Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goalscorers

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s the personnel. None of our forwards, bar Raul (and Hwang in Austria), have good goalscoring records throughout their careers. Same for midfield, same for wingbacks.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think the system is OK, but we need to improve the link up between the wingbacks when they have the ball out wide and the front 3, and a few more different types of ball, if Raul is going to come deep alot of the time and link up play then we need someone else to the the spearhead of the attach, can see what Bruno is trying to do and how he wants it to work, just not good enough at executing it at the moment

maybe some of the current player can improve that, but also some new blood in a few positions is probably what is needed

Last edited:

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The personnel.

We never scored that many, even when we were finishing 7th and had Jota and Doherty chipping in goals that Silva and Semedo have come nowhere near doing. Our strength was always the defensive solidity of the system.

We consistently recruit players who have no real goalscoring record: Cutrone (3 Serie A goals in the season before we thought he was worth spending 16 million on), Podence (only a few goals in an average league), Hwang (bombed in the Bundesliga), Silva (1 professional goal to his name), etc.

Whatever system we play won't make Traore a cool and clinical finisher or start Neves, Moutinho and Dendoncker off regularly finishing off chances. From what I've seen of how Trincao shoots to date he doesn't look likely to rescue us either (point blank miss v Newcastle and made a right mess of a brilliant opportunity vs Man Utd).

The scouting system and the supposedly endless dossiers of players watched around the world needs to come to the party and find some quality finishers for players that fit into our budget.

Last edited:

superwolves

Reaction score
The system doesn't need changing our defensive quality is what's getting us points on the board. Goalscorers come at a hefty price if you want guaranteed goals. Makes you wonder for Fabio if he's not getting even a 5 minute cameo with the lack of goals

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need need new players with proven scoring records I called this out during the last shambles of a transfer window and as a team we are woefully short on players who can score goals.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need need new players with proven scoring records I called this out during the last shambles of a transfer window and as a team we are woefully short on players who can score goals.
Whilst you're typically hyberbolic, can't disagree that signing players who dont score goals isn't the greatest idea for a team that barely scores!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not gonna score many when you're not creating any chances - system before players
We brought, crossed or passed the ball about 35 times into the Burnley penalty box.Last year we were not getting those kind of results.
Goals will come.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our players don't sniff out goals. They don't seem to get in those positions for crosses and rebounds that get you 5 a season

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me there’s no cohesion between the front three, they work as individuals, not as teammates who know each other’s games inside out. You saw the way Liverpool’s forwards moved around each other and it was like watching a different game.

It doesn’t help either that near enough every time we go forward, there’s never anyone in the box. Raul was drifting all over the place today.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dele Ali while he is out of favour, on loan initially.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me there’s no cohesion between the front three, they work as individuals, not as teammates who know each other’s games inside out. You saw the way Liverpool’s forwards moved around each other and it was like watching a different game.

It doesn’t help either that near enough every time we go forward, there’s never anyone in the box. Raul was drifting all over the place today.
It's fine for Raul to drift, Jota did it all game for Liverpool. Wide forwards just need to get in the box when he does

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We brought, crossed or passed the ball about 35 times into the Burnley penalty box.Last year we were not getting those kind of results.
Goals will come.
Last year despite all the problems, we were scoring at a higher ratio than we are now, we had one good chance against Burnley - we've had one good chance in the last three matches - and it wasn't from a ball into the box. System needs to go back to early season with the high pressing and brave football or we're just going to get worse

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last year despite all the problems, we were scoring at a higher ratio than we are now, we had one good chance against Burnley - we've had one good chance in the last three matches - and it wasn't from a ball into the box. System needs to go back to early season with the high pressing and brave football or we're just going to get worse
We had 4 good chances against Burnley…..
Hwangs, Dendonckers, and Traore’s 2

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had 4 good chances against Burnley…..
Hwangs, Dendonckers, and Traore’s 2
Hwang and Dendoncker didn't have good chances, they were half chances at best. Can't remember a Traore effort other than the one off the bar

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every club aside from Norwich has scored more goals than us.

Do I honestly believe we have the 19th best set of attackers in the league? I'm critical of us but I can't have that at all.

I think we're good going forward - on paper. So, it has to be system. Has to be. These players are capable of so much more and the only reason they aren't doing more has to be the system.

I noticed this comment from Klopp on Jota in the build-up to today's game.

"He makes the difference with his attitude. I am excited by his mix. People say he didn't score loads at Wolves but they had the most intense workload for offensive wingers. It cost him energy and he was young then. He's really interesting.""

That says it all. Our wingers don't play where every other winger plays. Why? Because we have to defend. Why do we have to defend? Because the current options need protection all the time.

Seriously, that's Klopp's view. It should wake a few people up.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactics are a large problem at present. Cant see us scoring more than 2 goals in a game any time soon with the way we are set up. It is so boring and so frustrating after how dreadful last season was.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have one experienced, senior striker, who is not 100% back to his old self. Trying hard, working hard, but not back to his sharp self. We have a 35m wonder kid who’s seemingly not yet ready, and another two experienced strikers out on loan never to be seen again. We have a few forwards who join in the attacks but rarely score. Some more injured or out on loan.

We’ve said for at least two years that we need another senior striker to ease the burden on Raul, yet we struggle to sign one who fits the need. We saw today exactly the kind of striker we are missing in Origi. Someone who is ready and able to come on and score important goals, but who’s seemingly happy to wait on the bench for the call. I don’t think he’s going to willingly swap that role at Liverpool for the same role at Wolves, but surely to hell, we can find someone else in that mould?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its a bit of the players and the system. Adama and Trincao arent clinical enough in front of goal. Hwang started well and has faded badly. We need our wide attackers to be goal threats in this formation, and they simply arent. On top of that, we dont get enough goals from midfield.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We need a better use of the system we have, we need better options for the players in the system. Raul has looked poor for 3 games, that's about him ploughing a very lonely furrow.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've always had to pay a premium for genuine goal scorers. Goals are what it's about and those who have that gift of composed finishing will be the single most important players. The rest is just single figure percentage gains to grab an extra point or two here and there.

You'd expect to have to spend a huge amount on a goal scorer, these days. About £35M minimum, maybe?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Do I honestly believe we have the 19th best set of attackers in the league? I'm critical of us but I can't have that at all.

I think we're good going forward - on paper. So, it has to be system. Has to be. These players are capable of so much more and the only reason they aren't doing more has to be the system.

"He makes the difference with his attitude. I am excited by his mix. People say he didn't score loads at Wolves but they had the most intense workload for offensive wingers. It cost him energy and he was young then. He's really interesting.""

That says it all. Our wingers don't play where every other winger plays. Why? Because we have to defend. Why do we have to defend? Because the current options need protection all the time.

He's talking about a couple of seasons ago, though. Our forwards don't get back anywhere near as much as they did then. Defending corners, we'd always have all 11 in our area. Not any more, Traore is often staying upfield - that's how he's got some of his chances this season.

I vividly remember Jota back around our penalty area just defending in open play. I never saw the point of that back then and I think this is what Klopp is getting at. When asked on forwards, Nuno would occasionally start talking about "their defensive duties". I really don't think Bruno expects Hwang, Raul , Traore, Trincao and Podence to have *any* defensive duties at all. (other than Raul back for corners because he is useful in the air).

On the infamous XG, despite a grim week, we still have scored significantly fewer than we *should* have. Which implies we are making enough chances. Not today, obviously, but overall, apparently our XG is nearly 6 goals higher than we have actually scored. Though most of that was earlier in the season.
Other than the stats, just watching us, for me we play a 3-4-3 and the problem is between the "4" and the front "3". The back 3 are getting the ball to the midfield 4 well enough. It's from there that it often breaks down. Or slows down. And the front 3 themselves...where is the interplay? Interplay just isn't in Adama, its' run, shoot , cross and that's it. I'm wondering if Hwang also is not up to it? Podence is the only one consistently showing the sort of guile and smarts you need to create chances at this level. Either way, I just don't see their workload as being the problem. Put Mbappe in for Traore and say, Jota in for Hwang, keep all else the same and I'd be fairly sure the goals would flow! Lewandoski in for Raul and we'd be Champions League places, easy.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to give goalscorers decent chances. Hwang, Raul, Willians and Silva were or are starved for good chances. Only Neto and Podence seem to understand this. Mouthino is soooooooo reluctant to make a forward pass although I will say that this season Neves is doing better moving the ball forward.
Raul and Hwang have to go scrounging for the ball constantly. Thats great for our opponents because if Raul and Hwang are elsewhere, then they’re not much of a threat.
And generally, our crosses are lousy…..often too high, bad aiming, etc.

You could put the best strikers in the world in the Wolves forward line and they too would disappear into thin air.
And that is on the coach.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve gone back to our nuno ways and that’s because Bruno knows this side is limited and restricted. We need fresh improvements soon or we will be playing with fire

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to give goalscorers decent chances. Hwang, Raul, Willians and Silva were or are starved for good chances. Only Neto and Podence seem to understand this. Mouthino is soooooooo reluctant to make a forward pass although I will say that this season Neves is doing better moving the ball forward.
Raul and Hwang have to go scrounging for the ball constantly. Thats great for our opponents because if Raul and Hwang are elsewhere, then they’re not much of a threat.
And generally, our crosses are lousy…..often too high, bad aiming, etc.

You could put the best strikers in the world in the Wolves forward line and they too would disappear into thin air.
And that is on the coach.

If it's only our coach, why did Hwang score no goals in 20 matches last season? Why has Traore never been a goal scorer for any club under several coaches? Where is the evidence that Trincao and Podence have ever been goal scorers at this level, again with several coaches? Which of our forwards had a stellar goal scoring record that has suddenly dried up under Bruno? None of them. The evidence is that our forwards disappear into thin air whatever club they play for. I suppose it's all we can afford so we have to make do and mend. The interesting one is Jose, who has started scoring now he is back in Spain. But that wasn't Bruno who stopped him scoring for us, was it?

I disagree that the best strikers need goals delivered to them on a plate. They can make their own goals with intelligent movement - especially at this level. Skills, they beat players, the forwards all play intelligent passes. Ours have minimal movement and misplace so many passes, that's where our attacks are breaking down. Intelligent runs? Other than Raul and Podence (when fit, which seems rare), no chance, forget it.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's only our coach, why did Hwang score no goals in 20 matches last season? Why has Traore never been a goal scorer for any club under several coaches? Where is the evidence that Trincao and Podence have ever been goal scorers at this level, again with several coaches? Which of our forwards had a stellar goal scoring record that has suddenly dried up under Bruno? None of them. The evidence is that our forwards disappear into thin air whatever club they play for. I suppose it's all we can afford so we have to make do and mend. The interesting one is Jose, who has started scoring now he is back in Spain. But that wasn't Bruno who stopped him scoring for us, was it?

I disagree that the best strikers need goals delivered to them on a plate. They can make their own goals with intelligent movement - especially at this level. Skills, they beat players, the forwards all play intelligent passes. Ours have minimal movement and misplace so many passes, that's where our attacks are breaking down. Intelligent runs? Other than Raul and Podence (when fit, which seems rare), no chance, forget it.
Spot on Raul and Podence work. Hwang gone off the boil & Traore couldn’t finish his dinner. Il be glad to see 40pts

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hwang and Dendoncker didn't have good chances, they were half chances at best. Can't remember a Traore effort other than the one off the bar

Second half. Low shot from around the right side edge of the box. Looked like it was going well wide. Keeper pushed it away for a corner

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Both.
Not convinced we have the personal to ever be a clinical team. Lack of goals is also partly down to playing an extra defender and deep sitting midfielder players.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both.
Not convinced we have the personal to ever be a clinical team. Lack of goals is also partly down to playing an extra defender and deep sitting midfielder players.

Liverpool also play 3 at the back. Doesn't prevent them , or several other teams that play 3-4-3, from scoring loads of goals.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Enlightening from Klopp. Mind you, I bet he wasn't as complementary after Jota's 'miss of the decade'.

Raul was often exhausted by the way we played. Nowadays, we rely solely on our wingbacks pinging the ball into a an opposition penalty box mostly devoid of old gold shirts. Or Traore making a bullying sprint for the line and then wondering what to do with the ball. Liverpool, on the other hand, have lots of players making runs and the efforts are shared around the team.

RANs suspected hamstring is all down to the game he had and amount of energy our wingbacks are expected to exert. The fact that some Wolves fans criticise RAN and Semedo for their crossing and lack of assists tells the story. Until we start sharing the burden, so to speak, to create chances from different areas of the pitch, including our woeful midfield, then we will struggle. In my humble opinion!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enlightening from Klopp. Mind you, I bet he wasn't as complementary after Jota's 'miss of the decade'.

Raul was often exhausted by the way we played. Nowadays, we rely solely on our wingbacks pinging the ball into a an opposition penalty box mostly devoid of old gold shirts. Or Traore making a bullying sprint for the line and then wondering what to do with the ball. Liverpool, on the other hand, have lots of players making runs and the efforts are shared around the team.

RANs suspected hamstring is all down to the game he had and amount of energy our wingbacks are expected to exert. The fact that some Wolves fans criticise RAN and Semedo for their crossing and lack of assists tells the story. Until we start sharing the burden, so to speak, to create chances from different areas of the pitch, including our woeful midfield, then we will struggle. In my humble opinion!
Well said!!

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are three issues;
1. We need to move to a back 4 if only to get an extra body in midfield.
2. The transition from defence to midfield is ok, but thats where our lack of numbers in midfield becomes a problem as we are unable either to retain possession in central areas to 'feed' the forwards, or to send 'runners' beyond the defence.
3. There is a lack of movement by the front 3. Watching Liverpool yesterday it was noticeable how their forwards drifted into whatever space was available. Our forwards often appear to be static, waiting to be spoon-fed by the midfield which, as indicated above, isn't going to happen. It was also apparent that as soon as one of our wing-backs got forward Liverpool dropped a forward into the space he had vacated - simple stuff, but effective.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are three issues;
1. We need to move to a back 4 if only to get an extra body in midfield.
2. The transition from defence to midfield is ok, but thats where our lack of numbers in midfield becomes a problem as we are unable either to retain possession in central areas to 'feed' the forwards, or to send 'runners' beyond the defence.
3. There is a lack of movement by the front 3. Watching Liverpool yesterday it was noticeable how their forwards drifted into whatever space was available. Our forwards often appear to be static, waiting to be spoon-fed by the midfield which, as indicated above, isn't going to happen. It was also apparent that as soon as one of our wing-backs got forward Liverpool dropped a forward into the space he had vacated - simple stuff, but effective.

You mention the lack of movement but if Raul moves oitwide, our other players very rarely move inside and when they do have the thought process to understand how to move in the middle. Only Hwang could do that. Need to really rethink our team. It's the same issue as Nunos last year we just have Raul this year and are more organized under Bruno.

Back
Top Bottom