Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Derby not involved?

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today's Daily Mail features another Martin Samuels article, this time with reference to PL clubs being nervous about the Mendes link.

The most interesting part however is the following:

Much like the protests against Wolves from within the Football League, this seems an overplayed hand. Derby, for instance, are more upset at being considered aligned with Aston Villa and Leeds, than with anything Wolves have done.

'We have no axe to grind with Wolves and appear to have been thrown into this debate for spurious reasons,' a Derby official told me last week. 'We don't support either of those other two clubs.'

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"With promotion increasingly certain, it appears some insecure Premier League clubs may be mobilising against Wolves, too. We can pretty much imagine who they are. The slow-witted, the bereft of ideas, those who fear relegation and wish to drag Wolves down to their level.

The claim is that Wolves' link to Jorge Mendes' company Gestifute and the number of his clients on the staff constitutes third party interference. Yet nothing in the Football Association, Football League or Premier League rule book prevents a club having a share in an agency, and there is no evidence Mendes interferes in team selection.

For Wolves to contravene regulations, therefore, it would need 14 clubs to vote to make agency ownership illegal - and how many want to risk upsetting one of the most influential advisors in the game."

Even if we got to the stage that 14/20 Premier League clubs voted to make agency ownership illegal, we will be fine.

Fosun own Wolves. A subsidiary of Fosun owns the holding company of Gestifute, Mendes' agency. There is no part of Wolverhampton Wanderers that owns any part of Gestifute.

As you were.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Which is more morally wrong ?
Man Utd shelling out £63M to agents ,which will never be seen back in the game,to sign 3 players-Pogba Lukaku and Sanchez ,or a club maximising the existing rules to bring in quality players in an attempt to improve itself and demonstrate it won’t just sit there in the corner whilst the cosy cartel continues to feed itself ad infintum on PL and Champions League riches which are self perpetuating and just make them bigger and bigger whilst suppressing ambition?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good for Derby - it really isolates Villa and Leeds and shows up their real motivations which are simply to de-stabilise a successful rival out of sheer jealousy and because of their own embarrassment at having spent multi -millions to produce virtually nothing.

N

Northamptonwolf

Be good if Derby actually made a statement to this effect to clarify matters

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes you wonder what rumours there are about us going around Premier league boardrooms?
What rumours are there about us going around Prem boardrooms?
Do we sneak in after hours? Pinch the left over sarnies? Nick the Pledge off the cleaner lol?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
The intention was to destabilise us.
Since the rumours and innuendo broke and reached its zenith
Wolves W 2 L 1
Villa W 1 L 2
Leeds W 0 D1 L 2
We have increased the gap to 13 points .
Rather than de-railing us we have kept our heads down ,our mouths shut and just got on with our job.
Anyone else want to add their four penneth because it ain’t working ?

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The intention was to destabilise us.
Since the rumours and innuendo broke and reached its zenith
Wolves W 2 L 1
Villa W 1 L 2
Leeds W 0 D1 L 2
We have increased the gap to 13 points .
Rather than de-railing us we have kept our heads down ,our mouths shut and just got on with our job.
Anyone else want to add their four penneth because it ain’t working ?

Exactly, I would also add that the media have actually backed us, particularly Martin Samuel. Perhaps they were hoping for more finger pointing at us when instead they’ve been accused of being pathetic and have had their failed management questioned.

Don’t think they got the response they wanted.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously I’m pleased this journalist has taken up the gauntlet on our behalf

By he keeps saying a club can own part of an agency

It’s not Wolves who own part of Gestifute but Fosun!

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Premier League has got wind of what Wolves have planned.

I may have mentioned before, but my friend is a football agent who works in Turkey and the Middle East. Agents are gossips, it's in their interests to gossip. Agents get a good idea of what clubs have planned. This Summer a lot of money is going to flow and that will be kick started by Real Madrid. When a big club goes big there is a knock on effect that can filter all the way through Europe where players suddenly become available or clubs are quickly in receipt of large sums of cash to spend on replacing players they've sold for a lot of money.

