Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Competition at the back

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time we've had such competition for places in the team, particularly at the back. Bennett and Hause have been the least used of our 6 centre halves but they've not really put a foot wrong when called upon. Does Nuno now bring Boly back? He's probably the most talented of the 6 but it would be harsh to drop Coady or Batth and, frankly, we'd miss their leadership and influence imo. Miranda has had a few shaky moments but he's important to our style of play. And what does Nuno do about Kortney Hause? Hause is up there with Boly in terms of being the most naturally talented of the 6 imv. If he focusses on his football 100%, he should really be a regular starter. Over the last year, he's impressively slotted into the Cup wins at Stoke and Liverpool and the recent shut-out against City. Then there's Bennett - great attitude and hasn't let anyone down in what must have been a tough start to his Wolves career.

F

FLEET WOLF

I can't remember the last time we've had such competition for places in the team, particularly at the back. Bennett and Hause have been the least used of our 6 centre halves but they've not really put a foot wrong when called upon. Does Nuno now bring Boly back? He's probably the most talented of the 6 but it would be harsh to drop Coady or Batth and, frankly, we'd miss their leadership and influence imo. Miranda has had a few shaky moments but he's important to our style of play. And what does Nuno do about Kortney Hause? Hause is up there with Boly in terms of being the most naturally talented of the 6 imv. If he focusses on his football 100%, he should really be a regular starter. Over the last year, he's impressively slotted into the Cup wins at Stoke and Liverpool and the recent shut-out against City. Then there's Bennett - great attitude and hasn't let anyone down in what must have been a tough start to his Wolves career.
We should never have sold Stearman! Seriously, I entirely take your point and it is good to see the competition for places in those positions.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, probably our strongest area in terms of competition for places.

I still think our first choice back line should be Miranda, Coady and Boly, although Batth is pushing Miranda very close at the moment and on current form alone would start. Hause and Bennett also not very far behind!

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have excellent competition at the back and I trust all of Coady, Boly, Miranda, Batth and Hause. Not seen enough of Bennett personally yet.

One thing that is clear is that we desperately need cover for RWB, if Nuno isn't going to trust Marshall there. Was so evident we were missing Doherty on Tuesday, and he's too important to play in cup games at the moment. Not that we need to worry about those again until January.

An injury to Doherty would leave us severely lobsided.

T

TurboTaco91

We have excellent competition at the back and I trust all of Coady, Boly, Miranda, Batth and Hause. Not seen enough of Bennett personally yet.

One thing that is clear is that we desperately need cover for RWB, if Nuno isn't going to trust Marshall there. Was so evident we were missing Doherty on Tuesday, and he's too important to play in cup games at the moment. Not that we need to worry about those again until January.

An injury to Doherty would leave us severely lobsided.
We should just recall Iorfa in January and use him as RWB cover. He's got the skillset to play there.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How far away is big Phil Ofosu-Ayeh from starting training? How good is Odofin, should Doc get injured before big Phil is ready? What about Deslandes, who did well at left centre back?

We are indeed very blessed with options, which is vital in this long season, with chunks of two games per week like right now. Our League Cup run shows that we can change up to 9 players in any 3 game per week run of matches and still put out a really good side, while keeping everyone fit, motivated and free from stress and overuse injuries.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True, but we still have too many defenders !

alobmbe

Groupie
Reaction score
Here's my dream "back three":

backs_zpsto2vxep3.jpg

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boly, Miranda and Coady are the best defenders if we are building from the back and having a higher degree of possession.

Baath and Hause are great deep lying defenders defending the box in backs to the wall performances. But whether they'd offer enough in a game where we had say 60%+ possession?

I haven't seen enough of Bennet in possession because he's only played when we've been up against it.

They could all possibly step up to play in the Prem IMO.

I also think Saiss would be well suited to the Coady role, should we evolve that way.

gewolf

Reaction score
"Sketchead, We have excellent competition at the back and I trust all of Coady, Boly, Miranda, Batth and Hause. Not seen enough of Bennett personally yet.
An injury to Doherty would leave us severely lobsided.''

Of those who were there on Tuesday, was Bennett good enough or did he not really play RWB?

D

Deleted member 5962

"Sketchead, We have excellent competition at the back and I trust all of Coady, Boly, Miranda, Batth and Hause. Not seen enough of Bennett personally yet.
An injury to Doherty would leave us severely lobsided.''

Of those who were there on Tuesday, was Bennett good enough or did he not really play RWB?

Played more as a RB than RWB, he was solid defensively but offered nothing going forward, which is to be expected imo.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some may disagree and that's fair enough, but at 50 so born in 1967 I can't remember ever a better defence Wolves have had. The depth and quality is quite astonishing, given that lately 3 of the back 5 have been the backbone of seasons past, players that most if honest would have given green light to be sold in the summer are unroganisable to last season and seasons before that. Add to that too that the best 2 considered in Hause and Irofa have not started a league game. A testament to what top quality coaching can do.

E

Essex Wolf

The great thing is that Wolves have been playing well with a defence being devoid of a few players at times. The defence on Tuesday kept at bay the UK's best side who are IMV are also among the top sides across the whole of Europe. That surely can only bode well being a positive thing.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with any of the 6

Personally my back 3 would be either

Miranda boly hause

Boly coady hause

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Think when everyone's fit and firing, my back three would be:

Boly Coady Hause

Think there's the perfect mix of physicality and ball playing ability. But, I'm being incredibly harsh on both Miranda and Batth, neither of whom deserve to be dropped currently. It's a nice problem to have!

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with any of the 6

Personally my back 3 would be either

Miranda boly hause

Boly coady hause
Cannot drop Coady in the middle it would be crazy
Much prefer Boly different class on the left to Hause
Leaving the right to Miranda, Baath or Bennett, so for me no brainer picking Miranda
Hence
Miranda Coady Boly

T

that bloke there

Hause should get a free run as the left sided CB until Boly is fit imo. Should give us more balance.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we might sell Hause to PL team for the right money being as he’s English and has potential....

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cannot drop Coady in the middle it would be crazy
Much prefer Boly different class on the left to Hause
Leaving the right to Miranda, Baath or Bennett, so for me no brainer picking Miranda
Hence
Miranda Coady Boly

You are right to be fair. I’m happy with an option at all

D

Deleted member 5635

my first choice defence would be
Boly coady Hause just for that extra balance and extra pace.

At the start of the season I wouldn't of had coady near the team but he has been a revelation.

Saying that though any selection doesn't bother me too much as long as coady is the centre of the 3.(cant believe im saying that)

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s great news and good for Nuno to have such a tough choice

Boly Coady and Hause would be my first choice

Gold Umbro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised at the Hause inclusions here.
He's a good defender but sadly not good enough with the ball at his feet.
Miranda, Coady (who'd have thought eh?), Boly all day long.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of all of our defenders, Baath is the biggest menace in the opponent's box and that should also be taken into account.

He's a goalscoring option.

Back
Top Bottom