Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Guedes.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So almost a third of the goals our entire squad managed then? If he gets anywhere near 11 this year he’ll walk off with every end of season award
I'd have thought we'd brought him in to better our goal tally, not keep up with the last few seasons. 11 would be respectable, but if/when we bring in more creative midfielders, then 11 may be considered a little underwhelming.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have thought we'd brought him in to better our goal tally, not keep up with the last few seasons. 11 would be respectable, but if/when we bring in more creative midfielders, then 11 may be considered a little underwhelming.
He also provided 6 assists last season

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player we've been linked with for a while and his YouTube vid is impressive (aren't they all!). Certainly quality as a Portuguese international, but hardly prolific. 11 in 36 for Valencia last season and 23 in 113 in all comps for Valencia over his time there. In my day, a forward who scored 1 in 2 was considered good, but times have changed and I guess he's not played centrally for some of his time.
Anyway, a welcome signing in an area that we desperately needed to strengthen.
Now, onto the next as we are still weak in midfield.
His stats show being directly involved in a goal (I.e. scoring or assisting) every 2.1 games for Valencia last season.

Valencia were also pretty average as a team, finishing 10th, so it's not like he was being carried, more like he was carrying them.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'll be in S5 on sat awaiting my dog poouffle.
Feel free to bring a doggy bag.
As for the "morons". Spouting hate and bile. I agree we have no room for that at all.
There's a difference between all out negativity/abuse and humour though.
I've made plenty of off handish comments about how tight and inept Jeff and sellars appear to be but in reality it has to be difficult navigating the transfer market whilst ensuring sustainability of a premier League club.
We could so easily end up like Everton who are in it up to their eyeballs. It is clear Jeff and Co are businessmen first but the signings of Collins and Guedes are definite signs that they are listening to Bruno when it comes to the footballing side of our club. Moving Coady out is just as big a call.
Bruno is being backed and that makes me very happy.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There's an interview where Goncalo pronounced his surname to a female reporter... I mentioned female purely so its easier to find online.
It sounded more like he said "Gwe-dez" to me?

Last edited:

Ragnar

Reaction score
I enjoy some of the Talking Wolves content but had to skip through the Guedes video as I have no idea what their obsession is with trying to pronounce the name as someone from Portugal would. A- it sounds ridiculous B- he's not called "Gedsh" FFS :tearsofjoy:

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I enjoy some of the Talking Wolves content but had to skip through the Guedes video as I have no idea what their obsession is with trying to pronounce the name as someone from Portugal would. A- it sounds ridiculous B- he's not called "Gedsh" FFS :tearsofjoy:
Talking of pronunciation, I watched some of our pre season and I can't recall which game but we had English commentators pronouncing even our British players in an accent. Made me chuckle.
Mclarenesque.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll be in S5 on sat awaiting my dog poouffle.
Feel free to bring a doggy bag.
As for the "morons". Spouting hate and bile. I agree we have no room for that at all.
There's a difference between all out negativity/abuse and humour though.
I've made plenty of off handish comments about how tight and inept Jeff and sellars appear to be but in reality it has to be difficult navigating the transfer market whilst ensuring sustainability of a premier League club.
We could so easily end up like Everton who are in it up to their eyeballs. It is clear Jeff and Co are businessmen first but the signings of Collins and Guedes are definite signs that they are listening to Bruno when it comes to the footballing side of our club. Moving Coady out is just as big a call.
Bruno is being backed and that makes me very happy.
Well said.

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I'd be pretty happy tbh, i think only 12/13 players bettered 11 goals in last seasons premier league?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His career stats for contributing to goal creation and shot creation are comparable to Neto or Jota, so not too shabby. His dribbling is right up there amongst the best. It should be like having two Netos on the pitch, one of either side of a striker, when played in his preferred position. I’m also excited that Lage will know him well from Benfica youth, where he came through when Lage was manager.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe it clicks for him here but he's never been a massive goal machine. Doesn't really score many tapins.

But he can do what we've lacked since Jota, really drive the ball forward and be direct. Gets a number of assists too.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His career stats for contributing to goal creation and shot creation are comparable to Neto or Jota, so not too shabby. His dribbling is right up there amongst the best. It should be like having two Netos on the pitch, one of either side of a striker, when played in his preferred position. I’m also excited that Lage will know him well from Benfica youth, where he came through when Lage was manager.
Thanks, good points!

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
My strong suspicion is that the current recruitment team will have one fewer member soon. No info or anything, just a hunch.
It's Hobbs isn't it? Bloody well knew it. He got lost in the Amazon and found himself an Inca bride.

Think there will be glut of PL incoming / outgoing. Clubs been playing a patient game of chess, but it going to get frenzied.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's Hobbs isn't it? Bloody well knew it. He got lost in the Amazon and found himself an Inca bride.

Think there will be glut of PL incoming / outgoing. Clubs been playing a patient game of chess, but it going to get frenzied.
LMAO @ Inca Bride

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I have made clear, I am not a fan of the current recruitment team, but fair play, I think Guedes is a good signing.
The first part is one hell of an understatement, lol. Respect to you for the credit where it's due though.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
All this goes to show that you can't assess how good / bad a window has been, or how good / bad the recruitment team are, until the window has actually closed. Still some way to go before it can be classed as a really positive window but we're getting there.

Personally, I don't mind people worrying about the window (as the bench was awful on Saturday), or venting a little on here, but I do hate the abusive anger and name calling because they haven't got what they want right NOW, especially some of the personal comments about Sellars. I have no idea what was going on in his life in the past when certain things happened and I wasn't at court to hear the details.

gewolf

Reaction score
I really hope that after this we will have far less criticism of OUR club.
Leicester and Brighton, and maybe more, are two Premier League clubs who have signed absolutely no-one! Imagine how their fans must feel??

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
God forbid that people should actually try to pronounce someone else's name properly, huh. Talk about arrogance - this is how l think it should be! Pathetic.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need a striker and a CM then I will be happy that they have done all they can in this window.

End of the day we all have opinions but progress is marked on league positions . Lets see where we are at the end of the season .

Just out of interest and might be for another thread what is acceptable this year in terms of position we finish .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you remember when Solbakken was here and someone wanted to call him Scoobs?
Nicknames are slightly different and can be subjective. I got pulled up, perhaps rightly but it's something that has been used to me and l picked up on, for calling Joleon "JoLo". Scoobs is bloody naff though.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These days it's probably safest to call Guides He or Him !

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this goes to show that you can't assess how good / bad a window has been, or how good / bad the recruitment team are, until the window has actually closed. Still some way to go before it can be classed as a really positive window but we're getting there.

Personally, I don't mind people worrying about the window (as the bench was awful on Saturday), or venting a little on here, but I do hate the abusive anger and name calling because they haven't got what they want right NOW, especially some of the personal comments about Sellars. I have no idea what was going on in his life in the past when certain things happened and I wasn't at court to hear the details.
Agree with this mainly. I think it is very difficult for fans to second guess what is going on. I have to admit to being a bit nonplussed with some of the rumours around MGW as I'm a fan of his, but if the right offer comes in, then every player has a price.

Your second sentence is key. We're about halfway to this being a good window, but we're still short of a striker (one of the strangest things I think we will all agree is that there was no immediate replacement for Fabio when he went on a much needed loan) and of course that continual bete noir, a CM.

I remember when Wolves moved for Magic Mick many years ago. The club signed Gary Breen the day BEFORE he was announced. That was a sign of getting your ducks in a row and a leading indicator of what the club were doing. They may well be doing it with MGW / Guedes, but the areas that need most strengthening are the ones where we have lacked the most impetus.

Of course it's tricky to operate where the millions of pounds obscures the human angle (which often gets overlooked in this, I just can't imagine being with one employer in the morning and then another in the PM as with Coady), but the striker situation just adds fuel to the fire, so you can see why people get agitated and then do drive-by posts.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto is more of a wide forward than Guedes who likes to cut in it seems. Presumably that would slightly change the dynamics at full back, with Ait Nouri maybe getting pushed more forward?
Will it then be MGW or Podence playing behind a striker in a 4231 or a new player (the former maybe sold, Podence often out injured)?

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing how and where he plays. It's nice to have another attacking talent come in at the start of the season.

Back
Top Bottom