Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Formation change

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It keeps being said by people that he does wish/plan to switch to a back 4 at some point.

Feels like that would be a major thing, not only for the first team but for the younger teams who play the same way helping them have a pathway to the first team. Players like Marquis who has been doing the Coady role for several seasons now..

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It keeps being said by people that he does wish/plan to switch to a back 4 at some point.

Feels like that would be a major thing, not only for the first team but for the younger teams who play the same way helping them have a pathway to the first team. Players like Marquis who has been doing the Coady role for several seasons now..

Would be a big change for some to go to a back four but players that are quality shouldn't struggle to adapt.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The elephant in the room here would be that our captain cannot play in a back four. He isnt physically commanding enough or quick enough.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why the clamour for back 4 still?
Because we've played back 3 with wing backs and found it very hard to score in a season and half.
Trouble is, Jonny and Semedo could be full backs in a 4, what happens to RAN, and we'd need 2 new centre backs. Big money when we probably need a new striker and midfielder too?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we've played back 3 with wing backs and found it very hard to score in a season and half.
Trouble is, Jonny and Semedo could be full backs in a 4, what happens to RAN, and we'd need 2 new centre backs. Big money when we probably need a new striker and midfielder too?
And that'll guarantee goals?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
what happens to RAN?

he'll be bought for decent money regardless so it could probably fund the other positions required.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we may end up playing 4 at the back for some of the time, but think it will be in addition to the formations we currently use rather than replacing them entirely. Teams these days need to be able to play in different styles systems change things around depending on opposition strengths, injuries in own team etc.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So is Kilman deemed not good enough to play in a back 4?
I personally would have thought that Kilman and Boly, depending on the latter's fitness would provide a fairly solid central defence.
We could then play with 2 defensive midfielders to provide protection for the back 4, and have MGW in an attacking central midfield role.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The elephant in the room here would be that our captain cannot play in a back four. He isnt physically commanding enough or quick enough.

I watched him play in a back 4 for England in the second half on Saturday, against a decent Swiss side.

Positionally he was great, he spoke loads and he was a real leader.

I think his strengths and weaknesses are the same regardless of formation.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't need any new CBs. KIlman, Boly and I believe Coady can all play in a 4. We have options already. Well stocked at FB, just need the mf and striker sorted. If we keep Neves then just 2 quality additions and we have a pretty useful side - one certainly capable of pushing top 6 imo.

Reaction score
Attack is the best form of defence and I'd back our defenders to manage in a 4 against all but the very top sides. It's an extra string to our bow to be able to go to the Etihad with an extra defender and be solid, but I'd like to see us make more use of what should be a strong attacking lineup with the players we've got.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So is Kilman deemed not good enough to play in a back 4?
I personally would have thought that Kilman and Boly, depending on the latter's fitness would provide a fairly solid central defence.
We could then play with 2 defensive midfielders to provide protection for the back 4, and have MGW in an attacking central midfield role.
I don’t get that Coady is deemed not good enough yet, but Boly and Kilman are by some.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t share the seemingly common belief that Killman would suit a back 4.

Nor do I think Coady couldn’t.

And I actually think perhaps what is most needed is a real out and out defensive midfielder to protect them.

One thing I am sure of is we will likely concede more goals with a 4 than a 5. So we as fans ought not do the usual thing of completely lambasting any player deemed to be at fault for conceded goals, if we do change..

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of us have seen our CBs play in a back 4 more than a few halves, think it's a great unknown. Kilman with more experience would, Boly with more concentration, Coady with more pace and strength. Dunno tbh
Coady and Saiss looked not too bad a few games last season, I think they’d of looked somewhat better with the more “sweepy” Sa behind them. Also they needed a few more Players in the rest of the team that could help out in the air when defending corners , free kicks etc.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I just cant help thinking people picking Boly are basing it on his pre-injury seasons at Wolves. Since he has returned after Covid he has looked short to me both in his general play and particularly in his concentration. I know people love him and this wont be well received but I have a feeling that he will probably be a player leaving this summer especially as his contract expires in 2023.

Bruno

Reaction score
Alot of teams now seem to play a version of 4-3-3. With the full backs pushed on as wing backs and a holding midfielder that can then hold whilst they push on so the formation becomes more of a 2-3-2-3 which could suit us with the right Centre Mids found to get forward and support the front three. Maybe Coady could change role again and become a CDM it’s basically what he does anyway but further forward

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Elephant in the room? Everytime someone slightly mentions that Lage may switch to a back four there is a scramble by many posters to state their unshakeable belief that Coady can't play in a back four. I thought 'elephant in the room' referred to something that was obvious but people were unwilling to address?!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Toti and Mosquera should be able to play in a back 4, I would have thought.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alot of teams now seem to play a version of 4-3-3. With the full backs pushed on as wing backs and a holding midfielder that can then hold whilst they push on so the formation becomes more of a 2-3-2-3 which could suit us with the right Centre Mids found to get forward and support the front three. Maybe Coady could change role again and become a CDM it’s basically what he does anyway but further forward
He's said many times himself he couldn't play Central midfield in the Premier League.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t believe we aren’t playing with a back 4 this season because Lage believes too many of our players aren’t capable.

