Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

#Football Dreams

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Channel 4, a six part series starting tonight about Crystal Palace's academy and the kids in it. Well worth watching. Some useful insights from Zaha too.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was a good watch.

Thought it was quite sad the way it is though. The level of detail they go into for 12-year-old's playing football was quite something, and hearing a coach (who all came across very well it should be said) shout 'distances' to a defender.

All the focus is on earning a 'contract' and it should be about having fun.

We know, and they state, that a tiny percentage will make it as footballers so you can see why so many have problems when they leave.

I get it's a ruthless industry and it has to be, but you'd think you could be that way when they're older.

I would suggest it also gives more to the argument that we are stopping the naturally gifted, free spirit type footballers you used to see.

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was a good watch.

Thought it was quite sad the way it is though. The level of detail they go into for 12-year-old's playing football was quite something, and hearing a coach (who all came across very well it should be said) shout 'distances' to a defender.

We know, and they state, that a tiny percentage will make it as footballers so you can see why so many have problems when they leave.

I get it's a ruthless industry and it has to be, but you'd think you could be that way when they're older.

I would suggest it also gives more to the argument that we are stopping the naturally gifted, free spirit type footballers you used to see.
100%. I was shocked at just how intense and structured it was for under 12.. These kids place so much pressure on themselves it’s a bit sad to see… the coaches and kids came across well though. Even if they did all seem to be motivated by physical things and not dreaming of scoring a winning goal at Wembley :(

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was a good watch.

But according to some on here 'the beautiful game has never been more beautiful '

Reaction score
I haven’t watched yet but my dad recommended it earlier today as a family friend’s 8-year-old lad is playing for an academy in the East of England. He’s training 3 evenings a week and doesn’t get home until 10 pm (they live around 45 mins away but still). Brutal at that age.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was a good watch.

Good post. Unbelievably intense. Perhaps not completely coincidental that the kids focussed on all come from loving but hardly prosperous families. That probably increases the pressure on them.

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My nearly 15 year old grandson has on only been in academy for 12 months. During that time he has has been selected for the Wales U15 team a number of times.
It's very cut throat. One of the problems is that the kids only compare themselves with their team mates not realising that for a professional contract they are actually in competition with the higher age groups.
He trains 3/4 nights a week and has one, sometimes 2, games a week but training is cancelled the day after a game. It can be very expensive as some parents have to bring their children miles.
Their games are recorded and analysed in detail.
To understand the true position I suggest you read The Dream Factory by Ryan Baldi.
I know of incidents where players who have been in an academy for 5/6 years have been let go by text which is appalling..
That said it makes the youngsters very focused and some clubs dislike them playing for their school.
The reality is that clubs concentrate on developing 3/4 players in each age group and use the rest to help them achieve that goal. If another club wished to sign it would have to pay a 25K fee rising to 40K shortly. This rises incrementally with each year you have been in an academy.

Last edited:

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought this was going to be a discussion thread for dreams we've had that are football related

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My nearly 15 year old grandson has on only been in academy for 12 months. During that time he has has been selected for the Wales U15 team a number of times.
It's very cut throat. One of the problems is that the kids only compare themselves with their team mates not realising that for a professional contract they are actually in competition with the higher age groups.
He trains 3/4 nights a week and has one, sometimes 2, games a week but training is cancelled the day after a game. It can be very expensive as some parents have to bring their children miles.
Their games are recorded and analysed in detail.
To understand the true position I suggest you read The Dream Factory by Ryan Baldi.
I know of incidents where players who have been in an academy for 5/6 years have been let go by text which is appalling..
That said it makes the youngsters very focused and some clubs dislike them playing for their school.
The reality is that clubs concentrate on developing 3/4 players in each age group and use the rest to help them achieve that goal. If another club wished to sign it would have to pay a 25K fee rising to 40K shortly. This rises incrementally with each year you have been in an academy.
Each player has access to a video showing the highs, and lows, of his performance. Some videos have sound so you soon recognise the natural leaders.

Back
Top Bottom