Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Disillusioned

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Jesus wept, after 1980 we had 35 years of utter mediocrity, at best. It wasn't that long ago when we were relegated to Div 1.
I am not disillusioned at all.
Completely agree. It’s all relative - I’m 53, I spent all of my 20’s (the 1990’s) in the chump. Much prefer watching the best players in the world.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely agree. It’s all relative - I’m 53, I spent all of my 20’s (the 1990’s) in the chump. Much prefer watching the best players in the world.
Yeah, I get that argument. But at least in the champ we had a realistic chance of promotion each season, and when we failed it wasn't because it was structurally nigh on impossible.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reached it some time ago too, sadly, or at least where the Premier League is concerned. Newcastle getting their billions is equally problematic -they've spent £150m in 2022 just to get to where we were, and they're still leagues behind the likes of Liverpool or Man City.

I’ve not made it to Molineux since Fulham in May 2019 which was the last time I went with my Dad and the first time I took my daughter. It’s a 400 mile round trip and my Dad doesn’t feel up to going to games these days, so it’s a bit of a lonely experience if I did go. I still go to Newcastle away each season but feels a bit like it’s out of local obligation (much like our former trips to Middlesbrough - used to go for a parmo and knowing we'd probably lose).

The initial novelty of back to back football matches most nights following project restart, became obsessional. As did FPL - I’ve not watched MOTD for a long time as I know every ball that’s been kicked.

That first couple of years back in the PL was magic, and the Europa League run, but I've posted before that the wins in 2009-2012 were always felt that little more hard-fought, that bit more satisfactory.

Don't get me wrong I'd happily tread water in the PL for 10 years, but feels like another super league or similar is just around the corner.

Guess I'd feel different if I still lived in the Midlands and could go regularly but I've ended up getting Sunderland season tickets for me and my lad, to give him a taste of live football. It's £450 for the two of us so less than £20 a game, I don't particularly care if they win or lose, but odds are it'll be a competitive Championship as ever.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah, I get that argument. But at least in the champ we had a realistic chance of promotion each season, and when we failed it wasn't because it was structurally nigh on impossible.
No, for long time in the championship we were out spending the rest of the division. So we enjoyed it when the boot was on the other foot...

T

TheConcourse

Yeah, there was a moment at the end of the Leeds game where 3/4 kids ran on to the pitch to get a players shirt. One was rugby tackled by a steward.

The disconnect now is so big between the players and the fans that it’s bordering on cold.

It’s got to a stage now where I’d let The Super League happen and invite those clubs to field Premier League teams with stricter budgets and wage caps. It’s the only way we’re going to bring this back.

Watching West Ham - a very decent side - barely kick the ball earlier. It’s not good.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, there was a moment at the end of the Leeds game where 3/4 kids ran on to the pitch to get a players shirt. One was rugby tackled by a steward.

The disconnect now is so big between the players and the fans that it’s bordering on cold.

It’s got to a stage now where I’d let The Super League happen and invite those clubs to field Premier League teams with stricter budgets and wage caps. It’s the only way we’re going to bring this back.

Watching West Ham - a very decent side - barely kick the ball earlier. It’s not good.

Good post mate.

Dead right as well. I mentioned on another forum - West Ham 0-1 down at HT were 40/1 to win the game. This a team who finished 7th. It's ridiculous. That match was demoralising and an encapsulation of what some are referencing I think. Add in the polluter that is VAR which renders so much as celebrating a goal challenging and it does make you wonder at times.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be grateful. I'm five years older... My late teens/early 20s was the bloody Bhatti brothers era...

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
I’d support the Wolves whatever league we play in….. it doesn’t need to be a side pushing for a top-4 or top-7 finish, although it is nice if we are :)

when we are doing well I have more smiles and a higher spring in my step, when we are doing badly I’m a little less happy - but my life doesn’t fundamentally change.

following a club for over 50 years bring a lot of perspective.

Nige

Reaction score
For People to suddenly Realise this seems strange to me. This happened the moment the Premier League was formed which is about 30 years ago... It was completed by design that became what it is... Didn't stop any of us wanting to get there though.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not with the players.

Not with Lage.

And not with Fosun.

But with football.

It's clear we hit our ceiling those first two years in the Prem. Europa League QF, FA Cup semi-final. Massive nights at Molineux, and an exciting team with promise and talent.

A lot think Fosun should have invested to push for the top four. But it would have been ludicrous. We'd have had to spend around half a billion on players alone, and our chances of qualifying for the Champions League would still have been slim. Then what? A club with enormous debts and a (relatively) small stadium with minimal commercial appeal: we'd have been in desperate financial trouble and almost certainly unsellable. What a lot see as Fosun's betrayal has probably saved the club. (I do think they're risking too much with their current transfer policy, but that's a different argument.)

