Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Do wolves need to raise money for transfers?

Neves wolf

Reaction score
Personally think this is a load of rubbish, but I saw in the metro today that liverpool, Man City and Barcelona are after Traore as wolves are prepared to let him go with bids In access of 70 million, as Nuno has been told he needs to raise funds for transfers. I really can’t see it myself.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not what Jeff said, I don't think it's true, no journalists would have been given that info.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm sure Nuno's been told the budget for the summer and if he wants to spend more than that he'll likely need to lose a player and that seems reasonable to me. I'm sure Fosun are also flexible with the budget if a great player becomes available cheaply say but they're not going to pump in unlimited resources either and nor should they.

On players possibly leaving, there are very few teams who won't sell a player if the price is high enough and if they feel they can strengthen the squad overall that way. Worth checking out Sevilla's transfers in and out last season. They sold over half their first team squad bringing in around120m and spent around 160m on a new team. They lost some great players but overall they strengthened. I wouldn't like to see Traore leave given he's a unique player but, if the offer is high enough, we shouldn't fear selling him or anyone else for that matter and re-investing to strengthen overall.

That said, if we do sell a big name, it will put added focus and imperative on smart and savvy recruiting. Sevilla have Monchi as their Sporting Director while Wolves are reliant on Shi and Mendes here. I'd have liked to have seen Wolves bring in a Sporting Director after Thelwell left but Shi is obviously confident with the current set-up so we'll have to keep our fingers crossed here.

Last edited:

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we probably have a budget of around £50m with the Cav & Costa money plus profits from the Europa League. It's just that may not be enough for the 3 or 4 first team starters that Nuno wants. Nuno made the comments after the Europa match the other day that the team "was the same as the first season", what else did he say, something like "we need more players to help us become stronger"

I don't think that means rip the team up and start again, but we need more strength in depth that's for sure.

I think he wanted three players, but Jonny's injury has pushed that out to four players, with one or two under 23's for the development team.

We have all said what is needed

Striker
Centre Back
Central Midfield
Left Back (now)

If we get Maitland-Niles foe £20m, that barely leaves £30m left out what I believe is the budget - maybe that is why we are hearing of bids of £3.6m for Nelson Oliveira? Reasonable back-up for Raul to come off the bench, but not good enough to replace him.

If we sell Adama for £70m that really does make a bit of a difference to the budget. With many clubs struggling we could be in a situation where we pick up Maitland-Niles and still have £100m to spend - that is insane.

It's possible that with that you could get Guedes from Valencia and Dias - giving both Podence and Neto more game time.

I don't think we have to sell, but we want to freshen up the 1st team.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't do some good business insofar as we've got this far, why stop now? You strengthen every year or else you go backwards. If we do sign 3/4 quality additions, we will deffo be top 10 or above. If not... Could be a long season.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t we also renew the Macquarrie facility that advances £50m of the sky money - so that goes into the transfer kitty too?

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant see it been as low as 50m. Isn't that baggies rumoured budget. Lol

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF we need to sell players like Traore,we will end up as the new version of Soton.
Best case scenario if selling our best players is a slow decline in the results on the pitch.
That is practically carved in stone.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think this is a load of rubbish, but I saw in the metro today that liverpool, Man City and Barcelona are after Traore as wolves are prepared to let him go with bids In access of 70 million, as Nuno has been told he needs to raise funds for transfers. I really can’t see it myself.
Yes and no. We have the capacity to go big this season without selling, we would probably be dipping into permitted FFP losses - like an overdraft. But at some point (and this is the 'beauty' of FFP if you're a member of the established elite), we will have to pay it back and the way we do that is to cash in on a player or two to keep the investment going - or get into the CL.

They do word it as if we need to sell. According to Sky we needed to sell Traore to be able to go for Ocampos, I think the truth to that is we're only going in for Ocampos if anyone stumps up big money for Traore

We will need to cash in on some of our star players at some point though, as long as we're the challengers trying to climb into the CL it's inevitable that we'll have to sell some to fund more investment. Gone are the days when the owner could just sign cheques for fun

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do so many think we will struggle badly if we don't make 3/4 big signings? Haven't we shown enough evidence that we can go toe to toe with anyone? Around Christmas time we were arguably the 2nd best team in the league.

Ok, we need new signings to progress towards the top 4 but going into the season with the same team doesn't mean we will suddenly be in a relegation scrap

D

Deleted member 3545

Wolves team needs strengthening we all know that. Players that Wolves usually look at are young squad players very rarely first teamers. I do think wolves will sell if the right offer comes in. every team sells may not what fans like to hear but thats the way of football. If it means Wolves sell one player to bring in two or three than so be it. it is what it is.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who's bidding £70m for Traore this summer? Don't be daft.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Who's bidding £70m for Traore this summer? Don't be daft.
Guess the point is that he's gotta be in the £100m plus bracket right now, to maintain that valuation he needs to match/exceed his performances last year. Can clubs afford £100m, yes but there's very few. Would Wolves let him go for £70m most likely not, so there'll be no bids at £70m.

To answer the original question. If we spend £100m this summer, spread it over 4 or 5 year contracts, yes it would bump up our liabilities but we have probably just had a record season in terms of income for this club, despite the lack of match day revenue over the restart period. Do we need to sell Adama or Raul to buy players, no! If we sell them to we need to replace them, yes and we'll use their income to do so.

Biffana wolf

Reaction score
No way is Traore worth 100million. He can't play a full game, doesn't score enough goals. For a winner his ceiling would be tops 35m. He doesn't bring that much to the team exciting seeing his sprints but a team changes the way it plays when he is in the team. Would never fit into a city or utd team.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Why do so many think we will struggle badly if we don't make 3/4 big signings? Haven't we shown enough evidence that we can go toe to toe with anyone? Around Christmas time we were arguably the 2nd best team in the league.

Ok, we need new signings to progress towards the top 4 but going into the season with the same team doesn't mean we will suddenly be in a relegation scrap
You could be right. We’re not in European competition, we know Nuno will play weaker teams in the 2 Cups, so 3 or 4 ‘big’ signings- not so sure. If we sign Maitland-Niles who covers FB/WB/Midfield positions, then who else would come in unless we do sell a player? Whatever happens, it will be right at the end of the window.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No way is Traore worth 100million. He can't play a full game, doesn't score enough goals. For a winner his ceiling would be tops 35m. He doesn't bring that much to the team exciting seeing his sprints but a team changes the way it plays when he is in the team. Would never fit into a city or utd team.

I know what you mean but during some of his best games this season, he was a threat throughout the game. I’d say he’s worth £50-60 given other prices

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
pretty sure there is budget available to spend without selling players, if Nuno wants to spend more that budget then I guess that would be need to be funded by some sales (not necessarily Traore) I guess question for Nuno to decide is 1 Traore worth more to the team/squad than possibly 2 other additional players ...

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF we need to sell players like Traore,we will end up as the new version of Soton.
Best case scenario if selling our best players is a slow decline in the results on the pitch.
That is practically carved in stone.
Liverpool sold Coutinho,Leicester sold half their title winning team,Man U sold Ronaldo and on and on and on
Selling big name players is how the top teams keep at the top,refresh and go again, sell for megag bucks ,buy 3/4 top potential players in return ,it may not always work, but theres plenty of examples that disprove your Southampton theory

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Liverpool sold Coutinho,Leicester sold half their title winning team,Man U sold Ronaldo and on and on and on
Selling big name players is how the top teams keep at the top,refresh and go again, sell for megag bucks ,buy 3/4 top potential players in return ,it may not always work, but theres plenty of examples that disprove your Southampton theory
build a high quality core squad, then you can afford to let the odd big name go every now and then, i think that's the key difference between the liverpool/leicester/man u and southampton

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Like when we sold Keane and bought Akinbiyi, then sold Akinbiyi and bought Robert Taylor. :eek:

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Barcelona don't have £70m to spend!

build a high quality core squad, then you can afford to let the odd big name go every now and then, i think that's the key difference between the liverpool/leicester/man u and southampton

That's right. Selling the odd player occasionally for silly money is different to selling your best players for a reasonable profit every summer (Wigan and Watford were good at this for a while, but it's rarely sustainable).

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably already been said by someone, I haven't read the whole thread...

Think it's a clickbait headline, written to make it sound like we're skint, but we're not.

I've said it several times on other threads, that at some point, we're going to have to sell someone with significant value in order to release the shackles of FFP to allow us to sign several players and really improve the quality of the squad.

Liverpool are the perfect example of this - they have built their title winning side from the sale of 2 major assets - Luis Suarez and Phillipe Coutinho. Yes, they've done other outbound business, but these two are the real deals that allowed them to buy the players that won the PL this season. It's all to do with how FFP is calculated for incoming money and outgoing money (via amortisation).

Chelsea are another - sold Hazard. I read somewhere today they've sold £204m worth of players and the players they've signed so far, total £205m. Yes, they have bigger commercials and bigger incomings etc but the principle is the same, just on a different level.

So, if you could sell Traore for £70m and bring in a quality CB, quality CM and a Forward to replace Traore, you'd do that deal. You'd be stupid not to.

When written down, it looks like we're selling to raise funds, but really, we're selling to free ourselves of an FFP burden.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Probably already been said by someone, I haven't read the whole thread...

Think it's a clickbait headline, written to make it sound like we're skint, but we're not.

I've said it several times on other threads, that at some point, we're going to have to sell someone with significant value in order to release the shackles of FFP to allow us to sign several players and really improve the quality of the squad.

Liverpool are the perfect example of this - they have built their title winning side from the sale of 2 major assets - Luis Suarez and Phillipe Coutinho. Yes, they've done other outbound business, but these two are the real deals that allowed them to buy the players that won the PL this season. It's all to do with how FFP is calculated for incoming money and outgoing money (via amortisation).

Chelsea are another - sold Hazard. I read somewhere today they've sold £204m worth of players and the players they've signed so far, total £205m. Yes, they have bigger commercials and bigger incomings etc but the principle is the same, just on a different level.

So, if you could sell Traore for £70m and bring in a quality CB, quality CM and a Forward to replace Traore, you'd do that deal. You'd be stupid not to.

When written down, it looks like we're selling to raise funds, but really, we're selling to free ourselves of an FFP burden.
probably a good thing for everyone to think we're skint, hopefully get better deals that way.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like when we sold Keane and bought Akinbiyi, then sold Akinbiyi and bought Robert Taylor. :eek:
One of the worst business decisions although done behind the back of Colin Lee

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool used the Coutinho money to move to the next level and win the league.

Chelsea are now using the Hazard money to try and do the same.

Man United rebuilt to win the league again twice in 4 season after Ronaldo left.

Spurs used the Bale money in the past to become a better all-round side and Leicester have become a more sustainable top 6 prospect since reinvesting the Maguire money.

When you are offered relatively silly money for one player, it's just good business sense to take it.

All the clubs do it, even the biggest ones. It's making sure the money is spent wisely that's key.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool used the Coutinho money to move to the next level and win the league.

Chelsea are now using the Hazard money to try and do the same.

Man United rebuilt to win the league again twice in 4 season after Ronaldo left.

Spurs used the Bale money in the past to become a better all-round side and Leicester have become a more sustainable top 6 prospect since reinvesting the Maguire money.

When you are offered relatively silly money for one player, it's just good business sense to take it.

All the clubs do it, even the biggest ones. It's making sure the money is spent wisely that's key.

Which, you could argue, Spurs did not with the Bale money.

Ebbo

Reaction score
So a couple of journo's have said we NEED to sell to raise cash... with Man City and Liverpool after Adama Troare. Think about it though, who would have told them that?

Nuno? Never speaks to the press does he?

His agent angling for a big move? Just happens to be Jorge, so that's not going to be the case is it?

Jeff... no, I don't think so, why would be announce that to the media?

We conduct our business quietly not in the press. All a non story for me. We may sell if a deal is right for us, but no other reason and that's not NEEDING to.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Player worth doesn't exist anymore its how much the other team want them.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which, you could argue, Spurs did not with the Bale money.

They did buy some overpriced crap, yes. But in the same window and 2 summers following Bale's sale in 2013, they also bought Alderwiereld, Son, Trippier, Alli, Dier, Davies, Eriksen and Lamela, players that have either been sold for profit, or still make up a big part of their squad today.

optimuswolf

Reaction score
Yes and no. We have the capacity to go big this season without selling, we would probably be dipping into permitted FFP losses - like an overdraft. But at some point (and this is the 'beauty' of FFP if you're a member of the established elite), we will have to pay it back and the way we do that is to cash in on a player or two to keep the investment going - or get into the CL.

They do word it as if we need to sell. According to Sky we needed to sell Traore to be able to go for Ocampos, I think the truth to that is we're only going in for Ocampos if anyone stumps up big money for Traore

We will need to cash in on some of our star players at some point though, as long as we're the challengers trying to climb into the CL it's inevitable that we'll have to sell some to fund more investment. Gone are the days when the owner could just sign cheques for fun

Recent evidence (liverpool, Sevilla) points to what should be obvious logic - selling players well is as important as buying them well. anyone expecting £80m net spend every window is unrealistic imho. especially with our commercial revenues tiny compared with the big boys right now.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our business model is to improve players and their value.
Nuno needs a balanced squad.
Why have an £80 million winger and be short in midfield and defence.
I would think Nuno has £40 million max to spend , but sell Traore and he could have say £100millon
Spend £100 million well and that would give us a much better team.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recent evidence (liverpool, Sevilla) points to what should be obvious logic - selling players well is as important as buying them well. anyone expecting £80m net spend every window is unrealistic imho. especially with our commercial revenues tiny compared with the big boys right now.
Yep, luckily for us at the moment we have quite a few 'gold mines' when it comes to raising funds (especially for FFP purposes) and certainly wouldn't need a fire sale of any description. I'll hate seeing some of these players leave but when one or two sales can fund another assault on the transfer market we have to look to the new stars we'll be signing and not pine for the ones we've lost

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly off thread but interesting development in Italy where two private equity companies are planning to buy a ten percent minority stake in Serie A for €1.3 billion -clubs are currently being consulted about allowing outside investors.

One is CVC who have invested in F1 and Premiership rugby.

Clubs said to be nervous because whoever comes in will in time over rule them but Italian football is broke

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly off thread but interesting development in Italy where two private equity companies are planning to buy a ten percent minority stake in Serie A for €1.3 billion -clubs are currently being consulted about allowing outside investors.

One is CVC who have invested in F1 and Premiership rugby.

Clubs said to be nervous because whoever comes in will in time over rule them but Italian football is broke
****ing hell, is serie A valued at 13b? Wow.

Back
Top Bottom