Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

R

reanswolf

What do people think about Wolves Women being able to use Molineux? Is it a no no because of the pitch?

Reaction score
What do people think about Wolves Women being able to use Molineux? Is it a no no because of the pitch?
I think the bigger issue would be the size of the crowd they attract, they average a couple of hundred people so not really viable at present. There might also be a problem with kick off times, Women's games outside the WPL generally kick off at 2.00pm on a Sunday so ideally you need a ground you know will be available at that time and not threatened by changes to Sky's schedule. I can see the odd game being staged at Molineux but I think the move to Telford is the right one at present.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No more Bend It Like Beckham. Women have their own successful heroes now & that helps remove a level of difficulty in the way of attaining their football dreams & aspirations.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think long term Wolves’ plan might be to have a purpose built stadium at Compton for the Wolves Women, plus the academy. Like what Man City have.
That really would be the ideal solution. Now would be the ideal opportunity to seek investment partners who could make this happen sooner. Unfortunately the failure to get promoted to the second tier of women's football may have made attracting such an interest more difficult and Jeff has been very clear that his vision of the women's team is more around building community football than promoting a semi-pro team.

Reaction score
I think long term Wolves’ plan might be to have a purpose built stadium at Compton for the Wolves Women, plus the academy. Like what Man City have.
Can't see that myself, WSL's ambition is to raise average attendance at WSL games to 6000, its a bit pie in the sky at the moment as none of the sides get anything close to that, but if thats the aim and Wolves Ladies are to be part of that it would mean a 6000/8000? capacity stadium, getting that many people in and out of the Compton site is a non starter.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
They play their league games on Sundays at 2pm and last season averaged about 200 attendance hopefully we’ll see an increase this season but whether that’s enough to justify molineux?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the second time on this thread - stick to football, and keep this other stuff to the politics etc forum.
I wasn't the one who asked if a state-funded institution was better than a ruthless Capitalist one, I merely answered the question.
The alternative was to ignore Eastyorksyeltz, which would have been impolite.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I wasn't the one who asked if a state-funded broadcaster was better than a ruthless Capitalist one, I merely answered the question. The only other alternative was to ignore Eastyorksyeltz, which would have been impolite.
You'd already been told once when you tried to introduce other political stuff. You could have moved the discussion to the BBC thread.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I watched the England games because the media told me to did i? What a load of ****ing *******s.
The media can't "make" you do anything, nor did I make even the merest suggestion that they could.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd already been told once when you tried to introduce other political stuff. You could have moved the discussion to the BBC thread.
Come on. The Ukraine comment wasn't even a sentence long, it was one clause in one sentence. Totally throwaway - there has to be some tolerance for politics on this forum?

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
I didn’t watch any the tournament but I’ve read that there is much less falling over and histrionics than the equivalent mens game.

This would be a good thing, and hopefully it should rub off on the mens game, which can be ridiculous.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see that myself, WSL's ambition is to raise average attendance at WSL games to 6000, its a bit pie in the sky at the moment as none of the sides get anything close to that, but if thats the aim and Wolves Ladies are to be part of that it would mean a 6000/8000? capacity stadium, getting that many people in and out of the Compton site is a non starter.
Perhaps not Compton, but somewhere within the city limits.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Come on. The Ukraine comment wasn't even a sentence long, it was one clause in one sentence. Totally throwaway - there has to be some tolerance for politics on this forum?
Nope. Not when one post inevitably leads to more along those lines.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fine by me, predictably! Maybe the big games as they did last season once. Same for age teams, for special occasions.
Edit. The aim must be somewhere they call their own though. Jeff has put money in to Wolves Women, they also now have full use of Compton along with first team and the rest.

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Interestingly, the WSL announced this morning that season ticket sales at many clubs have increased 200% from last season just based on sales on Monday (day after England's victory). It'll be interesting to see the attendances at the beginning of the WSL season which starts on September 10th and whether the crowds will be sustained throughout the season. I imagine there might be some drop off as the season goes on but overall attendances will massively improve this season.

R

reanswolf

I wasn't the one who asked if a state-funded institution was better than a ruthless Capitalist one, I merely answered the question.
The alternative was to ignore Eastyorksyeltz, which would have been impolite.
Mate you won’t win because the mods aren’t neutral. That’s not a criticism, we are all loaded with our respective biases.

