Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Grasshoppers Zürich

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we'd be treated as a feeder club, there is no way we'd be gracious.

We basically treat them as a little club we pat on the head, and they are still ****. I'd hate it if I was a Grasshopper fan
100% agree that overall Wolves Fans wouldn’t be gracious however through my interactions for the loan thread, they have bigger moans than about Wolves.

Many appreciate the players they’ve had that have helped them get back to the top league and see it as a progressive relationship

They had more concerns with the management (board, sporting director and the managers)

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really does make sense for us to try and make Grasshoppers as good as they can possibly be, without it impacting our progression.

If we can help to build them up to a level where they are competing for the Swiss title, they will have a chance to play European football almost every season with a top 4 finish, similar to how Basel and Young Boys do at the moment.

That would be huge experience and really help with the development of younger players on loan there.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun need to buy additional teams that can command better money for its players. If kawabe did well at a french or german team he would command treble what he would do in switzerland.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Using the term “feeder club” is completely wrong.
Grasshoppers are a club we have a close relationship with for loaning players. That is completely for mutual benefit. Doesn’t always work out, but the aim is fair.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We basically treat them as a little club we pat on the head, and they are still ****. I'd hate it if I was a Grasshopper fan
I instinctively agree. I know a couple of Walsall fans and they absolutely detest us because of that perceived looking-downism.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I instinctively agree. I know a couple of Walsall fans and they absolutely detest us because of that perceived looking-downism.
Hahaha
We look down on West Brom and the Blues.
What Walsall hate is that we don’t even notice them!

But to be on topic if I were a Walsall fan I’d love it if wolves loaned us Cundle, Perry and Corbeanu next season.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hahaha
We look down on West Brom and the Blues.
What Walsall hate is that we don’t even notice them!

But to be on topic if I were a Walsall fan I’d love it if wolves loaned us Cundle, Perry and Corbeanu next season.
Exactly! I think that's how Villa fans view us tbh. We are trying to turn them into rivals but they Dow care.

I was considering a Walsall season ticket for next season, but it's still north of 400. They could have a good season

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Using the term “feeder club” is completely wrong.
Grasshoppers are a club we have a close relationship with for loaning players. That is completely for mutual benefit. Doesn’t always work out, but the aim is fair.
They get quality players like kawabe, toti and bolla for two years because of us. Those players are better than what they have got.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not perceived. Their club badge should be Mickey Mouse. Lots of Wolves fans, after we saw Smallsall up close when we played them, despise the ****s. Lindsey summed them up......

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly! I think that's how Villa fans view us tbh. We are trying to turn them into rivals but they Dow care.

I was considering a Walsall season ticket for next season, but it's still north of 400. They could have a good season
They'll care when they rot below us for the next 10 years.....

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree, club with a famous history, who’ve had several good runs in Europe over the years, reduced to being our place we stick kids we’ve took a punt on. Id ****ing hate us.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not sure I agree about the villa but. They desperately try and say there’s no rivalry until social media goes into meltdown on a weekend they win and we lose.

It’s a bit like my Albion supporting mate who has hated us for 30 years but now tries to tell me villa are their real rivals. I don’t remember that when we were rubbish and they were in the prem.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
My theory is that Fosun have probably twigged that it will be much easier and far cheaper to get Grasshoppers in to the Champions League than us. I suspect that will be the shift in strategy going forward. One of Jeff's KPIs met with a small tweak to the MO.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on. I wouldn't be gracious at all, even if it benefited us in the medium-term. They're proud fans of a club with a pretty impressive history. Just because the PL has become the financial powerhouse of world football doesn't detract from what clubs in Holland, Belgium, France etc have achieved; GCZ have gone as far as us in Europe, more recently, and reached a few European quarter finals.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems things aren't good at Grasshoppers....

The Chinese project with the Grasshoppers is back on square one. Three weeks before the start of the championship, players and officials are missing – and there is no plan.

Giorgio Contini is pretty much alone right now. It's Thursday evening, the GC trainer is in the car driving home. "Sympathy? I don't need pity," he says into the phone, "I'm an optimist, we work very well and with joy, the atmosphere in the team is positive."

In the team? Twelve players will come to the first training session on the penultimate Friday. Contini then lets himself be filmed drinking an espresso and announcing the extension of the contract with Giotto Morandi. As an actor, Contini is not without talent. It also helps to embrace the role he has to play as a GC coach.

On Friday, Contini does not yet know that sports director Seyi Olofinjana has already been fired. The corresponding announcement, in which Managing Director Jimmy Berisha is also said goodbye, will not follow until Monday. "Because of different views on the future direction," as it says. Contini says: "I'm an employee of the club, the strategy is determined by the management and the owners."

GC President Sky Sun would be the man to report on "the future direction". He says he doesn't want to say anything. This also applies to Olofinjana and Berisha. Both do not want to explain the “differences of opinion”. That is not necessary either, the conflicts have been open for months.

The Chinese Fosun Group has the bills from Zurich settled on time; The past season alone is said to have produced a deficit of well over CHF 10 million. However, what is produced in the Zurich branch seems to be of secondary interest. The main branch is in Wolverhampton. Jeff Shi is the boss of the Wolves, Shi reports to Sun. Sun was tired of arguing with Olofinjana and Berisha about which players and goals to continue.

Sun, who has been running the business from China for months, brought players like the Chinese Li Lei to GC on his own initiative, Olofinjana had neither experience nor room for maneuver, and Berisha repeatedly ran into a wall when he called for more Swiss players and stronger local identification . Sun recently sent Olofinjana to the GC juniors, which didn't go down well there.

Youth boss Roman Hangarter, Marc Hodel, Ricardo Cabanas and Zoltan Kadar left the club in a short time. The chief scout is currently Kevin Cruickshank, a man from England but without any experience in the Swiss market.

Sun is said to be looking intensively for a new sports director, he should have a man from Italy in mind, according to the industry. Italy, England, Nigeria, China, Portugal - with the Grasshoppers it's probably the same.

"If management works well together, success is also possible," says Contini. He hopes that the squad will be complete as soon as possible, he would like to see reinforcements in every part of the team to provide the necessary breadth. In the first friendly, GC lost 5-1 to Schaffhausen. The championship starts in three weeks.

NZZ on Sunday, sports

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems things aren't good at Grasshoppers....

The Chinese project with the Grasshoppers is back on square one. Three weeks before the start of the championship, players and officials are missing – and there is no plan.

Giorgio Contini is pretty much alone right now. It's Thursday evening, the GC trainer is in the car driving home. "Sympathy? I don't need pity," he says into the phone, "I'm an optimist, we work very well and with joy, the atmosphere in the team is positive."

In the team? Twelve players will come to the first training session on the penultimate Friday. Contini then lets himself be filmed drinking an espresso and announcing the extension of the contract with Giotto Morandi. As an actor, Contini is not without talent. It also helps to embrace the role he has to play as a GC coach.

On Friday, Contini does not yet know that sports director Seyi Olofinjana has already been fired. The corresponding announcement, in which Managing Director Jimmy Berisha is also said goodbye, will not follow until Monday. "Because of different views on the future direction," as it says. Contini says: "I'm an employee of the club, the strategy is determined by the management and the owners."

GC President Sky Sun would be the man to report on "the future direction". He says he doesn't want to say anything. This also applies to Olofinjana and Berisha. Both do not want to explain the “differences of opinion”. That is not necessary either, the conflicts have been open for months.

The Chinese Fosun Group has the bills from Zurich settled on time; The past season alone is said to have produced a deficit of well over CHF 10 million. However, what is produced in the Zurich branch seems to be of secondary interest. The main branch is in Wolverhampton. Jeff Shi is the boss of the Wolves, Shi reports to Sun. Sun was tired of arguing with Olofinjana and Berisha about which players and goals to continue.

Sun, who has been running the business from China for months, brought players like the Chinese Li Lei to GC on his own initiative, Olofinjana had neither experience nor room for maneuver, and Berisha repeatedly ran into a wall when he called for more Swiss players and stronger local identification . Sun recently sent Olofinjana to the GC juniors, which didn't go down well there.

Youth boss Roman Hangarter, Marc Hodel, Ricardo Cabanas and Zoltan Kadar left the club in a short time. The chief scout is currently Kevin Cruickshank, a man from England but without any experience in the Swiss market.

Sun is said to be looking intensively for a new sports director, he should have a man from Italy in mind, according to the industry. Italy, England, Nigeria, China, Portugal - with the Grasshoppers it's probably the same.

"If management works well together, success is also possible," says Contini. He hopes that the squad will be complete as soon as possible, he would like to see reinforcements in every part of the team to provide the necessary breadth. In the first friendly, GC lost 5-1 to Schaffhausen. The championship starts in three weeks.

NZZ on Sunday, sports

All sounds well there then, Surrey!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Before anyone jumps on this as either a positive (Fosun might do similar for us) or a negative (grasshoppers getting the investment again)…. Just to be clear… this is a Zurich City project, not a club project. The city found the investors, the city voted on the proposal, and this is a RENTED ground share between Grasshoppers FC and Zurich FC

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did anyone play early championship managers?

I was particularly fond of the tactic where I would take control of a second club, bid £50 million for my reserves, then quit the job after the sale. In fact, in later FMs, they introduced a sort of fix where the board would veto the transfer for being 'unrealistic'.

With that in mind, I expect the fee to be 227 million for the both.

Shame that shabani was never able to kick on due to injuries.

Also funny to see the e and s release an interview with him only yesterday

Back
Top Bottom