Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fosun to pull out?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Have to say something like this has always been possible. Looking at the way Alibaba has said 'yes, sir' to the CCP today if they tell Fosun to pull out of Wolves they will do. The summer's window will tell us a lot...

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think Fosun really see themselves as a Chinese business at this point, so much as an international business based out of China. Not to say developments like these aren't a worry - they are of course worth keeping an eye on - but I don't think Fosun would follow that lead.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is definitely a worry. They have been after further investment for a while now, so let's hope that is forthcoming.

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
Just like everything else in life, make sure you enjoy it while it’s good.

Not that this season has been quite as enjoyable as the last three.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who knows what's happening? It's hard enough to know what's going on here, let alone in China. As well as the Chinese authorities views I also wonder how Fosun feel things are going at Wolves? 5th season in and finishing 12th/16th may make them seriously re-think their commitment to Wolves. This summer will certainly give us an idea how things are going.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as FOSUN still own part of Gestifute I reckon we are fine. I would imagine they would dispose of that before us. I don't reckon this season will have much of an impact in terms of our league position, they said at the start this was a transition season and they were willing to accept a lower place finish. Of course, the big unknown is how the pandemic has affected things.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will always respect and thank Fosun for what they have done, not only for Wolves but the wider community.

Hopefully the progress we have seen on the pitch continues, is Fosuns ownership any different from any clubs in the football league? We saw sir Jack (rip) basically pull the plug, then Morgan did similar when he'd had enough.

Live for today, enjoy the moments, nothings guaranteed.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wolves situation is different from the examples given of owners leaving. Owners are pulling out, as cited, because either they are not generating a return on their investment, or because the owner has fallen out of favour with the government, or because they only invested to gain favour with the government.

Fosun has so far seen a good return on their investment in Wolves, and Guo has not yet fallen on the wrong side of the government. While these two things hold I think we’re fine with Fosun unless there is an even bigger falling out between China and U.K.

The change in mood on football by the government could still negatively impact us however. For a start it might limit the potential growth in Wolves commercial business in China, which could have been a big earner for us. Secondly it may well explain why plans for a new stadium stalled, since this is unlikely to generate major returns in the short term. Given this, it makes sense that Fosun would seek other investors to come in, especially if they help us access new markets and/or finance for development on and off the pitch.

Persian_Wolf

Reaction score
This is a copy/paste of an older article. Difference is Fosun is an international conglomerate and not only doing business within China. Anyway, think we need to wait and see what Fosun intentions during the transfer dealings at the end of this season. I am positive that they will invest again in Wolves.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last years comments on being self sustainable were an advanced warning of Fosuns diminishing investment in the club
Obviously they wont keep bankrolling us for ever
The main plus is that Fosun are one of the least government controlled concerns in China,although thats no guarantee,it gives us hope for a few years yet
With any communist state,you always have the concern that the powers in charge will decide what your future will be, whatever your aims are,its a different culture and far less free
I think its been obvious that we wont get countless millions thrown at us for some time,but thats not to say there wont be any investment at all,they are business people, and if they can see a return on the near horizon they will speculate
All that said it just concretes my assertion that we have to sell to buy in future,so expect one at least of our stars to depart come seasons end

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way some people react to the prospect of Fosun selling up is strange. To realise a decent profit they need us to be in the PL so barring a liquidation sale whereby they sell the whole squad and training ground it is in their interests to keep us in the PL.

There are plenty of rich people out there who’d like to own a PL club and the things that made us attractive to Fosun - history, potential and identity amongst others - will interest others now. Fosun got us very cheap and gambled on investment getting us to the PL.. Only a fool would want them to leave based on everything they’ve done since owning us but if they did it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much could in that article. Could could could.

Suppose we'll need to fill the gap between the Euros and start of next season worrying about something that's going catastrophically wrong at Wolves, it may as well be something like this.

If they ever did sell, you know somebody else very rich is coming. So not really a disaster, in theory.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't believe Fosun will pull out. But not sure how much they are willing to commit to progress the first team especially after all the Covid-related losses. They won't want to jeopardise their investment so hopefully enough will be done to keep us up in the top 12 or so. But we are in crazy times and this summer already seems to have more importance than ever in terms of wise player trading and squad improvement after a season when we went backwards.

D

Deleted member 11332

The way some people react to the prospect of Fosun selling up is strange. To realise a decent profit they need us to be in the PL so barring a liquidation sale whereby they sell the whole squad and training ground it is in their interests to keep us in the PL.

