Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How Simeone has reinvented Atletico

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
Really interesting and good article. AM have moved to a back three with wingback to become more expansive and are now scoring more goals. I think the key point is that Nuno recognises that he wants to develop the team into a more attacking force - whether that is with a three at the back of four is in many ways irrelevant. We do not have the players that AM have and it may take time but we will get there. AM have been at the top table for a lot longer than we have. Also note that the £100m man 'failed' to make the mark he was expected to when he arrived in AM but is now really starting to look the part. Perhaps a lesson to us all and that we should continue to believe in Nuno and Fabio!!

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really interesting and good article. AM have moved to a back three with wingback to become more expansive and are now scoring more goals. I think the key point is that Nuno recognises that he wants to develop the team into a more attacking force - whether that is with a three at the back of four is in many ways irrelevant. We do not have the players that AM have and it may take time but we will get there. AM have been at the top table for a lot longer than we have. Also note that the £100m man 'failed' to make the mark he was expected to when he arrived in AM but is now really starting to look the part. Perhaps a lesson to us all and that we should continue to believe in Nuno and Fabio!!
Yes, a point that seemed a complete misconception to me was that for us develop into a more possession based and attacking team we had to move from a back 3 to a back 4.

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Atletico are slipping up at the moment. They lost 0-2 at home and drew the match before that. Atletico could have had an 11 point lead a few weeks ago. Now it's down to 3 with a game in hand.
Real Madrid are doing what they nearly always do. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Real Madrid win la Liga. This is a shame, as Real Madrid and Barca have been below par and this was a great opportunity to win la Liga.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst Atletico have undoubtedly changed there is a big variable to take into account, both Real and Barcelona are in a major slump and arent offering any sort of challenge
For years the Spanish 'Big Two' systematically spent more money than they had (and by various means had been sustained/bailed out) but it looks like the pigeons are coming home to roost and they can't just buy the top players again. Ironically AM getting into a position where they can challenge on a sustained basis may well be one of the things that undermined that business model.

Last edited:

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of the time if you spend the most and get the best players, you finish highest. Everyones raving about Man City, Peps spent about half a billion on wing backs, they might now look a bit solid at the back.
But yes interesting how we can change in a similar way, football can be a bit dull just sitting back, and we were getting very predictable (except Adama!)

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can you imagine the day when we're comfortable and effective playing both 3 at the back and 4 at the back?

It literally halves the time the opposition has to prepare because they wouldn't know which system we were going to play so would have to prepare for both.

Then we would also be able to switch mid-game depending on the circumstances.

I'm looking forward, hopefully, to some kind of tactical nirvana where one of the centre backs can just step up into midfield and we can just switch between 3 and 4 "on the fly" as the americans would say.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Patience is something in short supply in the PL and certainly amongst fans where expectations are high, not just at Wolves. Strange how some were calling for a 442 to make us more attacking yet AM have discovered its limitations.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you imagine the day when we're comfortable and effective playing both 3 at the back and 4 at the back?

It literally halves the time the opposition has to prepare because they wouldn't know which system we were going to play so would have to prepare for both.

Then we would also be able to switch mid-game depending on the circumstances.

I'm looking forward, hopefully, to some kind of tactical nirvana where one of the centre backs can just step up into midfield and we can just switch between 3 and 4 "on the fly" as the americans would say.

Is this the way they are coached though? Or that we get players in who will sit deep rather than be comfortable stepping up.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't watch the Chelsea game so this isn't based on that
I think the team they had that won the league some years ago and reached European finals was a lot better
I like Atletico but I don't think they are a top top side at the moment

Back
Top Bottom