I believe we haven’t done so (for the most part) because he decided it best not to change too much at once.

He’s mostly been working on us playing higher, pressing more and (attempting) to be more positive with the ball moving away from being a counter attacking side.

I feel he may look to introduce a back 4 (as another option rather than in place of a back 3) this summer regardless of personnel changes.

He’s spoken previously about this being a project and what he aims to do by the end of his current 3 year contract. He clearly feels he’s going to be given the time to create his own identity so is looking to do this in steps rather than all at once.

I hope that is the case and that he gets his 3 seasons as we’ll be far better for it than we would have had results been demanded instantly and he tried to change everything at once.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Toti and Mosquera should be able to play in a back 4, I would have thought.
No CB in the world is incapable of playing in a back 4. It’s more a question of whether they’re capable of doing it at the level required for us to continue to progress.

That question would still be valid if we stick with a back 3 to be fair so I see no reason why any of our CB’s should be doubted any more in a back 4 than a back 3 until they’ve been given the opportunity to prove themselves.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A back four will also need a more mobile and aggressive midfield to give protection to the defence AND launch attacks.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope so if we can add a player further up the field rather than in defence it might be the difference to solving our poor goals return as the extra body might help create more clear cut chances. They shouldn't however totally abandon the back 5 as there will be games that it will be better suited in, building a squad this summer that gives Lage tactical flexibility is vital in my opinion.

Somebody like Palhihna who offers you that Rodri/Fabinho type presence as an anchor in midfield would be vital to the transition however as without it we would be a defensive disaster in a back 4, likewise the central defenders we go into next season with would dictate if it would be a success as we currently have several defenders with poor positioning and concentration leading to Coady being so vital in the back 3/5.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant see us moving from what is successful for us
We just need more mobility in a few areas and to be more positive in our approach.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just the ability to improvise and implement more than one formation based on the opposition surely isn't too much of an alien ask? For too long this has held us back against sides that admittedly we should be beating and are a better side than.

I completely understand a reserved/go to approach against the likes of Liverpool. But when you're drawing 0-0 with Norwich and Burnley surely you have to realise there's room for a plan B'?

But again, in a long term sense this is very much dependent on us finally signing a new CB/CM which for some reason never seems to materialize.

Last edited:

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trying to think of a formation that will improve on 8th .
1-2–3-5 let’s go retro !
And players to be numbered 1-11.

I don’t think changing to 4 at the back would have a dramatic effect on scoring/ conceding more goals and pushing us into the top 6….. I think we are a mid table team with average to good players.

Strengthening the starting 11 will have more effect on performances and league position than a change of system.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We simply have to go to a 4. We have been there or thereabouts with a 3 for 3 seasons now - but we always have the same problems.

Lack of players in the box, and an inability to create clear cut chances, regularly .

Going to a 4 gets an extra man in midfield and allows you to control the game in the right areaS . We control games in our own third and the middle third - the top teams control teams in the final third .

It has to happen , and fosun have to make the right cb and cm signings for it to happen - but they’ve failed to do that in 3 seasons

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This system, that system, no system, it doesnt matter
You need the players to have the right mindset and quality to adapt at any moment in any game

Our team has been drilled for 4 years to play in a certain way,it will take time to adjust the mentality of them
Its just second nature for them to do the same things over and over again,and for the most part it works

We have been found out to a degree,a high press, high tempo team will worry us every time
The bigger teams that play at a slower pace suits us to the ground, and we get results if we take our chances

The teams like Leeds,WHam,even Norwich to an extent will press us like madmen
We can cope when we are on top form and play round the press, but in the majority of games we struggle with it

A formation change wont alter that,its moving the ball faster and better quality transitions at pace,which means probably a couple of aggressive midfielders and a more pacey CB required

Im sure Bruno wants to do his own brand of football ,and knows we dont have the players at the moment to do that
It will be interesting to see what he does with a full pre season now he knows all the players much better

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My gut feeling is still that we'll see a flexible 433 next season, but with the ability to go 352 in certain games. Though I'm more interested in seeing the profile of players he brings in next, rather than the formation. We'll learn a lot from their first couple of summer signings.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think Mosquera is anywhere near the first team. Toti is probably in front of him, id send Mosquera to Grasshoppers for a season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom