Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Connor Ronan - Past, Present or Future?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are posts above proposing he starts against Leeds.

Do you honestly think he’s good enough to play for a team who wants to finish top half in the Premiership?
So who? I can't be ***** to look. The vast majority of posts in this thread, as you very well know, accept he will be a bench player at best.

And do I think he's good enough for us? Tell you what, I'll let you know when I've seen him playing a decent amount in the PL. I won't shoot him down in flames before he's had a chance.

Same as Collins.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So who? I can't be ***** to look. The vast majority of posts in this thread, as you very well know, accept he will be a bench player at best.

And do I think he's good enough for us? Tell you what, I'll let you know when I've seen him playing a decent amount in the PL. I won't shoot him down in flames before he's had a chance.

Same as Collins.
I am one of the ones arguing that Ronan should start against Leeds, and have a run of games.
Why? Precisely because we know exactly what Dendonker can and cannot do and we need to find out if Ronan cam offer something different.
I think he has shown enough potential and has experience from his loans to go with it.
Not the time to experiment maybe? But he has played very well in his recent loan and in the pre-season friendlies and appears to be our one central midfielder who likes to pass forward through the lines, naturally; he could be a good feed for MGW, Podence and Neto.
Leeds and Fulham are probably the best two teams we could be facing to see whether Ronan can have a positive role in our new formation, whilst giving us a little time to give Lage evidence that we need to go to the transfer market before the end of Aug if it doesn’t work out. We can always bring Dendonker on or drop MGW back in to midfield if we need to.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am one of the ones arguing that Ronan should start against Leeds, and have a run of games.
Why? Precisely because we know exactly what Dendonker can and cannot do and we need to find out if Ronan cam offer something different.
I think he has shown enough potential and has experience from his loans to go with it.
Not the time to experiment maybe? But he has played very well in his recent loan and in the pre-season friendlies and appears to be our one central midfielder who likes to pass forward through the lines, naturally; he could be a good feed for MGW, Podence and Neto.
Leeds and Fulham are probably the best two teams we could be facing to see whether Ronan can have a positive role in our new formation, whilst giving us a little time to give Lage evidence that we need to go to the transfer market before the end of Aug if it doesn’t work out. We can always bring Dendonker on or drop MGW back in to midfield if we need to.
Good points. The main reason I'd start Donk ahead of him is because he's stronger in the air.

My concern with playing a back 4 is that we have only two tall players throughout the team (no Raul), and it could be costly when defending set pieces and crosses. Whatever his faults, Donk would give us better aerial protection than Connor.

But yes, I'd also like to see if Connor can turn from a Championship player into a PL. player - just like our other Conor did :)

Just goes to show - I, like many others, would have happily sold Coady, believing he was no more than an average Championship player - captain of club, played, scored and took the armband for his country... would never have believed it!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly circumstances are the reason he’s getting his chance but would be great if he actually shows his worth. When he first came in he looked a great prospect and then circumstances were against him with injury and an influx of players. Realistically no one on here would have seen enough of him in 5 years to make a case for or against but he clearly has the desire to be here and fight so perhaps he shocks a few.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point about height. Doncks adds some even though he's not the greatest header of the ball.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will add that Ronans set piece deliveries are also excellent and that could be a good thing to try to exploit.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Delighted he's in the squad, hope he can show what a good player he is & can be

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He might start tomorrow.....just remember who told ya first.....
Hope so; i have suggested before that he is far more of a round peg in a round hole as an attacking midfielder than Dendonker so i hope he gets a run of games. More likely to feed the front 3 than Donk, i suggest.
He looks to play forward, can pick a pass and is good at set piece deliveries, give him a chance.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope so; i have suggested before that he is far more of a round peg in a round hole as an attacking midfielder than Dendonker so i hope he gets a run of games. More likely to feed the front 3 than Donk, i suggest.
He looks to play forward, can pick a pass and is good at set piece deliveries, give him a chance.
Not for donk.....will leave it there ....

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for donk.....will leave it there ....
Oh i think you should explain your point of view. I have indicated mine; Donk is a defensive midfielder in my view and our new formation needs a person to feed the front 3.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh i think you should explain your point of view. I have indicated mine; Donk is a defensive midfielder in my view and our new formation needs a person to feed the front 3.
As said above heard moutinho is injured...

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he starts then great and good luck to him.

Would play neves Donk and MGW behind Netwo Podence and Hwang if it was me.

Reactions: Ian

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jeez! He's been with us for 8 years, played in the first team, trained, been sent out on loan and generally failed to hold-down a first team berth while we were in the Championship. If we don't know what Ronan is about and how good/poor he is by now, we never will.
Shows how desperate we are when for the majority of this thread, we've been looking the world over for a dynamic attacking midfielder of the calibre of Neves or Moutinho and we are now talking of Connor Ronan being that player. We are dismissive of Dendoncker who is a regular international midfielder in the number one ranked world team, yet some thing that Ronan is the answer.
Ah well, the Mix is never boring!
Ronan has more ability than Donk.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be really happy if he gets a start. Maybe it will end up being a step too far for him, but Ive always liked the notion of someone starring on loan and then getting a chance. Hope he seizes it

NothingButNeto

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd be really happy if he gets a start. Maybe it will end up being a step too far for him, but Ive always liked the notion of someone starring on loan and then getting a chance. Hope he seizes it
His set piece delivery alone warrants a start if Moutinho is out. Gonna have to swing balls into the box for Kilman and Collins to head without a striker.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Promising and a good age ?
He is 24 and he hasnt played for Wolves or anywhere near Wolves level for 6 years. He last played under Paul Lambert - a very different level.
I admit I cant recall his performances but I expect many football professionals have seen him , so let him go to a level he can play regularly.
Its not fair to him or Wolves .
Given the fee he's likely to command now it doesn't really matter whether he stays or goes. I'd love him to do well for us, but his career to date suggests he's nowhere near what we need. However, with our midfield options as limited as they are we should keep him and see how it goes - I'm not holding my breath but it'd be saft to release even a half decent midfielder given the state of the squad.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Instead of dendoncker ? Yes please
Careful what you wish for. Donk has looked decent against crappy pre-season opposition; it's not that hard. I'd love to see him do well, I'm just not that optimistic. Like I said just now though, we should definitely keep him as another at least half decent MF body.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but if Ronan starts then why the need to go 5 at the back again? Midfield three of Ronan, Neves and Donck. Absolutely no need for a back 5 at Leeds away. Be brave Bruno please. Five at the back will send out completely the wrong message tomorrow. You have played 4 a the back all pre season apart from the odd experiment. Dont let one injury take it all away please.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but if Ronan starts then why the need to go 5 at the back again? Midfield three of Ronan, Neves and Donck. Absolutely no need for a back 5 at Leeds away. Be brave Bruno please. Five at the back will send out completely the wrong message tomorrow. You have played 4 a the back all pre season apart from the odd experiment. Dont let one injury take it all away please.

Also false 9 with a back 5 doesn't work at all.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also false 9 with a back 5 doesn't work at all.
Exactly. We wont look like getting a goal if we were to line up with 5 at the back on no out and out striker. Be brave Bruno!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
So we're expecting something a bit like

.................... Sa
Jonny... Collins... Kilman.... RAN
.............Donck....Neves
......................Ronan
.........MGW.....Podence..... Neto

Is that right?

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So we're expecting something a bit like

.................... Sa
.............Donck....Neves
......................Ronan

Is that right?

.................... Sa
.......................Neves
..............Donck........Ronan

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. I will be despairing if we line up with a 5atb

Back
Top Bottom