Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Holding the club to account

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who is holding the club to account? I don't expect the fans parliament to as that is something organised and controlled by the club. I expect the local newspaper, who have access to the club to ask the difficult questions but I don't see it happening. The club should be squirming to answer the following:

1. Why don't we have a senior Centre Forward that the manager has confidence in?
2. Why did we spend money on Byrne and Wallace and not play them
3. Why are we unable to identify targets before we sell our best players so that there is a seamless transformation. In some cases we have 12 months notice and most businesses are able to get a replacement in, in that time
4. Even if we can't get a replacement of exactly the same quality we should be able to get someone who has the potential - Sako wasn't anywhere near the player he was when he left when he joined.
5. Why are we letting players go out on loan with a view that their career with Wolves is at an end and then recall them and play them? If they weren't good enough originally (why did we buy them?) what has happened in the interim to get them first team places?
6. Why did we originally loan in an 18 year old to play left wing and loan out a player who actually took the position?
7. Over the last three seasons we have played our best with pace and with Dicko up front stretching the opposition back four so why have we not tried to replace him with a similar player or inject pace in the side? its not as though we haven't had since August to do so. We do not need a slow useless lump up front despite the manager thinking otherwise
8. Why do we go for the same targets over and over again? when will you understand that no means no and if they don't want to come the first time offering an extra pie is unlikely to change their mind. If they do change their mind is it for the right reason or have they been dumped by their first choice and we'll do? if that's the case no thanks
9. We understand that the club is looking to build from the inside through the academy but will that investment remain in place considering the current owner has thrown a tantrum and put the club up for sale?
10. With regard to said owner - will he provide sufficient investment to keep the club out of League 1?

I am sure that there are many other questions fans would have and I know that we are only lowly supporters that are considered lower than amoeba by football administrators, players and national press but I do think we deserve truthful answers and that the local rag should be trying to get them. I for one am sick of being treated like a mushroom.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure Tim Spiers will be asking all of the above

R

reanswolf

Great questions Bawtry, add to that why did we sell Stearman and say we would place faith in youngsters at centre back, then go again for experience. Its so amateurish its almost unbelievable.

You're right, the local press should be far more inquisitive and damning than they currently are. Pretty limp and languid is how I would describe the E & S these days - overall a pretty disappointing and pointless read.

M

Mr Wolf

It's all down to poor recruitment & tactics for me. One player in that whole squad yesterday with any pace & energy. That's fine if you've got good intelligent technical players who can get on the ball but we don't have that either.

We are a basic 4-4-2 team without the strikers & wingers currently.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of the questions you ask Bawtry are correct for the manager not for those 'controlling' the club.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All fair questions. We are pretty poor in every area at the moment save for picking up promising young players.

I can't believe the club hasn't even commented on the transfer window as yet.

We have an owner who is jumping ship and doesn't offer an explanation, a CEO and Head of Recruitment who seem to have disappeared, and a manager who seems to be increasingly losing the plot. Meanwhile fans are voting with their feet and the crowds for league games next season may well resemble the attendance for league cup games against the likes of Newport.

Yet there is total silence. Who, if anyone is taking responsibility and what do they intend to do about this?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
probably most of the questions should be asked of Jackett and Thelwell although I do think our CEO and 'Owner' have a lot of responsibility for what's going on. What I would add though is that in my now 40 years of following football and Wolves specifically, is that fans are bothered by what's on the pitch. If the fare on the pitch is good the owners get a relatively easy ride. We do appear to have several people in key roles who are out of their depth and can't cope and I would include the two Ms, Thelwell and Jackett in that. It cannot be that difficult to assemble a squad that has left and right footed midfielders, a centre forward and a left back - even under the Bhattis we managed that and given our relative prosperity compared to others its unforgivable that we haven't been able to do so.

What is baffling as well is that with someone of Morgan's apparent business acumen no one has worked out that to maximise the sale price of an asset it helps to present it in the best possible light. To use an analogy that our 'owner' may understand if you sell a house in a sorry state needing a new kitchen, new bathroom and significant rewiring and a complete redecorate you cannot expect to get the same price as the house that has kept up with the times and is, whilst not necessary perfect, good to move in to and the new owner only needs to spend a small amount to get a good return. At the moment Morgan's asset is devaluing by the day.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is, Jackett & Thelwell are the one who those questions should be pointed at.

Moxey is just as much to blame, We identify targets but he doesn't get the deals done, this can only be down to the fact he isn't offering attractive enough deal..

R

raging bull

I feel that its more to do with the balance of the age of the players .
I'm all for introducing the younger players into the first team squad but not right across the bloody back line for Christ sake .
That in itself as pulled the midfield back 20 yards leaving a gaping hole between them and the strikers , hence hoofball .

W

Woffles

It is, Jackett & Thelwell are the one who those questions should be pointed at.

If Thelwell or the way the whole DoF thing is (not) working is part of the problem then Moxey has to take his share of the blame too since he appointed Thelwell and was responsible for setting up the whole structure in the first place. He's CEO and one day has to take responsibility for something.

On the other hand, if it's down to Jackett being unable to make a decision on dozens of potential new players being presented to him because he's obsessed with Chris Wood, or not actually playing players he agreed to sign then that's 100% down to him.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great questions Bawtry, add to that why did we sell Stearman and say we would place faith in youngsters at centre back, then go again for experience. Its so amateurish its almost unbelievable.

You're right, the local press should be far more inquisitive and damning than they currently are. Pretty limp and languid is how I would describe the E & S these days - overall a pretty disappointing and pointless read.

The e&s are one big disappointment. No searching questions. They almost make excuses for the mess that has been created.
Have they even asked the club what happened/ didn't happen on deadline day and why we are left with no senior left back and no proper no9 at the club?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All fair questions. We are pretty poor in every area at the moment save for picking up promising young players.

I can't believe the club hasn't even commented on the transfer window as yet.

We have an owner who is jumping ship and doesn't offer an explanation, a CEO and Head of Recruitment who seem to have disappeared, and a manager who seems to be increasingly losing the plot. Meanwhile fans are voting with their feet and the crowds for league games next season may well resemble the attendance for league cup games against the likes of Newport.

Yet there is total silence. Who, if anyone is taking responsibility and what do they intend to do about this?

Good post.
It is a mess.

J

JR's Boots

The problem is that as supporters we are powerless to hold the hierarchy at Wolves to account.

We have no representation at board level and other than the sham that is the fans parliament have no directly contact with those in charge.

To enforce any real change would require an organised campaign of protest. Boycotting matches will be counter productive as Morgan and Moxey will plug any revenue shortfalls in the summer by reducing the wage bill thereby rendering our match day experience even worse.

The local press are a poodle and allow the Moxey PR machine to wrap a bow round a turd.

It is a truly desperate situation as the club have no more ambition than to function as a second rate, low rent entity that props up the current rotten regime.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moxey is just as much to blame, We identify targets but he doesn't get the deals done, this can only be down to the fact he isn't offering attractive enough deal..

True but that happens at a lot of clubs I'm not saying Moxey is faultless but those 2 identify the players what we need who we bring in. Moxey is in charge of negotiating deals that's It he doesn't Identify players.

A prime example was Coady & Byrne at a combined £3M was they necessary purchases in the summer we were overstocked in midfield and had plenty of options on the right wing but for some reason Kenneth & Kevin thought we had to have those 2 in the squad.

There is money available decent money for a championship club but the coaching staff seem to want to waste It on unnecessary buys.

ManningtreeWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From ownership, day to day operational financial running of the club, team management, recruitment, coaching and fitness - all are not up to the task of their respective jobs and are severely inept and incompetent.... Morgan, Moxey, Jackett, Thelwell, Gallen and Daley all need to jog on asap, in what order and over what time frame who knows... I think this stewardship runs the risk of a whole generation of fans being lost which will severely dent this much touted 'excellent fan base " we can draw on when times take a turn for the better.

R

reanswolf

You can't just blame KJ, undoubtedly he must be accountable to a large degree.

I still believe that he had his arm twisted about Stearman, and probably the Board have been very influential in who we have or have not managed to acquire. Wage strategies, managerial appointments, timing of appointments, Panel of 4 and Thelwell's role, and sales of players fundamentally undermining managers.

Sorry there is no way the 2M's are not to a large degree responsible for the mess.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From ownership, day to day operational financial running of the club, team management, recruitment, coaching and fitness - all are not up to the task of their respective jobs and are severely inept and incompetent.... Morgan, Moxey, Jackett, Thelwell, Gallen and Daley all need to jog on asap, in what order and over what time frame who knows... I think this stewardship runs the risk of a whole generation of fans being lost which will severely dent this much touted 'excellent fan base " we can draw on when times take a turn for the better.

Completely agree!!

Given the way the finances appear to be headed in this division and the one above, we're at a crossroads I feel. I fear the worst if this mob remain pulling the strings for any length of time.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can't just blame KJ, undoubtedly he must be accountable to a large degree.

I still believe that he had his arm twisted about Stearman, and probably the Board have been very influential in who we have or have not managed to acquire. Wage strategies, managerial appointments, timing of appointments, Panel of 4 and Thelwell's role, and sales of players fundamentally undermining managers.

Sorry there is no way the 2M's are not to a large degree responsible for the mess.

Agreed. Owner Morgan and, in particular, Captain Moxey should be walking the plank and facing the sharks. The good ship Wolves continues to be steered extremely erratically by these two land lubbers who've lost all their bearings.

First Mate Jackett is the easy target and predictably being pooped on from above again after the latest storm, but given the inexerienced crew at his disposal and the shambles going on around him getting the Wolves into mid ocean is actually a fair achievement this season and many other First Mates would have taken the ship down and lost the crew.

After losing several experienced crew members overboard (made to walk the plank by the Captain), Jackett has chosen to batten down the hatches since Christmas. Things aren't pretty out on deck at all but 14 points from 7 suggests he was probably right to do it, as without it we'd be sinking fast.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the business in such a state of flux, a question to all asking for Jackett to to go.

Who would you replace him with and do you realistically expect them to come to Molineux at the present?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the business in such a state of flux, a question to all asking for Jackett to to go.

Who would you replace him with and do you realistically expect them to come to Molineux at the present?

Short term fix until the end of the season.
Neil Warnock. He would get these players fired up more than Jackett and would hopefully give the likes of Wallace and Byrne a proper chance or ALF in a 442.
He may even give some of the young uns like Bright or Ronan a go.
Yes quite a few on here don't like Warnock but I would take him every day of the week over Jackett at present.
Yes the owner is an $$$$ and Moxey and Thelwell need to go but realistically they are going nowhere at present. Something has to change and Jackett needs to be replaced. I am convinced that Warnock would do a better job with these group of players than Jackett is doing.

F

FLEET WOLF

Neil Warnock. He would get these players fired up more than Jackett and would hopefully give the likes of Wallace and Byrne a proper chance or ALF in a 442.
Yes quite a few on here don't like Warnock but I would take him every day of the week over Jackett at present.
Yes the owner is an $$$$ and Moxey and Thelwell need to go but realistically they are going nowhere at present. Something has to change and Jackett needs to be replaced. I am convinced that Warnock would do a better job with these group of players than Jackett is doing.

I am not convinced actually that Warnock would do any better, he was bloody $$$$e at QPR-ask any of their fans about that!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

We are currently sleepwalking whilst heads are buried and the silence is deafening .

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

But maybe Morgan is not giving Moxey enough cash to do any deals

The fact that we would not consider spending £2.5m on Washington when we have had receipts of nearly £20m this season suggests that the budget for recruitment after Mason arrived was quite small
is not

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thelwell is the man to ask about this stuff. But he'll never speak in public. He lets Kenny apologise on his behalf, and lie when needed (eg Stears FR).

