Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Can anyone explain clearly where we are heading ?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone here have the foggiest where we want to be as a club and how we are going to get there ?
Under previous owners it was clearly survival - 17th or better was the target.
Under Nuno it appeared to be European competition. But now I wouldnt know how to explain our target probably a weak - " The best we can do "
If I was a player wanting to join WWFC that is the first thing I would want to hear.
I have listened to Ask Wolves - honest .
So how would you explain our position in a POSITIVE way to a wanabee Wolves player that is thinking of signing a contract with WWFC ?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
I think it's increasingly clear that we need to protect the asset (formerly known as club) with as little investment as possible. So with Mendes and looking to buy players who will increase in value we will try to stay up, but not spend to squeeze into European football. In the meantime hope someone wanting at least a share in the club comes along and allows Fosun to realise what would be a good return on their investment.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone here have the foggiest where we want to be as a club and how we are going to get there ?
Under previous owners it was clearly survival - 17th or better was the target.
Under Nuno it appeared to be European competition. But now I wouldnt know how to explain our target probably a weak - " The best we can do "
If I was a player wanting to join WWFC that is the first thing I would want to hear.
I have listened to Ask Wolves - honest .
So how would you explain our position in a POSITIVE way to a wanabee Wolves player that is thinking of signing a contract with WWFC ?
In terms of your highlighted sentence, we'll provide you with the shop window to take you to the next step in your career to a club with ambition.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players will always want to come to the Premier league, knowing if they perform well they get massive exposure. Our issue at the moment is we are going for top end players. I'm guessing later in the window if we haven't landed them we'll lower our horizons

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
‘How does £40-50k per week and a rented house in Tettenhall grab you?’

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Slightly worried that Jeff Shi's new ambition is to be the Burnley of the West Midlands. Well, it worked for half a dozen seasons, Jeff...

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it's increasingly clear that we need to protect the asset (formerly known as club) with as little investment as possible. So with Mendes and looking to buy players who will increase in value we will try to stay up, but not spend to squeeze into European football. In the meantime hope someone wanting at least a share in the club comes along and allows Fosun to realise what would be a good return on their investment.
To increase player values to sell them on ala jota, we need to be playing substantially more attractive football. I have no problems with this model, but 2 years of turgid football has meant our players are not as appealing to other clubs. At the moment our players do well in an ultra defensive mode. Unless a team aspires to be the next stoke or burnley, we will continue to have issues in maximising player values and selling at the right time.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve long thought that a good way to describe us is as a “finishing school for super stars” .

The Problem of late is that even the unfinished superstars seem to be an astronomical price.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Jeff to player X…We think you will tear up the championship, sign for us and in season 23/24 you’ll be a star for us

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
some people really need to stop panicing anyone would think the window shuts tonight and we've done nothing

just because info on deals isn't all over the internet dosnt mean we ain't doing deals just be patient
To question is not to panic.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh great, another ‘lets slag off the club’ thread. Super! :rolleyes:
Thats the way you interpret giving a player a postive message ?
May be that says more about your feelings .
How about that message- over to you .

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least we have a generational talent playing for us.
And Leandor Dendoncker.

Not really sure what more I have.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh great, another ‘lets slag off the club’ thread. Super! :rolleyes:

So I guess you can't answer the question asked by the starter of the thread either ?

There's a major difference between slagging of the club and asking a genuine question about the vision for the club.

I personally can't see where we're heading either at it fills me with apathy towards next season.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's still a good while till the season, so a blessing.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To question is not to panic.
No but at times there has been panic on here and on the now closed thread.
The fact that we finished three times out of four seasons in the top ten is deemed irrelevant or that Fosun would protect their investment.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Playing time at a financially stable Premier League club, with exposure leading to a lucrative move to a bigger club if you perform well."

May not be the trumpet call we want as fans, but it will appeal to a certain bracket of young players, especially foreign players looking for a stepping stone move for a couple of years.

For Fosun, so long as we remain a financially healthy PL club and they can continue to grow the brand image, that's enough.

It's not romantic or aspirational, it just is what it is.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
To be honest, apart from the big clubs I don't think any clubs know where they are heading. Talk of 'projects' work well in the Championship and below because if you invest a good amount of money you can often (but not always) have some success. Just like our project. However, once you get to the Premier League, unless you're one of the big clubs or just had a massive state owned takeover, projects are good talk but mostly just talk.

Man City had a project and it continues (UAE owned), Liverpool had a project when they got Klopp in and invested, Newcastle now have a project (Saudi Arabia owned), and the one other team with a real project now are Spurs. Man United (a super club) and Chelsea have had much more money then the rest of the teams outside that top 4 and so always have at least top 4 potential. Like Spurs, Arsenal's revenue from their newish stadium also sets them slightly apart, but even they have struggled in recent years.

The project for most other teams is to stay in the division and do as well as they can. They've had good seasons and bad seasons. Go through them all. Who, outside the moneybags of the top 6 have a clear project? West Ham (expanding their stadium so maybe) but they could go back down to midtable and no one would be surprised. Brighton? Palace? Southampton? Everton? Brentford? Leicester? Leeds etc. etc. The plan is to finish has high as possible, but they have good and bad seasons. In fact, outside the top 6, we have been of the better and most consistent team over the last 4 years.

It was easy for Jeff to say we had a project in the Championship because there is room to make big improvements, but as he found out when we got to the Premier League, it's different gravy there, and they realise it's going to take huge money to improve and break into the top six. For the rest of the teams the closest they come to a project is a new manager (see the Wolves project last season when Lage was supposed to turn us into a more attacking team). Some managers do well for a while some don't, then they get sacked and a new 'project' starts.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're heading into our 5th season in the premier league, having finished 7th twice, 12th and 10th. The aim is Europe but the premier league is a competition after all; it's the strength of our recruitment that has got us to these places.
We are only going to do that by keeping our best players and getting/developing better young ones. Note the word better. We play to a very high standard now If; not everybody at every other club that comes in is going to better. For example, if we do the kind of business we did in the Jota selling window we are only going one way.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Playing time at a financially stable Premier League club, with exposure leading to a lucrative move to a bigger club if you perform well."

May not be the trumpet call we want as fans, but it will appeal to a certain bracket of young players, especially foreign players looking for a stepping stone move for a couple of years.

For Fosun, so long as we remain a financially healthy PL club and they can continue to grow the brand image, that's enough.

You mean Silva Trincao Vintinha Cutrone Campana and Vallejo ?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You mean Silva Trincao Vintinha Cutrone Campana and Vallejo ?

Sadly, yes. And there are others you can add - Jordao, Otasowie, Hoever. But Fosun don't need every player to be a success, just a few here and there. Jota, Ait-Nouri, Kilman. I'm not saying it benefits Wolves, just that this is the level and category of player they're targeting.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that it's flawed and will end in tears. I think Fosun loved the idea of owning a PL club, but the actuality is far different from the reality, as many have found out before them. I don't think they're underhand in any way, I don't even think they're cheap or staunchly unambitious, I just think they don't have the heart for it. They'll trade and invest in younger, not-quite-there-yet-if-they'll-ever-be players, exactly like Cutrone and Silva, and they'll occasionally cash in on a good one, until they reach a point where the average players outweigh the Kilmans and Ait-Nouris, and at that point we'll be cut adrift.

Stourwolf

Reaction score

Dangerous game that. Could easily go down with our current squad and fosuns investment is in tatters.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, yes. And there are others you can add - Jordao, Otasowie, Hoever. But Fosun don't need every player to be a success, just a few here and there. Jota, Ait-Nouri, Kilman. I'm not saying it benefits Wolves, just that this is the level and category of player they're targeting.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that it's flawed and will end in tears. I think Fosun loved the idea of owning a PL club, but the actuality is far different from the reality, as many have found out before them. I don't think they're underhand in any way, I don't even think they're cheap or staunchly unambitious, I just think they don't have the heart for it. They'll trade and invest in younger, not-quite-there-yet-if-they'll-ever-be players, exactly like Cutrone and Silva, and they'll occasionally cash in on a good one, until they reach a point where the average players outweigh the Kilmans and Ait-Nouris, and at that point we'll be cut adrift.
Fosun have no ambition, no idea how to communicate to the fans who they have little regard for and quite clearly if they ever had an interest in the once great club that's long long gone.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have no ambition, no idea how to communicate to the fans who they have little regard for and quite clearly if they ever had an interest in the once great club that's long long gone.
And yet incredibly, they are still our most successful owners in half a lifetime (by a country mile).

Just imagine where we’d be if we had decent owners!

Reaction score
We think you are a great football player, we are a feeder club to bigger and better things in your career. Join us and you will get a better wage and training facilities than you have now plus you will have the best advertisement of your skills in the shape of the premier league the most watched football league in the world.

We are just a stepping stone, you will have to play in a run down stadium called molineux most weeks but the pitch is great, plus You will get to meet all the big stars when you play the top six. Also as a bonus if you do really well you will get an avatar on fortnight, sign here please.

;)

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This window will tell us everything we need to know.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that may not be far off with Fosun. Just thinking of some of the things Jeff has occasionally admitted to being surprised by various aspects. So presumably his seniors were, too. Seems like they underestimated just how far ahead and entrenched the super-clubs of Europe are. And that those clubs will fight dirty to prevent any new upstarts threatening their cartel. That the "League and Trophy success" return based on money spent is not linear. It's exponential. And they don't have the billion or so spare to get us to that position.

Also, how volatile the fans are. Again, something Jeff has mentioned, that gratitude doesn't last long. Our best season for 40 years is forgotten overnight as soon as a bad run sets in. I think they thought we'd be appreciative and full of gratitude forever. But it never works like that with football. (that title means little to Leicester fans right now).

What they've done is raise expectation, while possibly lowering their own ambitions. The difference in their communication from those first few seasons is really noticable.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are going to be mid table for the foreseeable. That in itself is fine if you ignore all the big talk when fosun took over. Question is which way will we fall eventually, will fosun find inspiration again and invest or will they just pull the plug and get out. Personally i suspect the latter is most likely two or three years from now.

Back
Top Bottom