Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Discuss ffp here.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You mean in the summer they spent 32 million on Jimenez, 16 million on Cutrone and 20 million on Neto and Jordao? After two summers in a row of heavy investment and needing to carry the championship loss on Premier League FFP while still needing to also try and break even for European FFP? Truth is, we have yet to have a season when we're not restricted by one FFP or another. It WOULD have been this summer if we hadn't qualified for Europe when we did. Now it's pushed on to next summer.

I'll try again with less snark.

There are two different FFP's that have been affecting the club. Premier league and UEFA.

In the year before we were subject to either of them, we ran up a huge debt getting out of the championship.

In our first three seasons in the prem, we were constrained by what we could do WITHIN Premier League FFP while carrying the championship debt.

Then we qualified for Europe at the end of the first year.

So in our second season up, we were operating within both premier league and UEFA FFP. Because of the championship debt, we failed the latter. But we had a good excuse, so UEFA were reasonable, and came to a settlement agreement aimed at proving we could manage effectively over the next two seasons.

Our third year in the premier league was the last year we were affected by the championship debt, because it aged off the books as the FFP window moved on. BUT we were still under the agreement with UEFA to break even for premier league seasons three and four -last season and this season.

So this summer we no longer need to worry about the championship debt when it comes to Premier league FFP. In effect, if we hadn't qualified for Europe we could go nuts this summer and spend whatever three full seasons of premier league money would allow us to within FFP. (Villa got round this by using Villa Park to plug the hole they created through championship spending. Sure, Fosun could probably get away with a similar trick, but given how much increased focus our ownership model is under -in part down to complaints from Villa- Jeff is running the club absolutely squeaky clean and transparent.) But we still have an agreement in place with UEFA. And that is the agreement Jeff commented on during Ask Wolves when he said Wolves aren't going to 'break the rules and pay a fine.' We agreed to a settlement and we're sticking to it.

But I know mods want FFP chat to stay off this thread, so I'll leave that as my last comment on it.

Last edited:

EdinburghWolf

Reaction score

There are two different FFP's that have been affecting the club. Premier league and UEFA.

In the year before we were subject to either of them, we ran up a huge debt getting out of the championship.

In our first three seasons in the prem, we were constrained by what we could do WITHIN Premier League FFP while carrying the championship debt.

So in our second season up, we were operating within both premier league and UEFA FFP. Because of the championship debt, we failed the latter. But we had a good excuse, so UEFA were reasonable, and came to a settlement agreement aimed at proving we could manage effectively over the next two seasons.

Our third year in the premier league was the last year we were affected by the championship debt, because it aged off the books as the FFP window moved on. BUT we were still under the agreement with UEFA to break even for premier league seasons three and four -last season and this season.

So this summer we no longer need to worry about the championship debt when it comes to Premier league FFP. In effect, if we hadn't qualified for Europe we could go nuts this summer and spend whatever three full seasons of premier league money would allow us to within FFP. (Villa got round this by using Villa Park to plug the hole they created through championship spending. Sure, Fosun could probably get away with a similar trick, but given how much increased focus our ownership model is under -in part down to complaints from Villa- Jeff is running the club absolutely squeaky clean and transparent.) But we still have an agreement in place with UEFA. And that is the agreement Jeff commented on during Ask Wolves when he said Wolves aren't going to 'break the rules and pay a fine.' We agreed to a settlement and we're sticking to it.

But I know mods want FFP chat to stay off this thread, so I'll leave that as my last comment on it.
Great summary

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Article from Spiers after talking to Wolves in August 2020 after the 'punishment'.

"Most importantly of all, they insist it won’t impact on their spending plans for the summer (if anything causes that it’s the hit their income has taken from the coronavirus pandemic, ditto just about every club on the planet) and no players have to be sold to balance the books."

It's all BS and without doubt not the reason we aren't spending. Deep down everyone knows it but unfortunately we have to wait a year until we get the proof but no doubt some other excuse will be brought up for the lack of spending in 12 months time.

By the way, this isn't me demanding we spend. I've said time and time again that they've done enough for us and if they want to reduce the investment, it's **** for us but what can we do? They've done more than enough. But, stop this FFP get-out when it's completely irrelevant really as plenty of other clubs have shown. Plus, it's not going to matter to us anyway.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Article from Spiers after talking to Wolves in August 2020 after the 'punishment'.

"Most importantly of all, they insist it won’t impact on their spending plans for the summer (if anything causes that it’s the hit their income has taken from the coronavirus pandemic, ditto just about every club on the planet) and no players have to be sold to balance the books."

It's all BS and without doubt not the reason we aren't spending. Deep down everyone knows it but unfortunately we have to wait a year until we get the proof but no doubt some other excuse will be brought up for the lack of spending in 12 months time.

By the way, this isn't me demanding we spend. I've said time and time again that they've done enough for us and if they want to reduce the investment, it's **** for us but what can we do? They've done more than enough. But, stop this FFP get-out when it's completely irrelevant really as plenty of other clubs have shown. Plus, it's not going to matter to us anyway.

Very interesting. I am afraid I dont think this FFP excuse is the whole problem with us not spending. No doubt I will be slated for this but I am fast losing faith in what is going on in the last 12-18 months. I hope I am wrong but the feeling I get is not of an ambitious club that aspire for Europe anymore. Maybe I am wrong but it feels different to me from when we got promoted.

I feel the way things are going and have gone we will struggle next season and that would be a crying shame as after the defeat in the Europe quarter final we would/ should have been a great position to push on if we had been more clever in the market,

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

"Without doubt not the reason we aren't spending"...how the hell are you so sure?

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very interesting. I am afraid I dont think this FFP excuse is the whole problem with us not spending. No doubt I will be slated for this but I am fast losing faith in what is going on in the last 12-18 months. I hope I am wrong but the feeling I get is not of an ambitious club that aspire for Europe anymore. Maybe I am wrong but it feels different to me from when we got promoted.

I feel the way things are going and have gone we will struggle next season and that would be a crying shame as after the defeat in the Europe quarter final we would/ should have been a great position to push on if we had been more clever in the market,
I don't trust them now, just the way I feel. It's sly and things seem to be hidden from the pack more than before.
We only needed a couple of players to push on and we blew it.
If we start to struggle early doors and are not competing it won't be Bruno who will get pelters it will be Jeff.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thanks Jay. Appreciate the summary.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are still in the Prem this time next year I reckon we will still be having these same conversations, I don't think it's FFP that has tightened the purse strings and we will splurge loads of money next summer once we are free of it, I think it's club policy now, sell to buy, be self sufficient, thats it, incomings will depend on outgoings

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are still in the Prem this time next year I reckon we will still be having these same conversations, I don't think it's FFP that has tightened the purse strings and we will splurge loads of money next summer once we are free of it, I think it's club policy now, sell to buy, be self sufficient, thats it, incomings will depend on outgoings
You know what, I think you are right mate. This is the new normal.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then it ain't worth paying the 800 quid a pop to watch it.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So Spiers is gospel now

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wow man, you’ve ignored most of the article which explains why we ended up breaking the rules and pulled out a quote which is 12 months out of date to suggest none of it matters in any case!

At the time of the article our finances we’re still solid but the future was uncertain because we didn’t know what would happen with covid. Well as it turns out we had two further large waves, another long lockdown and fans were missing most of the following season along with their income. We were also hit with injuries unlike the recent seasons and ended up finishing lower the the prior two seasons, further reducing income via prize money. Our stars (major player assets) are worth around two thirds what they were 12 months ago reflecting the broader transfer market which reflects the harder finances for all clubs. So rather than our club’s income growing over the last 12 months, it’s fallen significantly, while the wage bill and player amortisation costs have not. Despite that we still have an agreement to fulfil with UEFA.

We simply don’t have the revenue of the more established clubs, who themselves are struggling, and FFP simply stops owners from injecting it for use on player transfers and salaries.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You are correct about the Premier league part but wrong about the UEFA settlement. People are looking at the statement, in particular the 2021/22 part and misunderstanding it. That is when we report the 2021 financial year’s results and when we can be sanctioned. The 2021 financial year concluded at the end of May 2021. We are NOT constrained by the UEFA settlement unless something has changed, which means this transfer window (part of the 2022 financial year) has nothing to do with the UEFA settlement. Here is the statement:

Wolverhampton Wanderers undertakes to report a maximum break-even deficit of 30 million euros in the financial year ending in 2020 and to finally reach, in the 2021-22 season, an aggregate break-even result for the financial years ending in 2019, 2020 and 2021 within the acceptable deviation.

FFP is a bull**** and baseless excuse unless we are the only club in the world that have not been permitted in UEFA’s wording: ‘further allowing specific Covid-19 adjustments.’

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are correct about the Premier league part but wrong about the UEFA settlement. People are looking at the statement, in particular the 2021/22 part and misunderstanding it. That is when we report the 2021 financial year’s results and when we can be sanctioned. The 2021 financial year concluded at the end of May 2021. We are NOT constrained by the UEFA settlement unless something has changed, which means this transfer window (part of the 2022 financial year) has nothing to do with the UEFA settlement. Here is the statement:

Wolverhampton Wanderers undertakes to report a maximum break-even deficit of 30 million euros in the financial year ending in 2020 and to finally reach, in the 2021-22 season, an aggregate break-even result for the financial years ending in 2019, 2020 and 2021 within the acceptable deviation.

FFP is a bull**** and baseless excuse unless we are the only club in the world that have not been permitted in UEFA’s wording: ‘further allowing specific Covid-19 adjustments.’
Wrong

The 2021 financial year runs until April 22.

At least I hope it does or I'm going to jail for dodgy tax goings on

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You’re spot on and so was Britney. The settlement has concluded, we have already either complied or failed it. It’s final portion was the 2021 financial year which finished 3 months ago. People keep thinking that because 2021/22 is mentioned that means our accounts for that season are included. No, that is when we can be punished as that is when we announce the results.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wrong

The 2021 financial year runs until April 22.

At least I hope it does or I'm going to jail for dodgy tax goings on
Wrong. This is football, not a normal business. Argue with this:

19th March 2021:

Wolves have released headline financial information for the year ending 31st May 2020​

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

19th March 2021:

Wolves have released headline financial information for the year ending 31st May 2020​

****....I'm going to jail!

But seriously, can someone explain it to me in that case, as @HKWolf ostensibly makes a good point. That statement suggests we are now free of FFP restrictions.

I don't believe that to be the case, but I would like to understand more.

Edit: ARGH. sorry Transfer thread again. I lose track

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You would like to think that our owners would have approached UEFA for clarification about how circumstances have altered for us specifically with Covid.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

19th March 2021:

Sorry, but you are failing to take into account the adjustments which UEFA made for COVID. Basically, they’ve extended/delayed the 2020 assessment period by a year, and presumably that applies to our agreement too.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So either way from next season we are under no restrictions?
Assuming we meet the requirements, yes, we revert to just having to follow the same FFP restrictions as others. Since we will likely record another loss for the 2020/21 financial period, then I assume we wouldn’t have fulfilled the agreement without the extension.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, they don’t though do they. Granted equally no one knows it definitely is the case that FFP is the issue but their here say and conjecture that FFP is the problem (which the club itself explicitly states) is no different to your here say and conjecture that it’s all a lie.

The only difference is your conjecture includes calling the club out as liars where as others is choosing to believe them. But sure, you’re definitely right and others are naive. You may well be right of course, but you can’t be any more certain than anyone else with any differing view to you.

It’s literally all conjecture. Every single opinion on this is conjecture as there’s no way any of us have the full information to accurately form our opinions.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry, but you are failing to take into account the adjustments which UEFA made for COVID. Basically, they’ve extended/delayed the 2020 assessment period by a year, and presumably that applies to our agreement too.

This is possible, but covid adjustments can only work in our favour.

The only reason I even bring FFP and the UEFA settlement up, is that the club apologists are using it as an excuse to fit their argument for us not spending. They are dressing it up as a fact, which looks anything but. On the one hand they claim we have a stand alone agreement with UEFA and that covid adjustments aren’t included. On the other hand the reporting period has now been extended which means the settlement is extended. It can’t be both.

We either have a stand alone agreement which has concluded OR we have covid adjustements which will undoubtedly mean we posted a profit and not a loss last season.

FFP is an excuse, and not even a valid one unless our accounts are dodgy which I doubt. If Fosun don’t want to spend that is fine, but don’t hide behind a make believe story.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

19th March 2021:

Yes you'll find that was the 2019 financial year. Nothing to do with football.

The deadline for reporting is 11 months after the end of the FY which is why it wasn't reported until March 2021.

FY2021 ends in 2022 and won't be reported until probably March 2023.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is possible, but covid adjustments can only work in our favour.

The only reason I even bring it up is that the club apologists are using it as an excuse to fit their argument for us not spending. They are dressing it up as a fact, which looks anything but. On the one hand they claim we have a stand alone agreement with UEFA and that covid adjustments aren’t included. On the other hand the reporting period has now been extended which means the settlement is extended. It can’t be both.

We either have a stand alone agreement which has concluded OR we have covid adjustements which will undoubtedly mean we posted a profit and not a loss last season.

FFP is an excuse, and not even a valid one unless our accounts are dodgy which I doubt. If Fosun don’t want to spend that is fine, but don’t hide behind a make believe story.
Yes and no.

We posted a loss of almost £40m for the financial year ending May 2020. Given we had no fans for all but one match in the season just completed, and we finished lower and didn’t have European football income, it’s highly likely we will post another loss for the year ended May 2021. So yes it’s helpful that UEFA have extended the reporting period by a year, but we will need to post a profit for the period just started to bring the overall loss for the extended agreement period to meet the agreed limit.

So by that logic, we are constrained by the UEFA agreement because we need to post much improved finances this coming season, including this summer and coming January transfer windows.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes and no.

We posted a loss of almost £40m for the financial year ending May 2020. Given we had no fans for all but one match in the season just completed, and we finished lower and didn’t have European football income, it’s highly likely we will post another loss for the year ended May 2021. So yes it’s helpful that UEFA have extended the reporting period by a year, but we will need to post a profit for the period just started to bring the overall loss for the extended agreement period to meet the agreed limit.

So by that logic, we are constrained by the UEFA agreement because we need to post much improved finances this coming season, including this summer and coming January transfer windows.
On page 2 of the accounts, it mentions we will have an adjusted profit on the next set of accounts. Using the figures Wolves provide, we will be getting a £55mill boost to the 2021 financial year’s accounts, rendering any losses for 2020 as completely irrelevant. It is all in black and white, just as the dates are, ‘Year ending 31st May 2020’

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/NIo164wRJC2LPU5K_z_RE1UVQX5MpFG5FtMoftsfQIg/application-pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAWRGBDBV3A5TU2TLS%2F20210802%2Feu-west-2%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210802T194217Z&X-Amz-Expires=60&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEOn%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaCWV1LXdlc3QtMiJHMEUCIGaY0QJF7Nc5Rraz6dAugWDg2NmDYnyaJRpuc5nFRuqSAiEAuOJkx%2FlJVSWNilj6v0rZA%2F4xAXyrlqXvAJmpmRlkXW8qgwQI8v%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FARADGgw0NDkyMjkwMzI4MjIiDJLK1ZkqLDLHMUagMirXA8c%2F0LtBc6QcITnuEJ%2BoUBOBpd3S76Idm8FGFOW%2FJ3By6MLMEZTaqzjMcZechg%2FkD%2F5COGDms4qz00UCvlwMS6f8eER9uDvKu8U8qmw2ZWy0SWR4%2ByFut0hn1LnqXTrZj4mOsQWo%2BVOEhIZHeX4E9iYW0xLbqvvkrU1c9GgLkT0TOl%2FB7YQdbl%2FYWoRO3Dcw5VCHztA%2BzznMbNmNwJh7ZZ2Y0c%2FpZksL3NXI900CTt%2FvnRc8%2Fn%2B%2BtLmGCnih7wSTtjdMtQDdbh8Depx46Ftf2%2FYfyZZRRPdUr9%2FAS4WGs6ZlA5VKS4S6uHHaslfQqjMJRoykBNSdFodLdkSuX3jMM1w1cYCG%2BRg%2BDFzMmqShj%2BsBpMTv%2BKGjJa2SMtD1U4x0kDV97HjFwPpzJkfefJYnYDInd%2BS3RNL0XI05R0IROe5Jf3i5zyL9QMoEtoJqpCXc4FDElV%2FRSQaT%2BJ%2FELW4at7KMT3rAmFz%2FkgYfj6dLPpwncFdLt6YAr%2FasIa3ywymuRTWWYreDCxTvCJkK2QIKGclys0RQevrvsf8TW0x9ErV3xOUFeccf7bSyoWxchrw4CFKYO4qWQOSDPt3eaV%2Bqlj%2B%2BobAkfd3146tgq32%2FJ2LXYmqoPTng%2BzDgyaCIBjqlAZAw7DTckbZFiCO6bZ2TZCbSp%2BXzsyHtDX%2Bxi3vwwgOKMrc4IHio2GPMljaNnPNx%2BtNt%2BHJ2bb9wY0LO%2BUpIhw7EHefGrWAiJm8POCsgrkI1trts1wmbp%2Bov4ZxWSk2oA3rXI21yShmTIsfBwMf83FloxpPmXcln%2Bo0Uo0FJ5NemCEzcFfNenoBePkVExvp6zlKSuBk8a5priN8r3hpzSZiq5qbwgw%3D%3D&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%3D%22companies_house_document.pdf%22&X-Amz-Signature=419ebbb9b60ca3324942f3fef777c13280852307a3d0acb224edc196378ab861

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1627933514002.png
That’s the statement above.

And whilst I can see where you’re coming from and having reread it what you’re saying could be true, it specifically states at the top of it that the agreement covers the 2020/21 and 2021/22 sporting seasons.

The club themselves have stated it is an issue, it’s a pretty bold claim to explicitly state they are lying. Especially as no journalist or anyone of note has picked them up on this.

The thing is, if you and others are right I don’t see what the club gain from this because in 12 months time the “excuse” is no longer available.

Maybe I’m just naive in thinking that they aren’t evil geniuses who lured us in by throwing £200m at the club just so they could snatch it all away and destroy everything they’re trying to build.

Or maybe that’s just too dull a take and super villains run our club is a more interesting one when there’s naff all else to talk about without and transfer gossip and the season not having started yet!

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
View attachment 22957

And whilst I can see where you’re coming from and having reread it what you’re saying could be true, it specifically states at the top of it that the agreement covers the 2020/21 and 2021/22 sporting seasons.

The club themselves have stated it is an issue, it’s a pretty bold claim to explicitly state they are lying. Especially as no journalist or anyone of note has picked them up on this.

The thing is, if you and others are right I don’t see what the club gain from this because in 12 months time the “excuse” is no longer available.

Maybe I’m just naive in thinking that they aren’t evil geniuses who lured us in by throwing £200m at the club just so they could snatch it all away and destroy everything they’re trying to build.

Or maybe that’s just too dull a take and super villains run our club is a more interesting one when there’s naff all else to talk about without and transfer gossip and the season not having started yet!
The only reasoning I can think of are that either Fosun don’t want to spend and using it as an excuse (let’s be honest here, 99% of fans won’t even look at the accounts), or it’s a smokescreen to keep prices down and **** is about to get serious. Who knows, hopefully the later.

Regarding the sporting season bit, I believe that is to do with the penalties listed in the last paragraph (reduced squad sizes). We didn’t qualify so it was irrelevant.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jeff Shi's position would become untenable if he's outright lies to cameras about FFP
He didn’t lie as such though did he? He said we are restricted by FFP, which we interpret as meaning we can’t spend jack ****. Man city are constrained by FFP, but there constrain is probably at about £500mill, not £100mill or whatever ours is. My last post on this, people can make their own interpretations.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
View attachment 22957

There's also absolutely no need for the club to lie about UEFA FFP...covid would provide more than enough excuses for reining in the spending if they needed it. Then there's all the Moxey excuses about trying but couldn't strike deals, finding value in the market etc etc. Loads to use before the need to actually outright lie about an agreement the club has made.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On page 2 of the accounts, it mentions we will have an adjusted profit on the next set of accounts. Using the figures Wolves provide, we will be getting a £55mill boost to the 2021 financial year’s accounts, rendering any losses for 2020 as completely irrelevant. It is all in black and white, just as the dates are, ‘Year ending 31st May 2020’

