Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dougie Freedman - Playoffs

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously, in relation to the weekend's result, I was watching some of our previous visits to Selhurst Park.

One of my earliest memories as a Wolves fan was the 1997 playoffs. What I never realised was that Dougie Freedman was red carded in Palace's final league game of that season.

What I was wondering, is if anyone knew why he wasn't suspended for the game against us?

As we know, he then went on to score 2 decisive goals in the first leg, but was unable to play in the final because of said sending off.

What sort of rule is that?

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't suspensions usually take longer before they kicked in back then (rather than the next game)? Might've been an administrative thing, or to do with appeals.
They did ... sometimes weeks, iirc.

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, don't think red cards applied to the very next match and often wouldn't kick in until the 2nd/3rd game after the offence.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
It used to be that suspensions kicked in 14 days after the offence , longer if there was an appeal and longer still if the said player wanted a personal appearance to plead his case.Palace would have known the system and utilised it to their best advantage.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just found a reference to it in a match report from the Independent...

'The frustrations Freedman has felt came to a head in the final game of the season against Port Vale last week, when he was sent off after punching an opponent. For a player who usually gives the impression that he does not relish the physical side of the game, it was a rare moment of aggression.

That irresponsible dismissal would see Freedman suspended if Palace reach the play-off final and it could yet prove the most decisive moment in their season
'

Sent off for violent conduct and plays the very next game. Ridiculous rule.

wolvesinwales

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember a time when Cardiff had a player sent off leading up to a play off game, possibly even the final, but they appealed and the appeal was heard by the Welsh FA who overturned the red card !

wolvesinwales

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never liked Palace since Pardew was there and we won something like 3. 1 but he reckoned they were the better team. I'm one to bear a grudge.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom