Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How much do we need to spend? Really?

D

Deleted member 11332

I would argue we need to spend a very large sum if they wish to challenge for a European place next season. Seeing Vile trying to sign Buendia who will cost around £35 million shows you what level of spending we will need to do to improve this squad which is in dire need of upgrades in numerous positions.

Trouble is are Fosun going to invest significantly this summer without selling any of our best players? I have my worries and doubts about this.

We got, Moutinho, neves and Neto combined for around that kind of money because it's stupid buying off other English clubs as you end up paying that kind of stupid money.

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It really is difficult to say without knowing the manager and his preferred system and who will be leaving from the group we would prefer to keep. This is how I would categorise them - knowing there will be some who will leave that will break my heart :(

Keep/Sign

Patricio, Sarkic, Söndergaard
Semedo, Jonny, Boly, Coady, Kilman, RAN, Gomes, Hoever
Neves, Neto, Traore, Podence, MGW
Fabio, Raul

From that list, I do expect Patricio and Neves to leave - £45m if we are lucky by the sounds of it.

Let Go/Not Signed

Sais (£1m)
Dendoncker (£8m)
Moutinho
Marcal
Vintina (not done enough for me)
Jose
Jordao (£500k)
Mir (£12m)
Cutrone (£8m)
Vinagre (£8m)
Sanderson £2m - (only because I think we have better in the U23's)
Giles (£500k)
Campona (£250k)

If that came to pass that would be eight of the current 1st team squad leaving - Patricio, Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Sais, Marcal, Vintina, and Jose.

My get rid list would generate about £38m with a bit of luck - and a big chunk of wages as well. Added to the £45m for Patricio and Neves.

So, both groups would generate a transfer kitty of about £80m - maybe we could push that to £90m - but that will have to fund a lot of new players

New Goal Keeper (Loan)
New Centre Back (£15m)
Left-Wing Back - RAN (£20m)
Left-Wing Back - Cover (Loan)
Defensive Midfield (£10m) - Replace Neves
Defensive Midfield (£10m) - Replace Moutinho
Box-to-Box Midfield (£10m) - Replace Dendoncker
Attacking Midfield/No10 (£10m)
Winger (Loan)
Striker (£15m) - Quick Jota type

There will be a lot of players in France looking for moves as financially clubs are on their knees, and with Mendes still onside (hopefully) we might pull a couple of bargains out of the hat - but whatever way you look at it we will see a big turnover of players this season.

I still maintain there are bargains in the lower leagues in the UK that could bolster the squad, yes you might be taking a punt but they may just work and could be useful if we get relegated

I would take a long look at Mallik Wilks at Hull city - 20 goals in 50 games. This season he got 19 goals and 8 assists - I know it's league one, but the lad is only 22. If we had a U23 in league one with those stats we would be calling for him to be given a chance. Maybe we can get him for £15m - Hull will be in the Championship next season, if this lad does as well there, he will be a £25m player. A risk yes, but worth a punt if you ask me.

Siriki Dembélé at Peterborough is another prospect. Ten assists and ten goals and only 24 - really rapid as well. Only a year left on his deal and turned down a contract - Celtic interested apparently. Worth a punt at £500k?

There are deals to be done, we just have to look a bit further than Mendes.
Otasowie would surely step up too. Great post I totally agree apart from your Sanderson assumption. Villa managed it with 2 guys from Brentford ( Konsa and Watkins) a right back from Forest (Cash) a left back who couldn’t get in Southampton’s team ( Targett) and won their player of the season and a cast off Arsenal goalie

Last edited:

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All things staying equal..our starting eleven season 21/22.

Patricio
Semedo-Coady-Boly-RAN
Donk-Neves
Traore-Moutinho-Neto(from November at least)
Jimenez

Seems pretty obvious to me we need to strenghten the positions of Moutinho and Dendoncker and Coady or Boly.

Three quality additions here..let´s say it´s 70-80 Mill in the Covid market of today.

Since we don´t know which players is going out this point in time..there is no point in speculating other areas and other players.

If replacing Joao,Leander and say Coady..we might be able to get 45 Mill.

This means a net outlay of 25-35 Mill...a sum we can easily afford.

As Leicester and so many more has shown..it is about quality in recruitment and strengthening the team in those positions that most warrants it at any given time.

It is up to us to get it right this window.

