Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Harry Maguire (To boo or not to boo.)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the jeers aimed at Harry Maguire last night were just wrong. He was representing his country, and should have been supported as the other England players were. It was also pleasing to see his England teammates come out in support of Harry after the game.

I have never understood why supporters would boo their own players, it is counter productive. I have heard Wolves players booed at Molinuex and thought it was terrible. Imagine how a player must feel being jeered by his own teams supporters.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I thought the jeers aimed at Harry Maguire last night were just wrong. He was representing his country, and should have been supported as the other England players were. It was also pleasing to see his England teammates come out in support of Harry after the game.

I have never understood why supporters would boo their own players, it is counter productive. I have heard Wolves players booed at Molinuex and thought it was terrible. Imagine how a player must feel being jeered by his own teams supporters.
Yes it was wrong .Was it United fans or fans from other clubs ?I don’t like the booing of players but as we all know he didn’t fix his price but he certainly isn’t the Beckenbauer play maker from the back he tries to portray .

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never booed, complained sure.

However, another angle that someone stated is that people like to think that England players get chosen on their form for club, Maguire has absolutely stunk for the best part of two seasons at club level and yet still gets the nod, so some are frustrated at that.

Makes no sense to me, for England the likes of Pickford and Maguire play pretty well and it's your best shot of not bottling another generation by having these guys along, but if England want to drag themselves to another defeat, be my guests.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Should have booed Harry Kane instead for being a diving cheating ****.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Booing Maguire is the only way many England fans can vent their frustration and send the message that players should be picked on form.
Maguire is in poor form yet till gets picked?
United fans there obviously won't be booing him.
I was at Wembley when Bully was in the team. He was booed and chants of Bull****, Bull****, Bull**** rang out because they didn't believe a 3rd tier forward should have been in the team.
England fans are in my opinion very fickle and critical of players in the team that play for England but not the team they support.
Basically England's support is very fractious and split, always has been, always will be.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to the Switzerland game on Saturday. The Swiss players were booed as they were announced, their national anthem was booed. In a friendly?! Really?!

But to then boo your own players, at home? I understand the booing of players like Zouma etc, or Greenwood if he comes back, because they've genuinely done horrible things. But what's Maguire done other than play football badly? I get the picking of form players argument, but boo Southgate then, not the players.

People are just idiots. I think we've come out the other side of lockdowns and completely forgotten how to be civil as a society in certain situations.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeh why would you pick players off form for their club when every time they play for their country they get into team of the tournament.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely hate booing your own,no sensible person does that
I know Maguire has bought it on himself a bit by running to the fans cupping his ears when he scored a few games back, but really no need
Everyone knows he doesnt deserve his place based on performance levels this season,but its the managers perrogative,and he must have something to keep being picked
Perhaps he needs to get his own game right before trying to wind up the fans,but whatever, its still not right to boo him

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Like others have said, I think the intention was to boo Southgate's selection policy, rather than slabhead himself.

He has been woeful for a good 18 months for United, but to be fair he has been excellent for England.

He clearly needs to play as one of 3 centre backs for me, same as Coady.

In all honesty I don't blame Southgate for continuing to pick him.All managers are the same - they all have players they trust and to be fair to slabhead he's given Southgate no reason not to trust him when he's pulled on an England shirt.

Booing your own players is ludicrous.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boo Maguire when he comes to Molineux playing for Man U by all means, but he's been a good player for England. When it comes to England Southgate trusts him and he's delivered. Didn't Luke Shaw say it was nice to get away from club football? Or something like that. Well Maguire is at the same (toxic) club

Yes he's been **** for Man U, he's not the only one, but he's been good for England and anyone going to an England game and booing him when his name is read out or when he takes his first touch is scum

And this is from someone who doesn't care about the national team

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly club form is what gets a player picked for the England squad, thereafter performances in an England shirt are what matter. Like him or not Maguire has been good for England and there’s no justification for booing him. If the England cricket team had been selected on county form a certain David Gower’s career would have been very different.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
When in the 3 Lions shirt never (any player), when turning out for Manure (or whoever) pelters all match long - its football !!! If in gold and black, well we all know the answers........

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on his Man U form Maguire isn’t good enough for England. His first touch is regularly very poor, he is slow and has the turning circle of the Titanic!

Having said that I can’t think of a bad game he has had for England. Whether that’s because he is playing with better players, I don’t know. The Man U defenders, Wan Bissaka and Lindelof for example, have been very poor and when you are playing with poor defenders, that must affect your form. Don’t forget England reached the last Euro‘s final and World Cup semi’s with Maguire a regular starter.

I have never booed any of my own team and never would. Felt like it with Johnson and O’Hara though but what does that prove!

Last edited:

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s like Pickford .

He isn’t playing well at club level but been very good for England so no reason for him being booed when playing for the latter .

I presume it wouldn’t be Man U fans but those from rival clubs ?

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Never liked the booing of your own players. I remember Robbie Dennison having it a lot when i went to Molineux as a kid and hated it. I never understood why. Maybe there was a reason i missed.

As far as England goes; there are certainly players i am not fond of, but always tried to put any other feelings aside, and can't imagine booing them.

As has been said; Southgate picked him, it's not his fault he's playing. And to be honest, Southgate has lead to my complete apathy towards the national team. I used to live for world cups and euro's and any England games. It is talked about how he has won fans back, but with me, done the opposite.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly there are far too many men that never grow up and understand their responsibilities. They are a total embarrassment to the rest of the male population. But, it has always been that way and will continue to be so!

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How are they supposed to make their feelings known? Write a strongly worded letter? FFS...

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How are they supposed to make their feelings known? Write a strongly worded letter? FFS...