R

reanswolf

Interestingly, the WSL announced this morning that season ticket sales at many clubs have increased 200% from last season just based on sales on Monday (day after England's victory). It'll be interesting to see the attendances at the beginning of the WSL season which starts on September 10th and whether the crowds will be sustained throughout the season. I imagine there might be some drop off as the season goes on but overall attendances will massively improve this season.
I agree, I think it is very important to grab the bull by the horns. Whilst the iron is hot. Now is the time to support Wolves Women

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they should be able to if the crowds get to a level that makes using Molineux feasible and scheduling of fixtures doesn't cause any issues, (not there yet). The other part of this is off the back of the current upsurge of interest in the Women's game should Fosun/Wolves revisit their decision not to provide much in the way of any additional funding to the Woman's team. If Fosun want to grow the overall Wolves "Brand" then they should be looking to include the Women's team in that, whilst the costs of doing so are still relatively low

R

reanswolf

I think they should be able to if the crowds get to a level that makes using Molineux feasible and scheduling of fixtures doesn't cause any issues, (not there yet). The other part of this is off the back of the current upsurge of interest in the Women's game should Fosun/Wolves revisit their decision not to provide much in the way of any additional funding to the Woman's team. If Fosun want to grow the overall Wolves "Brand" then they should be looking to include the Women's team in that, whilst the costs of doing so are still relatively low
Totally agree.

Cmon Jeff fund the ladies properly!

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That would be excellent. Nothing against Telford but Wolves Women need to be Wolves really, I would say, if this evolving is to maximise the potential
I agree. We need girls to have local role models and be able to easily access the club as spectators as well as potential players. To dream of putting on an old gold shirt, rather than a red one.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy to be corrected but I thought they had increased funding, one of the reasons they had such a brilliant league season?

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Mate you won’t win because the mods aren’t neutral. That’s not a criticism, we are all loaded with our respective biases.
Of course its a criticism. And not wanting politics on the football forum is a consistent stance and part of the way the whole forum is set up. There's a specific section for politics, news, and current affairs to keep it away from football matters. This is known, but its also too often ignored.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy to be corrected but I thought they had increased funding, one of the reasons they had such a brilliant league season?
you may be right I can't remember all the detail, seem to remember it was fairly limited or that they weren't making big changes

R

reanswolf

Of course its a criticism. And not wanting politics on the football forum is a consistent stance and part of the way the whole forum is set up. There's a specific section for politics, news, and current affairs to keep it away from football matters. This is known, but its also too often ignored.
Mutchy I’m sorry you are not vaguely neutral, you have deleted comments that you don’t like because they don’t suit your view.

I know your role as mod is voluntary and thankless, and I know I will get flamed for questioning you, but I will never believe you are neutral just as I wouldn’t be.it’s not a personal criticism and I can’t help it if you take it that way.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mate, the FA banned womens football for 50 years because they didn’t think football was an appropriate game for women. Before it was banned, it was very popular. Since the ban was lifted, it was shunned and belittled by the football establishment for years. I think it’s damned fair that it’s been heavily pushed in recent years. It has a lot of catching up to do through no fault of its own.

As for the success of the lionesses last night. I’ve never been a major follower of the womens game, but stuff me, they deserved it in this tournament and it brought a tear to my eye when they lifted the trophy. That team celebrated in a genuine and passionate way which seems increasingly hard to find at the highest levels of the mens game. **** the Germans. **** those who put the womens game down. They showed the England mens team just how bloody pathetic they’ve been for 56 years.
I'm well aware of the FA women's ban; there were some obviously outmoded attitudes to pretty much everything in the 1920s. As for its popularity at that point... might have just had a teeny amount to do with a staggering percentage of Englishmen being dead, maimed, psychologically destroyed or with otherwise no inclination to kick a pigskin around some grass. I am also aware of a certain terrible practice outside of Football against a certain group of people a while further back, that I guess I am not allowed to mention explicitly lest I be cleaved by the sword of Damocles, but I think you should be able to connect the dots.

You might balk at this comparison in degree, but in kind the principle that a fresh wrong cannot amend for a historical one, still applies. I'm frankly done with people who live in the past. So, just as I do not believe in rrrr... compensation for the people I mentioned, I do not believe in principle that the BBC should take what is analogously taxpayer money for what is arguably social justice activism. In this case, artificially inflating coverage of a particular competition out of some internalised quest to (over?)compensate for the impact of historically outmoded attitudes.
-Positive discrimination is still discrimination. Particularly when the SPL and EFL are the ones who are consistently pushed down the pecking order on the BBC website: an organisation that have built a famously competitive, exciting and globally-admired product, through decades of diligence and savvy by innumerous individuals.

Secondly, the FA ban against women doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for half a century. That's a looong time to not build a competition that draws in better average crowds than AFC Telford. I don't think that's because 'the man' kept women down for so long. Have you not considered the average woman just might not be 'into' Football as much as the average man? That is certainly my anecdotal experience from pretty much every woman I've ever known, and I'm sure many others on here would agree. You say they were "shunned" - I'm not sure what this means. There has been absolutely no bodily or market force preventing women's Football from acquiring funding or from fans attending women's games this past 50 years, particularly right now in the era of social media where viral advertising is effectively free.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t even try this rational mate, they will slaughter you.
You were certainly bang on the money with this comment from yesterday, mate. I've offered mostly glowing praise for the ladies, criticised a fundamentally different concept entirely, and taken plenty of stick. Follow the script to the letter or shut up next time, I guess.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, just as I do not believe in rrrr... compensation for the people I mentioned, I do not believe in principle that the BBC should take what is analogously taxpayer money for what is arguably social justice activism.