But Thelwell is out of his depth in the expanded role he was promoted to. He is a puppet of Moxey,. Moxey, with his ample nose in the trough, defers to the bored Liverpool fan who was toying with Wolverhampton Wanderers and now wants shot of us. Morgan encourages Moxey to lie also ( Afobe Aug 15).

Morgan never utters a $$$$ing word which is a $$$$ing disgrace given the fact he dumped us for no stated reason.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Whether Wallace and Byrne play over the likes of Edwards and Henry is rearranging the deck chairs. At the mo, neither are good enough to start and no real surprise (to me) the more experienced players are keeping them out. The real question is why they were bought in the first place and were they Jackett's first choice or, more likely, eleventh! I know what I suspect.

ALF hasn't been good enough for years to impose himself as the main striker. The real question is whether he was Jackett's first choice or someone Moxey offered up after ringing around clubs in more financial trouble than us looking for cheap cuts. Again, I know what I reckon.

If you think we should sack the manager, you must think we're under-performing badly (10pts+) taking everything else going on into account. Do you genuinely think there are many managers out there who'd get this group of players in the play-offs given the shambles we're in off the pitch and the wage constraints we're operating under?

I'm massively frustrated like you and like many on here but focussing your ire on Jackett is missing the target in my opinion. Sacking the manager as we did three years ago would actually be the most likely thing to capsize the ship. So Warnock not for me, as per Jimmy Hassebaink 6 weeks ago, Karl Robinson 3 months ago, etc.

E

Essex Wolf

In a nutshell all the important positions at the club are held by people who are useless.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who is holding the club to account? I don't expect the fans parliament to as that is something organised and controlled by the club. I expect the local newspaper, who have access to the club to ask the difficult questions but I don't see it happening. The club should be squirming to answer the following:

1. Why don't we have a senior Centre Forward that the manager has confidence in?
3. Why are we unable to identify targets before we sell our best players so that there is a seamless transformation. In some cases we have 12 months notice and most businesses are able to get a replacement in, in that time
4. Even if we can't get a replacement of exactly the same quality we should be able to get someone who has the potential - Sako wasn't anywhere near the player he was when he left when he joined.
5. Why are we letting players go out on loan with a view that their career with Wolves is at an end and then recall them and play them? If they weren't good enough originally (why did we buy them?) what has happened in the interim to get them first team places?
6. Why did we originally loan in an 18 year old to play left wing and loan out a player who actually took the position?
7. Over the last three seasons we have played our best with pace and with Dicko up front stretching the opposition back four so why have we not tried to replace him with a similar player or inject pace in the side? its not as though we haven't had since August to do so. We do not need a slow useless lump up front despite the manager thinking otherwise
8. Why do we go for the same targets over and over again? when will you understand that no means no and if they don't want to come the first time offering an extra pie is unlikely to change their mind. If they do change their mind is it for the right reason or have they been dumped by their first choice and we'll do? if that's the case no thanks
9. We understand that the club is looking to build from the inside through the academy but will that investment remain in place considering the current owner has thrown a tantrum and put the club up for sale?
10. With regard to said owner - will he provide sufficient investment to keep the club out of League 1?

I am sure that there are many other questions fans would have and I know that we are only lowly supporters that are considered lower than amoeba by football administrators, players and national press but I do think we deserve truthful answers and that the local rag should be trying to get them. I for one am sick of being treated like a mushroom.

All good questions. The CEO is the person responsible for running the football club on a day to day basis and should be the person ultimately held to account for many of your questions, particularly on transfer policy and contracts, given the change to our internal structure post MM. For years the CEO has dodged responsibility repeatedly, which is particularly frustrating for us fans. I think many of our problems actually stem from the over-involvement Moxey has in many areas combined with the fact he's not properly held to account by anyone for his mistakes. The owner also needs to take responsibility for leaving the club rudderless without clear strategic direction.

Let's hope Wolves can find a buyer quickly or, failing that, Morgan re-engages and sacks Moxey, even if it's just to safeguard his investment, otherwise next season could be tough. I wonder what SJH would make of it all if he was still alive.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All good questions. The CEO is the person responsible for running the football club on a day to day basis and should be the person ultimately held to account for many of your questions, particularly on transfer policy and contracts, given the change to our internal structure post MM. For years the CEO has dodged responsibility repeatedly, which is particularly frustrating for us fans. I think many of our problems actually stem from the over-involvement Moxey has in many areas combined with the fact he's not properly held to account by anyone for his mistakes. The owner also needs to take responsibility for leaving the club rudderless without clear strategic direction.

Let's hope Wolves can find a buyer quickly or, failing that, Morgan re-engages and sacks Moxey, even if it's just to safeguard his investment, otherwise next season could be tough. I wonder what SJH would make of it all if he was still alive.

Well said !

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The e&s are one big disappointment. No searching questions. They almost make excuses for the mess that has been created.
Have they even asked the club what happened/ didn't happen on deadline day and why we are left with no senior left back and no proper no9 at the club?

100% agree. Perhaps if they had made a better job of holding the club to account, maybe, just maybe we wouldn't be in such as a mess as we are today. When was the last time they actually asked a taxing question or exposed anything to the fans. Perhaps when Mr Spiers reads this post for his next story he can respond.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what SJH would make of it all if he was still alive.
I know that SJH is venerated by many on here but he is partly culpable for our demise - he appointed Moxey in the first place and made him part of the deal with Morgan. However, Morgan has had ample time to deal with Moxey if he so wished

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know that SJH is venerated by many on here but he is partly culpable for our demise - he appointed Moxey in the first place and made him part of the deal with Morgan. However, Morgan has had ample time to deal with Moxey if he so wished

Knowledge is power and some people like to keep that knowledge to themselves which can make them indispensable as they hold all the cards.

M

Mr Wolf

Moxey was brought in for financial matters, as soon as that job was done he should have been downgraded or moved aside so a football man could lead.

$$$$ing joke these owners.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find it incredible Moxey is still here after 16 years!

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fantastic post. Sums it up well.

they could sell our entire 11 and the local media wouldnt apply much pressure.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even successful bosses should spend no more than half a decade in charge of any one business, according to Sir David Walker. Chief executives must be accountable and open to challenges from staff and directors, he said, and must not become so entrenched that their decisions cannot be questioned.

He told Radio 4’s The Bottom Line that the problem is particularly severe if a chief executive is a big character.
The Telegraph

Quoting the financial pages maybe odd for a football forum but I think Moxey's position is a fine example of what can go wrong if an underperforming but domineering "big character" CEO is in place for too long.

I do think Sir Jack screwed up badly by giving Moxey so much power in the first place and the fact that Morgan has not sacked such a underperforming and overpaid CEO makes me increasingly suspicious as to why not.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not convinced actually that Warnock would do any better, he was bloody $$$$e at QPR-ask any of their fans about that!

As was Harry Redknapp but I'd take him in a heartbeat on a short term deal. Bloody hell anyone with a shred of man-management skills, the squad isn't great but neither is it lazy, what it clearly is is woefully short of confidence - the players run around a lot without making anything happen so they look busy, most of them are hoofing the ball when we know that, whilst ball playing isn't second nature to them, they're capable of far better. The forward players are hanging on to the ball too long because the midfielders aren't getting on and showing for it (something, for all Edwards' failings and he has them in abundance, at least he never had an issue with)

It's a team that shows just about every classic symptom of one in a crisis of confidence. Whilst I don't think Kenny is a natural charismatic, he has at least given the players sufficient confidence to express themselves previously. I just think the enthusiasm has been sapped out of him and he's going through the motions hoping something will change and results will ease the malaise hanging over the club...well this time Ken I'm not sure they will.

Back
Top Bottom