Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Connor Ronan - Past, Present or Future?

T

TheConcourse

Did he really do well in Scotland or do we just remember one wonder strike? Genuine question..

Edit: clean sweep of their awards at the end of the season. For balance, a few comments around him being League 1/lower Champ level.

I just don’t see this. Perhaps he’ll surprise me with better players around him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is good back up. I don’t understand the need to move him on players progress at different rates I’m interested to see what he can offer if Lage & the players have been impressed then that is good enough for me really!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing is that Lage has deemed him good enough to be part of the pre season training squad whilst he has left players like Cutrone (even tho short of strikers) and Jordao at home and Wolves have sold Shabani and sent Sanderson and Perry on loan. Not all same position i know.
Ronan might be there to make up the numbers or he may genuinely being given a chance to impress further.
We will know in the next few weeks.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only remember seeing him once in Nuno's first season away at Saints in the League Cup when we won 2-0, he looked a real prospect, I remember the Saints fans on the train asking about him. It seems a pity he hasn't progressed much since then.
Injuries inc a stress fracture of the back.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was brilliant in a few of the cup games for us at the beginning of his career against some PL opposition.

The additional subs mean we can probably have a wildcard player in the squad who can maybe get a run out as a 4th/5th if we’re looking comfortable in a game and with his ability from dead ball even just to give us an extra weapon in games where we can’t seem to break through.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only remember seeing him once in Nuno's first season away at Saints in the League Cup when we won 2-0, he looked a real prospect, I remember the Saints fans on the train asking about him. It seems a pity he hasn't progressed much since then.

He seems to look better when he's around better players. Looking forward to seeing him in preseason

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pops up with the odd super goal but no idea what he is like over 90 these days. Hope he does well in pre season and stays down here. I think most fans would like to see him given a chance again if the system suits.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess a different way to look at it would be asking if we would be happy signing a guy with 7 goals and 4 assists in Scotland. I rate Ronan but I really don't think he has a future with us.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess a different way to look at it would be asking if we would be happy signing a guy with 7 goals and 4 assists in Scotland. I rate Ronan but I really don't think he has a future with us.
John McGinn had scored 18 in 136 appearances for Hibs prior to signing for Villa…he’s done ok.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think timing at Wolves just hasn’t worked out for him.

Tidy player. Clearly destined for a good career in football, but think it probably lies away from Wolves. If we were in Fosun’s first or second season and he was at this stage I think he’d be getting game time.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember him playing really well at Man City in the league cup. Even at 24 I’m still holding out hope he’ll be a player for us, although it would seem unlikely.

Bottom line is though Iv not seen him play for years, probably the same as everyone else on here.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm a big fan. I think he's the best talent to come through the academy in a long time. Never had a fair crack at Wolves.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeez! He's been with us for 8 years, played in the first team, trained, been sent out on loan and generally failed to hold-down a first team berth while we were in the Championship. If we don't know what Ronan is about and how good/poor he is by now, we never will.
Shows how desperate we are when for the majority of this thread, we've been looking the world over for a dynamic attacking midfielder of the calibre of Neves or Moutinho and we are now talking of Connor Ronan being that player. We are dismissive of Dendoncker who is a regular international midfielder in the number one ranked world team, yet some thing that Ronan is the answer.
Ah well, the Mix is never boring!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeez! He's been with us for 8 years, played in the first team, trained, been sent out on loan and generally failed to hold-down a first team berth while we were in the Championship. If we don't know what Ronan is about and how good/poor he is by now, we never will.
Shows how desperate we are when for the majority of this thread, we've been looking the world over for a dynamic attacking midfielder of the calibre of Neves or Moutinho and we are now talking of Connor Ronan being that player. We are dismissive of Dendoncker who is a regular international midfielder in the number one ranked world team, yet some thing that Ronan is the answer.
As back up he offers something different but okay let’s just write off Cundle while we’re at it

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one has said he's a replacement for the Neves or Moutinho, just possibly a good backup

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We do know what he's about though hence he has been kept for the last 8 years.