17m people watched (at the peak, I know), so it's clearly something that the taxpayer was interested in.

It looks like the BBC is going to be covering Lawn Bowls at the Commonwealth Games today - something I have no interest in, but I don't accuse them of pandering to any particular demographic or pushing any agenda when they do so.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
17m people watched (at the peak, I know), so it's clearly something that the taxpayer was interested in.

It looks like the BBC is going to be covering Lawn Bowls at the Commonwealth Games today - something I have no interest in, but I don't accuse them of pandering to any particular demographic or pushing any agenda when they do so.
Some folk on here just sit waiting to be triggered and off they go on some multi paragraph rant.

Usually anything female, race or LGBT+ related (and the BBC, obvs)

Typical script being,

"I'm all for [...... ] but [insert a thousand character rant against...... ]"

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some folk on here just sit waiting to be triggered and off they go on some multi paragraph rant. Usually anything female, race or LGBT+ related (and the BBC, obvs) Typical script being, "I'm all for [...... ] but [insert a thousand character rant against...... ]"
And some folk love to read into someone's words something that isn't there, just so they can get to call that person an istophobe and embrace the ensuing dopamine rush of moral superiority.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Mutchy I’m sorry you are not vaguely neutral, you have deleted comments that you don’t like because they don’t suit your view.

I know your role as mod is voluntary and thankless, and I know I will get flamed for questioning you, but I will never believe you are neutral just as I wouldn’t be.it’s not a personal criticism and I can’t help it if you take it that way.
There is no bias in moderating to keep politics off the football forum. Thats simple forum policy.
And funnily enough I'm accused of moderating for negative views by a faction of posters who want to be allowed to troll those, and for positive views by those who want to do the opposite. Its a bundle of laughs.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
17m people watched (at the peak, I know), so it's clearly something that the taxpayer was interested in. It looks like the BBC is going to be covering Lawn Bowls at the Commonwealth Games today - something I have no interest in, but I don't accuse them of pandering to any particular demographic or pushing any agenda when they do so.
Well, I'd say we've rather played out the 17m /11m viewership conversation, and why we disagree on why that might be. I've also said that the BBC should cover women's Football, so I don't know what the point of your bowls comment is. If the BBC director's personal proclivity became that we need to really push Lawn Bowls at the expense of more organically popular sports, then I'd have a problem. That's my whole argument, one which I sadly believe has gone into your left ear and straight out the right.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to continue making the point but, honestly, I can't be bothered with them. Maybe a litigator could??
I just caught this pearler of a comment. A litigator, seriously? Are you saying the opinions proferred by myself and others are, or should be, illegal?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And again - take discussions on the BBC to this thread please https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bbc.211877/
:confused: But the whole branch of this conversation is about the BBC's coverage of women's Football! We can't discuss that without mentioning the BBC, can we?

If you don't want me to participate any further and leave this thread for celebrations, just say - don't do this flimsy justification about politics, which over the course of a detailed discussion with numerous people, I've kept to virtually nil. I'll just say "well done once again ladies" and bow out, if that's what you want?

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly the absolute *******s that gets spouted.

The tournament was very popular, not because of the BBC trying mind tricks or SSN trying to fill its 24 hours of dull nonsense with some coverage.

It was popular because:

In this country lots of people love football.
Lots of people love a tournament.
The standard was good.
The players cared (and were probably more relatable than a player earning 250k a week helped).
People like to see England do well.

I really couldn’t give a **** it was played by people who don’t have a penis.

I will watch the future tournaments (I watched a couple of Englands games in 2019 on holiday Majorca, still annoyed Ellen Whites goal against USA was ruled out by VAR) and will take more of an interest in the WSL.

My main hope is that if I have a grandchild in the next 10 years and it happens to be a girl I will get to watch her play football like I have my son for the last 15 years, if she wants to of course.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
:confused: But the whole branch of this conversation is about the BBC's coverage of women's Football! We can't discuss that without mentioning the BBC, can we?

If you don't want me to participate any further and leave this thread for celebrations, just say - don't do this flimsy justification about politics, which over the course of a detailed discussion with numerous people, I've kept to virtually nil. I'll just say "well done once again ladies" and bow out, if that's what you want?
The thread is about football. You have a thread for the BBC elsewhere. This direction does not equate to only being able to say 'well done ladies', so don't try to imply that it does.

Back
Top Bottom