Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Charles Reep - Gerrit forward!

SellyWolf

Reaction score
I happened upon this article this evening - a really fascinating read and even more so with the Wolves connection within.

When I first supported Wolves (and even until very recently), “gerrit forward” was a staple part of the Molineux crowd’s constructive feedback. Little did I know that it was a genuine, well-researched and successful part of the Wolves DNA!

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I happened upon this article this evening - a really fascinating read and even more so with the Wolves connection within.

When I first supported Wolves (and even until very recently), “gerrit forward” was a staple part of the Molineux crowd’s constructive feedback. Little did I know that it was a genuine, well-researched and successful part of the Wolves DNA!

2-3-5.Bring it back!

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
2-3-5.Bring it back!
There's a decent argument that Man City do just that in attack these days, just in a very different way to the past!

Walker and Cancelo sit as half-backs either side of Rodri slightly inside (instead of overlapping) making 3; Wingers keep the width, 8 and 10 get up in support of and go beyond the 9, which makes 5.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Interesting article, I knew the basic idea of 3 passes, lump it down to the winger, smash it over, bang it in. Still love that best to be honest. Love a great winger.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article, I knew the basic idea of 3 passes, lump it down to the winger, smash it over, bang it in. Still love that best to be honest. Love a great winger.
It was bloody effective when I started watching Wolves regularly from 1957. Four seasons running we scored over 100 goals, result: 2 league championships, one 2nd place, one third place and easily the most exciting Wolves team I have ever seen

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a decent argument that Man City do just that in attack these days, just in a very different way to the past!

Walker and Cancelo sit as half-backs either side of Rodri slightly inside (instead of overlapping) making 3; Wingers keep the width, 8 and 10 get up in support of and go beyond the 9, which makes 5.
spot on. they also score a lot from long balls too. liverpool do a slightly different version. the big difference is that both teams win the ball back when they can in the opposition's half. the other major modern benefit is better pitches. on wet muddy piches city's game is much less effective

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing as according to Jeff we are not in a position to challenge the so called Big 6, can we get our managers to adopt something similar to 2-3-5 at least it would stop me falling to sleep during games, the 2 most obvious things that we lack for that formation are a fast back 2 and the third midfielder, otherwise as someone else has said Man City and I think Liverpool seem to play in a similar style/formation to the 2-3-5 TAA plays more as a winger than a full back and Robertson is noted for his attacking ability, but both teams city and pool have fast covering centre backs in Dias and VVD.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing that all these years later, the 2 best teams in the country by a mile employ a number of these methods. Bravo Mr Reep, for being a true visionary.

Citeh under early Guardiola scored so many Sterling/Sane tap-ins it was untrue. Modern stat analysis puts low cut backs across the 6 yard box as THE most dangerous and effective pass in the game. This guy had that figured out 70+ years ago.
Liverpool are the most voracious pressing team in the league. Why? Because Rangnick found the same things as Reep did through data analysis, that high turnovers were most effective chances.
When they’re in possession, they try to draw out a press, then….knock high balls to their wingers.

What a guy.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love articles like this because it reminds me that for all the glitz and the glamour of modern football, it hasn't changed too much. It's just the same thing repackaged and old ideas given different names. Developments in technology give it the appearance of change in my opinion.

I'll push Stan Cullis' book one more time. If you read that you'll see how many ideas and debates going on today were happening back in the 50s.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d never heard of this bloke, fascinating stuff.

Back
Top Bottom