Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Emiliano Sala

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read that there’s a small island 1.5 miles off the Alderney coast called Burhou. Apparently there were flares being fired from it yesterday.
It will be great if it's true... Sadly seemed to smack of hope over reality...

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With only one pilot, what happens if that person suddenly falls ill? It’s not inconceivable that a middle-aged man could have a heart attack in a stressful situation - which leaves the aircraft and passenger doomed. It doesn’t bear thinking about. So why only one pilot?

The whole event is tragic and heart-breaking on so many levels. Poor souls, may they rest in peace.

This happened a few years ago - I think it was in Humberside. A pilot was taking his friend up, the pilot suffered a heart attack and died at the yoke. Amazingly, despite never having flown a plane before the passenger was talked through and managed to land the plane.

W

WasStefan

RIP Sala.
Just a terrible accident.
Playing the blame game will not help anybody.
Sincere condolences to families involved as well as to Cardiff and their fans.
His family will soon (if not already) want answers. I would be sick to the stomach

W

WasStefan

Just read that there’s a small island 1.5 miles off the Alderney coast called Burhou. Apparently there were flares being fired from it yesterday.
Surely this would have been checked soon after? Fingers crossed

W

WasStefan

This happened a few years ago - I think it was in Humberside. A pilot was taking his friend up, the pilot suffered a heart attack and died at the yoke. Amazingly, despite never having flown a plane before the passenger was talked through and managed to land the plane.
It can be done. But given conditions/ being over water any amateur pilot taking over the controls one incorrect movement could stall the engine. We may never know what happened. Very sad

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely this would have been checked soon after? Fingers crossed

I don’t know. It’s a world heritage site, people aren’t allowed there for 6 months of the year due to the bird colonies that live there. Also I read that’s it’s quite tricky place to access at the best of times. I would imagine the theory is the plane crashed into the sea and they got in the life raft and drifted there.

W

WasStefan

I don’t know. It’s a world heritage site, people aren’t allowed there for 6 months of the year due to the bird colonies that live there. Also I read that’s it’s quite tricky place to access at the best of times. I would imagine the theory is the plane crashed into the sea and they got in the life raft and drifted there.
Just seen the pictures. They look like flares but the picture was takin in Hove? Not sure there is any way you would see flare signals like that 100 miles away?

W

we8wba

The apperent flares picture actually look like the fumes from the plane coming down

Even if he was on Burhou which non human habitable island and protected land, many life boats and planes have been around the island which you’d imagine they’d spot him on the coast line

False hope far as I’m concerned and I hope I’m wrong, generally with these things you find them within hours or not at all :-(

D

Deleted member 4023

From the Guardian - not sure of accuracy - but will post anyway:
David Ibbotson, the pilot who is missing along with Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala after the plane they were travelling in went missing, said in the days before the flight that he was “rusty” after flying to France at the weekend.
Mr Ibbotson, 60, wrote on his Facebook page on Monday that he had felt a “bit rusty” on the flight over to Nantes, and that he had struggled to get to grips with the Instrument Landing System (ILS) on the Piper PA-46 Malibu aircraft that disappeared on the return flight to Cardiff on Monday night.
Having tagged himself at Nantes Airport, where he and Sala departed from, Mr Ibbotson wrote in a comment to a friend: “Was not to (sic) bad when I got there but I’m a bit rusty with the ILS, in France now, I’ll pop and see you when I get back, your turn to buy coffee.”

The friend responded ‘rusty with the ILS?! I can’t believe that!” before Mr Ibbotson commented again to say: “You wanna bet, a little on the high side hehe, better than on the low side.”
Search parties resumed looking for the pair on Thursday after three days of unsuccessful attempts to find any trace of the aircraft, which disappeared from radar at around 8:20pm on Monday night while flying at 2,300ft.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen the pictures. They look like flares but the picture was takin in Hove? Not sure there is any way you would see flare signals like that 100 miles away?

At sea level the horizon is 3 miles away. If you climb a ladder to 100 feet, it is 12 miles away.

Also, if the pilot flew an ILS approach to Nantes he had a current Instrument Rating.

W

WasStefan

At sea level the horizon is 3 miles away. If you climb a ladder to 100 feet, it is 12 miles away.

Also, if the pilot flew an ILS approach to Nantes he had a current Instrument Rating.
No chance then

W

WasStefan

From the Guardian - not sure of accuracy - but will post anyway:
David Ibbotson, the pilot who is missing along with Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala after the plane they were travelling in went missing, said in the days before the flight that he was “rusty” after flying to France at the weekend.
Mr Ibbotson, 60, wrote on his Facebook page on Monday that he had felt a “bit rusty” on the flight over to Nantes, and that he had struggled to get to grips with the Instrument Landing System (ILS) on the Piper PA-46 Malibu aircraft that disappeared on the return flight to Cardiff on Monday night.
Having tagged himself at Nantes Airport, where he and Sala departed from, Mr Ibbotson wrote in a comment to a friend: “Was not to (sic) bad when I got there but I’m a bit rusty with the ILS, in France now, I’ll pop and see you when I get back, your turn to buy coffee.”

The friend responded ‘rusty with the ILS?! I can’t believe that!” before Mr Ibbotson commented again to say: “You wanna bet, a little on the high side hehe, better than on the low side.”
Search parties resumed looking for the pair on Thursday after three days of unsuccessful attempts to find any trace of the aircraft, which disappeared from radar at around 8:20pm on Monday night while flying at 2,300ft.
ILS would have nothing to do with crashing mid-flight?

I have read that the plane had no black box. It is so strange this plane was chartered. No need for such risk (i know the risk is tiny any way, but factor in 1 engine, 1 pilot, over sea at night etc)

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ILS is irrelevant, yes. But the fact that pilot was instrument rated is not. It makes disorientation less likely ( but not impossible)

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I didn’t realise they were taken from Hove. I very much doubt you’d see flares over such a distance.

justfriggin

Reaction score
The Humberside landing was a close run thing. Quite an Old Passenger had to sit next to his dead mate. Kept the plane in the air till an instructor had driven to the airport to assist. I believe a lady piloting a Police Chopper stayed in close attendance at a safe distance. Cracking a few jokes together. Due to height/speed approach difficulties he made two abortive attempts Finally, running low on fuel he made one last attempt through the fog and mist. Got it down veered of onto the central reservation and eventually stopped.

Neves wolf

Reaction score
I don't get why they are giving up so soon. That jumbo jet that disappeared a couple of years ago they were searching for that for months and yet they can't search more than 3 days for this plane. Rip to sala and his pilot.

D

Deleted member 4023

Because it went off radar so quickly - possibly ice on the wings - the fact that the seas were so rough, would make ditching a small plane like that almost impossible. Terrible tragedy that should never have happened.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all knew the chances of them being found were slim but this is still terrible news. RIP

I hope Cardiff can stay up personally. What an awful thing to happen.

D

Deleted member 5242

Have I missed our official Wolves social media team's comments on the matter?

condolences etc?

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
So so sad:( RIP Emiliano Sala, god bless your soul.

The fact that this has happened so soon after Vichai's death makes it all the more upsetting.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been away without internet access for a few days so just getting back up to speed with events. Incredible story and so sad. Looks like both Sala and the pilot have lost their lives. RIP both.

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

condolences etc?
Maybe it's been handed into them by person or by post, Not everything needs to be aired via social media and in full view of the public.
I presume they are awaiting formal confirmation before putting out a tweet that will put all minds at rest and confirm that the media department and wolves aren't massive chunts.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

condolences etc?
maybe they will, perhaps they won't comment until things have been confirmed rather than issuing an RIP while the search was still going on

D

Deleted member 5242

maybe they will, perhaps they won't comment until things have been confirmed rather than issuing an RIP while the search was still going on

Just an analogy I noticed when looking for updates that many other clubs have sent their thoughts and prayers. I would have thought our social media team would have represented our club with a similar compassionate message

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just an analogy I noticed when looking for updates that many other clubs have sent their thoughts and prayers. I would have thought our social media team would have represented our club with a similar compassionate message
they have, but waited for the official announcement from Cardiff

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC shared a post.
1 hr ·
Our thoughts are with the loved ones of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson and everyone affected by this tragic news.

Cardiff City Football Club
1 hr ·

At this time of immeasurable sadness, our thoughts are with the family and friends of both men on board, the fans of both FC Nantes, Cardiff City, and their connections around the world.

#CityAsOne

D

Deleted member 5242

they have, but waited for the official announcement from Cardiff

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC shared a post.
1 hr ·
Our thoughts are with the loved ones of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson and everyone affected by this tragic news.

Cardiff City Football Club
1 hr ·

At this time of immeasurable sadness, our thoughts are with the family and friends of both men on board, the fans of both FC Nantes, Cardiff City, and their connections around the world.

#CityAsOne

Good stuff cheers

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Awful tragedy but I don't believe you can really make any kind of exception for Cardiff because of the situation..

Had it been any current squad player on a flight it would have been just as massive a loss.....nothing would be allowed to happen.

Back
Top Bottom