Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Current squad forecast league position

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could stick with the back 3 - but

1) it has to be a back 3 not a back 5

2) the wing backs average position when we have the ball needs to half way inside the opposition half

3) all 3 centre backs need to push higher up the pitch and pinch the ball in central areas. We did this in the first 3 games then seemed to stop .

It has to be aggressive . And we have to support the front 3 by getting players so much closer to them.

To do that we need a much more mobile midfielder next to neves, and the wingbacks far higher up the pitch, and a better CB with this aggression . Gomes has done well so far with this attribute
I agree with all that.

:)

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman gomes or boly .

The way we’ve played it the last two seasons has more often than that been a back 5. The wing backs are playing as attacking full backs not wing backs.

Compare it to Chelsea and spurs who almost use wing backs as wingers.
See I wouldn’t trust any of them to play in a four, they have no experience.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

You could stick with the back 3 - but

1) it has to be a back 3 not a back 5

2) the wing backs average position when we have the ball needs to half way inside the opposition half

3) all 3 centre backs need to push higher up the pitch and pinch the ball in central areas. We did this in the first 3 games then seemed to stop .

It has to be aggressive . And we have to support the front 3 by getting players so much closer to them.

To do that we need a much more mobile midfielder next to neves, and the wingbacks far higher up the pitch, and a better CB with this aggression . Gomes has done well so far with this attribute
All of our current back 3 though have little pace so we are extremely susceptible to just a basic ball over the top to any player with a tiny bit of pace. Hence why we sit deep as ****.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So either way, we need a CB and CM
They will never get experience if we don’t adjust though.

Unless you’d rather kilman signs for someone else so we can watch him excel in a 4 for them !
Not at all, I’d rather we tried Coady and Kilman, accept we may concede a few but see if his defensive prowess and coady’s reading of the game and distribution makes an effective partnership.

Or Coady and another defender.

Too easy to jettison Coady imo.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I understand the desire to go four at the back I am not 100% convinced its really holding us back that much. I think having very defensive midfielders and non-scoring strikers has a lot more to do with our problems as well.

Imagine replacing Moutinho with Gündogan and Jiminez with kane - a flight of fancy I know, but you would probably add 20 goals a season to the current side.

When I started writing this post I had it in my mind that non-scoring wing backs was also an issue, thinking how we miss Doc's goals and assists. I have never been a fan of Semedo. He was a **** poor defender season before last and an even worse at goal contributions, I accept he has improved but he was never worth what we paid. I still maintain half the full backs in the championship would have the same stats given the chance. Having said that I don't now think non-scoring fullbacks is the cause of our issues, Cornet at Burnley scored 9 and in the list I saw it actually said Saiss on 2 was in the top 10 of goal scoring 'full backs' but what is absolutely central is non-chance creating wingbacks. At Liverpool TAA and Robertson created 22 goals between them, and shock horror - Doc created 4, double that of what both Semedo and Marcel created together.

If we are going to play three at the back there is an argument we need better wingbacks (or midfielders that can pick them out and strikers that can put the chances away).

I am not against four at the back, I just think we have bigger problems - mainly not scoring strikers and midfielders.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all, I’d rather we tried Coady and Kilman, accept we may concede a few but see if his defensive prowess and coady’s reading of the game and distribution makes an effective partnership.

Don’t get me wrong, more than happy for him to have a chance - but I think he is far too slow , and his 1 vs 1 defending is the worst out of any of our defenders

The reality is we need a new CB - then it’s a shoot out to who’s best placed next to them….. that’s what pre season is for

CologneWolf

Reaction score

It remains to be seen if any of our defenders can successfully play in a 4 sufficient enough for this level.

A new starting CB will come in to top up the 11 and along with Kilman, play either side of Coady in a 3. Gomes and Boly as cover.

In a 4, Coady would be my least preferred option to partner a new CB. And if God forbid a new CB does not arrive, it should be Kilman and Boly together as first choice.

In an ideal world if an offer comes in for Coady we take it.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s say we kept a three at the back.

How would a Gomez / Lindelof player suit? Or do you want younger with higher ceiling?

For midfield, alongside Neves in a two, would you want a Winks type more defensive player, or a more forward thinking type like a Tielemans?

All issues for me point to ineffective wide players, an on form Neto with another signing, and podence Hwang etc and back up looks ok.
I want Ben Mee for centre back. He's got quite a few years of premier league experience in a side that has mostly had a I don't see the point of adding another kid to the group in that area when we have Kilman, Mosquera, Toti and Sanderson.

Midfield wise would depend on what we are doing. I want a box to box player, more Tielemans if we are sticking with the formation. If we go to a back 4 I'd want more of a holding player, but one with more pace than someone like Palinha. Norgarrd at Brentford would be premier league example.
If we plan to go 4-4-2 I'd want another out and out striker. If we are sticking with the status quo(which i have no qualms with by the way) I'd want another Jota.
Everything else depends on who leaves. Depending on what system we choose and who wants our players there is room to manoeuvre in a few places, but we can also stick in those places too. I think we are fine at wing-back. Having Neto back should help with the creativity problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom