Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Derby takeover about to collapse

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
The promised funds to pay wages throughout the Summer have failed to arrive and it looks like the whole deal is about to collapse .
I don’t know what restrictions Derby are under or whether they will be allowed to carry on but with points penalties coming their way.
No doubt the players will just walk away and possibly Rooney too.
What a mess.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy to think back to that first season where Fosun took over and them running absolute rings around us at Molineux. We looked absolutely miles away from them. Funny how things turn out.

SuziQ

Reaction score
Seems the sticking point is that the previous owner still owns the ground and no deal has been done to buy it off him. Unless they can get that sorted it would appear that any sale can't go through.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a blink of an eye anyone can be in a derby situation. I feel for them because i can empathize with their situation through the wolves 82-85 experience.
At least we had jim melrose for a short time.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
As many of us will remember it is horrible being a fan waiting for news.When it happened to us we were reliant on the Express and Star and bits on Radio Birmingham (WM) because it was before the advent of Sky and social media.News was limited to say the least .
At least the Express and Star was a decent paper back then unlike the rag it is today .

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems the sticking point is that the previous owner still owns the ground and no deal has been done to buy it off him. Unless they can get that sorted it would appear that any sale can't go through.
Some similarities to Sacha Gaydamak at Portsmouth. Apparently he bought up all the waste ground and hard-standing around Fratton with a view to holding the future owners "to ransom" should they ever wanted to redevelop Fratton. They are shrewd business people for a reason I guess.

W

WasStefan

I wonder if Rooney is tempted to buy it?
I have wondered this. He could no doubt put a big amount of capital in himself and knows plenty of minted folk. Has there ever been an owner and manager of a football league club?

donwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
maybe Barry Fry at Peterborough, but could be wrong

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy to think back to that first season where Fosun took over and them running absolute rings around us at Molineux. We looked absolutely miles away from them. Funny how things turn out.
Yes and we should remember that when there is the clamour for big money halo signings and over spending
We have been virtually bust before and i dont want to be there again, and thats why i am content with Fosun’s sustainability approach.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes and we should remember that when there is the clamour for big money halo signings and over spending
We have been virtually bust before and i dont want to be there again, and thats why i am content with Fosun’s sustainability approach.
There is a massive divide between Fosun's so called sustainability approach to going bust - massive.
Do you really think if Fosun weren't running us we would probably go bust ?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As many of us will remember it is horrible being a fan waiting for news.When it happened to us we were reliant on the Express and Star and bits on Radio Birmingham (WM) because it was before the advent of Sky and social media.News was limited to say the least .
At least the Express and Star was a decent paper back then unlike the rag it is today .
I worked near the Royal Courts of Justice at the time and was in the court room. Talk about knife edge.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a massive divide between Fosun's so called sustainability approach to going bust - massive.
Do you really think if Fosun weren't running us we would probably go bust ?
If Morgan had not put us on an even keel before the sale to Fosun and if we had stayed in the Championship but tried to buy our way out of it as Derby did, then it is a possibility.
Did anyone really think that Derby, Bolton etc would be in the financial mess they are in?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely he/his consortium would just face the same problems the current buyer is.
That’s it, why would he want to?
Piles of debt, no assets.
Villa got so lucky with the goal line tech fail and HS2 that saved them, otherwise they’d have been bang in trouble with stadium sale.

The premier league is indeed big and shiny, but the amount that have jeopardised the whole future of the club on that gamble is insane.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Apparently, the owner spoke to Talksport off air (whilst playing Golf!) and there is no problem. Something to do with logistic issues over bank transfers. All a bit fishy.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember that well. We came back into second half but the first half they should have been 3 or 4 up. The absolute calamity show of Dominic Iorfa and Kortney Hause at the back.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember that well. We came back into second half but the first half they should have been 3 or 4 up. The absolute calamity show of Dominic Iorfa and Kortney Hause at the back.
Iorfa. Theres a blast from the past.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
is this the same American guy who was going to buy Preston NE only for that to fall at the last hurdle as he couldn’t come up with the cash ? if it’s the same guy and I am sure it is, it seems history is repeating itself here which is not surprising

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
is this the same American guy who was going to buy Preston NE only for that to fall at the last hurdle as he couldn’t come up with the cash ? if it’s the same guy and I am sure it is, it seems history is repeating itself here which is not surprising
It is

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually remember thinking he had potential. How wrong was I.

He did and was a very good player at that level for us for 1-2 seasons, Iorfa’s form did seriously dip though unfortunately.