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SELL:

Patricio : 10m

Mouts: 7m

Traore: 40m

Coady: 19m

Saiss: 10m

Cutrone: 5m

Mir: 12m

Vinagre: 10m

Buy (Assuming 4-3-2-1 formation)

Lopes: 15m

Trincao: 40m

Tapsoba: 16m

Ramiro Funes Mori: 8m (Reserve Player)

Roberto Gagliardini : £5m
or
Otavio: 7m
or
Pizzi: £17m

Guedes: 15m

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the manager wanted to bring in a lot of his own players and we had to be brutal we could raise money through selling.
Vinagre 10 million
Cutrone 7.5 million
Coady 15 million
Saiss 3 million
Rui 10 million
Mir 15 millon
Killman 4 million
Jordao 2 million
Dendoncker 15 million
Gibbs white 7.5 million
Ryan Giles 1 million
Moutinho 1 million

Total 92 million

New goalie
Semedo Boly new defender ait nouri

Traore neves new midfielder neto

Raul new striker

D

Deleted member 11332

SELL:

or
or

Miles out on a few of those fees. The Tapsoba fee. At least double that and I still think it's not quite there. Coady won't fetch more than 10m and pizzi would cost 25m+ I'd say. We'd get nothing for Moutinho, maybe a nominal 1-2m same for Saiss.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really is difficult to say without knowing the manager and his preferred system and who will be leaving from the group we would prefer to keep. This is how I would categorise them - knowing there will be some who will leave that will break my heart :(

Keep/Sign

Semedo, Jonny, Boly, Coady, Kilman, RAN, Gomes, Hoever
Neves, Neto, Traore, Podence, MGW
Fabio, Raul

From that list, I do expect Patricio and Neves to leave - £45m if we are lucky by the sounds of it.

Let Go/Not Signed

Sais (£1m)
Dendoncker (£8m)
Moutinho
Marcal
Vintina (not done enough for me)
Jose
Jordao (£500k)
Mir (£12m)
Cutrone (£8m)
Vinagre (£8m)
Sanderson £2m - (only because I think we have better in the U23's)
Giles (£500k)
Campona (£250k)

If that came to pass that would be eight of the current 1st team squad leaving - Patricio, Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Sais, Marcal, Vintina, and Jose.

My get rid list would generate about £38m with a bit of luck - and a big chunk of wages as well. Added to the £45m for Patricio and Neves.

So, both groups would generate a transfer kitty of about £80m - maybe we could push that to £90m - but that will have to fund a lot of new players

New Goal Keeper (Loan)
New Centre Back (£15m)
Left-Wing Back - RAN (£20m)
Left-Wing Back - Cover (Loan)
Defensive Midfield (£10m) - Replace Neves
Defensive Midfield (£10m) - Replace Moutinho
Box-to-Box Midfield (£10m) - Replace Dendoncker
Attacking Midfield/No10 (£10m)
Winger (Loan)
Striker (£15m) - Quick Jota type

There will be a lot of players in France looking for moves as financially clubs are on their knees, and with Mendes still onside (hopefully) we might pull a couple of bargains out of the hat - but whatever way you look at it we will see a big turnover of players this season.

I still maintain there are bargains in the lower leagues in the UK that could bolster the squad, yes you might be taking a punt but they may just work and could be useful if we get relegated

I would take a long look at Mallik Wilks at Hull city - 20 goals in 50 games. This season he got 19 goals and 8 assists - I know it's league one, but the lad is only 22. If we had a U23 in league one with those stats we would be calling for him to be given a chance. Maybe we can get him for £15m - Hull will be in the Championship next season, if this lad does as well there, he will be a £25m player. A risk yes, but worth a punt if you ask me.

Siriki Dembélé at Peterborough is another prospect. Ten assists and ten goals and only 24 - really rapid as well. Only a year left on his deal and turned down a contract - Celtic interested apparently. Worth a punt at £500k?

There are deals to be done, we just have to look a bit further than Mendes.

Unfortunately this isn't a video game where you can sell a core of players and bring in a load of new ones. Yes bring in 2-3 max so they can settle and integrate into the squad.

When spurs sold Bale and purchased seven players it didn't cause instant success, pretty much the opposite.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Irrespective of what we might get by selling some of our existing players Fosun need to inject £40-50M if we want to make any sort of progress. Sadly I don't think they will do this but I hope I am proven wrong.
If we are to get any decent new manager he would expect to have at least that sort of amount to bring in two or three players of his choice.