Wolves are at ground zero in terms of building a squad for the Premier League but the players that are or will be 'in play' in the Summer are very different to the type that Wolves were looking at last time round in the Premier League. However, with Man Utd managed by a Portuguese who is also linked to Mendes and the recent announcement of Michael Carrick retiring, they'll be looking for a long term replacement for a high quality, passing midfielder. A club like Utd can afford to wait and take a look at a player, fully in the knowledge that their price will likely more than double/treble if they prove themselves. So them being linked to players like Neves and Sessengnon might not be acted on immediately unless other big clubs also make a move for any of their top targets. It's important to remember that sometimes keeping hold of players is just as important as signing new ones and sometimes it's just as expensive when you renew a contract with a wanted player.

What Wolves will have is 1. The Premier League. 2. Ambition. 3. Money. 4. A very influential and well connected deal maker in Jorge Mendes.

My productivity this Summer is going to be terrible. Remember when Talisca seemed like fantasy? Doesn't now does it!

R

Redwolf

Today's Daily Mail features another Martin Samuels article, this time with reference to PL clubs being nervous about the Mendes link.

Much like the protests against Wolves from within the Football League, this seems an overplayed hand. Derby, for instance, are more upset at being considered aligned with Aston Villa and Leeds, than with anything Wolves have done.

'We have no axe to grind with Wolves and appear to have been thrown into this debate for spurious reasons,' a Derby official told me last week. 'We don't support either of those other two clubs.'
got a link to this article Marrs-Guitar?

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a unique model which looks very advantageous, so Prem clubs will want to know... .
1 if the model is not in breach of the rules &
2 can it be replicated

We are McDonald's..
There might be a few burger Kings cropping up.
But Burger King will never beat the original momentum and perfect storm of the innovator it strives to copy.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought I was a bit unhinged because I saw so much in Wolverhampton Wanderers that could be used to make a great English team.
Thats why the last 25 years of not getting in to the Premiership hurt.
Now these Premiership clubs can see that we have the best business and football brains also deciding Wolves are a perfect vehicle to conquer English and European football.
PSV - how were they chosen ?
They should be worried .
Fosun - Mendes - Wolves are going to gate crash that cosy party and thats going to be EXPLOSIVE !

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Premier League has got wind of what Wolves have planned.

I may have mentioned before, but my friend is a football agent who works in Turkey and the Middle East. Agents are gossips, it's in their interests to gossip. Agents get a good idea of what clubs have planned. This Summer a lot of money is going to flow and that will be kick started by Real Madrid. When a big club goes big there is a knock on effect that can filter all the way through Europe where players suddenly become available or clubs are quickly in receipt of large sums of cash to spend on replacing players they've sold for a lot of money.

Wolves are at ground zero in terms of building a squad for the Premier League but the players that are or will be 'in play' in the Summer are very different to the type that Wolves were looking at last time round in the Premier League. However, with Man Utd managed by a Portuguese who is also linked to Mendes and the recent announcement of Michael Carrick retiring, they'll be looking for a long term replacement for a high quality, passing midfielder. A club like Utd can afford to wait and take a look at a player, fully in the knowledge that their price will likely more than double/treble if they prove themselves. So them being linked to players like Neves and Sessengnon might not be acted on immediately unless other big clubs also make a move for any of their top targets. It's important to remember that sometimes keeping hold of players is just as important as signing new ones and sometimes it's just as expensive when you renew a contract with a wanted player.

What Wolves will have is 1. The Premier League. 2. Ambition. 3. Money. 4. A very influential and well connected deal maker in Jorge Mendes.

My productivity this Summer is going to be terrible. Remember when Talisca seemed like fantasy? Doesn't now does it!

Exciting times JC

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh through this whole affair there hasn't been a word out of Derby County so I am not surprised to see this. I'm not even sure why they were mentioned in the first place. Guess work by some journalists?

D

Deleted member 3573J

Laughable that people think PL clubs will be chomping at the bit to **** off Mendes. The most powerful football agent going. They will fall in line.

In my view the rich would sell their granny for a fiver, money isn't necessarily their king, but power definitely is. It's no different to football clubs, 15 years ago you could count on the fingers of one hand the powerful clubs in football and still have enough left to show one to Steve Bruce. Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid & Bayern Munich were the big boys taking any player in world football they wanted. Then came along Chelsea muscling their way in, remember Ferguson's comedy line that they bought the league? Later on Man City and PSG forced their way to the top table, is it a coincidence that FFP has come in since these 3 started seriously splashing the cash? All FFP is about is keeping the status quo at the top of football and trying to make sure it's as difficult as possible for anyone else to join the top table. Whenever one does join, the others power at the top is reduced.

The elite clubs wouldn't think twice about ****ing off Jorge Mendes if Wolves represent a serious threat to their power, they know he wouldn't be able to resist a £100m deal if they put one on his table anyway. Jorge operates in that circle of power so he's not going to cut his nose off because they attempted to throw a spanner in Wolves' progress.

Nige

Reaction score
We have a unique model which looks very advantageous, so Prem clubs will want to know... .
1 if the model is not in breach of the rules &
2 can it be replicated

We are McDonald's..
There might be a few burger Kings cropping up.
But Burger King will never beat the original momentum and perfect storm of the innovator it strives to copy.
Burger King Came from Wimpy Which was originally bigger and better than MacDonald's and the first. Not that it matters I get where your coming from.. (burger King is in my opinion still better but more expensive)

E

E is for idiot.

Burger King Came from Wimpy Which was originally bigger and better than MacDonald's and the first. Not that it matters I get where your coming from.. (burger King is in my opinion still better but more expensive)

It has nothing on Five Guys though.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Come on you Rams! Just smash Cardiff in the replay and I will elevate my liking of your team alongside Holloway's QPR!! :D

P

paddy

Derby
News article
Ceo being sued for fiddling contracts with agents
Cleary not copying our model and have screwed up themselves big time

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Derby
News article
Ceo being sued for fiddling contracts with agents
Cleary not copying our model and have screwed up themselves big time
Ha, serves them right

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Derby to go on a late run winning 8 and losing 1 (to Wolves) and finishing on 86 pts, 1 point above 3rd placed Cardiff lol
Happy for Cardiff to go up with us, as Colin has been complimentary to the club and us fans (he appreciates the **** and massive downs we have experienced).

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my view the rich would sell their granny for a fiver, money isn't necessarily their king, but power definitely is. It's no different to football clubs, 15 years ago you could count on the fingers of one hand the powerful clubs in football and still have enough left to show one to Steve Bruce. Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid & Bayern Munich were the big boys taking any player in world football they wanted. Then came along Chelsea muscling their way in, remember Ferguson's comedy line that they bought the league? Later on Man City and PSG forced their way to the top table, is it a coincidence that FFP has come in since these 3 started seriously splashing the cash? All FFP is about is keeping the status quo at the top of football and trying to make sure it's as difficult as possible for anyone else to join the top table. Whenever one does join, the others power at the top is reduced.

The elite clubs wouldn't think twice about ****ing off Jorge Mendes if Wolves represent a serious threat to their power, they know he wouldn't be able to resist a £100m deal if they put one on his table anyway. Jorge operates in that circle of power so he's not going to cut his nose off because they attempted to throw a spanner in Wolves' progress.
I don't think it will be as simple as carrot dangled Mendes bites! Fosun will have a strategy and then some (plan b, c, etc.). Like all successful businesses those alternative strategies will be based on 'what if we cannot rely on Mr Super Agent'. Add in their buying power and at the very least we should be looking upwards in The Prem rather than downwards. The future is gonna be extremely interesting. There is absolutely more room at the top and why not for an ex-powerhouse of English/European football. We fans might need to change our mindset. Stop worrying about what other clubs might/might not do and realise we are in a completely different scenario than say when Sir Jack took over, although that was a massive missed opportunity. No disrespect to Sir Jack who I am eternally grateful for what he did for Wolves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom