Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Grasshoppers Zürich

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score
Not an official Fosun venture, but Guo's wife has just bought Grasshoppers Zürich. We sent Ed Francis and Boubacar Hanne there on loan recently so I think this has the makings of some kind of informal partnership. Hope it works out better than the Telford and Jumilla ventures!

They're a historically huge name in Swiss football but it's all gone wrong for them lately. They're in the second tier at the moment but should they get back to the top flight and have the requisite finance, they'd be back near the top very quickly. The depth of quality in Switzerland isn't really huge.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Means only a 3 man board, of Jeff Shi, John Gough and John Bowater - which is surely too small for a club like us!

Good to see Fosun getting there teeth, into another club who we could hopefully work with.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read an article a while ago tentatively linking Fosun investing in them. Looks like there was a kernel of truth. It could be a bit of fun in the Guangchang/Wang household if we ever play each other in Europe.

D

Deleted member 5962

It’s a bit worrying the amount of people leaving lately.

Has been quite a few people, and quite a few higher ups. I cant remember exactly when laurie left, but this makes 3 board members gone since then.

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score
I imagine we'll see another Fosun appointment to the board in due course, we will of course get a Thelwell replacement too.

Not so sure we actually need to replace Laurie, a lot of what he did was PR and Jeff can do that.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
It would be nice to think that announcements will be made soon .I appreciate Jeff and others can undertake extra duties but we are expanding as a club and this needs to be reflected off the field aswell as on it .

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not an official Fosun venture, but Guo's wife has just bought Grasshoppers Zürich. We sent Ed Francis and Boubacar Hanne there on loan recently so I think this has the makings of some kind of informal partnership. Hope it works out better than the Telford and Jumilla ventures!

They're a historically huge name in Swiss football but it's all gone wrong for them lately. They're in the second tier at the moment but should they get back to the top flight and have the requisite finance, they'd be back near the top very quickly. The depth of quality in Switzerland isn't really huge.

It's going to be far more than just an informal partnership. For all intents and purposes this is now a Fosun owned club and they will control what goes on. As you said, they were recently relegated but have a decent following and have a lot of room for growth. I guess similar to how Fosun saw Wolves when they bought us. Also interestingly they are planning a new stadium to move into, although I think this one is going to be paid for by the public purse.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a bit worrying the amount of people leaving lately.

This time it seems to be with Fosun's blessing as our clubs are now linked. Wouldn't put this in the same column as the other departures.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
A great move, certainly a historically famous club with great previous Euro pedigree.

Can definitely see us linking up and utilising the situation to benefit with a plan.

We (Fosun) approached Oostende in the Belgian league last summer with a proposal to create a ‘partnership’ of sorts, but nothing came of it. They are now currently in a situation where they could be relegated out of the league – their loss.

We simply move on to progress to our needs.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This time it seems to be with Fosun's blessing as our clubs are now linked. Wouldn't put this in the same column as the other departures.
True. Wonder what the strategic thinking is though? Can’t see much value in a Swiss League club? (I’ll admit I’m not an expert on Swiss football!)

Egga

Groupie
Reaction score
True. Wonder what the strategic thinking is though? Can’t see much value in a Swiss League club? (I’ll admit I’m not an expert on Swiss football!)
Perhaps it’s easier to get into the champions league and associated money with a Swiss club

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marques and Ming Yang were from Switzerland so there is talent there

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

maybe they have assets that could be worth money?

Lots of clubs get bought for dubious reasons not related to football

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Secretive Chinese billionaire’s wife buys tin pot football club in city renowned for money laundering and tax sheltering. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Im not sure they fall into the tin pot category.

One of those glamorous clubs I remember from my youth and watching Sportsnight on a wednesday night along with the likes of St Etienne, Dynamo Moscow, Carl Zeiss Jena etc

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Im not sure they fall into the tin pot category.

One of those glamorous clubs I remember from my youth and watching Sportsnight on a wednesday night along with the likes of St Etienne, Dynamo Moscow, Carl Zeiss Jena etc

+1.

One of the historical regulars in European football and certainly a big club relatively speaking.

Not sure how long they have been out of their top flight, it just could be that like with ourselves Fosun see them as a project to re-establish their greatness.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't realise the famous Grasshoppers had fallen on hard times and out of the top division tbh

I've got one of their badges somewhere from a friend in Zurich. It's probably made in china

M

Mr Wolf

It’s a good thing the way I see it, they’ll definitely be a few youth players being loaned out to them to get experience.

Although separate enterprises possibly a way around FFP also if we need a bit of wiggle room on the books.

Jeff will need to cover more roles than Neil Emblen now mind.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be easier to get Grasshoppers in the Champions league but they will never be able to generate the money we will.
They could be a very good 'associate ' club though.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played these in the 50's during one of our friendly end of season tours, as mentioned they are historically massive in Switzerland and a link up would be more beneficial than one with the likes of Telford and Jumilla

R

reanswolf

I read that they average about 3000 gates, wonder what they used to get in their heyday? Zurich must have a good sized population.

Back
Top Bottom