There are plenty of rich people out there who’d like to own a PL club and the things that made us attractive to Fosun - history, potential and identity amongst others - will interest others now. Fosun got us very cheap and gambled on investment getting us to the PL.. Only a fool would want them to leave based on everything they’ve done since owning us but if they did it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

This very much resembles my view.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re not mentioned by name whatsoever nor does it mention the purchase of Grasshoppers which appears to be after some of these others pulling out. A lot of the Chinese ownership eg. Xia at Villa seemed to be individuals who were rich but not as rich as they thought they were. The CCP have already had the conversation with Guo so Fosun have gone in with their eyes wide open. The article also fails to talk about soft diplomacy and the influence that could have through football ownership.

at some point we will have to be self sustaining and I don’t think this transfer window will be an indication of Fosuns future intentions but rather a reflection of 12 months of reduced income. All clubs will be in the same boat and whilst there may be some bargains it’ll be a slower summer market and few massive moves. For a better indication most of the squad have signed fresh deals over the last 2 years which indicates some commitment. We also went after Jose in January which whilst a loan could still cost us £18m (unlikely now). If we sell Traore or Neves for peanuts and don’t reinvest then I’d be concerned.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funnily enough I am a bit more reassured about Fosun commitment after reading that article.
It was clear from Xi Jingping's UK trip ( in the David Cameron years) about the link between English football and China's political interest with regard to World Football .
I felt Fosun were in danger of antagonising the Chinese leadership just by their mere ownership of Wolves, being out of sync with China policy.
But if correctly reported XI Jingping's attitude is a sensible and pragmatic attitude.
That approach appears to be - if it is no good for China then drop your interest.
Wolves are primarily a business and a very good investment and I think shows China a lot of good light, with positive PR and an economic return to boot. I cant see Wolves does anything but good to China's image. If that changed well may be so would the ownership.
But I see Wolves as a Thomas Cook type investment. Grand old name with a modern international industry.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one knows what is being discussed within the hierarchies of any major companies really, let alone overseas ones. Yes, relationships with Chinese companies are more difficult to interpret but remember that Fosun is a multi-national corporation that operates worldwide in sectors from insurance and banking to pharmaceuticals, technology, property, fashion, medical, etc etc and also that Wolves is part of Fosun’s “entertainment / leisure division” that also includes Cirque de Solieil, Studio 8, Thomas Cook, Club Med etc - do we really think that Fosun is going to pull back behind the bamboo curtain and sell off large swathes of its western businesses? No, I don’t think so, they will make decisions based on their perception of sound business analysis and need.

In real terms the value of Wolves has risen in the last 4 years and there is every indication that could still continue, so why sell Wolves now? Fosun are an investment company, they will realise their investment at some point and put their money somewhere else but I don’t see that as being now. That said, I don’t see them giving us hand outs now either, they have made it clear, I think, that we have to be self sufficient so we will have to sell our best players to buy the next prospects. We bought an 18 year old for £35M last summer after selling Jota and Doc, that is not the act of a company that is going to sell us. We also retained Raul when he could have been sold for decent money. I would expect something similar this summer with a couple of high profile players leaving who are perceived to have reached their potential at Wolves, a couple of key players being retained on new contracts and some young prospects being brought in who, it is estimated, will gain in value.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are registered in Hong Kong..... Different laws to China. I wouldn’t worry just yet

The CCP can say and do as the please Fosun are big enough to move to say Europe for example. However unlikely

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Questions about Fosuns commitment to Wolves have been asked since the day they bought us. The club should be able to function quite well without any more money from Fosun, indeed I'm not sure that they can put that much more in to transfers at least as FFP stands. They've also stated the club has to be self financing but money is available if required so maybe you won't be able to tell much from the summer's transfers.
Its possible that the Chinese government might put pressure on to Fosun to sell up but they very well might not. Why would you assume the worst though? Unless they were to asset strip the club in the summer, drastically reducing any sales price, they would leave us in a far better place than they found us if they sold tomorrow.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we were only a political acquisition we would have had money thrown at us regardless of economic returns , now we are purely a business . I am happy with that , good resources and good management .
Lets not forget SJH gave up interest and Steve Morgan , so it can happen to any owner.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one knows what is being discussed within the hierarchies of any major companies really, let alone overseas ones. Yes, relationships with Chinese companies are more difficult to interpret but remember that Fosun is a multi-national corporation that operates worldwide in sectors from insurance and banking to pharmaceuticals, technology, property, fashion, medical, etc etc and also that Wolves is part of Fosun’s “entertainment / leisure division” that also includes Cirque de Solieil, Studio 8, Thomas Cook, Club Med etc - do we really think that Fosun is going to pull back behind the bamboo curtain and sell off large swathes of its western businesses? No, I don’t think so, they will make decisions based on their perception of sound business analysis and need.

In real terms the value of Wolves has risen in the last 4 years and there is every indication that could still continue, so why sell Wolves now? Fosun are an investment company, they will realise their investment at some point and put their money somewhere else but I don’t see that as being now. That said, I don’t see them giving us hand outs now either, they have made it clear, I think, that we have to be self sufficient so we will have to sell our best players to buy the next prospects. We bought an 18 year old for £35M last summer after selling Jota and Doc, that is not the act of a company that is going to sell us. We also retained Raul when he could have been sold for decent money. I would expect something similar this summer with a couple of high profile players leaving who are perceived to have reached their potential at Wolves, a couple of key players being retained on new contracts and some young prospects being brought in who, it is estimated, will gain in value.
And that is the way it should be or you end up with a load of problems. It keeps the club focused on doing things right. We wont fall in to the wasteful traps of Leeds and Portmouth in the early days.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if the scousers will put in a bid, 13million a season and a pack of scampi fries as a sweetener?

Back
Top Bottom