Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Guedes.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need a striker and a CM then I will be happy that they have done all they can in this window.

End of the day we all have opinions but progress is marked on league positions . Lets see where we are at the end of the season .

Just out of interest and might be for another thread what is acceptable this year in terms of position we finish .
You’re one of the worst offenders for the hate and **** that’s said about the club. So I don’t think anyone will be too upset if you’re not happy.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this goes to show that you can't assess how good / bad a window has been, or how good / bad the recruitment team are, until the window has actually closed. Still some way to go before it can be classed as a really positive window but we're getting there.

Personally, I don't mind people worrying about the window (as the bench was awful on Saturday), or venting a little on here, but I do hate the abusive anger and name calling because they haven't got what they want right NOW, especially some of the personal comments about Sellars. I have no idea what was going on in his life in the past when certain things happened and I wasn't at court to hear the details.
I think you are right, but I do like light hearted banter

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have we decided Fosun and Shi DO know what they’re doing?
Let's not get carried away. I'm absolutely delighted with landing Guedes (whose ability merits a transfer to a club in European competition), but this is undoubtedly a prezzie from Uncle Jorge. No one can deny Fosun knew what they were doing when they fostered a positive working relationship with Gestifute, but when that well has its dry periods, our recruitment ranges from the ordinary to the comically bad.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, there are plenty of candidates for Waldorf and Statler…

What do you think of the window so far..?
Rubbish!

(For the removal of doubt in these sensitive times, this a bit of light hearted fun and not a personal attack!)

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes definitely.
They (Shi & Sellers). said that they thought it best to wait until the right players, that would improve the squad, became available . Rather than signing someone just to appease the criticism from supporters.

Certainly makes sense and they seem to be following this through.

Guedes signing is being likened to our capture of Moutinho.

A strong midfielder next please, along with another striker?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about 2 signings with Collins and spending nearly £50 million?
Now lets not get carried away.

Chuffed that I am that the cheque book has been released from the vice like grip of the chairman , remember the chairman also spouted a lot of codswallop about having to sell to buy and FFP etc etc and here we are spending 50m with little coming in the way of players sales. So was that just bull? I am not going to get bent out of shape by it. I want Wolves to succeed and it was painfully apparent that their needed to be investment in the squad to tread water let alone progress. I still hope for further strengthening but this is a good start.

This signing smacks of Uncle Jorge and , once again , we should be thankful to have him in our tent ****ing out rather than outside ****ing in.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Chuffed that I am that the cheque book has been released from the vice like grip of the chairman , remember the chairman also spouted a lot of codswallop about having to sell to buy and FFP etc etc and here we are spending 50m with little coming in the way of players sales. So was that just bull? I am not going to get bent out of shape by it. I want Wolves to succeed and it was painfully apparent that their needed to be investment in the squad to tread water let alone progress. I still hope for further strengthening but this is a good start.

This signing smacks of Uncle Jorge and , once again , we should be thankful to have him in our tent ****ing out rather than outside ****ing in.
Why would you want Jeff to say anything other than we’re skint? Is he meant to be declaring we’re absolutely stuffed with cash? So much cash please add an extra 10 mill on every transfer fee?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this goes to show that you can't assess how good / bad a window has been, or how good / bad the recruitment team are, until the window has actually closed. Still some way to go before it can be classed as a really positive window but we're getting there.

Personally, I don't mind people worrying about the window (as the bench was awful on Saturday), or venting a little on here, but I do hate the abusive anger and name calling because they haven't got what they want right NOW, especially some of the personal comments about Sellars. I have no idea what was going on in his life in the past when certain things happened and I wasn't at court to hear the details.
Well said.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not an expert by any means so apologies if I've got this wrong, but I think the way amortisation works in football accounting means we've not spent £50m for FFP purposes. You divide the value of the player by the number of years they signed for. I'm not sure how optional years work but if we don't count those then essentially this season we've spent about £3.5m on Hwang, £4m on Collins and £5.5m on Guedes. So a total of about a £13m outlay as far as FFP is concerned. Player sales go on the books in full immediately though, so we'd only need to make sales that matched that value (loan fees count too) to technically break even on those buys for the year.

That's not counting previous player amortisations though so we'd need to sell more to cover those too. But those get reduced considerably every time you give them a new contract (as you can basically re-amortise whatever is left of their transfer fee over the length of their new contract). I think that's how it works anyway!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still expect MGW to go.

A new striker either on loan or cheap (Hwang). I'm 50-50 whether we sign a midfielder but not expecting a big fee.

