Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Experince Required

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone else think we may be a little exposed experience wise with the current expected starting 11?

We're all hoping that adaptation from a foreign league will be as smooth as possible for the influx of foreign lads. I would predict that some manage it, some won't. (Costa v Tiexera)

More of a concern could be the age of the squad. As long term prospects, buying 20 yr olds is exciting and probably good business but I wrote out a current best 11 earlier. Barely a player over 25. Average age around 23.

There's quite a bit of championship experience in the squad but most of us expect a few of those players to be on the fringes or not on the pitch.

So, as the general consensus seems to be we should get a striker. I'd love to see an older player to strike that balance

Glenn Murray
Darryl Murphy
Crouch
Nuno Gomes
Ruben Castro
Aritz Adruiz

*Apologies in advance to the internet police if this doesnt warrant a thread....feel free to not reply

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Said this on about 4 other threads now! DB and Bennett aren't up to it I'm afraid. We need the right person to gel all this foreign quality together.

W

we8wba

How do you determine experience though?

Personally we have enough experience in

Batth, Edwards, coady, Doherty,dicko etc

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nick Oliver Norwood from under Fulhams nose.

E

Essex Wolf

Depends on how you look at it. Some of the new signings have played in the champions league as Mighty Thor alludes to as well as at the top level in the country Wolves have just brought them from. Players like Edwards, Batth, Doherty, Hause, Dicko, Mason, Price, Marshall, Ruddy and I'm sure a few more have plenty of experience at this level.

D

Deleted member 4594

It's a bit of a cliche for me to say you need "championship experience." Same as having to have a "snotter" and players who "do it on a wet night at...."
As Thor says some of these lads have played champions league.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My original point is about football experience....not championship experience. Most of the list have mainly played outside the championship.

My point waa about age, guile and footballing wisdom.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its as though they've never played football before, champions league experience or championship experience, I know which type I would rather be throughout the team.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dave Edwards has experience. Does that make him a better option than Jota?

Jack Price has 100 games in this league? A better option than Neves?

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Edwards is 31. Ruddy is 30. Douglas and Bennett are 27. Then the likes of Batth and Boly are 26.

I think we have a very good balance of young and experienced. Let's not forget most these 'kids' we've signed over the last few months have Champions League experience, and experience playing for their respective countries, even if only at u21 it's still great experience.

We'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 4124

Ruddy (30 yrs, ~400 apps)
Bennett (27 yrs, ~350 apps)
Batth (26 yrs, ~200 apps)
Doherty (25 yrs, ~200 apps)
Edwards (31 yrs, ~500 apps)
Marshall (26 yrs, ~300 apps)

Hardly kids.

T

turner845

Some of these kids have played in the champions league. How's that for experience. Give me that over some plodder who has been in the championship for 10 years and achieved **** all.
Many players have champions league experience. It doesn't make them any good.

E

Essex Wolf

My original point is about football experience....not championship experience. Most of the list have mainly played outside the championship.

My point waa about age, guile and footballing wisdom.
Cheers for the update Paul but going by what you say I think Wolves still have plenty. If you exclude the players we all know have plenty of the experience you talk of which will include Bennett and Ruddy and just concentrate on the new faces from overseas then Jota has 68 games under his belt besides 20 at various international levels, Neves has 59 plus 26 at various international levels above the U18 bracket, Boly has 126 games under his belt and that's not including 43 games playing for B teams at Auxeere and Braga, Douglas has over 200 games and of which 92 were playing at a better level than the championship. Miranda has over a 100 games played not including his time with the Benfica B team again many at a better level than the championship.

I haven't included Ofuso-Ayeh as he's injured, Will Norris as he has only ever played at lower league level nor Ruben Vinagre as he is very young player with little if any experience at much any level. So in a nutshell of Wolves 10 new signings only 3 really lack the experience you seem to be meaning. Apogies if I've misunderstood you.

D

Deleted member 5635

In the words of Kevin thelwell "grant holt has had a load of clubs" and experience.

Doesn't make them any good though.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you determine experience though?

Personally we have enough experience in

Batth, Edwards, coady, Doherty,dicko etc
And thereth endeths that debate.

E

Essex Wolf

Young players can also at times make a breakthrough into the 1st team and be a real revelation. I recall watching Robbie Keane's debut at Norwich and he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. Anyone remember Rooney's debut? Not saying it's the case every time but experience whilst important overall when mixed in with some talent can pay dividends.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Within about three months we should have an idea, I do keep thinking about how excited I was about the Texiera signing how that turned out, how well Prince did, Saiss to a degree. It's a bit early to be claiming bloody victory before a ball is kicked in anger. I'm hoping for a great season but there is the nagging doubt of realism sitting on my shoulder.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruddy (30 yrs, ~400 apps)
Bennett (27 yrs, ~350 apps)
Batth (26 yrs, ~200 apps)
Doherty (25 yrs, ~200 apps)
Edwards (31 yrs, ~500 apps)
Marshall (26 yrs, ~300 apps)

Hardly kids.

True and at times I've seen all of them slagged off on here to varying degrees, Bennett has escaped criticism thus far but his time will come. Fascinating that one of the standouts so far is Price who many fans would get rid of in a flash.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of curiosity. How do you know Bennett isn't upto anything. Surely we need to give him some game time.
I don't tbh! I suppose I'm more thinking of an Ince/Rae/Ricketts type character who you just know will come in and do a job, perhaps for 1 season, and get us promoted. John Terry could have done it.

W

wolfofwolvesstreet

The so-called kids (with champions league and international experience) will likely know and adapt to the new style of play and philosophy better and quicker than Batth, Edwards or experienced championship journeymen etc.

We wont have many 'kids' in our starting eleven and Neves and Jota are experienced 'wonderkids', pretty much of the highest level seen in the Championship. Miranda, Boly, Douglas, Ruddy, Saiss etc. all have plenty of experience under their belt.

We're not doing this the conventional way at all. Our resources and recruitment methods are different to what's gone before. And I don't think the conventional wisdom about snotters, hardened championship experienced warriors, British core etc applies any more. If anything getting that type of player in might be disruptive.

I might be wrong of course but I think we need to have an open mind and trust in Nuno. We are are so far down the line of revolution now we might as well embrace it.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
a proper goal scoring number nine would be the icing on the cake!

Monswolf

Reaction score
I thinks it's important to realize that the likes of Neves,Boly and now Jota would not be amis in top 10 premier team that's how much of a coo they are to have them im our team in the champ then throw in the likes of Miranda Douglas who would walk into most mid to low prem teams and your beginning to get a picture these players are not looking for one last hurrah or one last pay day with I'll give you a good 12 months in the hope you go up. They are players in their prime or conning into their prime they are skillful intelligent players who are here to further their careers and the best way for them to do that is to play well

Throw in the likes of Costa Marshal Cav and Graham and this squad is befginong to look scarey. I can't say much about the young left back but he must have a little bit about him for him to be so highly rated

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That said..........I would take Glenn murray up front if available, no just because he is experienced but because I think he would score us 20 goals this season

Back
Top Bottom