Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Connor Ronan - Past, Present or Future?

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of people seem to want to talk about him in other threads so thought may as well start his own thread.

For what its worth, I've always rated him ever since those woeful days under Lambert when we couldn't buy a win and he seemed the only player capable of passing the ball forwards. There must be something about him as to why the club have kept him all these years, maybe a change in formation creates a space for a player like him.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If I was a Championship club I'd be fairly happy signing him.

Not even very young anymore - would be older than RAN, Kilman, Collins, MGW, Neto, Neves, Cundle, Cutrone, Sarkic, Toti as players currently in the first team squad.

Had a successful loan spell at DAC and St Mirren. Failed in English leagues by and large.
I ask anyone here a question, if we signed him to play as a first team squad member would you be happy? Would anyone boat.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing against the lad but nowhere near good enough.

Any technical midfielder needs to be better than Neves & Moutinho, so realistically we aren't ever getting someone better than those two and Ronan's obviously nowhere near.

Then, he's not the powerful alternative we need to those two.

Not a Premier League player.

Could make a case for him to be 5th choice (Neves, Moutinho, NEW, Dendoncker) ahead of Cundle to send him out on loan but hopefully he wouldn't have to play.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably never play for us again. It's been years .

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think most footballers need that kick up the backside and a cuddle. I think i rate him higher than when we had Mark Davies who most people rated. Give the lad a chance.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think he's good enough. He's technically decent but the bar has been raised so high since those days under Lambert that it's at a level he can't reach. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in pre-season but think he'll be spending the season elsewhere, possibly in the Championship

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was a Championship club I'd be fairly happy signing him.

Not even very young anymore - would be older than RAN, Kilman, Collins, MGW, Neto, Neves, Cundle, Cutrone, Sarkic, Toti as players currently in the first team squad.

Had a successful loan spell at DAC and St Mirren. Failed in English leagues by and large.
I ask anyone here a question, if we signed him to play as a first team squad member would you be happy? Would anyone boat.

Not sure where you're getting ages from but hes 24, so younger than Kilman and Neves and the same age as Cutrone and Sarkic.

He was a much younger and inexperienced player when he was loaned out to lower league English clubs where arguably he wasn't physically developed enough to play regularly. He's now shown he has the stamina to last a competitive season, takes an excellent set piece, can carry the ball and score goals from distance. If we're playing 3 in midfield he could be a very tidy option.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be happy for him to take Cundle's place in the squad to allow him out on loan. I wouldn't be happy to have him any higher than 5th choice midfielder behind Neves, Moutinho, Donck, and a new fella.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The most impressive player for our U23's over the past couple of decades, so was a surprise to see him struggle so much on his initial loans. Especially after a great couple of cameos against Wigan and Man City. The issue may have been his slight stature.

However seemed to gain some consistency last season scoring some great goals along the way. He is still developing and a late developer due to his size.

Surely gotta be worth a pre season place over some of our youngsters.

We tend to try and rush our players development too quickly compared to some of the larger clubs.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looked very good when he first came in and was establishing himself before his injury. However, we were comparing him the likes of Saville, Edwards etc. he was lightweight originally. To be honest do I think he’s a starter, no. Would I prefer him to Cundle in the squad probably yes because I think the latter is lightweight and needs a full season in the Championship (which may be his level anyway).

My other prejudiced concern is he’s another 5’7 player and as we are not playing the Knotty Ash XI every week it would be good to have some height in the team/squad.

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
I think with 5 subs next season, it's worth having a good look at him during preseason. He's different to what we currently have. I've always been a fan. Hope he takes his chance

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't know to be honest. There are a number of people on here who appear to 'know' he is not good enough, but unless they have been watching all of St Mirren's games I don't know how they can say so categorically.

He appeared to perform very well last season, made a really good goal contribution in a tough physical league, won player of the year, and has appeared to progress every year. I don't think you can criticise his character or commitment.

If we had just paid a £1m for him from St Mirren what we would we think?

I think I would be saying he is going to be a useful back up player that may well come good. But recognising that he is probably going to sit on the bench for most of next season - and we may well flip him in a season or two for a couple of million to a championship club.

To be honest I don't think that is at all bad

I don't think I would be thinking we have just picked up a first team star of the future, as others of said he is not a 20 year old kid any more. But of course miracles do happen in football - occasionally.

So the question for me is what would make most sense now. Should we sell now for the reported £500k+ or should we use him to back fill the squad for a season allowing Cundle to go out on loan?

The management and other players have to believe he deserves a place in the match day squad. If collectively they do think he is good enough, then it makes sense to me to give him a go.

I would love him to make it here. It is a very good story to tell prospective youngsters that the likes of Ronan, Cundle, and MGW can play in the Premier League.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he was that good, one of the old firm would have tried to bring him in. Rangers sold Joe Aribo, who also got seven goals last season. It would make perfect sense for Rangers to sign him...did they? No. Did Celtic? No, they preferred £450k Ismaila Soro.

The only clubs interested were Aberdeen and St. Mirren. That tells you about all you need to know.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he was that good, one of the old firm would have tried to bring him in. Rangers sold Joe Aribo, who also got seven goals last season. It would make perfect sense for Rangers to sign him...did they? No. Did Celtic? No, they preferred £450k Ismaila Soro.

The only clubs interested were Aberdeen and St. Mirren. That tells you about all you need to know.

He won't be starting here or play most weeks, question of is he worth more here as depth then he would be selling him. Is keeping him here and allowing Cundle, Hodge or Taylor go out on loan but better long term.

Who knows, maybe in a more technical league he might perform better if he gets a chance

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's decent although not seen much of him for a couple of years, he looked around Champ standard but probably not Prem, he'd be OK as a body on the bench cos god knows we need them but if he is used in lieu of signing an actual proper ready to go midfielder then I'll be ****ed

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be very interesting to see how he looks in the games. He does have good technique and set pieces.
I'll reserve judgement until I actually see for myself what sort of player he's developed into.

If he's not progressed much in the last few years then obviously he's not up to it. If he's realized just some of that potential and gained size and strength then maybe he's worth a go.

We'll see.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score

Whilst I probably don't disagree with your point - Ronan looked neat and tidy, plus scored the occassional cracker, but certainly wasn't levels above the SPL - I'm not entirely sure what a signing Celtic made 2 1/2 years ago has to do with them not signing Ronan this summer? Soro's also an out and out defensive midfielder, who Celtic paid £2m for in Jan 2020 (he was on loan in Portugal last year, as he was nowhere near the first team).

Hearts are also interested in Ronan as well, I think. If he does come back up to Scotland, I think Aberdeen would be the most likely destination. The manager who signed him for St Mirren in charge, around £10m in transfer fees received from Ramsay to Liverpool and Ferguson to Bologna.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an option through the season, I genuinely don't see the harm in keeping him around, he's clearly got a good work ethic, he's got a few talents. It can't hurt to keep till January then assess the situation.

And thats from someone who doesn't generally rate him highly, just seems to make sense that a player coming off a top loan spell deserves a second viewing.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We don't know whether they were interested or not. It's perfectly plausible they asked the question and Wolves value him higher than either were prepared to pay which is not a slight on his ability, more the funding available for those clubs. Plus the window is not closed yet and Rangers have only just sold Aribo, so who is to say they wouldn't come in for him. Basically you've made a lot of assumptions, you might be right, you might not.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't know whether they were interested or not. It's perfectly plausible they asked the question and Wolves value him higher than either were prepared to pay which is not a slight on his ability, more the funding available for those clubs. Plus the window is not closed yet and Rangers have only just sold Aribo, so who is to say they wouldn't come in for him. Basically you've made a lot of assumptions, you might be right, you might not.
I have, we all make assumptions on here, there is no tautological truth when it comes to football, everything is opinion or estimation.

I would be extremely surprised if the old firm try and sign him. He's just not good enough IMO.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'd be fine as a squad member if we get thin on the ground. Think he'd suprise a few tbf.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have, we all make assumptions on here, there is no tautological truth when it comes to football, everything is opinion or estimation.

I would be extremely surprised if the old firm try and sign him. He's just not good enough IMO.

This was like listening to Simon Jordan try and get out of an argument! C'mon just because a team haven't signed a player who has no association with them.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have so many complaints from people saying our midfield is light on numbers, he's home grown which we're also light on, is good at set piece taking, and scores the odd screamer.

There is absolutely no chance we get all that for the £450k it's estimated we'd sell him for.

Obviously he needs to impress Lage over the next few weeks, but if he does I'll be over the moon another academy product has broken through!

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score
I'm really pleased they are at least having a look at him. We might find that playing with players of better ability brings out the best in a more technical player like him.

Paul Merson said when he dropped a level to go to Walsall he looked dreadful as nobody could be read his passes and he ended up playing safe as a result.

It'd be good to see both Ronan and Gibbs-White get a chance this season, having been on the club's books for so long.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rate him but he just isn't built for the prem. Could end up a squad player if we make a hash of the window but more likely to be sold/loaned.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rate him but he just isn't built for the prem. Could end up a squad player if we make a hash of the window but more likely to be sold/loaned.

Is he built any differently to Moutinho? Or someone like Ward-Prowse? Or Thiago?

I'm not saying he's as good as any of them, but size only seems to be a thing in this country

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has matured in the SPL, which is a very physical League, so his height is irrelevant. Set pieces have been a weakness for us, so we would improve that aspect if he’s playing & Neves could push further forward with Ronan covering behind.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’d like to see him play a bit before I decide - he did well in Scotland, and some players are later maturing than others, so maybe.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Easy for me, with the five subs it gives us a chance to have players like Ronan in the squad and hopefully give them a bit of game time. If he shines great if not loan him back to the SPL in January.
This. I don't think people grasp that with 5 subs, we now have the chance to play more of our squad players. Ronan definitely offers something

Back
Top Bottom