So I reckon in the end the net spend will be about £20-25m and the wage bill will have been reduced significantly.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not an expert by any means so apologies if I've got this wrong, but I think the way amortisation works in football accounting means we've not spent £50m for FFP purposes. You divide the value of the player by the number of years they signed for. I'm not sure how optional years work but if we don't count those then essentially this season we've spent about £3.5m on Hwang, £4m on Collins and £5.5m on Guedes. So a total of about a £13m outlay as far as FFP is concerned. Player sales go on the books in full immediately though, so we'd only need to make sales that matched that value (loan fees count too) to technically break even on those buys for the year.

That's not counting previous player amortisations though so we'd need to sell more to cover those too. But those get reduced considerably every time you give them a new contract (as you can basically re-amortise whatever is left of their transfer fee over the length of their new contract). I think that's how it works anyway!
Correct, and seen as we havent really spent much the last couple of years the amount spent on amortisation should be relatively low. We have the ability to spend, its just how much jeff is willing to put up

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would you want Jeff to say anything other than we’re skint? Is he meant to be declaring we’re absolutely stuffed with cash? So much cash please add an extra 10 mill on every transfer fee?
No I rather he say nothing than talk rubbish and look silly when the accounts are published . Even sillier when we haven’t had to sell to buy. Sometimes it’s best to keep quiet and have people think you are an idiot than open your mouth and prove them right

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I rather he say nothing than talk rubbish and look silly when the accounts are published . Even sillier when we haven’t had to sell to buy. Sometimes it’s best to keep quiet and have people think you are an idiot than open your mouth and prove them right
I think is looks anything but silly always play the hard up card
Union leaders do it all the time my members can’t afford to eat we need more money

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about 2 signings with Collins and spending nearly £50 million?
A £50 million spend doesn't make up for poor mismanagement of the club over a number of years now. We've failed to strengthen adequately over numerous transfer windows so now need to do it when we're absolutely desperate.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We really need a central midfielder surely.
I'd like to see a young raw powerful midfielder with pace. A rough diamond, I can't see a Guedes level player coming in but it would be good to have another option when we need to change the pace of the game.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see a young raw powerful midfielder with pace. A rough diamond, I can't see a Guedes level player coming in but it would be good to have another option when we need to change the pace of the game.
When I watch Wolves I always end up thinking we need another Alfred N'Diaye like player in that midfield.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why don't you take your own advice mate? :rolleyes:

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they end up signing that dynamic central midfielder we've needed for more windows than Safestyle, to add to the superb signings of Collins and Guedes, then they definitely know what they're doing. That should always have been the priority though so without that signing (I'm optimistic now though tbf) I'd still have some questions.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why don't you take your own advice mate? :rolleyes:
:grin: So Shi wasnt talking rubbish then when he said we needed to sell to buy , needed to be conscious of FFP rules amongst other things in his interview earlier in the year? My mistake

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
:grin: So Shi wasnt talking rubbish then when he said we needed to sell to buy , needed to be conscious of FFP rules amongst other things in his interview earlier in the year? My mistake
But he didn’t say we had to sell to buy. We have to be self sustaining which is very different. Similarly, he explained how FFP impacts and limits what we can spend, I think he mentioned that Newcastle will have a higher ceiling but not much more. That was explains why we can’t just spend £.5bn in one hit and the fact we’ve already been burnt with one FFP penalty. The club has always said that we had money for the right players but we don’t go on a trolley dash for players.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are you taking it as a personal insult that Shi said we need to be careful with the money? I have no idea why some people think Jeff should be faxing them updates on the clubs bank balance and transfer plans on a daily basis. It’s absurd.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Offset against 10m for Vinagre, and an estimated combined fee of 3-5m for Dadashov and Shabani and 3-5m loan fees for Sanderson, Giles, Coady, Bolla, Kawabe etc. thats circa 20m before any serious disposal for the likes of MGW, Traore etc

The other factor is this far a significantly reduced wage bill which also frees spend and wage capacity. Offloading players early and bringing in new players late also saves a few quid.

Overall, may be not huge but significant

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward to watching this guy now. Really hope he is the Jota 2.0 mentioned by the Portuguese experts. Hope he can carry on his goal scoring form from last season.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward to watching this guy now. Really hope he is the Jota 2.0 mentioned by the Portuguese experts. Hope he can carry on his goal scoring form from last season.
Likes the description in the E&S where he was described as a combination of Jota and Grealish (not the diving bit). If true could be v exciting.

Back
Top Bottom