Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Mic’d Up

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
me too.
Back, back, back, back.
When the ball goes out -"I'll throw it in behind" (the defense)

Yes its a snap shot in time . A snippet of training.
But I would have preferred forward, forward, forward. Tora, tora, tora! :)
Actually, if you watch it again, he's asking the players to look forwards and not just take the easy pass option. He's organising them from the back to shift one side to next, creating options.
Dropping the extra ball in is something I used to do a lot in rugby coaching. It means you have to readjust to the situation quickly and work to give options to attack, rather than setting up a coach-controlled dynamic. The players have to take control, quickly, of a new situation, so it is more accurate to a game situation. A coach might have worked initially on certain situations and explained how he wants attack/defence to progress, but the extra ball allows for a more dynamic and open situation, like a counter attack in a real game.
I hope that what I've written doesn't sound patronising, but I think you misread the session on that score.
I'm no fan of Lage and hoped he'd go at the end of last season, but that one session is in a wider context of training that we can't see, and I personally think it's a quite good, player centered activity, and Lage has quite a good way with the players.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's interesting, would like to see more on it. Was it English footballers? Probably stereotyping, but European footballers in general do seem better educated than ours.
I think the days of “thick” footballers is dwindling to be honest, not least because as part of having Academy Status the players education is a part of it. A lot of the academies are linked to the best private schools in the country now.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually, if you watch it again, he's asking the players to look forwards and not just take the easy pass option. He's organising them from the back to shift one side to next, creating options.
Dropping the extra ball in is something I used to do a lot in rugby coaching. It means you have to readjust to the situation quickly and work to give options to attack, rather than setting up a coach-controlled dynamic. The players have to take control, quickly, of a new situation, so it is more accurate to a game situation. A coach might have worked initially on certain situations and explained how he wants attack/defence to progress, but the extra ball allows for a more dynamic and open situation, like a counter attack in a real game.
I hope that what I've written doesn't sound patronising, but I think you misread the session on that score.
I'm no fan of Lage and hoped he'd go at the end of last season, but that one session is in a wider context of training that we can't see, and I personally think it's a quite good, player centered activity, and Lage has quite a good way with the players.
Yep, get all that and agree.
Just unfortunate that he SHOUTS repeatedly, back, back,back. I wonder what people remember?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I found it Interesting the split between players he calls by their first name (Morgan, Jonny, Jose, Yerson, Leander) and those by their surname (Podence, Coady, Boly)
Always found that weird too.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
You'd have grown up very confused in my family. All my aunts and uncles had accents.

Consider for a second, how the English would sound to foreigners if we all spoke second or third languages (which we don't).

Honestly I struggle more with a thick black country accent than I do Bruno's.
Went to Bathams in Brierly Hill, must be over 20 years ago. My uncle's friend had such a strong Black Country accent I thought he was a Geordie.. :oops:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found it Interesting the split between players he calls by their first name (Morgan, Jonny, Jose, Yerson, Leander) and those by their surname (Podence, Coady, Boly)
Some people like to be called by surnames or nicknames more than their first names when playing and training. It is fairly common.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the days of “thick” footballers is dwindling to be honest, not least because as part of having Academy Status the players education is a part of it. A lot of the academies are linked to the best private schools in the country now.
Very true! Saka at arsenal is one clever lad!

Frank lampard is another very well educated footballer.

The new generation are very different to what we grew up with and even changed a lot since grealish came through.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't know how the players understand a word he's saying. When he was talking to Gibbs-White you could see Morgan looked utterly bewildered trying to work out what he was on about. I like Bruno but the language barrier is far worse than I imagined judging by that footage

I understood everything he said pretty clearly TBH. Don't understand this criticism.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's funny to me. This time last year Celtic released a mic'd up video of their new manager doing basically the same things. Fans lapped it up. Poured over it. Turned one of his key phrases into a catchphrase that defined the season and got plastered on all their merch.

Wolves do it....we need to criticize his accent and call him a sunday league coach.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's funny to me. This time last year Celtic released a mic'd up video of their new manager doing basically the same things. Fans lapped it up. Poured over it. Turned one of his key phrases into a catchphrase that defined the season and got plastered on all their merch.

Wolves do it....we need to criticize his accent and call him a sunday league coach.
It’s unfortunately why we have a reputation for having rubbish fans.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s unfortunately why we have a reputation for having rubbish fans.

I've always thought Wolves to be in an (unfortunately) unique position that our dramatic rises and falls since the 50's have meant each generation of Wolves fan is effectively supporting a different club with different expectations and demads. (Mine is a fourth division club with a great past who are now back where they belong.) But more and more lately I find the fanbase much more united....in having completely different opinions and expectations to me. And yep, more and more I find fans of OTHER clubs thinking Wolves fans are loud but bad.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very true! Saka at arsenal is one clever lad!

Frank lampard is another very well educated footballer.

The new generation are very different to what we grew up with and even changed a lot since grealish came through.
I saw recently that when Jude Bellingham did his GCSE’s he got 10 A’s or the equivalent with the new system. Jude was one that benefitted by being put the private school system by blues.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst fans being disproportionately critical is unfortunate, those that try so hard to differentiate themselves from the section of supporters that are negative are equally problematic. I witness many situations where those that oppose the dissenting voices selectively reframe comments that don't necessarily have a critical undertone into a context that suits their agenda, to fuel the bi-partisan gap between 'Happy Clappers' and 'Doom Mongers'

This is one of those situations. The accent wasn't a criticism, it was an observation that I was surprised that he has to try so hard to get his point across and wonder that some players may misunderstand certain instructions or maybe feel they can't speak up and ask what Bruno means for fear of recrimination due to the pervasive culture in dressing rooms.

The Sunday league comment, on the other hand, was a criticism.

Happy Clappers, Doom Mongers, Schismogenesis.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope in a few days it's not ' Bruno stiched up'

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some right miserable ****ers on here. He seems to have a very clear understanding of what he wants which he is conveying in two languages (maybe three as thought some Spanish at one point).

Indeed..... From my experience alot of English people struggle to speak the language , let alone speak fluently in 2 or 3 other languages that most " foreigners" can.
As for players understanding a foreign coach, football is the same around the globe, same pitch, same number of players playing the same positions...... its not rocket science.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed..... From my experience alot of English people struggle to speak the language , let alone speak fluently in 2 or 3 other languages that most " foreigners" can.
As for players understanding a foreign coach, football is the same around the globe, same pitch, same number of players playing the same positions...... its not rocket science.
I don't think it's a problem of accent --- by and large his pronunciation of individual words is clear and comprehensible. Where he struggles is with sentence construction, especially if what he is trying to say is more complex than a simple 'do this, do that'. Nuno had a similar problem, but with Lage it's worse.

Back
Top Bottom