Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

DAZN leaves Canada….use Fubotv instead

McSteen

Groupie
Reaction score
Sigh, that's cheap!
Here in Finland I pay 39,95 a month for my Viasat Premium package. It does include extras though; Film channels, history, nature, kids channels etc, but I think I could get it for 34,95€ if I only got the footie.
It seems we are getting ripped off here, compared to what others pay for the service!?
Even worse here in Norway 62,42€/month for the Viaplay Total package, which is actually a bit down from last year when TV2 had the rights. Each round a game including a "big 6" team will be shown for free on an open channel which is fair.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
I use NHL.TV for the ice hockey and it’s great except it blacks out the live games shown on Sky Deutschland which isn’t too big of a drama due to the time difference. I’m always watching the games the following evening anyway.

Can someone who knows far more than I do explain to me why the PL hasn’t bothered launching its own streaming service?

T

TheConcourse

I use NHL.TV for the ice hockey and it’s great except it blacks out the live games shown on Sky Deutschland which isn’t too big of a drama due to the time difference. I’m always watching the games the following evening anyway.

Can someone who knows far more than I do explain to me why the PL hasn’t bothered launching its own streaming service?
Unsure. Guess the PL generates enough through Sky who have the infrastructure to make it less of a pain?

Assuming Sky/BT only monetise through subscriptions and ad revenue?

I’d pay more just to subscribe to Wolves games via a streaming service. No issue paying £30-£40 a month for access to Wolves home and away.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can get all the Sky Sports channels on Now TV for £34.99 a month. Less if you pick up an offer and threaten to cancel at the end. I’ve been paying £15-17pm for the last 10 months, which isn’t too bad.

Seems to be a lot of people streaming on fire sticks now though. Cost of living makes it no surprise really, but broadcasting in this country is really due a big shake-up. Pretty sure palms are being greased to stop the PL launching their own service.

Now TV is certainly an option if you only want Sports. Sky are very much old school when it comes to subscription prices for existing customers. If you don’t pick up the phone, and haggle at the end of your contract, you’re going to get gouged as the Americans would say. I’m currently all in with them - phone, four mobile sims, fibre broadband, sky tv inc l sports, movies and Netflix. Not cheap, but haggling on the phone reduced it by a third compared to my prior bill. When you look at the total cost, it’s actually decent value if you haggle. Start with the best new customer deal that fits your needs, and they will normally match that for a contract renewal.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Now tv do deals for sky sports I paid £19.99 per month for the season. It’s normally 34.99.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peacock in the US is good value at £4.99 a month and they show most games.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing that, in England, we pay more to watch English football on TV than other nations around the world? That stinks.

They will say it's the price to subsidise a great product, if you want to retain it.
They still have the problem of the 3pm rule too and trying to sustain the lower leagues by protecting their crowds....it's a peculiarly British thing that i don't think can last forever. How much extra money would be generated if they showed every game live in the UK, and they could chuck some at the lower leagues to play at other times?

If you look to America and the NFL, they have a huge college system that generates around $20 billion USD per year underpinning the NFL, every NFL game is shown live, yet they still sellout every game. They are way advanced.
You look at lower league clubs and non-league UK clubs relying on sub-500 gates, local sponsorship and a raffle....there just isn't enough interest in the product, so why are we protecting it? Most good players are tapped up and into academies, we rarely see great players breaking through from non-league anymore, Kilman excepted for us, Jamie Vardy's are very rare.

Last edited:

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looked, seems decent.

It's great for watching Australian sport live, but we also pick up a lot of foreign rights on the cheap because of the time zones.
Where Optus say they have a million subscribers for EPL, I'd be willing to bet most of those are dedicated fans who only want to watch their own team live, then pick up the goals highlights at their convenience.
If you don't support them, nobody is going to get up at 2am on a Monday morning to watch Brighton v Crystal Palace, when in England you might sit through that on a Sunday afternoon just for something to do and end up watching multiple games a week.

The winter/summer clock changes in both countries also affect it and make midweek games a bit awkward....where I live we're either 9 or 11 hours ahead and we have 2 time swaps across a season. It has a different affect on your working day watching a game that starts at 4.45am or 6.45am. 4.45am's make you tireder, 6.45am's make you late for work !

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Keep the discussion to official channels subscriptions please, not dodgy unofficial/illegal ones.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hello any Canadians…….
here is a link to Fuboltv regarding watching the PL next season.
They have a discount if you sign up before the end of June.

Sorry people, just wanted to bump this again as someone might miss it.

wolfinexile

Reaction score
I made sure I got a confirmation email.

finally some sun, eh? ……lol.
I have also cancelled Dazn. Their renewal notice made no mention of end of Prem coverage. However, they do still have the European competitions and lower English leagues. Fubo has a very clunky looking web site and you have to remember to record games that you cannot watch live. Not an entirely good deal but the half price until end of June helps.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have also cancelled Dazn. Their renewal notice made no mention of end of Prem coverage. However, they do still have the European competitions and lower English leagues. Fubo has a very clunky looking web site and you have to remember to record games that you cannot watch live. Not an entirely good deal but the half price until end of June helps.
Dang…..I didn’t think of having to record games I want to watch later.
I better look at the fine print.

BTW, may I ask where are you in Canada?

wolfinexile

Reaction score
Dang…..I didn’t think of having to record games I want to watch later.
I better look at the fine print.

BTW, may I ask where are you in Canada?
Yes--other end from you in Nova Scotia.

Seems to be easy enough to set record as there is button next to the game in the schedule but you do have to remember to push the button. I suppose there will be an advantage over dazn in that the game will be available immediately after it has finished whereas Dazn usually had an annoying time lag. I don't think that Fubo is putting up the scores on the website to make it difficult to watch delayed games without knowing the score. You can get Italian, Spanish, and Canadian league (wow!) on Fubo as it includes Bein International and Now games. No boxing though. Non sports offerings are pretty useless--clapped out CBC shows etc.

If you want Euro games or Championship, you will have to continue with Dazn, thus doubling the fee. Will probably wait until Wolves are in the Champions League season after next (add a happy face or a deluded smirk).

Back
Top Bottom