Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

First team ever to be top after 3 games and bottom with 3 to go?

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First team ever to be top after 3 games and bottom with 3 to go?

D

Dewsburywolf

Not sure of the actual stats but I do seem to remember Swansea in the late 70s being top of the division (First Division then Premier League equivalent) when John Toshack was in charge & they ended up being relegated at the end of the season. Different division but I also recall Millwall being top of the league (second tier) round about Christmas time but ending up being relegated. Might even have had Mick McCarthy involved (either manager at the time or replacing the incumbant one) in some way

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
were blackpool top, or close to top last season at one point early on ??

O

OCD Wolf

I think Carlisle United won their first three games one season in the 70s and ended up relegated (not sure about bottom though)
Also Charlton were top and went down one year in the 90s.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were we top after everyone played 3 games though??

B

Brandons gramps

read somewhere that we could be the 4th team to end up bottom of the Premiership on more than one occasion...

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be honest, we were only ever top because of the kick off times set by television.

After everyone had played 2 games, Manchester City were top with United second, us 3rd.
After everyone had played 3 games, we were 'only' 5th.

The last time we were genuinely top of the league was in 1962 (as far into the season as 11 games played by every team).

As already cited above, Charlton topped the table (after 2 games) during the 98/99 season and still went down. Forest were also (joint) top on opening day in 96/97 and dropped too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Carlisle United won their first three games one season in the 70s and ended up relegated (not sure about bottom though)
Also Charlton were top and went down one year in the 90s.

It was Carlisle in '74-'75. Remember it clearly.

They managed to beat us that year also

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you know that Wolverhampton Wanderers are the only club whose name contains 'olverhampton' to be relegated from the Premier League twice?

Back
Top Bottom