Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Can anyone explain clearly where we are heading ?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They did pass back when things were not on in the final third, but normally to the midfield, who were, as I said considerably more mobile and prepared to carry the ball forward, make through passes on a more regular basis than we saw from the first team. This was often a gamble, which probably contributed to that defensive frailty which was evident in some of the games.

Yes, whenever I watch the Under-23s, that's pretty much how it plays out. They are also not clinical in front of goal. Seen a few matches where they've dominated play but cant' score. Then get hit by a sucker punch and concede. That final against Albion typified it, but it was happening last season too.

Very much echoes of the first XI and shows that this lack of clinical finishing is a problem running right through the club. Apart from the women's team, of course!

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
With China putting the block on fosun investing the way they did and the last 2/3 poor transfer window's we are not as attractive to quality players as when we were 1st promoted.

To sign the players needed to keep us top half we're probably going to need to overpay a bit and we haven't got the money apparently.

There's a few weeks to turn things around and I'll be very happy to eat my words but right now I'd say the best we can hope for is mid table and possibly be prepared for an uncomfortable season down the bottom.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a team , that if played to their capacity , could do very well.
Over to Bruno .

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo type signings are exactly what the fan base wet theirself over and craving for as they always do. Big name, big fee from a big club and when it doesn't go to plan In their eyes (imo he had a cracking 2nd season) it's the clubs fault for spending the big dollar on someone!

Lose lose situation.

Buy potential then its 'what about now'. Buy now for big money, doesn't work out for the player then it means the board are clueless.
My point is we need a better stragedy going forward from here. If Fosun jump ship so will Mendes and all the money agents.

We need a more self sufficient model if we are going to be dropped.

We need to be more Ajax like.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point is we need a better stragedy going forward from here. If Fosun jump ship so will Mendes and all the money agents.
If we keep the Portuguese connection and money is available, Mendes will be around.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With China putting the block on fosun investing the way they did and the last 2/3 poor transfer window's we are not as attractive to quality players as when we were 1st promoted.

To sign the players needed to keep us top half we're probably going to need to overpay a bit and we haven't got the money apparently.

There's a few weeks to turn things around and I'll be very happy to eat my words but right now I'd say the best we can hope for is mid table and possibly be prepared for an uncomfortable season down the bottom.
As of now, I'd happily take mid-table.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
Depending on what mood I'm in were either going to be fine in mid table or were in a relegation scrap.
The reality in this league is most teams outside the top six, apart from a couple of normally no hopers, are all in the same boat which is a season dictated by how you fare with injuries, suspensions and a bit of luck/lack of luck here and there.
I see it as that I have no control over the spending and signings or playing style so the only thing I can do is support whoever is out there, playing whatever formation the manager decides and just hope for the best.
I know we all bleed Gold and Black but this is supposed to be a hobby that takes us away from the hum drum of everyday life, part of me wishes we could go back to the old days where social media and the need for constant information didn't exist and just rely on news through daily papers mainly and just waited to see who we had in the team at the start of the season.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading all the latest articles about the state Fosun are in, and self sufficiency etc, it seems to me that our immediate future is mid table mediocrity. I can understand the frustration about wanting to push on, but we are not rich enough or big enough to be able to crack the top six at the moment. Maybe Fosun's long term plan will succeed with sustained slow growth, only time will tell.
All I can say is that I would not wish to swap this for our previous situation with Mick in charge or Sean Dyche, as some people seem to want and Karl Henry in midfield (all due respect Karl)
I'll settle for where we are at the moment for the time being.

Reaction score
I can understand people's frustrations regarding the first team at the moment.

However, what's pretty clear to me is that the youth teams are getting better and better under Fosun.

In all probability our only chance of cracking the top 6 is if a crop of top class youngsters come through together, similar to Utd's class of 92. Unlikely I know but not entirely out of the question.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see lots of different points and arguments but I just dont get the smoke and mirrors and lack of anything coming from the club. They seem to enjoy watching the fans implode. Its crazy.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

However, what's pretty clear to me is that the youth teams are getting better and better under Fosun.

In all probability our only chance of cracking the top 6 is if a crop of top class youngsters come through together, similar to Utd's class of 92. Unlikely I know but not entirely out of the question.
Can't believe that will happen.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s going to take time and patience. God knows how long it’ll take if we get any significant money via esports, music and fashion, so developing a large amount of younger players, either to keep or sell is probably our only way up.
We don’t need ‘Fosun Out’ signs at games……we have to be patient.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will look at the team on 1 September . And I think we will all know by then if Fosun are a busted flush .
This is said every transfer window and when the flush is busted, there are pleadings of "no wait NEXT window will really show us if they mean bizness". I've personally seen enough, Fosun aren't even sitting at the table anymore let alone busting flushes.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll take years of mid table stagnation over returning to the championship any day of the week
Uh clubs don't really do "years of midtable stagnation" without it resulting in a return to the championship. There is a reason why many here are in desperate urgency, we DO NOT want to return to the championship which we will at this rate. The writing is on the wall and many just want to do the ostrich.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot is riding on one man Bruno.

I wish him all the best and fantastic cooperation by all players. He will need it - we can excel if Neto, Traore, Sa , Podence , Hwang and Silva hit their highs together.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a team , that if played to their capacity , could do very well.
Over to Bruno .
I don't know if agree with that. We have some superb individual players (e.g. Neto, Neves, Mouts, RAN, Kilman, Sa etc.) but the side and squad are unbalanced. Yes, when played in a very defensive shape we are still able to be solid. But... we have no one energetic and creative in midfield who moves with the ball or breaks the lines, we have a slow defense, and we have forwards who don't score. Some key additions would I think get the best from our many very good players, but I think it's a stretch, even if MGW and Traore start, and Neves stays, to say this is a team as things stand that set up right would do very well; I think the weaknesses would still be apparent. Obviously though it would help if Lage stopped having his barmpot moments!

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know if agree with that. We have some superb individual players (e.g. Neto, Neves, Mouts, RAN, Kilman, Sa etc.) but the side and squad are unbalanced. Yes, when played in a very defensive shape we are still able to be solid. But... we have no one energetic and creative in midfield who moves with the ball or breaks the lines, we have a slow defense, and we have forwards who don't score. Some key additions would I think get the best from our many very good players, but I think it's a stretch, even if MGW and Traore start, and Neves stays, to say this is a team as things stand that set up right would do very well; I think the weaknesses would still be apparent. Obviously though it would help if Lage stopped having his barmpot moments!
The first two parts of the hightlighted text are key to why we play defensive-boring-no scoring football. We cannot be exposed on breaks. Very few forwards can compensate for not committing the numbers forward. Looking at our business unless we get the players in defensively and defensive mid it will be more of the same but slightly worst.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's seems obvious with recent activities that Fosun are involved in a massive cost cutting exercise. To what extent we will know more by the end of the transfer window, and to what ends is anybody's guess. Could be trimming down and cashing in with a view to a sale.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's seems obvious with recent activities that Fosun are involved in a massive cost cutting exercise. To what extent we will know more by the end of the transfer window, and to what ends is anybody's guess. Could be trimming down and cashing in with a view to a sale.
Every company can cost cut , if they have no intention of providing decent goods or services. So as you say we will have to wait and see.

I think a lot of individuals will be reducing their leisure expenditure over the coming years

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wish him all the best and fantastic cooperation by all players. He will need it - we can excel if Neto, Traore, Sa , Podence , Hwang and Silva hit their highs together.
I see a major flaw here.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uh clubs don't really do "years of midtable stagnation" without it resulting in a return to the championship. There is a reason why many here are in desperate urgency, we DO NOT want to return to the championship which we will at this rate. The writing is on the wall and many just want to do the ostrich.

Tell that to Everton.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Up ****s creek, as it stands today .

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In answer to the OP my suggestion is to open your manhole cover and peer down.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Up ****s creek, as it stands today .
As it stands today, we are 10th. in the hardest, fastest and most prestigious football league in the world. And, it’s not a fluke, because we’ve finished three times in the top 10 in the last few years.
That’s not too shabby at all….. very, very respectful.

Sooooo….no creeks in sight, no streams not even a rivulet in sight.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands today, we are 10th. in the hardest, fastest and most prestigious football league in the world. And, it’s not a fluke, because we’ve finished three times in the top 10 in the last few years.

I would worry that there are people at the club who think exactly that.

The new season kicks off four weeks today. We don't get to keep our points from last season any more than Man City do. It doesn't matter that we had a purple patch from October through December any more than it matters Everton had a stinker.

Not a single thing that's happened before counts, not three top 10 finishes or a visit to League 1 a few years ago. In four weeks we start again on 0 points, same as every other team.

So I would really hope there's not a single person at Wolves thinking "It's okay, we're the 10th best team in the country, relax, we've got this." Because they're in for a rude awakening.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The new season kicks off four weeks today. We don't get to keep our points from last season any more than Man City do. It doesn't matter that we had a purple patch from October through December any more than it matters Everton had a stinker.

Not a single thing that's happened before counts, not three top 10 finishes or a visit to League 1 a few years ago. In four weeks we start again on 0 points, same as every other team.

So I would really hope there's not a single person at Wolves thinking "It's okay, we're the 10th best team in the country, relax, we've got this." Because they're in for a rude awakening.
Yet so many tell us on here that we finished last season in relegation form so we'll get relegated this season without wholesale changes

You can't have it both ways

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet so many tell us on here that we finished last season in relegation form so we'll get relegated this season without wholesale changes

You can't have it both ways

Not me. New season is a fresh start from both angles, so our bad form is no more an indicator of what will happen than the good, even if it's more recent. But the same is true for Everton, Leeds, Southampton, all clubs. Everyone starts at 0.

So anyone who believes things should be fine because we finished 6 points ahead of Villa or 13 points ahead of Leeds or just above ten other clubs in general last season, they can't have it both ways either.

We have four weeks, as a club, before the first ball is kicked, to give ourselves the best possible chance at competing in the new season. That's plenty of time, if used well. But it needs to be.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And Donk lol.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Presently neither the squad, tactics or the manager are good enough. If there are no significant improvements in the next few weeks it will end badly.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How we get on next season will depend on injuries. Our first team can give anyone a good game. However, lose a couple of key players and it hits us hard.

This is the toughest league in the world and we will need to dig deep and scrap for every point.

I’m hoping Neto returns to his previous self. Also looking forward to seeing more of Chiquinho. Love their appetite and zest for the game.

Fasten yer seat belts.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s not too shabby at all….. very, very respectful.

Sooooo….no creeks in sight, no streams not even a rivulet in sight.

Right now we are actually bottom of the table. 20th :(

D

Deleted member sbk12944

This is spot on imo unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom