Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Current squad forecast league position

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where will the current squad as it stands finish?

Be interesting to compare to the end of transfer window

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
10/11 slightly stronger with a rejuvenated MGW in

We need goals though. GOALS!

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ive put 11-14 for the squad as it stands, its considerably weaker than the one that finished the season, but hopefully puts fire in the belly of those that were bit part players last season. With semedo injured there are opportunitys for chiquinho and bolla at rwb. The return of mgw, im hoping silva gets more game time he needs a mgw type to feed his runs. Cundle intergrated more, we could have a more youthful first team.
Heres hoping. UTW

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
15th to 17th as things stand, we were poor by almost every metric last season and overachieved in terms of our final league position, mainly thanks to Jose Sa's first half of the season heroics. Enough quality to stay up but I think we'd struggle to achieve a comfortable midtable finish this time around.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite a difference between that and reality! I have never been convinced of the reliability of this stat.

Well, it shows how much Sa carried us and most of our wins came in games where on paper we shouldn't have won.

It's a stat based on date of likely hood of a goal from that shot.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Can't see the point in this. Assuming Mouts doesn't count as being in the squad, we'd struggle to even put out a team. If we really did play with the squad currently under contract I think we'd probably be relegated. Thankfully there's no way that will happen (crosses everththing!)

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Well, it shows how much Sa carried us and most of our wins came in games where on paper we shouldn't have won.

It's a stat based on date of likely hood of a goal from that shot.
I’m gonna bust out the ole game isn’t played on paper cliche here.

Not one for the xG caper myself. I understand how it can be of use and why some people find it valuable but at the end of the day the only stat that matters to me in regards to Wolves is the points total.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve gone 11-14th as that’s probably where we should have finished last season by rights.

The only genuine area we’re weaker in than last season currently is CB with Saiss gone. We have Sanderson back who isn’t likely to match Saiss at his best (yet?) but Saiss wasn’t at his best towards the end of the season so is he much weaker?

Trincao obviously isn’t part of the “current” squad but in his place Traore and MGW are so arguably we’re stronger up top.

If Moutinho is classed as part of the current squad (you’d assume he’ll sign unless we don’t want him to for whatever reason) then Midfield whilst clearly still weak is no weaker than last season.

So you could argue we’re currently not in a worse position than we were in May on paper, but clearly the squad needs freshening and whilst we could finish 11-14th with the existing squad, it’d be nice if the football was actually more enjoyable whilst doing so.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bottom with 4 points. Everything is ****, the club is awful, Fosun couldn't run a bath, we have no money, it's all been a lie......

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said 15-17 last season, go for the same this season.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see the point in this. Assuming Mouts doesn't count as being in the squad, we'd struggle to even put out a team. If we really did play with the squad currently under contract I think we'd probably be relegated. Thankfully there's no way that will happen (crosses everththing!)
That isn't true though is it?

Sa
Kilman Coady Boly
Jonny Neves Dendonker Ait Nouri
Traore Raul Neto

Podence
Chiquinho
Gibbs-White
Fabio Silva
Cundle
Mosquera
Toti
Hwang
And semedo unavailable.

Yeah we need to add 3/4 but that isn't awful by any means.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this, sadly. We were awful after January/February last season and not much better on several occasions before, Brentford, Palace away etc. It seems we can't score unless our opposition makes a mistake and our creativity was almost non existent. We desperately need a new spine of the team, Sa excepted.
However, with 3 good additions in the spine, we could be top 10.
Jeff won't get this wrong, surely?......

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
That isn't true though is it?

Sa
Kilman Coady Boly
Jonny Neves Dendonker Ait Nouri
Traore Raul Neto

Podence
Chiquinho
Gibbs-White
Fabio Silva
Cundle
Mosquera
Toti
Hwang
And semedo unavailable.

Yeah we need to add 3/4 but that isn't awful by any means.
You've nearly persuaded me. To be fair I'd sort of written Traore off, but strictly yes. Neves and Donck sometimes makes a midfield. Hopefully Kilman continues to perform and the old Boly (not the new erratic model) turns up. Then Jonny and Neto are fully recovered and Raul finds his old form. If all that goes to plan we might even be top half, I'll relax! Don't get me started on the bench though!

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Say we just add two- a Palhinha type and a Collins type, then switch to a 433. Does anyone think that team gets relegated?

Or does anyone think that team scores less than a goal per game?
LINEUP111656047974374.png

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to this one from Fbref we'd be relegated if games finished according to the xGs
But games don’t finish according to expected goals.
I’m not saying we don’t need to improve our attacking prowess as clearly we do, but what I am saying is look at other stats too and be balanced.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Say we just add two- a Palhinha type and a Collins type, then switch to a 433. Does anyone think that team gets relegated?

View attachment 28514
This is here I struggle.
Happy to jettison Coady from the team for Kilman who has less experience in a two, and Collins who got relegated, and is inexperienced yet talented.

Genuinely think we need to worry about the front three before anything else, and a misediekder capable of breaking the line.

MGW played further forward last season.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One centre back and one centre mid would suffice IMO
Let’s say we kept a three at the back.

How would a Gomez / Lindelof player suit? Or do you want younger with higher ceiling?

For midfield, alongside Neves in a two, would you want a Winks type more defensive player, or a more forward thinking type like a Tielemans?

All issues for me point to ineffective wide players, an on form Neto with another signing, and podence Hwang etc and back up looks ok.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More about consistent depth. One or two injuries to key players and we are frankly ****ed.

Irony about last season was 80% of the season the team picked itself, with little choice. That was when our best form was and we looked like competing with the top 6.

Soon as we had a little bit of depth and competition, was when Bruno came a little unstuck.

I don't think he or we for that matter truly know our best side.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But games don’t finish according to expected goals.
I’m not saying we don’t need to improve our attacking prowess as clearly we do, but what I am saying is look at other stats too and be balanced.

I get that but it's saying that we got most our points in games we shouldn't. Sa was statistically the best keeper in the world last season. It's extremely unlikely he'll do that again. We have a defense that needs so much help because it's poor, a midfield with no legs or goals and forwards that are lacking goals.

I'd have our squad as bottom 5 right now. Especially because we are unable to shake things up and it's got incredibly stale.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have gone for 15-17th as we stand now. We simply don't score enough goals - well we didn't last season.

There is an argument that Jiminez may be better after a rest and a fit Neto and confident MGW will improve the goals before we add to the squad, but that is by no means certain.

The question was where will the current squad finish, well the lack of goals, poor form, lack of squad depth, and lack of squad refresh leads me to think a season of struggle is likely.

Retaining Neves and Moutinho and adding just three more players could improve that to 11 - 14th.

Let's say we just added these

Nathan Collins
Nunes
Seferovic

I think we would probably finish between 8th - 12th because Nunes would drive us up the pitch a bit more, but MGW, Neto, Jiminez, Silva, and podence would have be better in front of goal to get anywhere 8th.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s say we kept a three at the back.

How would a Gomez / Lindelof player suit? Or do you want younger with higher ceiling?

For midfield, alongside Neves in a two, would you want a Winks type more defensive player, or a more forward thinking type like a Tielemans?

All issues for me point to ineffective wide players, an on form Neto with another signing, and podence Hwang etc and back up looks ok.
We need a centre back to enable a move to a back 4

The back 3 simply doesn’t work to score goals , and doesn’t benefit our better attacking players at all. They look ineffective because they are isolated , often find themselves against 2 defenders with the closest wolves player 50 yards away.

We may not concede goals , but it is dull .

We will be nowhere near top 7 this season so we may as well be a team that scores some goals

A centre back - someone like gomes would be good , although injury prone. We need someone that can read the game with a bit of pace and mobility back there.

Midfield - we need mobility again. Someone box to box to supplement neves who can sit deep - with Mgw in a more advanced role off the striker.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a centre back to enable a move to a back 4

The back 3 simply doesn’t work to score goals , and doesn’t benefit our better attacking players at all. They look ineffective because they are isolated , often find themselves against 2 defenders with the closest wolves player 50 yards away.

We may not concede goals , but it is dull .

We will be nowhere near top 7 this season so we may as well be a team that scores some goals

A centre back - someone like gomes would be good , although injury prone. We need someone that can read the game with a bit of pace and mobility back there.

Midfield - we need mobility again. Someone box to box to supplement neves who can sit deep - with Mgw in a more advanced role off the striker.
Do you thinking is back 3 in general, or just how we played it last season?

Who would you partner the new cb with in a back 4?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Kilman gomes or boly .

The way we’ve played it the last two seasons has more often than that been a back 5. The wing backs are playing as attacking full backs not wing backs.

Compare it to Chelsea and spurs who almost use wing backs as wingers.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Voted 15-17. Think the current squad would again average a goal a game with the likelyhood of more goals conceded, meaning a bigger struggle for points this coming season.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th-15th

A fully fit Neto will be a huge plus. But potentional for ideas to get stale.
We are what we are. To good to go down, too bad to be good.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

View attachment 28514
I’d take that purely as I think it’s as far as our ambitions can be pushed.
I said we would finish 10th-12th Las season, this season though as it currently stands I think around 15th-17th making for an uncomfortable season.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You could stick with the back 3 - but

1) it has to be a back 3 not a back 5

2) the wing backs average position when we have the ball needs to half way inside the opposition half

3) all 3 centre backs need to push higher up the pitch and pinch the ball in central areas. We did this in the first 3 games then seemed to stop .

It has to be aggressive . And we have to support the front 3 by getting players so much closer to them.

To do that we need a much more mobile midfielder next to neves, and the wingbacks far higher up the pitch, and a better CB with this aggression . Gomes has done well so far with this attribute

Back
Top Bottom