Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Consider this...

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
In our promotion season two of our favourite players were Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaliero.

Now we have Hwang and Trincao.

I would choose the former over the latter every day of the week.

Both Costa and Cav scored regularly and got assists, bot were much more effective than Hwang and Trincao.

The manager and club both say they are only bringing in players to improve the squad. But this comparison shows that to be not true.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In our promotion season two of our favourite players were Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaliero.

Both Costa and Cav scored regularly and got assists, bot were much more effective than Hwang and Trincao.

The manager and club both say they are only bringing in players to improve the squad. But this comparison shows that to be not true.
In effect swapping Diogo for Fabio kind of disproves that theory, doubt anyone believes that the squad was strenghthened for the following season by selling a proven International for a kid who may or may not deliver in x years time.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are a player laundering outfit not a traditional football club in the old fashioned sense so this is what the future will be as long as Fosun are in charge. If we get any success it will be a welcome side effect. Fosun will drop us like a stone when it suits which I hope is sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved both players, esp Cav. I've banged on on here about the Club stagnating but this thread is further evidence, if it was needed, that we've got rid of good players and brought in lesser ones. I pray when Neves goes we get cash up front and we use those funds to buy 2 quality replacements.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are a player laundering outfit not a traditional football club in the old fashioned sense so this is what the future will be as long as Fosun are in charge. If we get any success it will be a welcome side effect. Fosun will drop us like a stone when it suits which I hope is sooner rather than later.
So how does this "player laundering" scam work then? Can't quite see the business model you are alluding to myself. Who are the victims?
Did we do badly out of the laundering of Nerves? Or is it Moutinio where we were taken for a ride? Jota? Patricio? Sa? Or is it the fiendishly clever scheme that Fosun have set up to make millions out of the Traore situation? (Hope so!)
I would not claim that every bit of player trading has worked out so far, Fabio and Hwang have yet to prove successful strategies, but I don't really see how we have been greatly disadvantaged, as a football club, by Fosun ownership? Using the ludicrous concept of player "worth" as a way of competing within the circus of international club football seems as good a strategy as any to me. The problem comes when you don't do it well enough.
Of course we could still be "traditional football club" in the lower half of the Championship. What is the alternative? Why would the next Saudi prince or American "Sports Syndicate" be a better option? Russians are out as owners now and North Korea don't have the capital.

More to the point, even if being a vanity project for some dodgy millionaire was preferable, why would they be interested in Wolves, as opposed to some other club? We are not the fashionable choice I suspect.
Who could Fosun sell to that would meet your requirements and what would be the upside? Yes, there may be a Wolverhampton born tax exile somewhere who wants to squander a few million, but I think we have already tried that option. So what is the answer?

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No way is that the case.
Way off the mark.
Waste of a post.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you dont call promotion,Europe and 3 top half finishes success?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, good idea. Who had you got in mind as new owners?

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved Cav. Recently watched our best goals from that championship season he was heavily involved with some great moments

Trincao has more potential than all of them but when or if he realises it is up to him

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved Cav. Recently watched our best goals from that championship season he was heavily involved with some great moments

Trincao has more potential than all of them but when or if he realises it is up to him
Yeah I think Trincao's ceiling is really high, not there yet

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Has to be said though, Costa and Cav weren't 'swapped' for Hwang and Trincao, they were replaced by Neto and Podence, and they're both upgrades

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The cynic in me wholeheartedly agrees with this.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I loved both Costa and Cavaleiro, but the key aspect you’re missing is that they scored regularly and got assists in the championship, not the premier league,

In the premier league Costa got 1 goal and 2 assists, Cavaleiro got 3 goals 1 assist.

Hwang has 5 goals 1 assist and Trincao has 2 goals and 1 assist.

Whilst both Hwang and Trincao need to be offering far more for us, I don’t doubt both would score and assist regularly in the championship like Costa and Cav did.

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fosun are great mate. Rather have fosun doing their thing than Morgan and moxey scratting round the championship in mid table

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still yelling "Just ****ing shoot" at Cav for trying that stupid stepover trick late in the semi final, shame that thats the last real memory I've got of him in a Wolves shirt, as I loved him before that.

Costa, God knows what happened to him after that random ankle injury he suffered. Most players would have brushed off that kind of injury, but it seems to have completely changed him.

At the end of the day though, I can't see either Hwang or Trincao ever being nearly as effective as either as Cav or Costa, no matter what division we're in. I'm seeing Wolves fans on Twitter saying of Trincao that there's a player in there somewhere. Well sorry, the only player I can see is one who shows the odd gllimpse of greatness, but more often goes missing and wimps out of 60/40 tackles. And Hwang is blatantly just a publicity engine for the South Korean market, we could forgive th)at if he weighed in with 10-15 goals a season, but he's only got 4 or 5, not really taking us up a level!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So how does this "player laundering" scam work then? Can't quite see the business model you are alluding to myself. Who are the victims?
Did we do badly out of the laundering of Nerves? Or is it Moutinio where we were taken for a ride? Jota? Patricio? Sa? Or is it the fiendishly clever scheme that Fosun have set up to make millions out of the Traore situation? (Hope so!)
I would not claim that every bit of player trading has worked out so far, Fabio and Hwang have yet to prove successful strategies, but I don't really see how we have been greatly disadvantaged, as a football club, by Fosun ownership? Using the ludicrous concept of player "worth" as a way of competing within the circus of international club football seems as good a strategy as any to me. The problem comes when you don't do it well enough.
Of course we could still be "traditional football club" in the lower half of the Championship. What is the alternative? Why would the next Saudi prince or American "Sports Syndicate" be a better option? Russians are out as owners now and North Korea don't have the capital.

More to the point, even if being a vanity project for some dodgy millionaire was preferable, why would they be interested in Wolves, as opposed to some other club? We are not the fashionable choice I suspect.
Who could Fosun sell to that would meet your requirements and what would be the upside? Yes, there may be a Wolverhampton born tax exile somewhere who wants to squander a few million, but I think we have already tried that option. So what is the answer?
excellent post.
For better or worse, Fosun own Wolves. ( it could be a lot worse. ).

But as to your astute question…….what is a better alternative?

Any new owner will still have to accept the reality of Wolves revenues vs the bigger clubs and also FFP limitations.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's tempting to subscribe to this line but look at quality they have bought as well as the strange deals.
Even this season with Sa, he is undoubtedly a top keeper, possibly the best in living memory.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The player trading model has its own strengths and weaknesses.

The strength is with a well connected agent you can access deals normally outside our level (e.g Neves) and if you gamble its possible to find 4 or 5 'projects' that turn into superstars and transform your club.

The downside is you might have to kiss a few frogs. You are not going to get every deal right because you are dealing with people and who knows why a player with a perfect profile fails (e.g. Cutrone).

I have not added it up but I suspect we have a positive transfer balance sheet even if you have some big losses (curtone).

On the positive side we have Jota (£40m+), Neves (£40+), Mir (£15m), Vinagre (£10m), Cav & Costa (£20m), Doc (£15m), Patrcio (£10m), Otaswie (£3m), and Hause (£3m) off the top of my head.

Then of course you have the value in players we haven't sold - like Neto. I am sure he is worth more that the £16m we paid, same for Sa (£7m), Toti (£900k), and RAN.

Sure we are going to have some losers but it's the only way a club our size is going to stand a chance at competing with the big six.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We shipped out Cav too early though it was a good fee
I loved Cav too but surprisingly to me the Fulham fans I know say, after initial promise, he has flopped with them in the Championship and they can’t wait to get rid.

Think it is all about the right fit, and being in an environment that plays to your strengths and would probably find Hwang and Trincao would look decent players at other clubs , or at Wolves under a different manager/tactics/players around them.

Back
Top Bottom