Sheff Wed fans seem to speak highly of him, but he was held back due to injury.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes its the same guy, the same guy thats been in the running to take them over for months and months, now its time for the talking to stop and put his money where his mouth his or put another way put his hands in his pocket it seems the pockets might not be deep enough.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Apparently, the owner spoke to Talksport off air (whilst playing Golf!) and there is no problem. Something to do with logistic issues over bank transfers. All a bit fishy.

C7D551CB-5A64-48B6-AD44-F01F2619A666.jpeg
Photo of the current Derby owner.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a mate who used to come over from Ireland and we'd got to the Wolves v Derby games together when both in championship. The change in club fortunes have been stark - I remember going to the dire away match when Lambert was in charge and Cavaleiro got sent off. Saying that, there have been quite a few memorable games against Derby in the relatively recent years - the Keogh winner, the Neves goal at Molineux. Great memories. I lived in Derby for years and now on the Notts side of the M1 so always kept an eye out for them, and hope they get through the current mess.

Cant see us playing Derby again for a long time... But now Forest are up perhaps we'll get some memorable games against them next season - still remember the away game during our championship winning season and being blown away by Jota's performance.

Not sure anything stirs the memory quite like football...

Last edited:

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a mate who used to come over from Ireland and we'd got to the Wolves v Derby games together when both in championship. The change in club fortunes have been stark - I remember going to the dire away match when Lambert was in charge and Cavaleiro got sent off. Saying that, there have been quite a few memorable games against Derby in the relatively recent days - the Keogh winner, the Neves goal at Molineux. Great memories. I lived in Derby for years and now on the Notts side of the M1 so always kept an eye out for them, and hope they get through the current mess.

Cant see us playing Derby again for a long time... But now Forest are up perhaps we'll get some memorable games against them next season - still remember the away game during our championship winning season and being blown away by Jota's performance.

That Jota performance was on my 20th birthday, of which most of the day saw me by the loo bringing back up a hefty night's worth at various Sheffield pubs and clubs! :sweatsmile:

That win, for me, was the first big strike in our quest to get back up and made my listening to the game badly hungover very worth it in the end.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The promised funds to pay wages throughout the Summer have failed to arrive and it looks like the whole deal is about to collapse .
I don’t know what restrictions Derby are under or whether they will be allowed to carry on but with points penalties coming their way.
No doubt the players will just walk away and possibly Rooney too.
What a mess.
It's shocking how Rams fans, Rooney, and the players have been given such false assurances throughout the whole process.

If there isn't an urgent inquiry into this and how the EFL manages these things, then football can be declared on its deathbed.

I hope someone saves them, not least with them being one of the founding twelve EFL Members!

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
I don't remember derby, or anyone else for that matter, giving two hoots for us in the 80s..
Will the top 6 super rich give derby a helping hand ?
No chance.Get real. Football is a dog eat dog world with devil take the hindmost.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a mate who used to come over from Ireland and we'd got to the Wolves v Derby games together when both in championship. The change in club fortunes have been stark - I remember going to the dire away match when Lambert was in charge and Cavaleiro got sent off. Saying that, there have been quite a few memorable games against Derby in the relatively recent years - the Keogh winner, the Neves goal at Molineux. Great memories. I lived in Derby for years and now on the Notts side of the M1 so always kept an eye out for them, and hope they get through the current mess.

In terms of Forest I can still fondly recall the limbs at the City Ground when Kightly scored that winner back in 08/09. A Forest fan in the stand above us got so mad he offered out the entire away end. Incredible scenes. Knew promotion was in the bag that day. Tough game

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I certainly hope that we don't play Derby for a long time not least because l think that, if they hopefully do survive, they will be stuck in L1 for years.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I certainly hope that we don't play Derby for a long time not least because l think that, if they hopefully do survive, they will be stuck in L1 for years.
Not so sure, if they sort the ownership out they got a blank canvas to sort new players out.

Not like when other team come down and have high wages and unmotivated players. similar to when we got relegated Kenny started a fresh.

The first season will be key for them.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure, if they sort the ownership out they got a blank canvas to sort new players out.

Not like when other team come down and have high wages and unmotivated players. similar to when we got relegated Kenny started a fresh.

The first season will be key for them.
The catch is how much they can invest, given ongoing punishments and FFP, after the takeover and ground purchase (we didn't have to consider either).

The League One wage cap, introduced in 2020, is something that we didn't have to deal with either.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Ashley has many faults but he'd stabilise the club just as he did Newcastle.

They could do far worse, he would ensure derby's future doubt they'll be any sort of war chest but he is a safe pair of hands and will keep the club afloat.

Back
Top Bottom