Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

City Verdict

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely shambolic.

Yes, they're obviously excellent but I don't think they've scored five away from home in the league this season - and let's be honest it should've been seven or eight at least.

I also think the senior players are a disgrace. That clown in the middle is only in the side because he can organise and we're getting pulled and ripped apart.

Moutinho and Neves were embarrassing. They were so far off the pace it was unreal and couldn't even get close to foul them. Like seriously, how can you have three senior central midfielders and none of them know to close spaces near KDB - this criticism also applies to Coady who should be telling them.

Boly deserves a mention for being atrocious as well.

The team selection was a joke. Anyone could see after ten minutes, so the first goal, that they were pulling us apart down our right. It should've been Dendoncker RCB, Jonny to RB and Chiquinho further forward in a 5-4-1. Won't go in too much on Jonny or Chiquinho (defensively) because they were played out of position.

The subs were also baffling, I thought Jimenez was actually playing quite well. Neto, not so much.

Chiquinho man of the match by a country mile and the only positive.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ultimately we played one of the best teams in the world so we were always likely to get beat, however the manner of it was terrible to watch. Yes City are far superior, but our positioning, pressing (or lack of) just looks either a) like they aren't being coached well enough or b) they can't be bothered and are beaten before they get out there.

All over the place. The gaps between the midfield and defence was like watching us in our relegation season under Mick and then Terry.

Chiquinho showed promise going forward but his positioning all over the place. Him going forward and turning that into a 'four' now and then was shambolic, allowing KDB, Foden, Silva to just wander around in between full backs and centre halves. Play him further forward or don't bother (preferably the former).

Boly has looked terrible for ages, actually feel a bit embarrassed watching him sometimes.

The most anonymous I've ever seen Neves. He's our defensive midfielder. Hiding all game, until the 92nd when he chased the ball down and the Southbank sang his name. I spotted him a few times asking for the ball from positions it was impossible for him to receive it. I used to do that when I was at school playing against superior teams, to make it look like I was trying and being busy. Pretended to tackle De Bruyne for his third as well. Really poor tonight as his role is probably the most essential against superior teams.

Moutinho anonymous.

Neto needs to work harder and stop moaning at everyone. Dives more than Hwang and that's saying something...

Sa's distribution was rubbish all night as well, and he flapped it for City's second.

I Thought Raul, Dendoncker were alright, and Neto did well for the goal. Chiquinho was a threat and our best outlet but playing him there really unbalanced us defensively.

Tough one to watch but fair play to City. Their movement is sublime. But we should be set up far, far better. They should've scored after two mins, scored after six, could've scored at least 10.

Playing Man City isn't season defining but the manner of our performances against West Ham, Palace, Leeds (second half), Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton and that tonight, all in the past couple of months, are alarming.

If we lose against Norwich on Sunday, then inevitably get tonked at Liverpool, Bruno has got to be twitching.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to disagree with anything you’ve said there JOS.

Think it’s time up for Lage

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it is Man City but we made it far too easy for them. Some comical defending and the midfield vanished. What stuck out for me was how slow our centre backs and central midfield looked. Two areas that urgently need addressing this summer and have done for a couple of years now.

Also we have no real identity to our play anymore. It looks like the players are hoping something will happen rather than having a plan tonight, Really concerns me that we have no identity anymore and this needs rectifying ASAP.

Sadly think several players could do with moving on now and we need fresh impetus throughout the squad.

Special mention to Chiquinho who gave his all and did worry them on occasions.

Baffled that Fabio Silva was once again ignored.

I will get slated but I am really not sure about Lage and any claims about European football are laughable with the current squad.
Why baffled about Fabio? He's offered nothing all season, nothing at all! All this sentiment **** around him, he's not good enough and shows that when he plays! Hwang it's bad just not as awful as silva.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Defensively we were all over the shop. Boly’s been a great player for us over the years but he looks miles off the pace - constantly out of position and regularly seen ambling back 5-10metres behind play and it affected the whole back line.

We looked solid when we played City and Liverpool earlier in the season but that seems like ages ago now. We miss Kilman but not having Traore in the squad has massively impacted us too as it’s meant the better teams in the league can aggressively counterpress us high up the pitch when we play a deep defensive line as there’s little to scare them now on the counter.

I thought there were some positives from Chiquinho, Neto and Jimenez and more minutes for Jonny but struggling beyond that.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage could do with a win on Sunday against an atrocious Norwich side. Play ****e against them and lose and questions should rightly be asked. You can sort of understand tonight despite some dreadful defending and non existent midfield play and no style of play against a really good side but Sunday is totally different.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Result never in doubt from the first goal,us equalising just kicked the hornets nest
We are not anywhere near Cities level and we know that,they can take any team apart if they are on that kind of form
Could and should have been far worse
Neves never in the game,if he isnt fit shouldnt be playing
Mouts and Donk not much better and there lies the problem,midfield is just poor lately
Why we played Jonny at CB i dont know with Tito there,but they looked like strangers tonight
Chico the one bright note,and Raul looked much better too
Neto looked like a spoiled child at times needs to snap out of that pronto
We are not great at the moment and City are just class
Be interesting to see how we react at the weekend

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like many have already said City are different class but some of our defending tonight was dreadful! Way to much ball watching (Boly was the worse culprit just didn't react quick enough to anything!) We have some decent players here and some good young players but the spine of our team really needs strengthening going forward if we are to progress!

Subs didn't make sense Silva should have been on at least he gives you energy and attempts to hold the ball up, less said about Hwang the better why we signed this guy I have no idea!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor defending or made to look poor by city? Somewhere in between I think.

We seem unable to defend and attack well at the same time, it’s either one or the other. More often than not the former.

Go with Toti and/or Mosquera for the last 2 games and see what they can do
**** poor tactics.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Could have been 9. They hit the post twice and missed a couple of sitters. They were just too slick for us. Our defence was statuesque. Midfield non existent. Forwards could not keep hold of the ball. Gave De Bryne too much freedom. Should have man marked him after his second goal to prevent his influence affecting the game.
Whole defensive line was amateurish and passed through almost at will. Im a Coady fan but his lack of pace and mobility was plain to see in this game. Ditto with Boly. And Jonny is never a CB.
Only player to come out of this with any credit is Chiquinio.
Bruno got this game so wrong. Makes the Norwich game a must win now to get back some respectability. Not going to get anything from the Liverpool game if this game is anything to go by. Just hope the score line is kept low.
Lose against Norwich and badly against Liverpool and it may be the end for Bruno.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? We were really positive. Had a real go. I would much rather that than a limp 0-1. City spend way more and are better but we were much better than against burnley etc
**** off! Keep it tight and hit them on the break. Proven by Nuno. But our current "genius" thinks that we can out-Citeh Citeh. ****ing lunacy. Tonight l joined the out camp full on! I have zero confidence that we won't lose to Norwich again.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positives - Chiquinho
Negatives - too many to list, big summer ahead or else I fear for us

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed it despite the result and thought we worked hard until Jimenez went off. Defensively though, I know City are good but we didn't look like we had a clue what we were doing. On the plus side, Chiquinho, Raul, and Neto all played well. Oh, and when Huang came on he brought with him both the touch of a donkey and the falling over and moaning after he's lost the ball with a terrible touch.

There was an excellent Belgian midfielder on the pitch today. Can you guess which one?

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
We were walking after 60 minutes. No intensity or desire to win the ball back.

You can acknowledge City’s quality whilst also noting how far off it we were. Lacking in quality or a game plan.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage could do with a win on Sunday against an atrocious Norwich side. Play ****e against them and lose and questions should rightly be asked. You can sort of understand tonight despite some dreadful defending and non existent midfield play and no style of play against a really good side but Sunday is totally different.
Norwich were thrashed by Leicester. I fancy them to bounce back and beat us by a couple of goals.

Bruno needs to go, along with 6 or 7 of the current first team.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still waiting for any Sky post match discussion on Wolves….
We’ve just lost 5-1 at home and have nothing to play for. De Bruyne scored 4 goals.

Not happening!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh I don’t know, perhaps just that there were two teams playing…
From the neutrals perspective, one team got their **** pushed in, the other looked silky smooth and essentially won the title.

Reactions: Ned

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were walking after 60 minutes. No intensity or desire to win the ball back.

You can acknowledge City’s quality whilst also noting how far off it we were. Lacking in quality or a game plan.

Totally agree. I couldnt see any identity or any sort of game plan. A nice easy game for Man City. Not like Liverpool had last night.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can’t blame a lack of effort for that. I mean, the players tried but were set up strangely. Jonny is the SAFEST defender we have had in years but we conspired to take that out of the side by putting him at CB.

Chiquinho looks fearless and full of promise. Neto WILL come good, he’s shown enough. RAN had an ok but quiet game.

Raul worked hard but it shows where we are as a club and set of fans when this gets translated to “he played well”. It’s not good enough for where we want to be.

The midfield let the game pass them by, they just aren’t mobile enough to press and get the ball back. This is why Nuno played them so deep.

Coady and Boly were abysmal. Boly in particular, I’d be happy to never see him in a wolves shirt again. There is zero urgency from him.

I didn’t watch the Burnley game last season but it’s as bad as I’ve seen Boly. If you watch De Bruyne’s 4th goal tonight and Leeds first goal from the 2-3 a few months back, and watch Boly closely it’s pretty rank defending. He’s been one of my favourite players under FOSUN but looks spent

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Norwich were thrashed by Leicester. I fancy them to bounce back and beat us by a couple of goals.

Bruno needs to go, along with 6 or 7 of the current first team.

It will be a complete disgrace if we get turned over by Norwich on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom