Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Development

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
with all the youngsters coming into the squad I wonder if we are a club building a team to go for trophies or developing youngsters for the bigger teams. Surely the squad needs more experienced players in it rather than selling them at this stage of our development.

MutchAdo

Reaction score
I think the youngsters are supplementing the more experienced heads at the moment (and yes we do have a fair few of them) and will obviously grow into invaluable first teamers. We know nobody will touch Fabio with a barge pole given he's just moved for £35m, Vitinha will be pretty much in the same boat and we'd ask a fair amount for Hoever if he progresses as expected due to the sell on clause.

I don't believe we'll be a selling club, if what Britney has said is true in that we decided to sell Jota in the summer then it's because Podence and Neto will be more in line with how Nuno wants to play and are first team ready, this has been a big window for squad transition given the fact we've only moved on two starters and is just building for the future while being able to use them in the right way in the here and now. If we were aiming to cash in on talent then Neves and Raul would have gone for massive sums already.

Personally I think this is a phenomenal plan by Fosun and they're executing it with first class precision.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno is changing tactics. Jota's sale was because he no longer fits the system. at least that is what Nuno is implying. we are going to be more possession based. so, as long as we do recruit some experience as well as youth then we can expect different football this season (gradually). i think nuno believes that to win we need to play differently. so, no i dont see us as developing players for so called bigger clubs. like liverpool who dont have the cash to pay us now for example

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think both are realistic ambitions, don’t have to be one or the other.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
with all the youngsters coming into the squad I wonder if we are a club building a team to go for trophies or developing youngsters for the bigger teams. Surely the squad needs more experienced players in it rather than selling them at this stage of our development.

How many more experienced players at trophy winning level have we turned down? I'd guess very few, because it's a closed shop and those kind of players move between other trophy winning clubs, not the new upstarts who have appeared out of the depths of the Championship. Harsh, but that's how it it will look to those kind of players.

Our model has been to go for those who have been overlooked by the trophy winners (Raul) , promising youngsters (Neto) , and some who have been persuaded by "the project" (Moutinho, Marcel, perhaps). Sorry, but the likes of Ronaldo, Werner, Bale, maybe even those at Cancelo level, will not be joining us just yet. Forget it. We have to do the best with what's available and so far, Nuno has done a brilliant job.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Providing we buy the right young players, develop them and see something of their potential in a Wolves' shirt then sell them on for a vast fee, then I've got no problem with that. We also have to buy 'team-ready' players as well as we need to continue our progress. It's a balance, but with the signings of Silva and Hoever, we are showing ambition. Just hope that we sign 'the finished article' as well before the end of the window.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Doc and Diogo leaving were sanctioned by Nuno and it was entirely our decision to sell. If we didn't want to sell then both would still be putting on the Old Gold shirt on Monday night.

There's a clear change in strategy this season and how it will impact us in 20/21 is obviously yet to be seen. However it should set us up for a wonderful few years regardless.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
We are hardly a kids-only team..... Coady, Jimenez, Saiss, Moutinho, Patricio, Boly are all well over 25, now joined by Marcel , the 23/24 year-olds are hardly wet behind the ears (Neves, Traore, Podence) - personally, I think a great youth/experience blend has developed over the last couple of years

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Building the club, not creating assets to swell the accounts with sales.

We only sell players that we want to sell.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he couldn't say anything else could he, selling jota, one our top talents so quickly to liverpool for a relatively small fee in todays market isnt the most convincing thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom