Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

coads england debut?

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be incredible if that happens. Might explain why he was called up if the plan was always to play the two formations in the two different games

Fingers crossed for him

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was called up after initial call ups almost certainly won’t start

Phillips will be ahead of him if they want to go for risk

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to be miles better than a Dier and Gomez combination whoever plays alongside our Conor!

Can you imagine those 2 against France, Germany, Spain or Portugal!

Almost as bad as Maguire and Keane!

Y

Yout85

Would be a cherry on the top of what's looking like a wonderful few days for Wolves.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was called up after initial call ups almost certainly won’t start

Phillips will be ahead of him if they want to go for risk
[/QUOT

Southgate is already taking a risk with Dier and Gomez!

I won’t mention Michael Keane or Tyrone Mings either!

Englands central defensive choice is rubbish atm and I include £80million Harry Maguire in that as well. Not our Conor though!

Last edited:

Wandering_Wolf93

Reaction score
Honestly do not know why he ever moved away from the back 3. Individually the CB options for England aren't the best by playing as back 3/5 it makes us more solid. It was a key reason we got to a semi final of a world cup (that and a favourable route)
throw in the fact TAA is better going forwards than he is at defending then it provides him more opportunity to do what he is good at.

Like wolves there arethe options to go 532 or 523 depending on opposition etc. Plenty of the attacking players are capable of playing either wide of a 3 or just off Kane in a 2.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I won’t mention Michael Keane either!

Englands central defensive choice is rubbish atm and I include £80million Harry Maguire in that as well. Not our Conor though!

If he plays a back 3, it will almost certainly be Dier, Gomez and one of Keane or Mings.

The bloke is a clown.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly do not know why he ever moved away from the back 3. Individually the CB options for England aren't the best by playing as back 3/5 it makes us more solid. It was a key reason we got to a semi final of a world cup (that and a favourable route)
throw in the fact TAA is better going forwards than he is at defending then it provides him more opportunity to do what he is good at.

Like wolves there arethe options to go 532 or 523 depending on opposition etc. Plenty of the attacking players are capable of playing either wide of a 3 or just off Kane in a 2.

I absolutely agree, and don’t remember hearing an explanation as to why he went back to a back 4.
My guess is, quite simply, that:
1. He wants to play a front 3 of Kane, Stirling and one other from Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood but doesn’t trust any of our players in a midfield 2 not to be overrun, even if supported by the wingbacks.
2. He doesn’t trust our existing CBs to actually be able to defend without 2 defensive midfielders
3. As a former CB himself, he just doesn’t understand the sweeper system (note that when we did play 3 at the back we tended to play 3 CBs and not a sweeper)

Wandering_Wolf93

Reaction score
I absolutely agree, and don’t remember hearing an explanation as to why he went back to a back 4.
My guess is, quite simply, that:
1. He wants to play a front 3 of Kane, Stirling and one other from Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood but doesn’t trust any of our players in a midfield 2 not to be overrun, even if supported by the wingbacks.
2. He doesn’t trust our existing CBs to actually be able to defend without 2 defensive midfielders
3. As a former CB himself, he just doesn’t understand the sweeper system (note that when we did play 3 at the back we tended to play 3 CBs and not a sweeper)

Yeah i agree that i can only see those as the reasons why he would switch back to the back 4. Our better players are all the attacking players so the switch was presumably to get as many of them in the team as possible but we don't have the midfielders to control games against the best teams and we don't have the defenders to be ever look truly solid against any opposition. They all have mistakes in them and flaws to their game which get exploited more internationally, particularly in a 4 when they can become more isolated.

I would be surprised if Southgate didn't understand the sweeper system. Didn't he play for England as part of back 3 using the sweeper system? So he would have some understanding of it even if he wasn't necessarily the sweeper. The problem with properly implementing the sweeper system for him would be that he doesn't get much time on the training ground with players to drill the shape & system into them so whilst he may have been intending it to be sweeper system at the world cup it became a back 3 because the CBs basically didn't understand the role because they don't play it often and didn't get enough time to work on it. This wouldn't be an issue now as Coady knows that roll so would just be case of fine tuning it for how Southgate would want it to operate.

I know there is a fair amount of bias wanting England to play a back 3 as it is genuinely Coadys only real chance to play for England regularly but I do genuinely think it is our best chance for success as well even if Coady wasn't in the team.

Milijas

Reaction score
I know it shouldn't and I know there's more important things to worry about.....but calling him Coads really bugs me.
I feel your pain! It's not even as if it's a shortened version. Why type an S instead of a Y
It used to bug me with kevin 'Foles' Foley.
But nothing boiled my P!## quite like Kevin 'Doyler' doyle. Why add an extra Letter!?!?
OTT OCD rant over..

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way it’s going Coady will be playing CB, CM and winger for England given the way they are dropping like flies

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could get his debut according to the mail

Would be great. And I would watch an England match with genuine interest for the first time in god knows how long.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Southgate quoted as saying, they been practising 3 at the back all week...probably means since yesterday:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 3545

I won’t mention Michael Keane or Tyrone Mings either!

How old are you ?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Mouts” annoys me far more than “Coads”.

Saying that, nothing ****es me off as much as people calling Molineux “the Mol”:mad:
How dare they refer to the Golden Palace (sounds like a second rate Chinese takeaway) like that, lol...

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Mouts” annoys me far more than “Coads”.

Saying that, nothing ****es me off as much as people calling Molineux “the Mol”:mad:
Well, I did see Greasy glide past coads and mouts at the mol.

Do you still love me, sweetie?

Back
Top Bottom