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Miles out on a few of those fees. The Tapsoba fee. At least double that and I still think it's not quite there. Coady won't fetch more than 10m and pizzi would cost 25m+ I'd say. We'd get nothing for Moutinho, maybe a nominal 1-2m same for Saiss.
I’ll be honest I based tapsoba’s fee on a hitc headline and the rest on fm21 :p

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
between 40 to 60 million outlay on top of the player sales muted which i think will raise 40m

(this does not include Neves)

Keep/Sign

Semedo, Jonny, Boly, Coady, Kilman, RAN, Hoever, Dendoncker
Neves, Neto, Traore, Podence, MGW, Vitinha
Fabio, Raul

Patricio most likely to Leave

U23s to return and get either loan or playing time in the u23 squad

Giles, Shabani, Campana, ronan, dadasshov, herc, matheson

Let Go/Not Signed

Ruddy
Sais (£5-10m)
Moutinho (2to 5m)
Marcal - personally believe there is no benefit of him still being around the squad, but likely to be kept.
Jose
Jordao (£5-10m)
Mir (£12m, hopefully, more or make weight with valencia)
Cutrone (£10m)
Vinagre (£10m) - makeweight hopefully for vinicius
Sanderson £2m to £4m

Bonatini,samuels ennis, herc, i think likely to be moved on

Based on the suggestion, we need 40m on top of the sales which again estimated at c.£45m maybe more with addons

Thats £85m,

The following players will be signed.

(Ran c.£20m, Vitinha, £17.1m)

Leaving c.£47 million for signing

The manager to come in is likely to be continental, Portuguese, we dont have thelwell anymore, so unless sellars is going to drive domestic transfers they will be mendes carousel or european/south american signings

keeper - if patricio leaves a new keeper likely needed, or we may start looking if they dont think Sarkic can be number 2 (although i think they have signed him as a long term successor to Ruddy)

Option - probably SA from olympiakos. - £10 to 15m

CB

We need a new centre back thats a given, and letting saiss go in my plan means we need that option anyway to flesh out the squad.
We, i expect will sign young players also.

Realistic players -
Ferro (may get on the cheap from benfica)
Todibo - on loan at nice, a previous target
Tapsoba - leverkeusen
Queirós - familicao
Leite - Porto

Older potential options
Burda - kyiv
Rugani - juve (again previous links)

Then the mendes clients

Otamendi
Vezo
Wallace
Cardoso
Almeida
Carvalho
Bajrami- benfica u23s positive things said about this lad, but very early days (Potential Youth Signing)
Claudio Silva - familicao u23s (Potential Youth Signing)

So in terms of Centre back from those options i expect 20m outlaid - with addons could be up to 30m

Midfielder / DM and AM

So with moutinho going, vitinha would be your automatic replacement.

This would all change if neves goes

Realistic options

Luis Florentino - young Portuguese,
Gustavo Assuncao - Young Brazilian at Familicao
Palinha - sporting lisbon

Oliveria - porto (mendes client)

Mendes clients wise

Pizzi
Carvalho
Augusto
Fernandes - sporting u23
Resinho
Valente - porto b
Sousa - sporting B
lobato - sporting B

I expect a loan option or loan to buy in this area, if not it will be a 10-15m outlay

Finally the forwards wingers

Again another loan option or part exchange, Favours here, similar to how we got hooever on the back end of jota deal

Vinicius
Kang lee-in
Guedes
Trincao

Last edited:

RobB

Reaction score
I expect the remit will be to develop our young players, we won't be spending much, except on other young players to develop.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Spending 100 million this summer shouldn't be a problem for the club because:

1. The losses from the Championship season have now rolled off the FFP period
2. We buy young players that should retain or grow in value
3. Player purchases are amortised so 100 million in transfers would only hit our accounts by 25 million this coming season
4. We have plenty of cash on tab from Fosun for cashflow as a loan if required.

I'm expecting a massive summer of transfers to rebuild

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difficult one but we need at least 1 CB, a CM with legs and probably somebody for the wide positions. So I’d say, without taking into account sales we are looking at £60m+. That really doesn’t seem a lot but we don’t know what the market is going to look like but with clubs around us presumably setting similar targets and looking to improve we really can’t be p**sing around with trying to sell before we even look at signing.

What I will say is that the form of MGW at the end of the season and in his best position has encouraged me massively and may have saved the club having to sign another AM for now.

Id still sign Vitinha and Ait-Nouri; I feel that maybe Marcal and him might actually be able to cover the LB position and keep it warm for Jonny like they were meant to do this season.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Some of the suggestions in this thread are a bit mad. Many of these players wouldn't even given us the time of day, people are suggesting starters at top clubs who are drawing interest from bigger clubs. I guess they are wishlists and dreaming is for free

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spending 100 million this summer shouldn't be a problem for the club because:

1. The losses from the Championship season have now rolled off the FFP period
2. We buy young players that should retain or grow in value
3. Player purchases are amortised so 100 million in transfers would only hit our accounts by 25 million this coming season
4. We have plenty of cash on tab from Fosun for cashflow as a loan if required.

I'm expecting a massive summer of transfers to rebuild

While all of this is true the club have been saying that they're broke, and that there's no money to spend for transfers which in my opinion is bull****

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With this money issue people have, we managed to find a lot of money to fund those first 2 summers under Nuno, when we didn't even have premier money.
Whoever the new manager is, will want a bit of a warchest and we'll probably just play the amortisation card again.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am still both amazed and a little sad to read that a significant number of members would be happy to get shot of our captain.
We are fortunate to have him.
While he does make the occasional mistake it is hardly surprising with the other defenders he has to play with.
This to me is proven by the quality of his England performances.
Southgate is well aware of Conor's abilities both as a player and a leader... :):)

WolvesKop

Reaction score
SELL:

or
or

Tapsoba will cost about £52 mill according to this article.

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
I honestly don't feel we need more centre backs, I loved nuno but his persistence with saiss and dedonker were not my choice. What did killman do wrong? And there's some serious talent on the rails (we don't sell sanderson either)
The investment is all in the centre of that midfield. Sorry to say mouts, neves and dedonker I'm bored of you, I'm bored watching the depth the backward passes, the same corners. That's where we invest.
Up front silva appears to be gaining momentum with raul and possibly mir that's as good as any option. I e final one podence, great, great ability but if he's going to compete the new manger needs to get a grip

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
aren't we most likely to spend around the 70 mil mark, like we did last season? might be a good yardstick.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I honestly don't feel we need more centre backs, I loved nuno but his persistence with saiss and dedonker were not my choice. What did killman do wrong? And there's some serious talent on the rails (we don't sell sanderson either)
I would have agreed, if Kilman had played more. I think he's looked like he has the potential to be a good premier league defender, and when he 'broke through' briefly earlier this season I thought a year of regular games might make him the next answer. But for whatever reason he didn't get those games, and I do feel we need a top quality defender in who is ready now.

R

reanswolf

The investment is all in the centre of that midfield. Sorry to say mouts, neves and dedonker I'm bored of you, I'm bored watching the depth the backward passes, the same corners. That's where we invest.
Up front silva appears to be gaining momentum with raul and possibly mir that's as good as any option. I e final one podence, great, great ability but if he's going to compete the new manger needs to get a grip
Agree but Neves would thrive with better partners in CM.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree but Neves would thrive with better partners in CM.

100%. Well...I'd change 'better' to 'more suitable' as a quibble. Because it doesn't get better than Joao Moutinho. But I'm being pedantic there, I agree with what you're saying. I find it endlessly frustrating that fans talk about Neves "not stepping up" or not progressing. Take his tackles and interceptions out of the team and we'd be several places lower in the league. In my opinion he's carried the team at many stages this season, it's just unfortunately he's been carrying a team to stop them falling apart, rather than carrying them any further up the hill. He has a vision and a passing range that the team hasn't been able to exploit for about eighteen months now. With midfield partners who were getting upfield, making interesting runs into the final third or towards the channels, Neves would be doing 'filth' every week. As it is, he's just been used lately to defend.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%. Well...I'd change 'better' to 'more suitable' as a quibble. Because it doesn't get better than Joao Moutinho. But I'm being pedantic there, I agree with what you're saying. I find it endlessly frustrating that fans talk about Neves "not stepping up" or not progressing. Take his tackles and interceptions out of the team and we'd be several places lower in the league. In my opinion he's carried the team at many stages this season, it's just unfortunately he's been carrying a team to stop them falling apart, rather than carrying them any further up the hill. He has a vision and a passing range that the team hasn't been able to exploit for about eighteen months now. With midfield partners who were getting upfield, making interesting runs into the final third or towards the channels, Neves would be doing 'filth' every week. As it is, he's just been used lately to defend.
donc. in the last game according to the stats. didn`t win a tackle or make a single interception.
did make a run forward and had an assist to an assist

Back
Top Bottom