Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Derby takeover about to collapse

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wheres Rooney heading then?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liam Rosenior will take charge of training next Monday when the Derby County players return for pre season training, including just five contracted players. Who can blame Wayne Rooney for walking, he has put a lot of his own money into the club, and obviously fears the worst. I do hope that someone rescues Derby, their fans must feel terribly sad at the demise of a once great club.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liam Rosenior will take charge of training next Monday when the Derby County players return for pre season training, including just five contracted players. Who can blame Wayne Rooney for walking, he has put a lot of his own money into the club, and obviously fears the worst. I do hope that someone rescues Derby, their fans must feel terribly sad at the demise of a once great club.
The new owner of the ground may be a Derby fan but he's also a property developer.... It may be out of the frying pan into the fire....

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The new owner of the ground may be a Derby fan but he's also a property developer.... It may be out of the frying pan into the fire....
Think building over football grounds is essentially impossible without the council approval though right?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Any major development requires planning permission. Ultimately central Government can overrule councils though.
Yeah even this one aren't blithering stupid enough for that own goal though. Surely?

Then again

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Strange timing by Rooney?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always found Derby to be a bit like Wolverhampton in that it’s a real proper football town. Some places you can go and you wouldn’t know there’s a team there, even on a matchday, but there’s signs, ram logos, paper headlines about the club all over the centre. They’d never get the go ahead to build on the ground.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always found Derby to be a bit like Wolverhampton in that it’s a real proper football town. Some places you can go and you wouldn’t know there’s a team there, even on a matchday, but there’s signs, ram logos, paper headlines about the club all over the centre. They’d never get the go ahead to build on the ground.
Very possibly true.... There's lots of land around the ground though which they could hang on to even if releasing the stadium. That happened at Pompey and made any new developments pretty much impossible (at least without forking out ransom prices).

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I used to like going to the Baseball Ground, there always seemed a good atmosphere. And during the Clough/Taylor era they had a very good team as well.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe but that whole area is already a retail/ office development area and so wouldnt get planning permission for houses and plenty of spare land for current development priorities.
Next door is Derby velodrome (owned by council) so presumably they want that area to be a sports/entertainment hub, so maybe difficult to get permission to demolish and build yet another super market or office block.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some great memories of the Baseball Ground, Tina and her friends in the Pop Side, the FA Cup match 1971 one of king John's first games and sinking in the mud after the game.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe but that whole area is already a retail/ office development area and so wouldnt get planning permission for houses and plenty of spare land for current development priorities.
Next door is Derby velodrome (owned by council) so presumably they want that area to be a sports/entertainment hub, so maybe difficult to get permission to demolish and build yet another super market or office block.

The only retail there is car dealers afaik. The Wyvern centre about 5 mins away is always full with shoppers from the nearby residential areas.

A shopping complex on the site would bring in cash at least 5 days a week as there must be thousands of workers in the pride park area.

I don't know if the whole are was cleaned up as the whole are was heavily contaminated with industrial waste or cleaned as a each developer sought to develop their plot, but what was done took a lot of money and time with many organisations involved.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to like going to the Baseball Ground, there always seemed a good atmosphere. And during the Clough/Taylor era they had a very good team as well.

My Uncle is 86 and is a lifelong Rams fan and was there in those glory years. Clive despises " Dirty Leeds " all these later by the way ! When Derby dug up the old Baseball Ground pitch my dear now sadly departed Auntie Esther was aghast when Clive turned up with a framed picture that he paid a good sum for that contained an " Official piece of the Baseball Ground Pitch " My cousins and her reckoned it was some old bit of mud from a farmers field in rural Derbyshire :D:D:D

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some great memories of the Baseball Ground, Tina and her friends in the Pop Side, the FA Cup match 1971 one of king John's first games and sinking in the mud after the game.

I bought 2 programmes for £3 on EBay last year ( the sort I like as they had the team changes written in biro and had clearly been thumbed through, dealers want immaculate ones ! ) from Derby v Wolves games in 1971. When I got them I checked the games out and Wolves won the January 9th League game 2-1 with Bobby Gould and Bernard Shaw scoring. Interesting to hear you were at the FA Cup match ( January 23 )where King John scored Did you go to both matches ?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I agree but I think it helps that they’re the only team in their town, same as us. But you’re right Derby is a proper football town, even though it’s sometimes hard to say exactly what proper means.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bought 2 programmes for £3 on EBay last year ( the sort I like as they had the team changes written in biro and had clearly been thumbed through, dealers want immaculate ones ! ) from Derby v Wolves games in 1971. When I got them I checked the games out and Wolves won the January 9th League game 2-1 with Bobby Gould and Bernard Shaw scoring. Interesting to hear you were at the FA Cup match ( January 23 )where King John scored Did you go to both matches ?
Indeed I did, FA Cup game quite historic in our house, was the day my parents and future in-laws were to meet for a first time and a meal, after game, having got knee deep in mud on the pitch, got back to my Triumph Herald and differential went and stuck, got a lift back to Lichfield on a Don Everall coach and 2 hrs late for meal having paid for a taxi. Think I may have some of the programmes in my loft if you want them.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed I did, FA Cup game quite historic in our house, was the day my parents and future in-laws were to meet for a first time and a meal, after game, having got knee deep in mud on the pitch, got back to my Triumph Herald and differential went and stuck, got a lift back to Lichfield on a Don Everall coach and 2 hrs late for meal aving paid for a taxi. Think I may have some of the programmes in my loft if you want them.

Thank you for the offer of the programmes but I have a fair few already, but very kind of you.

As a kid, one of my Mate's Dad had a Triumph Herald and if my memory is correct we thought it was just like a Le Mans style racing car because the bonnet tilted forwards :):):)

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer of the programmes but I have a fair few already, but very kind of you.

As a kid, one of my Mate's Dad had a Triumph Herald and if my memory is correct we thought it was just like a Le Mans style racing car because the bonnet tilted forwards :):):)
Memory sketcy but remember playing home and away over Easter, could have been Christmas in the 60's, Hughie Mcilmoyle scored and announcer at Baseball ground asked Wolves fans to modify their language, think we won both games but could be wishful thinking.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

remember Heralds being one of the heaviest cars to push,separate chassis or something

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Memory sketcy but remember playing home and away over Easter, could have been Christmas in the 60's, Hughie Mcilmoyle scored and announcer at Baseball ground asked Wolves fans to modify their language, think we won both games but could be wishful thinking.
XMAS in our promotion year,won 5-3 and 3-0 at their dump

Reaction score
I remember that game well. Didn’t we play there in the league the week before or week after?

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that game well. Didn’t we play there in the league the week before or week after?
Cant remember, but remember Burnley in Cup and took 000's beaten by Kindon and co then following week in the league and 100s in the side, got quite tasty when we got a penalty and won, 1967 from memory :)

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant remember, but remember Burnley in Cup and took 000's beaten by Kindon and co then following week in the league and 100s in the side, got quite tasty when we got a penalty and won, 1967 from memory :)

3 years out I am afraid to tell you o_O o_O o_O

FA CUP 3rd Round
JAN 3rd 1970 Burnley 3 Wolves 0

JAN 10th 1970 Burnley 1 Wolves 3 Mike Bailey, Jim McCalliog, Mike O'Grady. Not only was as you say Steve Kindon in the Burnley starting line up a certain young winger called Dave Thomas was on the bench :):):) King of the comb-overs, Ralph Coates played for Burnley as well !!!!

In the September of that 1969/70 season on September 20th Wolves drew 1-1 at home to Burnley with Jim McCalliog scoring again.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 years out I am afraid to tell you o_O o_O o_O

FA CUP 3rd Round
JAN 3rd 1970 Burnley 3 Wolves 0

JAN 10th 1970 Burnley 1 Wolves 3 Mike Bailey, Jim McCalliog, Mike O'Grady. Not only was as you say Steve Kindon in the Burnley starting line up a certain young winger called Dave Thomas was on the bench :):):) King of the comb-overs, Ralph Coates played for Burnley as well !!!!

In the September of that 1969/70 season on September 20th Wolves drew 1-1 at home to Burnley with Jim McCalliog scoring again.
Memory **** these days , remember both games also having a bit of a stag do there before my wedding on 20th August 1974.

Back
Top Bottom