Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England v Ireland 1995

• Thread starter Deleted member 7862Bler
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7862Bler

As England are playing Ireland tonight,I was thinking of the game in 1995 when David Kelly scored but the goal was expunged from the records as the game was abandoned.

This was the first away game I had been to with England. Anyone else remember this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
As England are playing Ireland tonight,I was thinking of the game in 1995 when David Connolly scored but the goal was expunged from the records as the game was abandoned.

This was the first away game I had been to with England. Anyone else remember this?

It was Ned Kelly who scored, not Connolly.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
As England are playing Ireland tonight,I was thinking of the game in 1995 when David Kelly scored but the goal was expunged from the records as the game was abandoned.

Yh i was there sure Kelly got stick after fur scoring against England

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember the day after the paper ran pictures with a title something along the lines of let’s catch these hooligans.

Right on the front page was a big ginger lad with a plank of wood in his hand who was a complete spit for a guy a few years above us in school. Can’t remember what his name was, but he got **** for days after.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Incredible to think it was 25 years ago. Wow doesn’t time fly. Despite mass scale organised disorder by England fans abroad being largely a thing of the past ( thank goodness), the reputation still seems to have stuck a bit.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In fairness it’s hard to forget a game that was abandoned because of a riot.

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
No mention that they didn't play our national anthem before the match.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

marked the beginning of Combat 18 and the Chelsea Headhunters in terns of public awareness

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
marked the beginning of Combat 18 and the Chelsea Headhunters in terns of public awareness
I have a book somewhere about football violence, and in the section about this game is the claim from someone who was involved in it.
He claims, and doesn't shy away from such, membership in the bnp and that this game was targeted for trouble nd to get it abandoned as a political statement, that c18 and others were organised and there was the suspicion that a blind eye was provided by the authorities in order for the main players to get there and the trouble to start.

D

Deleted member 11157

I remember it well, more so for Big Jack being rather angry. The cowards throwing stuff down from the top tier. In the end the Garda were protecting these imbeciles. Twenty five years ago doesnt time fly.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I remember it well, more so for Big Jack being rather angry. The cowards throwing stuff down from the top tier. In the end the Garda were protecting these imbeciles. Twenty five years ago doesnt time fly.
I was in the lower tier and the England fans in top tier were chucking 6 foot long benches down at the England fans in lower tier. David Platt was captain I think and he came over to try and calm things down but they just threw stuff at him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the lower tier and the England fans in top tier were chucking 6 foot long benches down at the England fans in lower tier. David Platt was captain I think and he came over to try and calm things down but they just threw stuff at him.
'England fans' my **** if that is how they were behaving.

There are those who might almost wish that some of the so-called hardmen had got to meet the real boyos, which is what the Garda were almost certainly trying to avoid. Minus their kneecaps it would be clear just how really hard they were....

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having thought about my last post while l was in the shower l realised that l needed to post an explanation. It could be taken as implying that l was sympathetic to certain groups. The reality, as a few people on here will know from what they've picked up due to their own background about my career, couldn't be further from that.

Dublin is a beautiful and normally welcoming city. However, it has a very dark and nasty underside as anyone who has watched any of the numerous Irish police reality shows on the box will know. I first came across that in the GPO in Dublin as a youngish teenager during the Maze H-block hunger strikes. I got the dogs own abuse, just because of my accent, from a guy who the teller warned my mum was IRA. It was only her, in her broadest Dublin accent (channelling her inner Mrs Brown - she is from just outside the city originally), telling him to **** off that got us out of that situation. Frankly loud-mouthed idiotic English guys spouting political *******s are likely to encounter that dark side sooner than they'd hope.

I have precious little sympathy for know-nothing xenophobic idiots blundering into hundreds of years worth of political grief between UK (in reality mostly England) and Ireland as if it's no different to Wolves 'taking' Stoke. The reality is that if it had got ugly the blokes they could have been facing might well have had AKs, ARs or Brownings. It wouldn't have been someone 'getting a spank' but serious injury or even death. The Garda did a damn good job protecting idiots who probably hadn't got a clue what they might have been getting into.

Last edited:

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredible to think it was 25 years ago. Wow doesn’t time fly. Despite mass scale organised disorder by England fans abroad being largely a thing of the past ( thank goodness), the reputation still seems to have stuck a bit.

I remember when England came to New Zealand for a few games in 1990 (I think it was) there was so much hype proceeding them about the fans.

I went along to the Game in Wellington : England brought quite a following and they all stood behind the goal England were attacking in the first half then in the second half they walked walked around the ground to get to the stand behind the goal at the other end and they were goading the kiwi fans as they went :) Of course nothing came of it because kiwi sports fans are totally gentrified.

For us it was more being at the zoo and watching a real life episode of Desmond Morris's book "The Naked Ape". In fact the England fans were more interesting than the game itself :D

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when England came to New Zealand for a few games in 1990 (I think it was) there was so much hype proceeding them about the fans.

I went along to the Game in Wellington : England brought quite a following and they all stood behind the goal England were attacking in the first half then in the second half they walked walked around the ground to get to the stand behind the goal at the other end and they were goading the kiwi fans as they went :) Of course nothing came of it because kiwi sports fans are totally gentrified.

For us it was more being at the zoo and watching a real life episode of Desmond Morris's book "The Naked Ape". In fact the England fans were more interesting than the game itself :D
The "missing link" huh....

Back
Top Bottom