Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dave Jones... no smoke without fire

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was browsing the books in WH Smith in Halesowen yesterday and found Dave Jones's autobiography No Smoke Without Fire. Not sure if this has been out a while or if its fairly new but didn't know about it myself.

Seemed to contain a lot of typical Jones paranoia and victim mentality though I guess this isn't surpising given what he went through with his family.

Naturally I skipped the Everton, Stockport, Southampton and court case chapters to get to the Wolves one and Jones describes how he was desperate to get back into football and things were slow until he got calls about 3 jobs. 2 of which were ourselves and Norwich City. Can't remember the 3rd.

Jones was contacted by Moxey and given an address in London to attend an interview. As he was arriving Dave Bassett came towards him, obviously having just been interviewed. Jones felt the interview didn't go well at all and that he had blown it. He went for an interview with Norwich and if Delia had offered him the job he would have accepted it on the spot and he would never have come to Wolves.

She didn't. Then he received a call from Jez asking him how he felt the interview had gone. He was honest and said he felt it hadn't gone too well at all. Jez then told him they disagreed and offered him the job. He accepted.

Minutes after accepting the Wolves job Norwich were in touch offering him the job at Carrow Road. He turned it down as he had by then given his word to Wolves.

I may buy the book as I would like to read more about his time at Wolves to see if I can gain any insight to life behind the scenes at Molineux.

Coleshill Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It's a good read, doesnt give you a lot more about behind the scenes - although as pointed out on here before it is quite interesting when he discussed transfer budgets upon gaining promotion..

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I saw there was a chapter coming up on that kind of thing which I thought might make for interesting reading plus Jones had a fairly varied career including time in Hong Kong which may be interesting so I think its worth a go

J

jayeff17

I bought it when it came out I was intreged to know why the first thing DJ did when we got promoted was to sack John Ward his assistant but he never said he never metioned him not bad when in the rest of the book its how badly he has been trated.
John Ward muddled through he is now manager at Colchester United

:cool::cool::cool:

P

PeteWolf

Are the happy clappers still blaming DJ for breaking non-disclosure or asking why it was there in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom