Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Graeme Souness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was exactly what he said a mans game. The level of psyicality in the game wouldn’t have been seen in the women’s game. Fact! This is coming from someone that celebrated more than most the girls bringing the game home this summer let’s not make mountains out of molehills tho.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does he have to be controversial ?
He could have just said "mens football is a mans game ".
Then make a quick exit left .....

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People apparently being offended is ridiculous but so is the level of self-affirmation on show here.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Storm in a teacup by people looking to be offended. We have the Women’s premier league and the Women’s Euros and World Cup as official titles, that cover Women’s football and that was not what Sounness was commenting on.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor turn of phrase given timing and colleague and didn't he double down on it afterwards?

Not worth being offended but also he should also know better.

As regards this being a difference between men and women's sports - only because historically some men seem to think they have to act tough which is quite pathetic where ever it happens.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Imo it was a comment based on his frustration with the men’s game in recent years where the ref hasn’t allowed the game to flow as it should.
He didn’t once dis the women’s game or make any comparison.
I think what the lionesses achieved was fantastic but sorry it doesn’t end 56 trophy less years for the men’s team in the same way it wouldn’t have ended the lionesses search for a trophy had the men’s team won last year’s final.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor turn of phrase given timing and colleague and didn't he double down on it afterwards?

Not worth being offended but also he should also know better.

As regards this being a difference between men and women's sports - only because historically some men seem to think they have to act tough which is quite pathetic where ever it happens.

Absolutely no story at all here except idiots that want to be offended.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And also the phrase that's in the twitter caption which is just as stupid. The majority of us sit in the middle, not being offended but also realising it's not the smartest thing to say.
Even in todays snowflake society, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that phrase.

It’s blatantly clear what he meant.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Definitely an ill judged phrase and way of getting his point across but surely anyone can understand what he was trying to say. We would all like the game to be allowed to flow more and have more robust yet fair tackles. Sorry but to me it’s too easy to misconstrue and to get offended by something that really isn’t there.
Spot on Souness

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stupid turn of phrase, just needed to say 'it's a contact sport' or something similar. I'm not 'offended' or even really bothered, but is shows a lack of awareness.
Lack of awareness about what? Was he, or was he not commenting on a men's football, match?
Are we not allowed to use the word 'man' anymore?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give me the pre social media/camera phone society back and I'd take it in a heartbeat.

We're a few weeks away from millions of people (including plenty in work) within the worlds 6th richest country realising whether or not they're going to be able to afford to keep warm and eat this winter.

There's nothing like a bit of nonsense culture war BS to distract from issues that actually matter and directly impact the majority of us. I do half wish people would stop falling for it.

Last edited:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give me the pre social media/camera phone society back and I'd take it in a heartbeat.

We're a few weeks away from millions of people (including plenty in work) within the worlds 6th richest country realising whether or not they're going to be able to afford to keep warm and eat this winter.

There's nothing like a bit of nonsense culture war BS to distract from issues that actually matter and directly impact them. I do half wish people would stop falling for it.
Folks just like to be angry and pretend it's a big deal on one side or the other. Meanwhile, the planet's increasingly screwed and poor planning/wars mean half the country won't have money for bills. Gah.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Folks just like to be angry and pretend it's a big deal on one side or the other. Meanwhile, the planet's increasingly screwed and poor planning/wars mean half the country won't have money for bills. Gah.

The whole nature of all of it is manipulated by the media to divide people. Whilst we're bickering with each other over meaningless *******s the focus is off the utter scumbags whose aim is to destroy society and **** on people whilst telling them it's raining.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lack of awareness about what? Was he, or was he not commenting on a men's football, match?
Lack of awareness that the phrase has connotations about men supposed to be a certain way (and not in a positive manner) and saying it in the company of female colleagues and the context of the women's triumph.

Anyone being offended is daft; anyone claiming they can't use the word man is daft; it's still not the most sensible comment. I saw it in context before any asks. It's the sort of thing that makes my partner sigh because surely we've moved on.

But yeah, I know what he meant and it's certainly nothing to get silly about. The media do love to hype tho and then we get the woke - antiwoke crusaders. I wish they'd both shut up. It makes people blind to the massive issues in the world, not least our current gov who are just increasingly horrendous imho.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the BBC site:-

Presenter Dave Jones immediately added: "It's also a woman's game as well."

Wrong! The Chelsea v Tottenham game in question was a man's game and that was the object of the discussion!

Get a life Dave Jones and stop sucking up to the BBC's ridiculous agenda!

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poorly worded words taken out of context which this society will crucify you for. He is happy the contact element is back without the referee constantly blowing the whistle over minimal contact made.

I was falling out of love with the game last season due to the diving, cheating and feigning injury by players, including our own players.. glad they are trying to rectify this now, but the referees have to be consistent!!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well it would be somewhat bizarre to assume that nobody watching had noticed that the players were male, so that's a pretty redundant argument. So what he really meant was that a greater amount of physicality was being let go, which would certainly have suited his style, however maybe not Podence or Hwang, who are btw also men. I'm sure there are plenty of women footballers who similarly would like to be allowed a more robust approach, so maybe they'd like women's football to be 'a man's game'? It's just lazy shorthand from an older generation that's not meant to cause offence and will die out in 20 years so I won't lose any sleep.

WufflerMuffler

Groupie
Reaction score
Brilliant stuff by The Concourse. Let's not be ashamed to remember that the average footie team grew out of the busy days of heavy engineering with blokes - players and supporters - doing heavy and soul-destroying work, making the game an escape and a rough one. (which is why every club's got someone now or then who was loved for being fancy and like a magician.) Not that any of the early rough and tumble was better than what we now have, just an earlier version sand the way it began.

As for Souness not choosing his words wisely...choosing words is called writing isn't it? Sure, sometimes an unguarded word reveals something nasty about us - like "F off you Dingles!" but usually we can survive it. And return it. And get a life.
Taking offence is kind of like blaming the sun for your sunburn.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Offensive no, antiquated yes.

Pointing that out does not mean someone is offended.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

More people are getting worked up by a tiny minority of people saying he shouldn't have said it than there are people who care.

Usual "anti - woke" cry babies who are upset at everything

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More people are getting worked up by a tiny minority of people saying he shouldn't have said it than there are people who care.

I started the thread because it was the second story on the international webpage that is BBC Football. A clear narrative being driven by them.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Spot on. Do find it ridiculous that the BBC Football page had it as it's top headline today though. It's a shame they're chasing clicks like the tabloids and as a result manufacturing outrage by poking the anti-woke brigade who always do what's expected of them.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Spot on. Do find it ridiculous that the BBC Football page had it as it's top headline today though. It's a shame they're chasing clicks and as a result manufacturing outrage by poking the anti-woke brigade who always do what's expected of them.
Bingo, they know who they are trying to target.

Will be a government directive to help drive the "political correctness gawn maaaadd" culture war to detract from their actual governing

dgm6769

Reaction score
Good job there's no gender neutral players....yet, what will they call it then.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I started the thread because it was the second story on the international webpage that is BBC Football. A clear narrative being driven by them.
Probably something to do with the BBC constantly being slated by Sky and enjoying an opportunity to reciprocate....

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The solution to this is really simple.

Put a 7 second delay on the punditry coverage.

Then whenever the likes of Souness offend us all with words like Man or Woman they can put the swear word bleep across it.

Ok it's going to be a bit of a bleepfest when Man City play Man Utd....but your can't make an omelette without smashing a few eggs.

I'm sure they have the technology - 50 years ago we put a Bleep on the moon for crying out loud

Last edited:

Wolves2018

Reaction score

Then the cry baby woke are crying about the 'anti-woke' getting upset about the wokes, don't get where you was coming from in your comment? Pointless.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whys it not the smartest thing to say?
Because it's a load of preposterous tosh pandering to the anti woke brigade who are just as bad as the other side.

Can they all just shut the hell up.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Then whenever the likes of Souness offend us all words like Man or Woman they can put the swear word bleep across it.

Ok it's going to be a bit of a bleepfest when Man City play Man Utd....but your can't make an omelette without smashing a few eggs.

I'm sure they have the technology - 50 years ago we put a Bleep on the moon for crying out loud
Can we just bleep jamie carragher then?

I mean, everything he says.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
Because it's a load of preposterous tosh pandering to the anti woke brigade who are just as bad as the other side.

Can they all just shut the hell up.
Yeah it would be nice to keep political agendas out of sport wouldn't it...

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Then whenever the likes of Souness offend us all with words like Man or Woman they can put the swear word bleep across it.

You jest, but Absolute Radio bleep ‘drug(s)’ out of Rockstar by Nickelback. Can’t even say drugs on the radio these days. Worlds gone mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom