Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley verdict thread

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno beat Burnley once ! It runs deep.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've lost our identity. Neutrals used to like us - I suspect they avoid our matches like the plague now.

Neutrals stopped liking us when we got into Europe. We've had the "boring" tag for quite a while, amongst neutrals.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8 defeats in 13, wow, I didn't think it had been that bad.

I'm just glad somehow we're 8th and have nothing to worry about over the next few weeks.

Thats actually bad enough to get him terminated.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****. I wouldn’t give a to55 if Bruno went in the summer. His substitutions are crap and we’re no better than we were under Nuno. Need a better manager in place not just a mate of Jorge’s.

There was no substitution that could save us today. Other than Lewandoski. Or Kane. Or Jota. Or anyone who can actually score goals at this level. We don't have that player, so what else can we do other than keep a match tight and hope the opponents defence drops a clanger?

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul doesnt play in the box anymore. He chases around and occasionally trues to burst through, usually unsuccessfully. Such a shame . Fabio beginning to look like a footballer at last.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neutrals stopped liking us when we got into Europe. We've had the "boring" tag for quite a while, amongst neutrals.

We've definitely been better to watch this season than last. And possibly better than the season before that. I remember a fair few comments in the media around us being a dull watch even during that Europe season. Every match being 0-0 at half time etc.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8 defeats in 13 since we gave Adama away for free, which includes exiting the FA Cup and throwing away the possibility of European football.

Even if people want to keep with the idea that he didn't make much of a difference, it's clear January is what cost us. It was a truly awful window.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So angry watching that tbh, as soon as we go one down you just know we won't get back into the game a real lack of character and lack of ideas going forward... We aren't even creating any chances for crying out loud! We don't get the ball into the box and when was the last time we had someone run in one on one with the keeper?

Jimenez is well off form and has been for most of the season he needs a real kick up the backside as if he carries on playing the way he has been I feel he is player that needs replacing in our first team... While Silva isn't scoring as well at least he is getting involved pressing and moving off the ball.

Hwang is actually dreadful the fact he was on loan and we needlessly signed is a joke questions need to be asked about that signing as he is no way a premier league player...

Really REALLY disappointed with that performance.
Will they answer the hwang question in the askwolves roundtable? No they won't. This looks like a managed decline. I don't trust shi and i don't trust sellars. Sort out recruitment and spend some money or sell the club. They are making the squad worse not better.

I shudder with what they will do with the neves sale money.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul doesnt play in the box anymore. He chases around and occasionally trues to burst through, usually unsuccessfully. Such a shame . Fabio beginning to look like a footballer at last.

Takes far too many touches and kills moves off by being ponderous.

When he does have a shot in the box, he hits it with zero conviction.

Would've been best for all if he'd retired after the injury.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yet another performance against an average side (we should beat on paper) where we play OK for spells, have plenty of possession, have a couple chances, fail to score, opposition score, we run out of ideas and make some late ineffective subs.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is some good news though, no sending offs and no penalty against us. Also if it means Everton getting relegated it will have been worth the loss!

So you'd take a loss if it means Everton get relegated??
I couldnt give a stuff about any other team or their position , I want Wolves to win every game!

As for the verdict....
Predictable!
Viewers around the world must turn off in their millions when Wolves come on, we are so boring to watch turn the games into a chore with our tactics/ style of play..... is this really what Fosun want with their investment?

Boly was our best.... Jimenez, Hwang ( the idiocy of the guy giving a blatant push to his opponent when we are in the box chasing the game in injury time sums his performance up) and Moutinho our worst.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Burnley fans were really enjoying themselves that last half hour. None of that tension that we would have 1-0 up.
They knew that we weren't going to score.
Yes thought the same, other way around - would be panicking.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another defeat against very limited opposition. Didn’t create enough when we were on top and ultimately ran out of ideas (and heart) in the last 30 minutes.

8 defeats in 13 since we let Adama go and gambled that none of our midfielders got injured. Ultimately, that gamble has resulted in 0 points from games against Palace, Leeds, Newcastle and Burnley and has cost us Europe.

Fabio a bright spot and didn’t deserve to come off. Moutinho poor (and lost his runner for the goal). Raul struggled. Hwang just isn’t very good.

Sa 5
Boly 6
Coady 5
Saiss 6
Semedo 6
Moutinho 5
Dendoncker 5
Jonny 7
Hwang 5
Fabio 7
Raul 5

Very frustrating that having got ourselves into such a good position at the end of January, we’ve shot ourselves in the foot and passed up an absolutely glorious opportunity that might not come around again for a very long time.
Thanks Tring for an actual verdict post.
It gets a bit tedious scrolling through page after page of people just moaning

R

reanswolf

The engine room, midfield, is pedal power.
Are people surprised we are so dismal?
I've got tickets for Chelsea away, perhaps my lad will see us score our 1st away goal in 5 games, but then again, probably not.
To think some Wolves fans want us to keep Donk in midfield next season. Why?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would get Shi and Sellars to watch our last ten matches against Burnley on a spool for 10 days until they understand why we drop points to them every year.
But are they able enough to understand or will we they sign another Silva or Trincao.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another drab performance, the results are slightly better than last season but the performances aren't. Still dull and uninspiring football. This squad needs a serious shakeup.
Yes it does but I can see our best players leave rather than better come in.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I clocked that too. I watched Man City yesterday. I know they're in a different stratosphere, but the way they move move move move is absolutely exemplary. Fabio moved around but Hwang and Jimenez today were just pedestrian

I agree with Tring's ratings. I thought Coady was impressive but poor for their goal. Everyone else was just very ineffective.

I agree overall. But I think one player is now getting the microscope turned on him, resulting in the mistakes of others going unnoticed. None of the front 3 were brilliant. Though in approach play, they all had good moments, let down by a poor final ball or decision. Hwang and Raul were moving just as much as Fabio. They didn't lose the ball as much, though. On expected assists Raul and Hwang were highest. Fabio on zero, he created nothing. On XG, Fabio was highest (still abysmal at 0.19).

Are we know only wanting running workhorses? As that's all Fabio did. For all his endevour, he created nothing for nobody else, and missed the couple of half chances others created for him. Add on a couple of low crosses that he was nowhere near. Face the truth, he's just not that good yet masks hit by his flapping arms running style that makes him busier than he really is. :D

<EDIT> Didn't mean to sound that harsh on Fabio, he is still very young while the other 2 are at peak, allegedly. We shouldn't need to be hoping a work-in-progress 19 year old up front can get us into Europe. And we can't go 3-5-2 as we have a chronic lack of midfield options.

Last edited:

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mouts is still good enough, but he isnt good enough anymore to control a midfield by himself. He's easily worth a contract, but we all knew we needed a midfielder in January in case we lost one of ours for a while, and its come back to bite us in the rear end.
No time for sentiment, shouldn’t be starting next season but fine on the bench. We need to be more dynamic.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chiquinho should get plenty of minutes now the season is done. At least we will get some intensity from him rather than the tippy tappy *******s from the rest of the impotent forwards.

He won't though, of course.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was in the bob lord stand as far from the wolves fans as the stand permits, jesus wept the burnley fans were mega loud.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the bob lord stand as far from the wolves fans as the stand permits, jesus wept the burnley fans were mega loud.

When you look like you are going down and you beat a team in 8th, to give you a chance of staying up, Kidderminster Harriers would be loud

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same as all season. Nothing out of the ordinary today. I can't be surprised when a team with no goal scorers doesn't score goals. The issue in both this and the previous match is not the opponents "1". It's our "0". Same as the first three matches this season. Same as the home match against Burnley.

Shuffle our squad around and make up any tactic you like, draft in any manager you like, our lack of goal scorers will catch us out sooner rather than later. Am just grateful we are good enough defensively (Boly, Semedo & Jonny all excellent defensively, a bit concerned about Coady looking shaky again, though) . The only way we were ever going to score was from a set piece, and the few we got were not good enough. Well, there was another way - multiple slip ups by opponents as done by Villa, Leeds, Arsenal, Watford and gave our goal scoring a veneer of hope that has since proven unfounded. Burnley defence didn't oblige, though, the rotters. :(

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another Bruno bottlejob.

A lucky boy this season, he won't be next.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No time for sentiment, shouldn’t be starting next season but fine on the bench. We need to be more dynamic.
Tbh you could make that comment for pretty much all the players today. Ist half ok, 2nd half clueless. We need wholesale changes in the summer but the sort of players we need to upgrade will want CL, not mid-table obscurity.

fleck1

Reaction score
A result you could have put your house on. It's become a recurring theme since Nuno's first year, from championship to 4 seasons in the Premier league. Seem happy enough to go toe to toe with the big boys and have a plan to tackle them games. But when it comes to the scrap and needing to take it to teams we are constantly found wanting.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A flat performance. As if the team had nothing to play or strive for…..same as the last few games.
No urgency, hunger or fire-in-the-belly.

Has Bruno lost the part or all dressing room ? It’s a fair question because most of the squad saw us play like this under Nuno. Isn’t it reasonable that some of the players are disappointed? They thought we’d be a more attacking team this year but take out Podence and we’re very like last year.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has Bruno lost the part or all dressing room ? It’s a fair question because most of the squad saw us play like this under Nuno. Isn’t it reasonable that some of the players are disappointed? They thought we’d be a more attacking team this year but take out Podence and we’re very like last year.
Yep, Bruno was brought in to improve the performances and it must be acknowledged he has too often failed to do that. This was interchangeable with nearly every other Burnley game.

R

reanswolf

A flat performance. As if the team had nothing to play or strive for…..same as the last few games.
No urgency, hunger or fire-in-the-belly.

A Neves-less Wolves is desperately weak offensively.

That's the key issue. Even then we have stagnated. Spent £50m on Championship standard strikers.

Back
Top Bottom