Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Connor Ronan - Past, Present or Future?

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
I’ve always rated him, remember seeing him when we played Citeh away in league cup (pens) and he had Sane in his pocket. Deserves a chance.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a big fan. I think he's the best talent to come through the academy in a long time. Never had a fair crack at Wolves.
Much and all as I like the lad and hope he has a splendid future at Wolves, I expected he was going to be sold on this season. He had an excellent season last year with a struggling Scottish Premiership club. Indeed the manager at St. Mirren, moved up a level to take over at Aberdeen (following, if I'm not mistaken in the footsteps of SAF) and Connor's season either petered out or he was injured for most of the remainder of the season. He has always been a skilled player but until last season his career didn't seem to proceed as he would like. There were reports he was planning to go to University circulating at one stage also, which seemed to suggest he was drifting away from a career in football. I anticipated he was probably on his way to a Scottish Premiership club and would find his level there, probably Aberdeen. Having a further look at the lad to see what if any talent he has and what he might offer the club at Premiership level is to be welcomed. Now that you have the opportunity Connor, please utilise it and shut up the usual critics.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like he's staying for the season then? Suppose it's a no brainer when the alternative is sell him to a Scottish club for peanuts.

I haven't really watched the B team friendlies - what sort of player is he? All I know is that he's good at long range shooting!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like he's staying for the season then? Suppose it's a no brainer when the alternative is sell him to a Scottish club for peanuts.

I haven't really watched the B team friendlies - what sort of player is he? All I know is that he's good at long range shooting!
Mostly I’ve been very impressed.
Quite similar to cundle I’d say, but noticeably more mature. Shows lots of energy and doesn’t seem to go missing.
Bit disappointed we didn’t see him in the “A” group to see how he fitted in.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I thought his passing, both short and long, were good. He also showed good spacial awareness. He was constantly looking to see where his teammates and the opposition were. One thing I really liked was when he played a pass he was instantly moving to receive the ball, not standing there admiring the pass as some players have a habit of doing. Given he has more experience of first team football he is obviously ahead of Cundle in the pecking order

I think he will need to hit the gym a bit to play in the Premier League. Plus the Premier League is so much faster than friendlies and Scottish football he will need time to adapt.

I can see why the first team were impressed with him in training. I would like to see him play with the first choice players. I think he has the technique and composure to play with them. I have a feeling he can cope playing playing with them, but the proof of the pudding and all that.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBH, i would play him in the midfield 3 against Leeds and Fulham etc, give him a run of games instead of Dendonker.
We know what Dendonker can do at this level so it's time to see if Ronan can offer something different and positive.
Likes to pick a pass, likes to play forward and good at set piece deliveries; could be a good feed through the lines for MGW, Neto and Podence.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBH, i would play him in the midfield 3 against Leeds and Fulham etc, give him a run of games instead of Dendonker.
We know what Dendonker can do at this level so it's time to see if Ronan can offer something different and positive.
Likes to pick a pass, likes to play forward and good at set piece deliveries; could be a good feed through the lines for MGW, Neto and Podence.
If Bruno goes 4-3-3 then I'd be very surprised if he went with anything other that Dendoncker. He's the safe uninventive option.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bruno goes 4-3-3 then I'd be very surprised if he went with anything other that Dendoncker. He's the safe uninventive option.

The alternatives are youngsters and players that haven't even played at championship level. No other team in the league has such a drop off in quality on their bench.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only remember seeing him once in Nuno's first season away at Saints in the League Cup when we won 2-0, he looked a real prospect, I remember the Saints fans on the train asking about him. It seems a pity he hasn't progressed much since then.
He played well that day. His lack of progression may be entirely down to not having been given a chance. We've all barely seen him, so who knows, he might be a useful addition.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to him and us he should be put on the open market.
I doubt a Premier league club would sign him ,and that would say enough.
More money and salaries in the “bottom drawer “ towards Ronaldo’s welcome to Molineux pyrotechnics bash.

Last edited:

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We look pretty good with the 433 and have 3 senior CMs and even if we get another that makes only 4 so keeping him is a no brainer, can see him playing the Joao Moutinho role or being a more attacking option for Donk in a 3 or maybe play the AM role in a 4231. Not sure about him a 2 yet though though he was everywhere and got stuck in well I thought.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More money and salaries in the “bottom drawer “ towards Ronaldo’s welcome to Molineux pyrotechnics bash.
Why would we do that? Promising player, good age, could certainly end up a good squad player and my god we need a few of them.

Whether a prem club would sign him is irrelevant - he hasn't played in the prem. If he does and performs well enough to get a place on the bench then that's fine for a squad player.

And just maybe he'll be better than that.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he plays the way he is at the moment he will deserve a new contract could save us a few pennies too at 25 he will only get better

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would we do that? Promising player, good age, could certainly end up a good squad player and my god we need a few of them.

Whether a prem club would sign him is irrelevant - he hasn't played in the prem. If he does and performs well enough to get a place on the bench then that's fine for a squad player.

And just maybe he'll be better than that.
Promising and a good age ?
He is 24 and he hasnt played for Wolves or anywhere near Wolves level for 6 years. He last played under Paul Lambert - a very different level.
I admit I cant recall his performances but I expect many football professionals have seen him , so let him go to a level he can play regularly.
Its not fair to him or Wolves .

Last edited:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is 24 and he hasnt played for Wolves or anywhere near Wolves level for 6 years. He last played under Paul Lambert - a very different level.
I admit I cant recall his performances but I expect many football professionals have seen him , so let him go to a level he can play regularly.
Lage has seen him, and decided to keep him around for the moment.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all due respect to Conor Ronan, this really shows up the club for just how poor recruitment has been in this area of the team. The difference in quality from our first 11 to the rest is genuinely frightening.

Having said that, last season we had so little numbers in there, the fall back was Luke Cundle at Tottenham who again with all respect to him, at that point nobody knew anything about. I know I certainly didn't. I don't believe he is that good of a prospect to be knocking on the first 11 door either.

Lage wants a squad and at 24 and with a decent amount of football under him the last few years, I would be pleased to see Ronan stay but not if it means the club being let off for not strengthening.

Any reports from St Mirren on how he did last season? Noticed he assisted and scored a couple.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thread above on him from St Mirren in case anyone has missed it.

Some positive and also interesting comments.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had good loans all be it lower level.

24 is a good age to try him out as now he has plenty of experience, it's just a case of if he can step up and be useful.

I'm not expecting him to be a starter but he could be a useful squad player. We'll know soon enough. But to let him go now would be idiotic. He's vastly more experienced than Cundle and proved he can make it as a pro at a decent level, and he is our first midfield reserve in a small squad.

He may also have been a slightly slower developer than others and may fit well when surrounded by better players.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had good loans all be it lower level.

24 is a good age to try him out as now he has plenty of experience, it's just a case of if he can step up and be useful.

I'm not expecting him to be a starter but he could be a useful squad player. We'll know soon enough. But to let him go now would be idiotic. He's vastly more experienced than Cundle and proved he can make it as a pro at a decent level, and he is our first midfield reserve in a small squad.

He may also have been a slightly slower developer than others and may fit well when surrounded by better players.
Cast our minds back to that Man City cup game he was unbelievable that night and would of only got better since. Players mature at different ages. He is good back up

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he stays then good luck to him as he does have talent but it doesnt change my mind that we still require another option in central midfield.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume he's being kept around as a potential Moutinho replacement. There's no way he will, or should, play instead of Dendocker. Totally different players!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s a lower championship / Scottish Prem level player.

How on earth are we talking about him playing in our starting 11.

**** sake
Who exactly is talking about him starting? Virtually all posts are discussing his likely role as a squad player.

Lage seems to like him, and he's seen a lot more of Ronan than you and I. That's good enough for me at least.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who exactly is talking about him starting? Virtually all posts are discussing his likely role as a squad player.

Lage seems to like him, and he's seen a lot more of Ronan than you and I. That's good enough for me at least.

Actually, we’ve probably all seen Ronan play more than Lage has. He’s been with us since 2016.

He’s not even good enough to be a squad player. 6 loans to various League One level teams and nobody has taken him on a permanent deal. Yet he’s good enough to sit on our bench?? Nah.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The whole situation is laughable.

For what it’s worth I thought he looked good, Sheffield Wednesday away in 2016 or 2017.

His career has gone nowhere since and now he’s the answer to our **** thin squad issue.

Jog on.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a irrational hatred due to a game of FIFA 20 career mode. There i was trying to make my way in the world as a Central midfielder and Fosun just kept selling everybody who was any good.
We sold Neves, Donk(who was excellent in fifa 20)moutinho had retired, and sold MGW after a year of us having developed a pretty good partnership for club and country.
It was me(multiple caps for England at this point)and ronan(70 something rated), and I was just getting angry. They tried to sell me many times as well, but I wasn't having it.

At one stage we were in the champions league group stages 2024-5ish and who came off the bench? ****ing bonatini. I didn't even realise we still had him at that point.

Obviously this is just a game of Fifa and bears no resemblance to real life. Doesn't it?
We wouldn't be using players that aren't good enough, just because we can't get anyone else in would we?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume he's being kept around as a potential Moutinho replacement. There's no way he will, or should, play instead of Dendocker. Totally different players!
No chance. Squad player if he makes it. And that's with the greatest respect.

Once again I notice that people here dismiss a player because of how he performed when younger.

Last season he genuinely broke through and was excellent. That doesn't make him a great player but it explains why lage looked at him. Perhaps he needed an extra year or two. It happens.

That said, I have no expectation behind short term back up. It's down to him to prove wolves otherwise. He's not someone we'd sign, but he has a chance anyway.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually, we’ve probably all seen Ronan play more than Lage has. He’s been with us since 2016.

He’s not even good enough to be a squad player. 6 loans to various League One level teams and nobody has taken him on a permanent deal. Yet he’s good enough to sit on our bench?? Nah.
So, who is arguing for him to be in the starting XI?

And maybe give him a chance - or is that too much to ask?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Connor is a very good player who, like MGW, has benefited hugely from his loans!!

People seem willing to give MGW a chance, so it’s disappointing therefore to read some people on here not prepared to give Connor the same chance!

Disappointing but not surprising in some cases.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does Lage like him? Or does he just feel that he's better than whatever 18year old with 0 league experience that will fill the bench if he's not here. There's a big difference.
How do I know? I said Lage seems to like him - the only evidence we have is that he hasn't gone out on loan again and hasn't been sold.

If you think Lage only has him in the squad because there is no better option - either not coming in, or alternatives are too inexperienced - then you might be right. Who knows?

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, who is arguing for him to be in the starting XI?

And maybe give him a chance - or is that too much to ask?

There are posts above proposing he starts against Leeds.

Do you honestly think he’s good enough to play for a team who wants to finish top half in the Premiership?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance. Squad player if he makes it. And that's with the greatest respect.

Once again I notice that people here dismiss a player because of how he performed when younger.

Last season he genuinely broke through and was excellent. That doesn't make him a great player but it explains why lage looked at him. Perhaps he needed an extra year or two. It happens.

That said, I have no expectation behind short term back up. It's down to him to prove wolves otherwise. He's not someone we'd sign, but he has a chance anyway.
Yeah, I think the potential is a long shot, but I guess it's low risk/high reward. So long as they're prepared to spend big in Jan/next summer if he doesn't come off.

Back
Top Bottom