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/NIo164wRJC2LPU5K_z_RE1UVQX5MpFG5FtMoftsfQIg/application-pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAWRGBDBV3A5TU2TLS%2F20210802%2Feu-west-2%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210802T194217Z&X-Amz-Expires=60&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEOn%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaCWV1LXdlc3QtMiJHMEUCIGaY0QJF7Nc5Rraz6dAugWDg2NmDYnyaJRpuc5nFRuqSAiEAuOJkx%2FlJVSWNilj6v0rZA%2F4xAXyrlqXvAJmpmRlkXW8qgwQI8v%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FARADGgw0NDkyMjkwMzI4MjIiDJLK1ZkqLDLHMUagMirXA8c%2F0LtBc6QcITnuEJ%2BoUBOBpd3S76Idm8FGFOW%2FJ3By6MLMEZTaqzjMcZechg%2FkD%2F5COGDms4qz00UCvlwMS6f8eER9uDvKu8U8qmw2ZWy0SWR4%2ByFut0hn1LnqXTrZj4mOsQWo%2BVOEhIZHeX4E9iYW0xLbqvvkrU1c9GgLkT0TOl%2FB7YQdbl%2FYWoRO3Dcw5VCHztA%2BzznMbNmNwJh7ZZ2Y0c%2FpZksL3NXI900CTt%2FvnRc8%2Fn%2B%2BtLmGCnih7wSTtjdMtQDdbh8Depx46Ftf2%2FYfyZZRRPdUr9%2FAS4WGs6ZlA5VKS4S6uHHaslfQqjMJRoykBNSdFodLdkSuX3jMM1w1cYCG%2BRg%2BDFzMmqShj%2BsBpMTv%2BKGjJa2SMtD1U4x0kDV97HjFwPpzJkfefJYnYDInd%2BS3RNL0XI05R0IROe5Jf3i5zyL9QMoEtoJqpCXc4FDElV%2FRSQaT%2BJ%2FELW4at7KMT3rAmFz%2FkgYfj6dLPpwncFdLt6YAr%2FasIa3ywymuRTWWYreDCxTvCJkK2QIKGclys0RQevrvsf8TW0x9ErV3xOUFeccf7bSyoWxchrw4CFKYO4qWQOSDPt3eaV%2Bqlj%2B%2BobAkfd3146tgq32%2FJ2LXYmqoPTng%2BzDgyaCIBjqlAZAw7DTckbZFiCO6bZ2TZCbSp%2BXzsyHtDX%2Bxi3vwwgOKMrc4IHio2GPMljaNnPNx%2BtNt%2BHJ2bb9wY0LO%2BUpIhw7EHefGrWAiJm8POCsgrkI1trts1wmbp%2Bov4ZxWSk2oA3rXI21yShmTIsfBwMf83FloxpPmXcln%2Bo0Uo0FJ5NemCEzcFfNenoBePkVExvp6zlKSuBk8a5priN8r3hpzSZiq5qbwgw%3D%3D&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%3D%22companies_house_document.pdf%22&X-Amz-Signature=419ebbb9b60ca3324942f3fef777c13280852307a3d0acb224edc196378ab861
We won’t have a windfall, we have a rebate to pay to Sky and the other broadcasters in 2021/22. The PL agreed a deal to defer the rebate for the suspended season in early 2020 until things improved. It looks like we took a provision for this in the 2020 accounts, which will unwind in 2021. If so, our accounts will have improved in 2021 to the tune of the £54m provision, but against that, we will have less income than the prior season because we didn’t have half a season with full gates, less PL prize money, and no Europa League prize and tv money. Since the starting point before the covid impact on broadcast income was a modest (under £20m) profit, when these are factored in, we have likely made a loss.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems set up to stop clubs like Wolves with wealthy owners ever challenging the self titled ‘elite’ by buying their way in.

A scam basically, no club “organically” can ever break into the dirty six with any long term impact… look at Leicester, won the league and the team was then dismantled by the bigger clubs pretty quickly.

It’s completely manufactured to maintain the status quo for those dining at the top table, dressed up as protecting the other club’s finances.

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Needs to change as part of ongoing review - and so does unequal distribution of tv monies and league monies. Head needs taking off premier league snakes before they grow back and get us all again.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems set up to stop clubs like Wolves with wealthy owners ever challenging the self titled ‘elite’ by buying their way in.

A scam basically, no club “organically” can ever break into the dirty six with any long term impact… look at Leicester, won the league and the team was then dismantled by the bigger clubs pretty quickly.

It’s completely manufactured to maintain the status quo for those dining at the top table, dressed up as protecting the other club’s finances.
Amen. Well said.

Back
Top Bottom