No, but jeering your own players is counter productive. I would also imagine that the more Maguire gets jeered, then the more Southgate will be determined to select him.

fleck1

Reaction score
Found it very strange, like Pickford, Maguire is a different player in an England shirt maybe it a confidence thing or just the general mess of their clubs. Like it or not the England squad isn't picked on form, players will force their way in to the squad on form but a manager will always back players he trusts and have done it for him in the past. Like any club manager with a big league or cup tie, Southgate will know who he trusts and Maguire/Pickford were part of his side that went to world cup semi final and the final of the euros.

bully9

Reaction score
Booing Maguire is the only way many England fans can vent their frustration and send the message that players should be picked on form.
I was at Wembley when Bully was in the team. He was booed and chants of Bull****, Bull****, Bull**** rang out because they didn't believe a 3rd tier forward should have been in the team.
England fans are in my opinion very fickle and critical of players in the team that play for England but not the team they support.
Basically England's support is very fractious and split, always has been, always will be.
Was there the 1 game can’t remember who it was against,liverpoo fans having a go at Bully because Beardsley was on the bench

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, but jeering your own players is counter productive. I would also imagine that the more Maguire gets jeered, then the more Southgate will be determined to select him.

Yes but going to watch England isn't the same as watching club football. There's a lot of inter-club rivalry under the surface and certainly nowhere near the same amount of loyalty to individual players.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you were manager of England and they were in a massive game next week, say a World Cup Semi playing Germany, would you pick Maguire on the left side of the defence?

If not, who would you play in that position in place of him?

DJLWolf

Reaction score
If you were manager of England and they were in a massive game next week, say a World Cup Semi playing Germany, would you pick Maguire on the left side of the defence?

To be honest I would probably go Maguire, Stones and Walker as the 3 centre backs.I appreciate Walker doesn't normally play there, but he has proven he can and Stones and Maguire require gas, which he has an abundance of.

They have all proven themselves over the years in an England team that has been knocking on the door for major trophies.

What are the alternatives?Leading candidates for me are Tamori, White and Coady.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People don't like Man United, or other big clubs, but especially United IMO, so that's a factor.

However, it works both ways. I firmly believe, regardless of what Maguire has done for England, that he wouldn't be in the team unless he played for United. We have seen countless times over the years where their players are preferred when they shouldn't have been.

In fairness, that might be changing now with Rashford and Sancho not involved in this squad, but on the whole, playing for United has given you special treatment when it comes to England. (Rashford has 46 caps!!)

So, that special treatment works both ways and fans aren't happy with that and decided to boo to show it. I have no problem with it even if it was harsh, as it's just a way of showing frustration.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member (smith)

Interesting point….obviously jeering your own players is counterproductive but then again why and when are supporters feelings important ? Football fans are hardly a homogeneous group of intellectual giants with strong feelings on existential matters.

I think the strongly worded letter to the message board is the appropriate reaction….I will agree that slabhead is a mountebank and evidence of Englands decline…Minge is no better…and even Wolves fans aren’t sure Coady can play in a back four .

May I end this strongly worded rant with a blue football joke?

Italy

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Booing own players is pretty bad. But as said above, how exactly do the fans in the stands who pay their money let Mr. Southgate know that the whole world and his dog knows that on current (18 months) form Slab head shouldn't be anywhere near the England team.
But then it was a mix of first teamers and others. Maybe the old slab head was there as the entertainment.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i love a massive semi

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I don't bother watching many England games so I don't really care that much. Didn't Southgate make a big thing about only picking in form players for England at the start of his tenure, so to pick and play a very out of sorts Maguire is odd.

I don't think booing anyone helps but, listening to Talk-sport this morning, it was noticeable that they kept prefixing everything they were saying with "everyone has a right to an opinion, free speech etc, etc" - before slagging anyone off that booed as a moron. They may be right but they tie themselves in knots trying to appear independent as long as peoples opinion matches theirs.

Oh yeah, and Gabby Agbonlahor kept pronouncing England as Eng-er-land when he spoke and it got right on my tits.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m no maguire fan and his form for United is woeful but in his defence so is everyone’s at that club barring CR7. It’s rotten to the core.

He gets picked because he’s never let England down and has consistently done well for them.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always a few nob heads. Maguires a better player than he gets credit for, had a difficult season at a barn pot of a club.

Always done us proud and hopefully will continue to do so this winter.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southgate made a bit of a rod for his own back when he made the “players on form” comment at the start of his tenure.

I’m not a maguire fan and he certainly ain’t a £80M player. However we don’t have great options in that position and if Southgate didn’t stick by him now it would be hard to ever bring him back and say you had confidence in him.
Stones has probably made as many or more ridiculous errors in the last 4 years, but gets away with it. (And I think those 2 are our best centre back pairing).

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not Maguires fault that United paid way over the odds for a very limited defender, or that Southgate picks him over better players and that against decent opposition he looks one dimensional and slow. Despite the privileged career he has, I can't help but feel a little sorry for him on occasion.

R

reanswolf

Can’t remember any boos of Bully at England games myself. Infact he was welcomed by England fans enthusiastically IMO.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ridiculous booing him, just don't understand it at all. He's never let England down and we're not exactly blessed with options at centre half (yes I know, Kilman).

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Can’t remember any boos of Bully at England games myself. Infact he was welcomed by England fans enthusiastically IMO.
We went to Wembley when we beat the Czechs 4-2 and he scored twice .We had a load of Spurs fans around us in the seats and all we heard until he scored his first was was ‘Not good enough ‘ .When he scored the first I just turned round to them with a wry smile and did the same for the second .In fairness some of them shook me by the hand at the end of the game.
If only he had taken that chance to complete his hat trick.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's about the mentality of the perpetrators who have no respect toward another human being and vent their personal frustrations out in such a childish manner.

Back
Top Bottom