And that's it. Great, isn't it? We spend so much time and money following a club we love. And for what? The occasional tilt at the Europa (Conference) League and a decent cup run. Maybe the odd win against the Sky Six.

Until the bottom falls out of the football market, the European Super League happens, or we get bought as the soft power vanity project of an authoritarian regime that'll continue to be it. The last would be ethically troubling, and the former two risk a crisis of domestic professional football.

I'm finding non-league and women's football increasingly appealing because, though they both have their problems, there's more of a meritocracy and more to be gained by sustainable investment.

The best case scenario for the club now is that Fosun get outside investment which 1) pays for the players to guarantee our Prem status and 2) stadium enlargement/upgrade (or a move). We'd then be an attractive proposition for a mega-investor. But is this really what we want?

Yep I hear you. I started feeling that way about 4 or 5 years ago now. The purity and innocence (for want of a better word) of the game is gone for me. Ruined by the money men and all their gimmicks like VAR.

Last time I felt like I really enjoyed football was when wolves were last down in the 3rd tier. What a great season that was. Since then there have been occasional highs but more often than not just a feeling of "meh" about the pro game in general.

It's all money money money, or football players with huge egos and wallets but small brains. Fans are "consumers", grounds are soulless meanwhile all the hype we are bombarded with is sickening.

Mind you this isn't just happening with footy: it is happening with most professional sports. They seem to have forgotten what the spirt of sport is all about

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The purity and innocence is nonsense isn't it though.

Go right back to Arsenal bribing other chairman to ensure they were promoted in 1919 despite being 5th.

Or the drug abusing West Germany teams of the 50s.

I was reading an interesting story the other day about Liverpool/United players being stung for match fixing back in 1915.

Games always been filthy rotten, was just easier to ignore. Rose tinted glasses make the past look much better

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A really interesting post. Any team will only be able to challenge the Sly Six apart from the odd freak season with huge external investment. Starting a season where realistically a top half finish is success and scraping 7th is probably the highest we can achieve doesn't fill me with boundless joy. I'm beginning to wish the Sly Six had gone ahead with a Super League and left the rest of us to have a competitive league where management skills, good recruitment and a good youth system give every team something other than avoiding relegation to play for.
Always said this, Arsenal vs Athletico Madrid will rapidly lose its appeal. They struggle to sell UCL group game tickets now.

So long as; and this is crucial; when they do go they are kicked out of the English pyramid.

They can take VAR with them.

bully9

Reaction score
Be grateful. I'm five years older... My late teens/early 20s was the bloody Bhatti brothers era...
In a weird way it made us closer to our club , most days now I feel like a customer not a fan , I’d spend my last pound on WOLVES now I’m not so keen , I’ve spent all my life wanting us to be the club my late Dad told me about , now not so sure

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Go right back to Arsenal bribing other chairman to ensure they were promoted in 1919 despite being 5th.

I was reading an interesting story the other day about Liverpool/United players being stung for match fixing back in 1915.

Games always been filthy rotten, was just easier to ignore. Rose tinted glasses make the past look much better
And money has always played a huge part. Success for the likes of Burnley, Huddersfield and Wolves coincided with those areas being affluent at the time.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Or waaay back, English clubs secretly bringing down Scottish ‘miners’ to work in their towns who were suspiciously good at football.

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. Corinthian spirit is a myth.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a weird way it made us closer to our club , most days now I feel like a customer not a fan , I’d spend my last pound on WOLVES now I’m not so keen , I’ve spent all my life wanting us to be the club my late Dad told me about , now not so sure
I went with my two girls and my wife to watch training at Compton a few weeks back and the club and players were AMAZING. 99s for the kids, Wendy & Wolfie, all the players spent ages afterwards signing shirts.

Never felt prouder of the club or closer to them tbh, it was great.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And money has always played a huge part. Success for the likes of Burnley, Huddersfield and Wolves coincided with those areas being affluent at the time
I went with my two girls and my wife to watch training at Compton a few weeks back and the club and players were AMAZING. 99s for the kids, Wendy & Wolfie, all the players spent ages afterwards signing shirts.

Nice to hear a riposte to the vocal online minority.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Nothing will change because the powers that be want our so called big boys to represent the country in Europe.
I only watch Wolves games now , I simply ain't interested in the money boys and their greed.
If the bubble bursts and it becomes a level playing field again it will be a great day for football.imho.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Can't believe you put your daughters up a tree

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

And money has always played a huge part. Success for the likes of Burnley, Huddersfield and Wolves coincided with those areas being affluent at the time.
I noted in another thread our fans didn't seem to have a problem with us losing £50M and outspending the rest of the division to get out of Championship vs Burton who probably spent a couple of our players bonuses on their squad.

It's ok when we do it...

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noted in another thread our fans didn't seem to have a problem with us losing £50M and outspending the rest of the division to get out of Championship vs Burton who probably spent a couple of our players bonuses on their squad.

It's ok when we do it...
My Arsenal supporting family hate Chelsea because "they bought success". Ignoring the fact that Arsenal had more spending power than 95% of their rivals.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

My Arsenal supporting family hate Chelsea because "they bought success". Ignoring the fact that Arsenal had more spending power than 95% of their rivals.
Think they are up to nearly £200M net over the last two seasons now? Don't get me wrong the Arsenal are the 3rd biggest club in the country IMO.

Although as I mentioned bribing their way into top division probably helped, believe Chapman not long after had a fairly all conquering team.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A really interesting post. Any team will only be able to challenge the Sly Six apart from the odd freak season with huge external investment. Starting a season where realistically a top half finish is success and scraping 7th is probably the highest we can achieve doesn't fill me with boundless joy. I'm beginning to wish the Sly Six had gone ahead with a Super League and left the rest of us to have a competitive league where management skills, good recruitment and a good youth system give every team something other than avoiding relegation to play for.
Interesting you say this, I'm a big golf fan, a new golf league has started, LIV Golf, exactly the same idea as the Super League, a closed shop, with internet only access to cut out the middle men of Sky, BT etc and regulated golfing bodies. I was saying I now wish the Super League had happened, because I've already forgotten about the guys on the Liv Golf Tour.
You think you'll miss them at first, but it doesn't take long to replace them.

The best thing that could happen is for all them "big" clubs to +×÷= off to their own stuff and leave us be.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through all this but get the general drift. I would say that had we built on those 7th place finishes and replaced Utd/Arsenal as one of the big 6, not impossible looking back, and we were playing in Europe season after season views may be different? Because we have drifted backwards for 2 years now, playing really unattractive football, maybe we are anti everything football when really we are just pretty anti what has happened at Molineux. I bet no-one held these views during Nuno's first 3 seasons?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through all this but get the general drift. I would say that had we built on those 7th place finishes and replaced Utd/Arsenal as one of the big 6, not impossible looking back, and we were playing in Europe season after season views may be different? Because we have drifted backwards for 2 years now, playing really unattractive football, maybe we are anti everything football when really we are just pretty anti what has happened at Molineux. I bet no-one held these views during Nuno's first 3 seasons?
I did about football in general but wolves/nuno brought some magic back.

Also, note that var, the new financial regs, covid (and societal changes), and the proposed super league hadn't happened.

The money isn't the issue for me, it's the now near permanent massive in balance irrespective of who owns you. Money always helped but now it can't really get you higher than 7th. Things like 5 subs make it worst.

I was dead against the superleague. Starting to change my mind if regs can be rebalanced.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

THere is more chance of me flying to Molineux on a pig than us replacing either of those two long term. Look at their revenues/wage bills. But you're overall thesis is correct, I wonder whether everyone who loved League One also loved the season before away from the scummy Premier League

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
THere is more chance of me flying to Molineux on a pig than us replacing either of those two long term. Look at their revenues/wage bills. But you're overall thesis is correct, I wonder whether everyone who loved League One also loved the season before away from the scummy Premier League
I love any season I can still watch Wolves

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all for the Super League and the sooner the better. It would be great for the Premier League to become a proper competition in which the fans of Wolves, Everton, WHU, Leeds, Villa, Forest Newcastle, Leicester and others would have a realistic chance of celebrating being crowned as champions.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all for the Super League and the sooner the better. It would be great for the Premier League to become a proper competition in which the fans of Wolves, Everton, WHU, Leeds, Villa, Forest Newcastle, Leicester and others would have a realistic chance of celebrating being crowned as champions.
When we finished 7th we were the best of the rest. So why didn't we have a bus parade? Isn't that what the post superleague winner will be?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

When we finished 7th we were the best of the rest. So why didn't we have a bus parade? Isn't that what the post superleague winner will be?
Yeah, if the Super League ever happened it replaces the Champions League.

If the big 6 left, English football goes bankrupt. 100s of clubs insolvent, 1000s losing their jobs.

The Premier League is barely more valuable than the Championship without the top clubs - sad reality. People don't pay extortionate TV prices to watch us vs Fulham.

Reaction score
Watched a bit of the Chelsea v Tottenham game today, it Was quite enjoyable even the managers added Spice to the game. Too few and far between these days though, real competitive max effort with a bit of spite.

Back
Top Bottom