfield who progress the ball.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have partnered with returns solution Rebound to offer a simpler, more sustainable and cost effective way for customers to return their items.

Do you think they have anyone in mind?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have partnered with returns solution Rebound to offer a simpler, more sustainable and cost effective way for customers to return their items.

Do you think they have anyone in mind?

Well, I've just been re-reading the retained list and I notice Hwang is not on it.

Probably omitted in error - or maybe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, I've just been re-reading the retained list and I notice Hwang is not on it.

Probably omitted in error - or maybe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
They are counting him as still on loan. Will probably be announced (again) as our star signing, when the window opens. Cue madness on social media in Korea!

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're missing the most point of why we signed and play Hwang - if he's playing if the Championship it doesn't improve our "fanbase" in Asia, which is Shi's specific aim. It's not about improving us as a team or him as a player, it's about generating media attention for the ****ing "brand"
I simply don't buy this and think we need to knock this argument on the head immediately. We know Fosun are trying to monetize the Wolves brand in China, but South Korea and China are not the same country, and beyond a social media account there aren't really ways for South Koreans to engage with or spend money on Wolves stuff.

It's like saying that a British owned Chinese basketball team signing a Croatian basketballer are simply trying to grow their brand in Britain.

There were good footballing reasons to sign Hwang, and he could still come good. I bet no Spurs fans say all this guff about Son.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I simply don't buy this and think we need to knock this argument on the head immediately. We know Fosun are trying to monetize the Wolves brand in China, but South Korea and China are not the same country, and beyond a social media account there aren't really ways for South Koreans to engage with or spend money on Wolves stuff.

It's like saying that a British owned Chinese basketball team signing a Croatian basketballer are simply trying to grow their brand in Britain.

There were good footballing reasons to sign Hwang, and he could still come good. I bet no Spurs fans say all this guff about Son.
Probably because Son is world class whilst Hwang is championship level.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm sure in his interview Jeff said something about getting into the Asian market, not the Chinese market, which makes me think they will use any player they can to exploit that.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re your last para l agree. Of course Hwang doesn't appear to be in the same class as Song. On last season's form that's like comparing a Blackpool beach donkey to the Grand National winner.

Back
Top Bottom