Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Game changers

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eddie Jones the England Rugby Union coach calls his subs game changers, and its so relevant now there are 5 subs. These are no longer injury replacements, they're guys you bring on to change the dynamic of the game!

We made 1 change today, and my stream failed at the end, do I didn't see how Campbell did. But the fact is he didn't change the game!

If we decide to keep Adama for the next 12 months, then he definitely fits in the game changer mould. Outside of that though, we've got no one! If we sign Batshuayi he starts, and even though I thought Hwang had a decent game, he's unlikely to unlock a stubborn defence. Raul also still needs to prove his worth since injury.

When we play top 10 teams, most of them will have impactful subs!

We need AT LEAST 1 more cm, am/wide forward and striker!

If not this is going to be a long season!!!

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
We’ll be keeping Traore and letting him go on a free one has to assume, but outside of that I’ve no words

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Think Eddie Jones calls them finishers if I remember correctly. Rugby used to call them reserves quite a lot which he didn't like

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That bench was so far off the required standard for this league, the board/ recruitment team only have themselves to blame.

I messaged my mates before kickoff and said if we go a goal down there’s nobody on the bench to change things. Completely unsurprising how that played out.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6 subs seeking PL debut, 1 sub with less than 180mins PL experience and other 2 subs are CBs. Could have put Boly up front last 10 mins!

With Coady to go we’ll be unable to revert to a Back 5 when we need to as well.

Long season ahead unless we can pull some rabbits out of hat in the next 3 weeks.

Raul, Semedo, Moutinho and Traore returning will help but not enough. Need to be able to change game with 5 subs - needs 2 able WBs/FBs as well as front 3.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eddie Jones the England Rugby Union coach calls his subs game changers, and its so relevant now there are 5 subs. These are no longer injury replacements, they're guys you bring on to change the dynamic of the game!

We made 1 change today, and my stream failed at the end, do I didn't see how Campbell did. But the fact is he didn't change the game!

If we decide to keep Adama for the next 12 months, then he definitely fits in the game changer mould. Outside of that though, we've got no one! If we sign Batshuayi he starts, and even though I thought Hwang had a decent game, he's unlikely to unlock a stubborn defence. Raul also still needs to prove his worth since injury.

When we play top 10 teams, most of them will have impactful subs!

We need AT LEAST 1 more cm, am/wide forward and striker!

If not this is going to be a long season!!!
We don't need game changers, we need better first team players at CM and at striker. Let donk be the guy who comes on to steady the ship. Let Podence and MGW be the guys who come on and change the game.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't need game changers, we need better first team players at CM and at striker. Let donk be the guy who comes on to steady the ship. Let Podence and MGW be the guys who come on and change the game.

We're not disagreeing. My point is, now you can't have a first xi. You now need a first xvi! Any team that can't provide that is going to be doomed!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, that's how I view it at the moment. The bench was weak, but so was Leeds. And if you look at other matches line ups today, several other teams looked no better. Coady and Boly would probably be in the first 11 of a few other sides, too. The lack of striker was there from the first minute. If we'd had one capable of applying a finish to our attacks, the bench would have been irrelevant as we'd have been defending a lead, not chasing the game - and Coady would be fine for that!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're not disagreeing. My point is, now you can't have a first xi. You now need a first xvi! Any team that can't provide that is going to be doomed!

It's not changed that much. The matches I've seen so far, none of them hinged on the extra subs. HArdly noticed it. Only the big 6 are rich enough to have a bench full of spare, experienced first teamers waiting for rotation. It will benefit them, but for the "best of the rest" it will be a couple of extra under 23's filling in.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not changed that much. The matches I've seen so far, none of them hinged on the extra subs. HArdly noticed it. Only the big 6 are rich enough to have a bench full of spare, experienced first teamers waiting for rotation. It will benefit them, but for the "best of the rest" it will be a couple of extra under 23's filling in.
Fair enough, I've only watched our game. But over the course of a season it will make a difference.

The teams with larger pools of resources will rise. Those that dont may cling on for a few years, but will eventually fade away.

The small squad mentality is pretty much done.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not one on the bench today when you can bring on 5 subs.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Sure I heard yesterday that excluding Boly and Coady the other 7 subs had a combined total of 5 starts and 0 goals between them
Has there ever been a more inexperienced bench in the history of the PL?
Yes we have injuries but this is totally down to transfer inertia and a lack of interest by the powers that be.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough, I've only watched our game. But over the course of a season it will make a difference.

The teams with larger pools of resources will rise. Those that dont may cling on for a few years, but will eventually fade away.

The small squad mentality is pretty much done.

Too late! It's already happened. Whether it helps, one of the Other 14 , like Newcastle or Villa, who tend to spend a lot without ever bridging the gap, remains to be seen. It's a squad game over the course of a season, but I'm not sure that it is a squad game within one 90 minute match. Unless they start changing rules to allow a set piece taker to sit on the bench and just come on to taek set pieces or something.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure I heard yesterday that excluding Boly and Coady the other 7 subs had a combined total of 5 starts and 0 goals between them
Forest? Other than Hennessy, I think they had zero PL starts on their bench yesterday. A few in the French league and Bundesliga, though.

Looking at other clubs benches, as there are a lot of comments around ours. Yes, especially outside of the Big 6, there are young players with few appearances, on the bench. But also older players and those with experience in the top European leagues. Ironically, Leeds were also very inexperienced, other than Klich, they had Gelhardt with 5 starts a couple with 1 and the rest with none.

So yes, that proves your point, as no way should a club established for 4 years in this league, have such a lack of experience on the bench. We should not be comparable to a club that hasn't been in this league this century. (or Leeds if we want to avoid a relegation battle).

Yes we have injuries but this is totally down to transfer inertia and a lack of interest by the powers that be.

It is. Whether complacency or penny pinching or combination of both. The money was cut off after the Fabio transfer and it looks like the squad that was built then, will have to survive until this rumoured new investor arrives.

Isn't this one of the ways that established clubs drop out this league? It's not just because clubs go broke spending big. The more common way is just cutting off the spending because they presumably think "we survived last year, no need to spend much more, we'll be fine".

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on. Our bench was a disgrace.

Based on recent news we may well be strengthened and of course all teams have injuries.

It’s like they’ve written off August.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too late! It's already happened. Whether it helps, one of the Other 14 , like Newcastle or Villa, who tend to spend a lot without ever bridging the gap, remains to be seen. It's a squad game over the course of a season, but I'm not sure that it is a squad game within one 90 minute match. Unless they start changing rules to allow a set piece taker to sit on the bench and just come on to taek set pieces or something.
I think the only tactic it will suit is the "put ten men behind the ball, and bring on 4 big lads late on"

Back
Top Bottom