Looked good in the training exercises I've seen of us which is obviously what Bruno has seen and led to the rumours of him impressing the squad.

Add to that he's on the pre season tour whereas Jordan isn't so he's clearly impressed and shown what he's about.

As for size is he any smaller than Podence?

The lad is earning a chance and people can't handle it.

There's no sentiment from Bruno who doesn't even know him, if he hasn't impressed he'd be gone already.

Give him some prem game time and in a year we get above a million for him or sell him now for £500k?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s paid his dues in loan moves, it’s time to take a serious look and give him a serious chance.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well preseason will give us an idea on him . I think it will be telling if he starts many games but also the formation Bruno plays in preseason

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I mean you’re setting a pretty high bar if you think he should have been edging out our then record signing in midfield in the Championship.

No one’s saying he’s on Neves level, we’re just discussing what it is after all these years that’s meant the club has kept him and continued to loan him out. They could’ve sold him, they could’ve released him. Maybe they’ve always felt there is something there, people saw it in those games when he first broke through under Lambert or the cup cameos under Nuno, but we’ve not being playing a formation that made him suitable until possibly now.

Someone else made a great point about the academy being structured to produce players for Jacketts formation and he and MGW were perfect for that, now could be a time where he can offer something to us again and let’s face it, in a time where football is all about money it’s nice to see a young kid work hard and get rewarded even if it’s only for a few weeks

5 - Lescott

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno obviously thinks hes looked decent so far this pre season hence travelling to Spain unlike Jordao.

Dont see what the harm is in having a sustained look at him over pre season. Worst case he gets loaned/sold

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deserves the same chance as MGW
Done well in the league he was sent to - the fact it was the top league in Scotland isn't his fault.
The club see something in him to keep him this long - if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out.
Struggling to see why some have such a problem with this

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
He's been a tad unlucky that he's not suited the system for the last 5 years. Best suited to an attacking midfield role which we haven't played. He's not going to come into into the squad and be a started but as an option on the bench i wouldn't be against him stopping. Technically he's always looked sound and could fit in with better players around him than previous loaned clubs.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How about we let Bruno take a look at him and make up his own mind. If he's deemed good enough for the squad then great. If not, a loan to a Championship club with a shout for promotion would be shrewd. As MGW proved last year, if you do well in the Champ your value can soar.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news…..Conor is staying with wolves this season.

Where have you seen this?

I agree it is good news if true, I love to see our own lads given a chance if they are good enough.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was brilliant in a few of the cup games for us at the beginning of his career against some PL opposition.

The additional subs mean we can probably have a wildcard player in the squad who can maybe get a run out as a 4th/5th if we’re looking comfortable in a game and with his ability from dead ball even just to give us an extra weapon in games where we can’t seem to break through.
Hmm, maybe if we are losing 1 nil and need something different he may go wild and bring 2 on in the 88th minute

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great news…..Conor is staying with wolves this season.

I'll take your word for it, from the training videos he offers something different in the midfield - very quick feet. A big problem with our midfield for many seasons has been how one-paced we are, Neves, Mouts, Donk all like to play at that steady as you go tempo. Connor and MGW can completely overhaul how we attack if Bruno has formations specially built for when they're on the park, fingers crossed.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was class against wigan one Valentines night in one of the worst games i've ever seen.
****ted the bar from 80 yards out or there abouts.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it, from the training videos he offers something different in the midfield - very quick feet. A big problem with our midfield for many seasons has been how one-paced we are, Neves, Mouts, Donk all like to play at that steady as you go tempo. Connor and MGW can completely overhaul how we attack if Bruno has formations specially built for when they're on the park, fingers crossed.
I would like to see Connor given a fair chance.

However, your expectations of Lage are beyond his pay grade I fear!!

Back
Top Bottom